Why did linux go to complete shit after 2007 Sup Forums?

Logan Harris
Logan Harris

why did linux go to complete shit after 2007 Sup Forums?

Josiah Roberts
Josiah Roberts

Gnome was almost dead when ubuntu came out with a orange - brown theme lots of people liked.
Lots of people started using it, and to make matters worse, ubuntu then released a complete shit tier kde version called kubuntu that made everyone hate kde.
tl;dr it's ubuntu's fault.

Easton Martin
Easton Martin

are you fucking autistic?

Linux has only improved

Evan Edwards
Evan Edwards

This
Greatly
OP is retarded

Liam Robinson
Liam Robinson

systemd
Enjoy your botnet.

Grayson Russell
Grayson Russell

not using Gentoo
Install Gentoo

Jace Cox
Jace Cox

systemd
Install gentoo brainlet or use void cunt faggot fuck

Mason King
Mason King

Linux just became slowly an usable OS after 2010. Before it was just a complete mess.

Jonathan Phillips
Jonathan Phillips

all three of you are autists
source based distros like gentoo suck dick and i use PCLinuxOS so I don't have systemd

Cameron Morales
Cameron Morales

It got better, except for GNOME

It's developed by holier than thou autists who think they know what normal people like.

Gabriel Hall
Gabriel Hall

The question is why do /g/oofballs always post pics of DEs like it has anything to do with the state of Linux?

Just like the majority of the "distro" arguments are really just people that don't know they are arguing about DEs.

Evan Watson
Evan Watson

i use PCLinuxOS

Nicholas Richardson
Nicholas Richardson

You didn't use Ubuntu back in 2007 did you

Carter Young
Carter Young

name in the taskbar incase you forget it
nah

Colton Foster
Colton Foster

explain

Josiah Flores
Josiah Flores

Hell, Ubuntu 12.04 was barely usable when it was first released.

Tyler Stewart
Tyler Stewart

Yea, I've been using Linux exclusively since 2002. It's only gotten better since.

Owen Sullivan
Owen Sullivan

lol gimp is such a turd why bother

Lincoln Flores
Lincoln Flores

I agree. There exist normie distros now that just work but Linux is complete shit for anything else then normie Facebook machine or running your media/file server on.

Daniel Murphy
Daniel Murphy

It's free?

Tyler Young
Tyler Young

your iq is as big as the last 2 numbers of your id

Andrew Reed
Andrew Reed

Linux looked like THAT!?

Landon Thomas
Landon Thomas

i used xubuntu 9.10 on the ps3

Liam Martinez
Liam Martinez

Dude, it's gotten better since 2007 minus the whole systemd thing, which you can avoid by installing sysvinit on Debian (or just installing Deuvan), Gentoo, Void, etc, so that's a non-issue. The support for hardware has increased exponentially since 2007.

David Harris
David Harris

A huge blob kernel in C is fine.
A smaller blob of C in the init is not.
Neckbeard logic.

Tyler Roberts
Tyler Roberts

24 replies in
ctrl+f "sjw"
Phrase not found

I'm genuinely surprised.

Sebastian Morales
Sebastian Morales

implying that loonyx is nothing more than a DE

Aaron Diaz
Aaron Diaz

I was using it full time back in 2003. Seemed pretty usable to me back then. Still does.

No I'm not a computer scientist.

Brody Morris
Brody Morris

Ah yes, 8.04 Hardy Heron. I had one of those LiveCDs canonical used to send.
It was fucking shit.
Linux in general was fucking shit in 2008. It got MUCH better in last years.

Michael Davis
Michael Davis

except systemd is fucking trash even ignoring the whole botnet thing

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

free software stopped being fun and an increasingly larger portion of what needs doing is mindless maintenance rather than playground sandbox tinkering

Evan Martinez
Evan Martinez

gpl has become the “work for redhat for free” license

gpl loses in court (vmware lmao) and really only can succeed with big sums (read: redhat cash) behind it in suits against the little guy

GNU+monopoly

Liam Bell
Liam Bell

kde4 was shit when released, not ubuntu
gnome2 was always disgusting, just a little better than kde4

Cameron Gutierrez
Cameron Gutierrez

OSS was always better
dlang > ada > c++

Parker White
Parker White

exactly

Lucas Gomez
Lucas Gomez

It's clearly obvious that you don't know what even Linux is, but I'll go for a bait. Can you tell me what you think went/is wrong with (((Linux))).

