Whats your favorite linux distribution?

For day to day use and why?
I prefer Debian because it's a stable and solid OS. I used to use Archlinux but updating my PC on a daily basis became irritating and not updating for months can cause package breakages.

Solus.
It's easy. Once you install it it's all done and all your software is there.
It's fast, boots up in 10s off a HDD, programs load quickly and there's no stutters or slowdowns.
It's rolling release, bleeding edge, and stable. Once I've installed it on someone's computer I can just leave it there knowing that they won't have any problems. It prompts you when an update is available but it doesn't pester or force you like windows.

It's just a piss easy distro and I like it for that and how easy it is to help my family and friends move away from windows with it. I use it myself on my laptop because of all that but unfortunately I still use Windows on my desktop for my games.

Alpine
Fuck bloat

Linux Mint

fuck off Kevin

Ubuntu (with Xfce) because I know the ins and outs of it after having used Ubuntu since 2006.

Same here OP. Debian is just fantastic

I just get ubuntu + gnome, or ubuntu + xfce if the PC sucks. It's true that Dedian won't break but it's also true that it's incompatible with a lot of newer shit and outdated in general so it's really retarded to use it as something else than a server.

No because I'm not Kevin.
I don't even know who the fuck that is.

Believe it or not but Solus has quickly become one of the more popular distros.

Retarded solus fucker

Hi Kevin.

LFS

Arch, so that I can actually learn shit about OS's, partitioning, etc. and not just use rufus to make a live USB of some ""user friendly""" distro, boot, press install then pretend I'm good at something.

>trust me guys I'm not me

Debian GNU/Linux+SystemD

LIOFIYTIW

This.
It's the easiest distro I've tried so far.
Also tried Fedora, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and Mint, but this was the nicest and is the most normie friendly in my experience.

After using multiple distros for years, I can definitely say that most distros are all the same shit with just a few small differences like package managers. Desktop doesn't matter because you can get any desktop on any distro. muh stability is a meme, just don't be a fucking retard and your system will be fine no matter what distro you use as long as it's not some obscure shit no one heard of.

I use a "user friendly" distro, come at me bro.

Arch is user friendly. Install gentoo faggot

I was going to ask how you achieved only 39MB of RAM, but I'm even more curious as to why you only have 1GB

>decides to try Solus after shills won't shut up about it
>manages to install it easily
>"oh so it's pretty much GNOME 3 with more tweaks right?"
>a little tweaking, nothing more that the stuff you can do on GNOME itself really
>restarts system
>it never boots again
>total Solus uptime: 10 minutes

And I never heard Sup Forums shills ever again.

>please nono im no Kevin im just another user using the best OS ever made.
Yeah right.. fuck off Kevin

Currently on Alpine. Void is the best distro I've used

Well, it WAS Debian until they were forced to implement NSA/systemd.

I now use Devuan Jessie for my NAS and desktop because it's basically Debian like it was before.

On my Laptop I use antiX which I'm starting to like more every day. I might change my desktop OS to antiX one day.

Yep, ponysay is very good on Void

Gentoo is trash, shove your comprehensive and exhaustive install instructions up your ass.

because he seems to be running it on an early 2000s mac

>Things that never happened
You wouldn't lie on an anonymous image board, would you?

how about you stop doing damage control Kevin and actually fix your shit distro

Why so aggressive towards a distro you've never used?

sure thing Kevin, I'm lying, your distro is amazing, you just keep yourself believing that.

CRUX

>partitions disk and installs GRUB
>pretends he's good at something

Why so aggressive towards this one particular Kevin guy?
Do you suffer from autism? Genuinely curious now because of how obsessed you seem to be with him.

Has anyone used Antix or Solyd? Saw some guy raving about them. Both seem to be lightweight/minimal debian-based distros.

FUCK OFF KEVIN

What do you like so much about antiX?

Pasting commands into a terminal isn't learning, fa.m

I see you know your FUD-o well

How is it like. I've been using debian for ages and I always wanted to try out crux

- Awesome USB live support (persistence/remastering)
- All hardware worked
- Nice Wi-Fi configuration tool.
- My favorite windows manager installed (Fluxbox)

it's trash

then Is NixOS worth it?

>I now use Devuan Jessie
Are you too casual to just install another init system? Devuan is a dead distro, they can't keep up with the Debian release cycle, even though Debian updates its releases once in a few years.

elementary os. It just works, and i can work without worrying about trivial shit not working like most other distro.

I can't paste shit, I don't do that vm trash. if all I did was paste I would have fucked up my windows dual boot (which is wonderfully under documented for some reason). Also I chose arch purely because the name and logo wasn't shit like Gentoo and Fedora. why the fuck would you name your distro Fedora or Gentoo and Gentoos logo is horrible aswell.

>windows dual boot
>under documented

Me too.
It's just "a easy distro", I never bothered trying anything else since this already works so well for me.

I used to Arch, but now I'm using Ubuntu Budgie. It's just werks distro.

I first just ran Debian with sysv. When Devuan Jessie was released I jumped ship hoping for Devuan to be my savior.

As you said, Devuan is indeed not keeping up with Debian. I might need to find another distro once more. Most likely another deb based distros.

>2013

>Being so triggered that someone has installed and enjoys using a distro you don't like
Get a life, you're just being petty and making a scene because you're bored and have nothing better to do. You're pathetic.

>windows dual boot (which is wonderfully under documented for some reason)
U W0T M8! XD XD XD XD XD Have you tried, for example, a search engine by any change?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

wew lad

Arch, because I've literally done nothing but update every two days for the last three years. That's a lot less bullshit than I had to deal with on Debian, or even Gentoo. Also, I'm lazy now, and the AUR is there to ensure I can remain as such.

Can you re-read your post, realize you quoted half the thread and feel utterly embarrassed?

