/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

splinter.readthedocs.io
strawpoll.me/14467509
github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/486
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do people do code review in professional environment?

Back from old thread

Fuck.
I have been trying to get more into programming but I lack the focus. I know some Haskell, Python, and I want to learn more C. I love programming so much just I hate the learning part... I have a nice little book but I cant help straying from learning to go on Sup Forums or misc distractions

Please help Sup Forums

good op

>tfw Sup Forums read the chineese cartoon edition of K&R

Reminder that if you use data and functions and those functions operate on that data then you're doing OOP!

>I love programming so much just I hate the learning part
that's literally half the fun of programming. Find a new hobby lad.

which languages are best for ___ tech sectors?

Java?
C#?
C++?
JS?

Trying to decide what to learn if I plan to NOT work in silicon valley and work in Southern US tech industry.

I only use functions with linear types.

You push your code to your working branch of the Git/TFS repository, then you tell the reviewer that you pushed it, then they reviews it. And then at some point it gets merged into the staging branch then eventually into production.

C++

Sorry, let me elaborate

I hate just having to sit down and focus for long times, and it irritates me most when im reading and learning. I like the learning part itself but i cant go longer than 1 hour...

And does anyone know a good book for learning C? I heard Zed A Shaw has some good ones, and the C programming manual is a bit old.... I dont mind using whitepapers either

Ok, let's compile a list of programming related books that are good to read while taking a dump (i.e. they don't require pen/paper or pc to do exercises but are still good for you). I'll start

- Pragmatic programmer
- Code complete
- Mythical man month

what else

>I hate just having to sit down and focus for long times
find a genre of repetitive and upbeat music, stop alt-tabbing every 2 minutes to Sup Forums.

Oh, so kinda like prs in opensource world?

>I heard Zed A Shaw has some good ones
I thought everybody hated Zed Shaw.

this also, use fullscreen modes, different desktops, etc.

C99 (ISO/IEC 9899:TC3)

Pretty much, just with more interaction.

Alrighty, thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Now, what about a good book/pdf to learn C?

Type-level functions? Interesting... so your program effectively runs at compile time?

virgin programmer - K&R
chad coder - ISO/IEC 9899:1999

what

Friendly reminder that C has generics.

Post github portfolio red flags
>he has a configs repo full of riced configs
>it's the most frequently commited repo on his profile
>his commit punchcard shows all his commits happen between 2-4am
>he has multiple commits a day, all of them tiny trivial changes
>he has an anime girl profile pic
>he contributes to projects full of other users with anime profile pics
>all of his projects revolve around viewing video or sorting anime pics or ricing their desktop

for which industries?

I hear python is good for data analytics

>>he has an anime girl profile pic
>>he contributes to projects full of other users with anime profile pics
insta hired

>open indeed.com
>lurk in your area
>decide

aliasing != generics

>The majority of the repos are forks and not personal projects
>Every repo is an unfinished “Playing with ” sandbox
>Only JS repos

>he has a lot more stars than me
>don't hire because jealous

Threadly reminder that 98% of you don't actually program. (No, fizzbuzz doesn't count)

Do Javascript if you want to spend all your time worrying about the idiosyncrasies of browsers and constantly be dictated to about tiny little UI interactions and being told to "move the button here, then there, no back there, actually get rid of it, hey where the fuck did that button go? Did you fuck up my UI?"

Do Java or C# if you want to constantly be fucking around with SQL tables and being told by your front-end team that the data's wrong even though you "fixed" it a thousand times.

Do C++ if you want to constantly be overlooked because you don't have 10 years in the industry and aren't an electrical engineer.

>Do C++ if you want to constantly be overlooked because you don't have 10 years in the industry and aren't an electrical engineer.
sounds like C++ home free after 10 years kek

sorting algorithms count, r-right ?

If you got your first job in 2007, yeah.

std::split
std::split(container1.begin(), container1.end(), container2.begin(), []() ->bool {/*lambda;*/};

I'd say that's the threshold for being an actual programmer, if you can do them correctly and understand Big O. Still ground level, but you can make it.

How do you sort them? Alphabetically, by number of parameters, or by big-O efficiency.

So I figure most stick to java or python, maybe JS for entry level work, then move to C++ later on if they've been studying it during their off-time?

"hello world".split.writeln;

It's split.array.writeln

upvoted

I learned the hard way that big-O matter by running the same algo on a VM on my PC, vs on a dual core surface pro...

laptop took way longer to sort with insertion sort....

but with merge sort both were nearly same speed.

that's perfectly valid given the two missing imports and a main function.

That is not exactly UB user.
It's true that he did not put \0 in the end and causing the puts() printing everything after the end of msg2.
But both msg2 and msg1 are stored on stack, and the behavior on stack is really predictable.

the specification of C didn't include how stack was done, and it's going to be really compiler depended,
but lots of compiler settle on the same way, so it's more like meta-behavior rather than UB.