James Ortiz
James Ortiz

spasmatic autismo can't into DE
installs and configures hot fucking mess
because retarded beyond description
creates shitpoast thread to blog about being a FAIL
blames the operating system

Thanks, Obama!

Daniel Long
Daniel Long

Users complain there isn't any games.
Developers respond by making a new login screen.

Noah Stewart
Noah Stewart

Unity happened. Ubuntu had stayed with gnome classic or mate.

Josiah Baker
Josiah Baker

not using systemd
install systemd

Josiah Fisher
Josiah Fisher

Gooby pls, 10.04 was great

Nolan Roberts
Nolan Roberts

/pol/

Adam Thompson
Adam Thompson

why did this die a death?
clearly it has better aesthetic design than what we have on linux today

Jonathan Watson
Jonathan Watson

I used Ubuntu 7.04 but it just werked on my laptop, and thus was boring

Aaron Garcia
Aaron Garcia

this, sadly

Gavin Bell
Gavin Bell

ignore these posts

Elijah Evans
Elijah Evans

It was always shit but after 2007 it also became ugly.

Gavin Williams
Gavin Williams

KDe has been shit since 1.0 and continues to be shit today

Jaxon Cook
Jaxon Cook

we died in 2007

Jackson Butler
Jackson Butler

???

Kevin Price
Kevin Price

KDE 2 and 3 are good.
12.04 already had the unity trash and was garbage
Ubuntu went shit the the moment they dropped GNOME2 as the default DE.
GNOME went to shit when they made GNOME3 for "muh tablets" even though nobody cared about touch on desktops
GNOME2 went to shit when the mint developers raped the code base and inserted their own deviantart-tier garbage in it
KDE became absolute garbage when they released 4.0

Adam Green
Adam Green

why did the internet go to complete shit after 2007 Sup Forums?

Bentley Ortiz
Bentley Ortiz

MATE is comfy 2bh

Parker Jackson
Parker Jackson

Because it became wide-scale industrialized, which means having absolute unusable garbage available now is more important than getting good shit that works 3 minutes from now. Moreover politics and business interests are such that actors like redhat and M$ want full control of linux. Solutions like systemd and pulseaudio make that happen, so they're what gets all the funding.

Ayden Cooper
Ayden Cooper

It's the best thing available but it shouldn't be. It's in no way perfect either.

Benjamin Mitchell
Benjamin Mitchell

This is literally SuSE + KDE.

Thomas Nguyen
Thomas Nguyen

it's unstable poop

literally the ONLY DE, the ONLY one after fucking 21 years of Linux DEs being around that 100% works no bullshit no buts no excuses no nothing is Xfce. Let that sink in.

Ryan Moore
Ryan Moore

Java Desktop System Configurator
YaST2
Desktop seems to be gnome 2
wtf am I watching

Brody Long
Brody Long

xfce
work
ever
lmao
I guess if you count constant graphical glitches and frequent full-system lockups.

Aaron Garcia
Aaron Garcia

MUH SCREEN TEARINGS

/v/

Carter Gutierrez
Carter Gutierrez

used it for years
never had those problems
The only downside of xfce is that none of the settings get applied if you don't have thunar installed, and there are solutions to that.

Carson Evans
Carson Evans

botnet
A botnet is a number of Internet-connected devices used by a botnet owner to perform various tasks. Botnets can be used to perform Distributed Denial Of Service Attack, steal data, send spam, allow the attacker access to the device and its connection. The owner can control the botnet using command and control (C&C) software. The word botnet is a combination of the words robot and network. The term is usually used with a negative or malicious connotation.
Point to me exactly where in systemD's source is your OS is hijacked through an internet connection to match the aforementioned definition of botnet.

Jackson Davis
Jackson Davis

you stupid motherfucker nigger

Carson Wilson
Carson Wilson

I've managed to fix it by enabling Tear free mode for intel, and enabling full composition pipeline for nvidia. Not sure about AMD as I never dealt with it on linux to date.

Can't notice any screen tearing on my systems after that change.
I keep seeing compton being recommended but I can't for the life of me get it to stop screen tearing fully no matter what settings I try. It fixes windowed mode screen tearing but never seems to fix fullscreen tearing especially on videos.

