/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP 2570p/2170p/8570w, Dell E6430/E6440, IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513365043090.webm
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-15-Durable-Laptop-Ideal-For-Business-Student-i5-4GB-RAM/192389721400?epid=1437588145&hash=item2ccb522d38:g:B5YAAOSww6daAaZm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's a good laptop with 500HDD, atleast 8GB RAM amd at least i5 that I can buy new and is no more than 700?

X61t best girl

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP 2570p/2170p/8570w, Dell E6430/E6440,
This is redundant and not necessary, as
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)
is already included in the pasta

I am using the Thinkpad x220 which I purchased for 50 dollars off of Ebay. Right when I got it I uninstalled Windows 7, then installed Debian and I have to say I really am loving the Thinkpad experience. I want to thank /tpg/ threads for giving me the opportunity to experience this amazing and affordable machine.

Does the Dell E7270 have an Alps or Synpatics touchpad, or does it vary?

Are the X1 carbons worth it from ebay?

I've found several off ebay for 5-600 dollars with WQHD displays.

All I want is a Linux laptop that can run smoothly with a HiDPI screen.

Provided the price is the same, any reason to choose w520 over w530? Purely from performance stand point.

Stop posting the stupid
>READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST.
There isn't a buyer's guide anymore.

No, AFAIK.
W530 is only better or equal on every aspect.

You're welcome user, welcome to the autistic club, feel free to mock anyone paying 1k USD for a laptop that they simply use to work/browse.

I see, anything else to keep in mind? k2000 over k1000?
Is $600 worth it?

What's my best option for a general web/video/office machine with side use of audio production on the go (already have a desktop).

You misspelled x60s for the second time.
Desu, just buy a refurbished t420, unless you need battery life.
Debian on the x220 is nice, but now you need to coreboot it desu.
Not having to keyboard mod it to get the classic keyboard.
$600 dollars is too much for any used t530/t520 desu. Unless there is a 1tb SSD in there.
A desktop.

Sup Forums pls

Rubber feet are expensive for what they are. Fucking chinks.

they are shit

>t530/t520
W520/W530 user-kun.

Sorry desu 600 is still a bit much.

Check out this picture of me at my Thinkpad! Lol (laughing out loud)!

Got a refurbished T420 for about 100 dollaryuus. Did I score?

Give specs

Where on earth am I suppost to find an X200 or X60 for cheap in the Netherlands?

would 350$ be a decent price for 12 ram 240 ssd x220 with a docking station?

Here you go user

Oh yeah not bad at all. Any damage?

the ventilation grill is a bit cracked but nothing else

Can you remove a locked bios on a t530?

Or do you need some sick tools

It’s just that pleb who shills dell trying to get a sneaky one up into /tpg/

How many drive slots does the W520 have?

In the worst case (i.e. absolute absence of thinkpads on the local market) you can always use a mail forwarder.

k

> using a thinkpad with a mouse

Getting my first tp today. So excited!!!!

How easy can you get replacement parts for these things?
I dropped my X220 and the bottom right corner is all bent and broken.

The sides of my second hand thinkpad are pretty badly chipped (see pic), anything I can do to freshen it up?

No, you just need to remove the CMOS battery and jump a the right connector.
About 5 steps

Should I buy this T530 for $50? Is it worth that much in parts? Some idiot mangled the flying fuck out of the USB port, poor thinkpad. Like how the fuck does this even happen?

What the fuck

I thought it was originally something stuck in there, but it's like someone got really angry and took a pair of plyers to the port or something

Black boot polish

Might try that, thanks.

Is it worth it to upgrade to a quad core i7 from a dual core i7?

T440p or T530?

I already have the T530 (bought for 120$ with 2 batteries). It's in good condition but I haven't upgraded anything on it yet.

The T440p I would have to buy, I think I would like the form factor more, but other than that is there any big difference in options or quality? I can install a m.2 ssd on both, and there shouldn't be too big of a difference in performance. Though the 1080p IPS is notably cheaper on the T440p.

T530 doesn't have M.2 but mSATA instead.

Oh, m.sata is fine too, it's not like it was PCI-E m2 anyway, right?

Oh sweet, the seller just replied and said it's unlocked anyways.

I just forgot to ask before, and he didn't mention it anywhere.

It should arrive tommorow, then I can definitely know whether I got chinked or not (the description said no cosmetic damage).

And it is working with OS installed.

Is there anything else I should keep in mind before I get jewed? (paid 120$ for it i5 3320m/4GB ram/500GB HDD).

No clue if its 768p or 900p.

The keyboard, but it can be fairly easily swapped

Why is the T30 so expensive on ebay?

It's so old that it's starting to evolve into a RarePad

Also it seems they have a hardware flaw which makes the memory slots fail over time. I bet some of them have been lost to housefires too.

SOON

I recently managed to acquire an IBM ThinkPad T42.

It's not been upgraded since purchase, sporting a total of 512MB of RAM. Tiny damage to the screen around the center of the taskbar.