Just set a cron job to do updates for you.

Can you check the posts he's replied to and feel utterly embarrassed for taking the time to make such a shitty response?

ZorinOS Lite because it is stable and has a good looking Xfce. I would use ChaletOS instead but I hear people had issues with it in past.

same

ubuntu. it just werks and i don't rely on the admiration of some neets so i can skip the meme distros.

OpenSUSE, Fedora...

Debian is my current favorite as well. I spend way too much time thinking about having one big distro that everyone can use regardless of their computer experience. Debian gets pretty close. It doesn't restrict you from doing what you want with it but it's also easy and well known and has a nice logo to remember. I understand that systemd might be an issue for some people and it might be better if Debian would change the default init system to something else at some point. Then there would be no reason to not use it.

fuck off kevin

Android

manjaro

>It doesn't restrict you from doing what you want with it but it's also easy and well known and has a nice logo to remember.
so, basically ubuntu.

Ubuntu. While Debian can be more stable, I find Ubuntu to have newer packages and to be ultimately more relevant for everyday usage.

>a rational, acceptable argument?
someone tell him to fuck off

Fuck off Kevin

Ubuntu was made to be the user-friendly version of Debian back when Debian wasn't. It is now if you just install the nonfree ISO and install a popular DE. There's no need for Ubuntu anymore, just go straight to the source. Debian is almost the oldest distro there is.

Refracta because Refracta Special Tools

I'm not Kevin. I'm Seth

Maybe if I went with Gentoo I would be able to use their entire fucking wiki page on the subject. Arch doesn't have a cut and paste solution like Gentoo. Fuck off back to your Gentoo vm.

fuck off Seth

My favorite? Android...
And OpenSUSE, because it is so german....

This hurts

>Arch, so that I can actually learn shit about OS's, partitioning, etc.

XDDD

10 years ago I didn't have a favourite as I was distrohopping all the time
8 years ago Linux Mint 7
A year ago I would have said Arch
A month ago I would have said Ubuntu MATE

Today I say Linux Mint 18.3

>I can't paste shit, I don't do that vm trash
You could just use ssh from another PC or from your phone but not even that you could figure out
>Using a distro based on the logo
How can you be this fucking stupid? Do not select a distro based on the logo or name. Also, you could change that to something yourself, well YOU can't because you sound way too dumb.

Ubuntu.
Perfect for working.

#

How has 18.3 improved things?

You mean a Himalayan goat figure sharing board?

hey user, mind sharing your background / how autismo software minimalism has helped you?
i'm constantly in a split between super manual CLI ways of setting up things and using a just werks like ubuntu when I can see that I have a time constraint I'm worried minimalism might hurt. Although I'm doing well in a CS undergrad program rn, my background isn't in linux autism but still see the merit in following it

Debian on my laptop as i3 is strong when you have intentions of leaving your hands on the keyboard.
Kubuntu on my desktop as when I have a mouse, multiple monitor, and a 60% keyboard, I enjoy how smooth and (for the most part i.e 95% of the time) stable everything is unlike gnome in my experience.

any anons with some linux experience caught between this split? DE's on debians work well too, I just really value being able to mount my home partition on a drive and be able to jump back to a "just werks" kubuntu install while throwing in all my config files whenever anything breaks.

Minimal software is easy. I actually think things like ubuntu are harder. There's so much shit going on it's confusing. with alpine you can see exactly what's happening. or if anything goes wrong. apk is much better and easier than apt because it's less complex. openrc is better and easier than systemd. another thing is that freetards can't really make any good bloated-graphical software (i.e. not tui or simple things)

arch for me
i used to use debian, but i like trying out new features, which debian isn't really suitable for, since there's always some dependency that's just a bit out of date
then i went to gentoo, which was nice, but most of the time i was fine with the defaults, and i try new software often, making compiling everything not much fun
it's easy to try new things on arch, since things are always up to date, i've spent less time fixing the rare update issues in arch than i did getting through debian dist-upgrades
the aur makes trying new things easy, since damn near everything is in it, and if something isn't, it's also very easy to make and submit packages to it, which i've done a few times
basically, i use it because i'm lazy, and arch is the simplest distro i've used

Literally every update issue I've ever had with Arch has been solved with -Syudd.

I understand and agree that the abstraction / curtains in Ubuntu / noob distros don't really make sense but from a usability standpoint I can dmenu -> browser -> drive mounting GUI neigh instantly without any issues experienced. Sure I can dd if of to burn my live usbs, umount and mount, but really only get the gratification of reminding myself on how to do the essentials. I never feel like I'm doing anything extra nor missing anything as long as I get to use my minimal laptop a couple times throughout the week.

fuck off Kevin

I want to ___ that penguin

Well, I've used an immense number of distros, Mint has always been just werks, I got tired of trying to maintain Arch, in 2009 Mint was awesome, in 2017 it's still awesome.

Cinnamon feels light and speedy, Ubuntu MATE was also, but it isn't quite as good as Mint.

I prefer Mint to Ubuntu. I couldn't give a list of improvements, just the feeling I get from it that it IS better.

Despite all that sir, it just werks, there comes a time in everyones life when they have to stop eating their toenails and just start living.

Ubuntu was designed for women and minorities I agree.

>trying to maintain Arch
There's literally nothing to maintain.

screenfetch doesn't (or didn't) recognize arm cpu's, and puts powerpc g3 for unknown cpus
the architecture is listed there as armv7l, and the kernel name has "sunxi" in it, so it's pretty clearly a sunxi-based Allwinner SoC it's running on
things like the bannana pi and cubieboard use this march/soc

Until the premium arch autists (PAA) leak all stable and concise install scripts arch will require the maintenance of a lightbulb with tiny black people shoved inside of it.

>just werks
So does windows.