Alexander Cooper
Alexander Cooper

mfw Op falls for the pajeet memes

Jayden Torres
Jayden Torres

It's a shame that this is the truth, unfortunately I can't stand using it anymore because it hasn't changed a bit from when I started using it in 2006. It looks like ass.

Charles Ramirez
Charles Ramirez

use themes and customize it you retard.

Isaac Reyes
Isaac Reyes

Obvious samefag is obvious

Ayden Baker
Ayden Baker

You can say systemd does too much. But it's not a fucking botnet. It's under the LGPL for fucks sake.

Isaiah Cox
Isaiah Cox

It's always amazing to me that people like you actually get paid for such retarded posts.

Christian Cox
Christian Cox

I challenge you guys to post first hand stories in which systemd fucked your shit up. None of those meme and anti-systemd shit.

I do sysadmin work and my life has never been better. journalctl is quite handy when filtering/reformatting the logs and I'm more productive with it than I ever was with perl and I've been using perl since I was a teenager. I use systemd-nspawn here and there to contain shit I test before putting to production. The fact that I can have user-specific services is great (I run mpd like this) and the recent introduction of systemd-run has also been a happy experience to me. Not having to deal with NetworkManager/wicd/netcfg bullshit thanks to systemd-networkd is also great.

The only thing that didn't work well for me was systemd-resolved. It does work well at home but at work I found it more convenient to use dnsmasq/pdnsd, but I think that's because of how the network dudes set things up.

Luis Howard
Luis Howard

It's developed by holier than thou autists who think they know what normal people like.
linux users
normal

yeah listening to autists all day will tire anyone

Jayden Cox
Jayden Cox

I will never not be sad that Ubuntu moved away from their beautiful, bright Clearlooks theme. OP's pic honestly makes me want to cry.

Christian Parker
Christian Parker

If only aesthetics was the only thing ubuntu moved away from.

Parker Clark
Parker Clark

gnome 2 isn't dead, see MATE

Noah Hughes
Noah Hughes

you know XFCE started off as a CDE clone made with xforms, right? (hence it's name), then it moved onto being a lesser gnome
at this point the resource difference between xfce and mate (gnome2) on anything resembling modern hardware makes xfce pretty pointless

Michael White
Michael White

KDE shat the bed with KDE4.
GNOME started moving in bad directions too but the saw the influx of users after the KDE4 disaster as some sign that they were heading the right direction with GNOME3 (they weren't, KDE4 was just that bad)

Since the end of KDE3, no one takes KDE seriously anymore and GNOME developers are too far up their own asses to listen to user feedback (see: Mozilla and firefox, Pidgin developers vs Funpidgin/Carrier, etc)

Easton Bennett
Easton Bennett

it just werkz

Ian Robinson
Ian Robinson

badly.

launchd just werkz.
upstart also just werked.

Wyatt Cruz
Wyatt Cruz

GNU/Linux communities started being shit when canonical forced Ubuntu with their lamer user base.

Joseph Richardson
Joseph Richardson

Because Gnome-2 has a MacOS x like design. Gnome-3 is original environment.

Lucas James
Lucas James

1. It has known bugs (of which the buck keeps being passed, for over 5 years) which cause network filesystems entered into fstab (not just nfs - iscsi, afs, smb/cifs, etc) can hang boot for 5-10 minutes.
This is has hit me many times.

2. If an fstab entry can't be brought online, the system will halt during boot - even if the system doesn't require it and several times even with noauto set (although they were fixed bugs, the regression has happened many times)

3. Minor annoyance - systemd services aren't as tidy and easy to create as upstart services.

Asher Nguyen
Asher Nguyen

Also, I should point out that whilst I don't think systemd is better than upstart and is worse in many areas - I don't hate it and use it right now.

Distro maintainers voted, systemd was chosen.
I'm not gonna go on some undemocratic 'NOT MY INIT' crusade.

Jaxson Cook
Jaxson Cook

gnome was more of a kde clone to begin with, pretty sure it was originally made just because kde used qt, and qt was proprietary back then

Isaac Butler
Isaac Butler

oh yea, it should be noted that gnome predates mac os x as well

Camden Howard
Camden Howard

KDE is a Windows-like environment.

Kevin Lewis
Kevin Lewis

linux was complete shit since 1991.
original minix was better, yet there are better unix-like systems like plan 9

Nathaniel Scott
Nathaniel Scott

my esoteric os is better
but it doesn't really run anything or work properly on modern hardware
If you're going to go that far, you might as well admit that unix-like is terrible and it was a mistake to move way from lisp machines.

