If you're a linux user, can you play windows games using steam if you open steam with wine?

if you're a linux user, can you play windows games using steam if you open steam with wine?

Other urls found in this thread:

wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=What is a Wrapper
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_Applications
fglt.nl/guides/playing-zun-touhou-games-on-gnu-linux-with-wine.html
youtube.com/watch?v=myaNkv1MQJE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not directly. It won't let you download them to begin with.

>they said you couldn't play games on linux

i find it easier to run old windows games using linux(via wine) than getting them to run on windows 10

GNU/Linux user actually have professional lifes so they don't have time to play with digital toys.

once steam in-home stream works with linux it wont matter, just have a windows gaming pig in the basement and keep the minty fresh gnu utils where they can be admired by visitors

gotta unWINEd somehow.

i mean i put around on my bike but my boss games and he makes more than me

umm yes u can

Huh? I do it though. You have to have a wrapper with a program files folder so Steam has a place to download to. werks for me.

man... does this mean wine emulates the registry? that feels so dirty

run wine regedit

Download PlayOnLinux then install the windows version of steam on it and you'll be able to download windows games and use your steam library

Steam has a linux version and has plenty of games.

I'm actually macfag and don't know the equivalent WINE solution for linux. But yes my setup does what you said.
>wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=What is a Wrapper

>lincucks

see Rejoice in lincuck tears

Gonna piggyback this thread because I just finished setting up my ubuntu linux raid.
What are some essential software for ubuntu/linux?

- Steam
I'll be downloading Steam just to test it out but I'll be doing my gaming on my main Windows computer.

- Torrent client
I know Transmission is bundled in with the OS but is Deluge better enough to install it separately?

- Media player
I've been using MPC on my windows. I'm not sure if VLC is the best for ubuntu but I've been avoiding it for a long time on Windows. I'm thinking of using either Plex or Kodi as both a media player and a streaming service. Leaning towards kodi as I'm more familiar with it and it's completely free.

Anything else I need?

Yes you can, depending on the game. Some games work perfectly some don't work at all. You'd be surprised by how many of your games already work on Linux Steam though.

depends on the game, your graphics card and installed drivers. I had no problems playing Skyrim on an nvidia card with OSS drivers, but your mileage may vary.

The difference is the WINE registry is actually a nice text file you can edit where it's some blob abomination on windaids.

I will then install the subsystem for linux on my Windows 10, install WINE there, and then play.

Hooooly shit this thread is filled with so much retarded misinformation.
Yes you can run Windows Steam in WINE and download and play Windows games, but not all of them will work.
Bullshit, you can directly download and play games.
WINE is not an emulator, but yeah it supports the Windows registry. How would it even work otherwise?
Play on Linux is old shit, use Lutris
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_Applications

I'm gonna need a sauce on this.

is this the linux videogame thread

Gao, is that you?

What is GAO

Nevermind then.

>American McGee's Alice
Patrician taste

How did you get EOSD running there? Wine? PlayOnLinux?

It's not necessarily going to work, but theoretically yes. I've done it a few times but have had minor issues here and there, if the games work at all. The main issue is the lack of DirectX.

I've been trying to play Cuphead on WINE but I it won't let me use a controller
It works on my Windows partition with the controllers so Idk what the problem is. Maybe it's an Xinput thing or something I dunno. I found one workaround to just bind the keyboard keys to the controller through Steam but then that would only work with 1 player and I would like to play with friends.
If someone could pls help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I've done it using Playonlinux pretty easily. One or two games now and then might need a special setup, but the vast majority work out of the box, or wouldn't work at all.

>tfw you can play wow comfortably in linux through wine

This was the moment I ditched Windows forever.

It's an xinput thing. Just save yourself the trouble and use the windows partition to play windows games.

people always say this but I have had horrible experience getting anything DX9 to work in Linux. At least with Windows you can probably find forum posts or unofficial patches to get stuff to work on modern Windows, good luck getting Wine support for some XP game.

That snowmobile game from Ross's Game Dungeon was, apparently, shown to work well in WINE. That game probably had an OpenGL mode, though.

Yeah I'll do that for this game if all else fails. It probably is Xinput since non-Xinput controllers were only partially working in my Windows partition as well.

Dinput actually works well on Windows. It's only just an issue of the games supporting it. I made the mistake of buying some cheap chinese noname gamepad to play ports of Japanese games. DInput will work well on emulators and old pre-xinput games.

Wine

>ave had horrible experience getting anything DX9 to work in Linux.

Linux has native D3D9 support with Gallium 9.

Or, just use sc-controller.

fglt.nl/guides/playing-zun-touhou-games-on-gnu-linux-with-wine.html

Yeah I meant they didn't work for this particular game (Cuphead, which was Microsoft-funded so that's most likely the case). I have a controller that can switch between Dinput and Xinput (8bitdo SNES30) so it's all good.

Gallium 9 is like fucking magic. A Hat In Time almost matches the Windows performance.

can you play cuphead with integrated graphics?

youtube.com/watch?v=myaNkv1MQJE

yes if you have a good cpu