Software Defined Radio

I've been getting familiar with everything radio the last few months and I'm planning on getting my Amateur Radio license soon.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about setting up a couple of Antennas on my roof and have it all connected to a single HackRF.

I already have a coax cable running through my wall to the terrace which was meant for TV (70 Ohm) which I intend to replace with RG-6.

I need some advice regarding the Antenna switch. I've seen electronic ones that has buttons, and mechanical coax switches with a knob that switches to the appropriate circuit physically. I'm not sure about the insertion loss of either one but both can be controlled with an Arduino.

Pic related is my intended setup. The LNA between the HackRF and the Switch can be powered by Bias-T but I'm not sure if I need another LNA just after the Bandpass filters close to the Antenna.

Pic related is my planned setup. Any advice or suggestions?

Updated.

You plan to use different antenna and BPF frequencies don't you? if so, does your LNA provide wide enough bandwidth for all your antennas?
I think you should get LNA for each frequency.

My LNA supports from 2 MHz to 2000 MHz which covers all the ranges I'm interested with the Yagi and Dipoles.

I might put an Antennuator before port #5 if the signal from the LNB is too strong. I don't plan to get a dish and rotor very soon so it's just Antenna 1,2,3,4, all of which operate in the LNA's range.

Now I know how it feels when a noob asks me a question.

The LNA4ALL supports a wide range whereas the other ones are specific to smaller bands.

>I'm not sure if I need another LNA just after the Bandpass filters
You need one at the antenna if the coax is more than a couple of meters long.

Radio is dead, grandpa.

This is a technology board. Go to faggot.

All your IPhone and Wifi still use radio you stupid.
and this is SDR, one of the tool for smart radio so you all will get 5G tech sooner.
It certainly not dead.

The HackRF has TX capabilities. You better know what you're doing. It's illegal to transmit without a license.

I doubt anyone listens to the radio on the iPhone. All the songs are already there in higher quality on iTunes.

OP's set up does not look like a 5G tower.

What the fuck does WiFi have to do with Radio streaming? Just because that's one of its uses doesn't make a radio.

Fuck,
just realize I just took the bait.

Youre doing me good Sup Forums

Sorry about the stupid question but can you pick up signals from keyfobs with this from far away?

What's the point of this?

how much better is a HackRF One compared to a RTL-SDR/RTL2832? $300 is pretty fucking pricey for a noob to the hobby.

i'm also reading this book in preparation for the Tech license exam next month. still don't know where all this will take me but it's fun so far.

forgot to attach book pic

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I've found that the RTLSDR is better at some bands than the HackRF, while the HackRF being better at other bands.

RTLSDR also has a 2 MHz bandwidth whereas HackRF can do 20 MHz at a time.

HackRF also has TX capabilities. You also power your LNA directly from the HackRF which you can't do on an RTLSDR.

There are chinese clones of the HackRF for about 100 bucks.

Can you post model numbers of all the equipment you're connecting together?

you must be very dumb

I know my way around a computer and I can code.

fuck off. he wants his own skykang observatorium

Meant that for:

What can you hack with this? What if cops show up at your house? How will you explain all the antennas?

every numale who makes soyface selfies can """"code"""" nowadays

hackrf is breddy good. used two to build primitive "radio modems" and transmit some shit over the air. it was slow but it worked. pretty interesting project and you can learn a lot.
though the hackrf isn't full duplex so you either send or receive. not both at the same time.

HackRF for TX and RTLSDR for RX works quite well.

Radio is fun.

Fun to see those yellow lines in your receiver?

Nice setup. What does all this cost?

What's a good software for drawing diagrams like this? Anyone that can make it look good and professional as well or do people do that in Photoshop?

does anyone know how to solve problems in Arduino?

HackRF - $300
BPF - $100 (5 units)
LNA - $50
Arduino - $10
Antennas (excluding dish and rotor) - $0 (all are home made)
MiniVNA (Chinkshit clone that goes up to 3 GHz) - $500

I haven't bought the switch yet but it should be around $200 for a 5-port switch.

>BPF - $100 (5 units)
$20 for a band pass filter seems high

Opinions about AirSPY?

They come with a CNC machined aluminum case. I don't know if that's overkill for a filter but it's nice to have everything shielded.

Haven't used one but I think it has a 12-bit ADC as opposed to the 8-bit ADC used by the HackRF. I've heard the Airspy has better receive sensitivity.

You need double the switches and paths because amplifiers don't work bidirectional.

Yes, to connect to a cell tower where the bits are remodulated into a fiber optic line and sent physically to the desired network,