/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

raw.githubusercontent.com/dylanaraps/wal.vim/master/colors/wal.vim
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Linux*

What are some cool terminal commands for the GNU system?

Install void

s/Linux/GNU/

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

rm /bin/rm

They should unironically use that logo

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

s/Linux/GNU/g

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

Someone post a picture whth a white background.

s/Linux/GNU/g

How do I get vim to respect my terminal color scheme? I literally cannot find out how to do so, but maybe one of you know.

But user, newfriends may read it and unironically believe. Think of the kids.

*eats random shit from foot*

>Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008
Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Programming is trash, there's a reason so many programmers move up into managerial or consulting positions, or simply change careers. Fuck this shitty pasta.

Have you defined your colors in ~/.Xresources and run "xrdb ~/.Xresources"?

I'll suggest using st or another truecolor terminal. Because that will make the color codes absolute and not affect vims color pallette either.

Use this colorscheme: raw.githubusercontent.com/dylanaraps/wal.vim/master/colors/wal.vim
Blue board.

*doesn't write code*
*expects credit for code*

retard

$file /bin /rm
/bin /rm: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version[...]
$file /usr /bin /rm
/usr /bin /rm: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version [...]

why do i have 2 rm's? The coreutils package only provide /usr/bin/rm and /bin/rm is not owned by any package. Ignore the unnecesary spaces, Sup Forums thinks its spam without them

PS: Obviously you do full truecolor then.

The alternative is to use some 8 or 256 color scheme nonsense and match the palettes or such, but that is fucking retarded.

> I am a lazy person, which is why I like open source, for other people to do work for me.
>> Torvalds, Linus (2015-01-15). Linus Torvalds on why he isn’t nice: "I don’t care about you". Retrieved on 2015-01-20.

Who manages the Linux kernel's git?

Nice

Do you mean the kernel of Linux, the Linux kernel, or Linux in general?

The kernel of the Linux Operating System

I think he is talking about Linux, the Kernel.

If linux is so great then why is it so easy to break it with one command? like chmod R *, one misstype and your system is fucking done, and that is a heavily used command. In windows it's impossible to break anything without having to click through 10 different warnings

Linux is not an operating system.

rd /S /Q C:\

>implying

That's actually GNU breaking, not Linux. Next time, please blame GNU.

rm /boot/vmlinu*

>If linux is so great
But Linux isn't great at all.
We are all just waiting for Hurd to be finished so we can ditch Linux.

There's a nice guideline which defines how an Unix-like operating system should work. It's called POSIX. Linux is just a part of it: the kernel.

GNU is not needed in the Linux Operating System. GNU is optional, and can be replaced.

You will never type that by mistake i am not talking on breaking shit on purpose

then don't run shit as root and avoid the CLI when possible

Linux is a kernel. GNU is an operating system. You can see the easy difference that Linux is simply, just, a kernel, while GNU is a full fledged operating system with kernel, userland, unix-like utilities, libs, shell and everything needed.

GNU is a set of userland utilities and a C library*

You're wrong. GNU has been an operating system for nearly a decade before the first lines of Linux were even written.

A full operating system needs a kernel. GNU doesn't have a complete kernel.

you take one part of the gnu os and combine it with linux instead of hurd and you have gnu/linux, two (incomplete) os in one
how hard is that to get

A full operating system needs a userland, compiler, clibs, shell and programs. Linux doesn't have anything of that.

No, I don't have such file, but I will look into this. The problem is, vim respected my terminal colors even without this file, but now it doesn't.
I actually compiled my terminal with true color support, and set 'termguicolors' in my vimrc, but now vim uses it's own colorscheme. But htop still respects terminal scheme.
>Use this colorscheme
That sets everything to text color, except comments, which are not part of my terminal colorscheme and some weird shade of blue.

BusyBox, clang, zsh+dash, etc.

Not part of Linux; i.e; third party programs. Meanwhile the GNU OS has GNU coreutrils, GNU gclib, bash, etc.

Does the GNU userland have a working kernel?

Yes. GNU Hurd, GNU Linux-libre, kFreeBSD, WSL.
How's are your phone / router OSes going?

>Hurd
Version 1.0??? X86-64? ARM?
>Linux-libre
Linux, not GNU
>kFreeBSD
BSD, not GNU
>WSL
>trying this hard

>>Version 1.0??? X86-64? ARM?
What's your point?
>Linux, not GNU
Wrong, it's a fork of Linux by the GNU project. Free Software, you know?
>BSD, not GNU
Eh, its free, it works, its fun to play around, where's your point?
>trying this hard
u-u too

>what's your point
Hurd will never be complete
>i-its a fork so that makes it GNU
Unless the fork made significant rewrites to the old codebase, it's still practically the same. All GNU did was remove firmware blobs.