I currently have Windows XP SP3 32-bit installed, but it's painfully slow. Half the time the wireless module doesn't seem to work either.

I have yet to managed to find the working drivers for:
PCI Modem
Intel(R) 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller - 24CC

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What should I do with this piece of paperweight?

download.lenovo.com/eol

Depends on how many of the apps that you're using are taking advantage of the extra cores.

People are beginning to understand that their throw away paperweight is actually nerd gold, so they become greedy.

forgot the pic

Not T430, eurocuck. T30.

I'm not sure of the 1GB or more DRAM or the extra cuda cores will be worth it... haven't had two side by side to test.

I dunno but
>second best ThinkPad in performance/design/ruggedness
>dem memory slots failing
>everyone thinks they are cool n collectors nao
>Serial and Parallel ports (diagnostics n CNC machines)

I had three working T30's and they've mysteriously died. Looking for another host for the SXGA+ screen I have.

Oddly, I come across more reliable A30/31 than T30... usually its the other way around.

They run hot but they aren't like the P4M HT G40/41.

Speaking of house fires
I'm thinking of getting an HP NX9600 for a heater.

Just bought a T430, was planning to get an SSD and install Debian on it. Any other upgrades I should consider?

Max out RAM, Ultrabay SSD. Other than that, not really.

>tfw waiting for mine to arrive to install macos

I gotcha. Installed the missing drivers now. I should have looked a bit closer in the descriptions.

Same shit, TinkerPoo nigger.

where's the buyers guide at dudes I have a need

That's not the point.

Why though?

I bought a second hand p50 with a Xeon, m2000m, and 16gb of ram. Did I do well lads? Also, what am I in for? For those of you with a p50, how is it treating you over all this time?

3rd gen and up, steer clear of the older ones

Ok, but why?

These fuckers are so expensive in Europe.
It's ridiculous.

x200 or x220 ?

just don't buy 3M
chinese shit is not that expensive

>trusting cheap Chinkshit to make full contact when flashing a BIOS
I don't want to end up with a brick.
Also the Chinese ones only have a 1mm spacing on the upper pins so you can't just use female jumper wires to connect it.

X200 if you want libreboot, X220 if you want a really nice laptop (that might get it soon)

C2D is useable, but having an i5 is so much nicer

Fucking HP shill

Well i already trust chinkshit from AliExpress with like 70% of my thinkpad (screen, battery, ram sticks, ssds, wlan card, touchpad, keyboard, heatsink) so i got a cheap soic8 from them anyway.

Do you guys like the new sounds and stuff I added to my theme?

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1513365043090.webm

Also, I just ordered three of those "Sup Forums certified" stickers. Good stocking stuffers!

Heck yeah, that's really neat! Annoying, but neat.

The stickers are good quality, you'll like them

Anyone here swith out the processor for a thinkpad T520? Thinking of getting this -> ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-15-Durable-Laptop-Ideal-For-Business-Student-i5-4GB-RAM/192389721400?epid=1437588145&hash=item2ccb522d38:g:B5YAAOSww6daAaZm

Or something like it and upgrading the cpu.

I think its cool but are you able to turn it down?

When does the van get here Sup Forums?

Christmas break about to start, watching Bob Newhart Christmas episodes on the Xtracomfy60 with a blanket and warm bevvy.

do whatever you want, it's only four screws

so comfy I forgot pic

Looking for recommendations

Primarily work from home, occasional trips to different offices with different vendors; mostly driving, flights every 2 months or so. Laptop should be able to power 2x 4K external monitors, laptop docked, lid closed.

Various programming projects, primarily visual studio for C#

Was looking at T/W/440/430

I have it set to do the fake pop-up 10% of the time, every startup. The audio can be turned down while it's starting, but it's whatever audio you had it set to before restarting last.

Even Santa uses a Thinkpad!

Flee your place

I just ordered a refurbished T430 with 8GB of Ram and a 128GB SSD, how did I do?

My thinkpad had an username, workgroup or something, ip address and some sort of a password hidden under the battery when i bought it a couple of months ago.

He probably lurks this board since the username is some weeb shit.

Cool, thanks for your reply

Too late now, I'm being waterboarded as we speak.

Also, does anyone know if the WWAN antennas work with a WLAN card?

well I guess it depends how much you paid

The antennas would work but I'm not sure how well they would work. The length of the antennas and space in between them is important.

Lads my 6 year old MacBook Air is giving up the ghost.

Thinking of replacing it with an X220. How do the screens compare?

Only really gets used for browsing and watching videos. Love the portability of the Air.

Is the X220 the best choice for me? My budget isn't big.

$250 cucknadian bucks, free shipping, no tax.

one 2.5" bay, one mSATA slot, CD drive can be swapped out for a second 2.5" bay

You should go for an X230 instead.

Okay, why's that?

As an aside, what form factor SSD do the Thinkpads take, is it only 2.5"? Is there a slot for the MacBook SSD? So I can save some money of course.