I love this language so much! It's such a breath of fresh air!

It seems like entry level positions are often Java/C#/Python/JS

Which of these is also useful for everyday automation/hobbies?

Figure I'd kill two birds with one stone.

For example, if I want to make a program that automatically surfs/searches youtube, maybe even clicks elements inside a browser for me, and downloads a video, or analyze data, automate production of statistical graphics...

Which language is best for such projects?

why?

JS

All of them do, neither does it better than the other.

Even though, for what you want to do, I have Splinter in mind, and it's a Python framework.

splinter.readthedocs.io

Brad, Kees and Linus are performing an autistic shit smearing ritual and here I am, rocking my modern C++17.

Ok now try writing generics.

thanks famm

some JS frameworks a pretty cool

im torn I like the details of C, but JS/Python has such useful frameworks, you can do much more in fewer lines of code.

>I like the details of C
Wait until you start hating details (aka using Rust)

>using Rust
>ever

jej

So, which one is it, /dpt/?
strawpoll.me/14467509

This is hardly generics, it's just overloading.

I'd use it over C

>This is hardly generics
It seems to me like you can generate arbitrary expressions based on type, overload being just one use case.

Can I just use Expo to develop an android/iOS app fully or do I need to go through the effort of installing MacOS on VMWare to get access to Xcode?

Can you add more specializations without modifying the original lookup table?

>Expo
?

You should just learn by building something you want to build.

Sitting there and reading a book about programming sounds terrible lol.

I'm afraid you legit need a mac to develop an ios app fully

>Can you add more specializations without modifying the original lookup table?
I'm not sure. Maybe with some naming convention trickery, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

If you can't, it's rather useless. The point of ad hoc polymorphism with generics is to be able to plug in anything with special behaviour for the type, not choose from a limited set of types with predefined special behaviour.

>If you can't, it's rather useless.
Perhaps for a really unimaginative mind.

If the set of types is restricted and defined ahead of time you gain nothing but a tiny bit of convenience over having multiple functions or whatever with different names.

Go(tm) fuck yourself

It's react native, but instead of using Xcode/Android emulation devices or adb devices, you use a client on your phone to visit the app compiled in JS, but you still develop it natively and can compile it

For which point? Compiling or publishing or something? I'd be fine using VMWare for that, but I'm just not keen using that for dev environment as it's using a shitty old adb android device I've got and Xcode emulator, so it's slow

How do you make IRC friends, lads? It seems that regulars really hate new people.

>tfw can't make friends irl or online

Go get a /tg/ hobby.

i don't really have meaningful interactions with anyone and i'm not sure how to

You don't intrude on a tight knit circle of friends when you're not wanted.
Social cues apply online too.

Roleplay as a girl (female)

Thanks for the idea, but I'm not interested in RP stuff. I'm mainly talking about irc groups centered around tech.

Same, duder

That makes sense, I didn't really think about it that way. So what can I do, then? How do I get "involved" in a community?

I can be your friend

I'm too autistic for that

>w

>I'm mainly talking about irc groups centered around tech.
literally just join one. Most will probably accept you assuming you don't treat it like Sup Forums. Which also is another problem in itself of having to censor yourself and be tied to an identity.

But .

github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/486

Too autistic or not autistic enough?

Let's be friends

I tried, but nobody really wants to talk to me
>say hi
>complete silence for half an hour
>then a regular says hi
>ten responses immediately

every fucking time

Why don't they just disable the issue tracker?
It's one checkmark away, they could avoid the 100 PRs a day from literal retards.

I'm not sure what you're expecting.
They know that guy.
They don't know you. Who the fuck are you?

How does this "socializing" stuff work?

Compare two things
>"Hi"
or
>"Hey guys, so I was playing around with this feature in $lang, not sure if I understand it properly. Example1, Example2. Can anyone have a look please?"
it's easy to break the ice with tech people

If you have to ask how to socialize at your age, it's too late for you.

It's like riding a bike, you learn when you're a kid
and if you're an adult who wants to learn, tough shit, you're way past the socially acceptable age to be using training wheels.

Let's all be friends and code together!

>tfw you missed on teenage love

Am I a brainlet if I can't understand the tree recursive change making algorithm in SICP? I got everything up to that but I just can't get my head around this thing.

There must be something one can do

>t. i don't know either

yeah
I hate programming a bit because I missed a lot of teen shit

you mean like fibonacci program

Go to a third world country, you'll get a lot of teen action legally

javascript was a mistake

Don't go to a third world country, they resent first worlders for being more fortunate, you won't be able to have a real relationship with anyone and anyone there who tells you otherwise is trying to scam you so they won't drop dead of hunger tomorrow

>have a relationship
Check out this beta faggot