Please stop with the rampant shitposting. Why do you care so much what people call it? It doesn't really matter if you call it Linux or GNU/Linux.

How do you turn on the blue light filter in KDE 5.11?

fug

You should probably get your autism checked out.

screen[/screen]

there are literally millions of people who use gnu+linux, thinking its yet another crap like macos and windows which is partly open source, but may also spy, some hobby thing made by linus torvalds
people dont know about free software, dont know about gnu, dont know about anything like that
people literally use an os they dont know the history about it, the reason why it exists, or even the name of it

That doesn't really matter in this thread as most people know about GNU. Also it's in the god damn thread title so stop shitting up the thread.

Ulrich Drepper did nothing wrong

What should I put on my server?

Gentoo

Hardened Gentoo.

A nice figurine or small potted plant.

The name "Linux" says X and "GNU/Linux" say Y.
Usually nobody would give a wet shit about a name, and I agree that Linux actually sounds cooler, but the point is, the name "Linux" is backed up with corporate shills, botnet and cancer companies who force "Open Source" instead of Free Software and "Linux" instead of "GNU with Linux". Their goal is to silence the origin, the culture, the roots of our community for the sole purpose of making some sheckles. While making some bucks isn't bad, it's bad when it forces cancer like spyware and malware ontu us. The "Linux" folks, doesn't give a shit. And that's basically the reason why the whole software revolution stopped and we're stuck with proprietary drivers and cpu botnet. Because we stopped caring, because we listened to /r/linux and we see proprietary software in GNU/Linux as an average rather than something polluting the air of our roots: Freedom.

how's grsecurity

its a meme

>gsecurity
devs are clowns, their patches are shit

BAD GOY. PLEASE PAY ME FOR YOUR KERNEL """SECURITY"""

Meme.

1.5 The role of a boot loader
=============================

The following is a quotation from Gordon Matzigkeit, a GRUB fanatic:

Some people like to acknowledge both the operating system and
kernel when they talk about their computers, so they might say they
use "GNU/Linux" or "GNU/Hurd". Other people seem to think that the
kernel is the most important part of the system, so they like to
call their GNU operating systems "Linux systems."

I, personally, believe that this is a grave injustice, because the
_boot loader_ is the most important software of all. I used to
refer to the above systems as either "LILO"(1) (*note Role of a
boot loader-Footnote-1::) or "GRUB" systems.

Unfortunately, nobody ever understood what I was talking about; now
I just use the word "GNU" as a pseudonym for GRUB.

So, if you ever hear people talking about their alleged "GNU"
systems, remember that they are actually paying homage to the best
boot loader around... GRUB!

We, the GRUB maintainers, do not (usually) encourage Gordon's level
of fanaticism, but it helps to remember that boot loaders deserve
recognition. We hope that you enjoy using GNU GRUB as much as we did
writing it.

How is this topic related to jews?
Not 100% correct. Actually the free software culture split up in order to be more friendly to corporations. So, it's our fault, not some shills fault. We started the whole shit.

>grub
use a better bootloader

Call me when you aren't using a GNU bootloader, kid.

coreboot directly loading the Linux kernel

Alright after i resintall my OS and set it up nice and clean just the way i like, what is the best way to make a copy of this state which i can simply restore the system to at any later time? Is it still dd?

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.

fuck off stallman

dd, cat, cp, rsync, whatever the fuck you want

Wrong thread? Nevermind, We'll ignore and wait for you to delete so you can post in the right thread.

why do you faggots reply
80 posts of crap

>GGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Because it keeps the GNU ball rolling. Brainlets don't get that they 're basically advertising GNU, looking up GNU, checking what all the fuzz is all about and maybe agree.

anyone know how I get opera 48 on debian? If I download from opera it always only serves me opera 45...

>Split up
Pretty sure bell labs started the open source software meme before rms did the fsf thing. Implying that the gpl is the source of the community and it is behind corrupted despite the fsf's best efforts is revisionist. More like rms has been continuously trying, and failing, to get people to change their ways for decades.

Agreed. These threads could be so nice without you people screeching.

Yes he did. He was a big meany and made a fork happen due to his stifling stewardship.

>family goy

He did practically the same things as Lennart Poettering did

you have a lot to learn
free software predate open source about a decade

FSF 1985.
OSI 1998.
Before 1998 it was the same community.

are you american? that would explain your poor reading comprehension

>t. europoor

>Before 1998 it was the same community.
It still is.
Are you stupid? That would explain your poor unice skills.