Michael Peterson
Michael Peterson

minix runs on every single intel cpu :^)

Nolan Torres
Nolan Torres

about as much as several other systems, i guess
you could say the bottom bar resembles windows 7's taskbar, but the problem is that windows 7 came out 10 years later
but there were other os's prior with large icons on the bottom, such as amigaos and riscos. amigaos also had a bar on the top

Easton James
Easton James

How the fuck do people actually like journalctl? It is really annoying and often not very helpful. I'll just stick to my scripts.

Landon Rodriguez
Landon Rodriguez

I did mean plan9.

Lincoln Nguyen
Lincoln Nguyen

I use MATE. GNOME 3 and KDE 3 are hot garbage.

Joshua Murphy
Joshua Murphy

* KDE 4

David Rodriguez
David Rodriguez

Maybe, but MacOS looks to be more comfortable.

Angel Collins
Angel Collins

i'm talking about gnome, not the abomination that is gnome3

Alexander Brooks
Alexander Brooks

Windows XP Theme

Hunter Campbell
Hunter Campbell

Any idea of what icon theme is that?

Josiah Russell
Josiah Russell

Not really, actually it turns out xfce uses a non-trivial amount of resources MORE than mate while providing half as many features. However the raw difference (i.e. without considering xfce's lack of features) is meaningless on modern hardware as you have mentioned.

Jackson Cook
Jackson Cook

I know.

Grayson Hernandez
Grayson Hernandez

I miss KDE 1.x

t.oldfag

Isaiah Rogers
Isaiah Rogers

why did linux...
posts image of gnome

Joshua Cooper
Joshua Cooper

no way.

ubuntu 7.04 was THE BEST release of all time

Jordan Johnson
Jordan Johnson

why such tumblerino drama?

Sebastian Jenkins
Sebastian Jenkins

You are mentally ill. Do you honestly believe everyone that disagrees with you on the internet is paid to do so? Please hang yourself and save the planet your unnecessary CO2 emissions.

Blake Wright
Blake Wright

Smartphones

Carter Gonzalez
Carter Gonzalez

You guys know that the best window manager (twm) has been around since 1987, right?

Jason Gray
Jason Gray

systemd

Daniel Morales
Daniel Morales

the fuck am I doing wrong here?

Benjamin Cooper
Benjamin Cooper

I did and I was 13.

Jeremiah Smith
Jeremiah Smith

try changing mirrors
also post in one of the firefox threads o the linux thread and let this shit die

Ian Rodriguez
Ian Rodriguez

WM != DE
also why should I run that shit if my pc is not a potato?

Leo Watson
Leo Watson

I-Is that nedit?

Alexander Lee
Alexander Lee

Linux is always complete shit because if any part is in danger of becoming slightly not shit they will throw it out and rewrite it.

Jace Wilson
Jace Wilson

only DE with a feature set to rival other operating systems
only DE having a good looking theme by default (looking at you Adwaita)
using a toolkit that encourages crossplatform software making porting easy
shit
It's like you want Linux to have low adaption.

Ian Brown
Ian Brown

Fuck me i forgot how small 800x600 is

Brandon Wood
Brandon Wood

I blame gnome 3

Levi Reyes
Levi Reyes

WM != DE retard.

Isaac Murphy
Isaac Murphy

Caring about muh adoption is what brought us into this mess of buggy-to-the-point-of-unusable spyware-ridden systemd-only trash.

Bentley Kelly
Bentley Kelly

MATE was ported to GTK3+
MATE is dead

Hudson Ross
Hudson Ross

how do I make all my borders in twm like that (in both active and inactive windows)?

Evan Fisher
Evan Fisher

"hurr durr brown bread is not the same as white bread so u canut compair them durr hurr"

Oliver Cruz
Oliver Cruz

A desktop environment is a concept, a window manager is a specific application.
The desktop paradigm used to refer to a specific use case where you view the computer as a desk and you put stuff on top of that to do your work.
These days, it mostly means you put a clock in the corner of the screen and use a background picture when no application is running.
Hating a desktop environment is fucking retarded.

Alexander Cox
Alexander Cox

Thanks for proving you don't even begin to have a clue about what you're talking about. We can now collectively ignore you for the rest of time.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page