Is now a good time to buy a vive?

Is now a good time to buy a vive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dgfQ5qhFJu0
youtube.com/watch?v=9umf14q2MrA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no
buy rift

I've been wondering the same thing but oculus rift seems like the way to go. You get everything for $400 and buying an extra sensor is just as much as buying an extra sensor for the Vive. Plus I've heard the battery life on the Oculus controllers last a hell of a lot longer.
I was thinking of maybe waiting for the Vive pro but that's probably going to be pricey as fuck.

Vive's the better product. There's not much wiggle room there. But it's pricey, especially with the Pro coming. Wait until after the Pro launches and see if they're dropping the price of the base model to go with it.

Not a bad plan but isn't it going to be like another 6 months before the release?

Probably, but they'll probably announce pricing before then.

True, I'm just too damn impatient.

Yeah same. I could be dead in 6 months, y'know?

Oculus has much more natural controls.
And the biggest complaint I heard is that you need a third sensor for room scale, which is false if you set them up diagonally.

>Always on connection to Facebook or it won't work.

No thanks.

One of the perks of the setup is that it's pretty simple to swap parts around. The Vive Pro is going to be sold standalone so you can drop it into an existing setup. So if you do pull the trigger now and decide you want a new one in six months, at least you're not rebuying every little piece. What kind of GPU do you have at the moment? You might be better served by upgrading your PC now and getting the better headset as a kit later.
Vive's tracking is better though, both in concept and practice. Plus you really do need the three cameras for proper coverage with the Rift and they all need to be connected to your PC. You can make do with two but it's hardly ideal. Plus do you really want to be supporting the people trying to turn VR into a locked down platform?

>buying an extra sensor for the Vive
what the fuck are you talking about

Oculus doesn't charge 100 bucks for a headphone band and isn't run by a company that is on the verge of bankruptcy every other week.

What do you mean by that? I don't even hardly use facebook I don't want to be connected to it every time I play.

Not everybody understands the difference between the vive's tracking solution and the rift's.
Not particularly relevant to the merits of the headset.

I own Oculus set up room scale with 2 cameras and I have yet to see a problem with the tracking.

That's interesting. I've heard literally nothing but complaints from people using the two camera setup.

Thought you needed an extra sensor to get decent tracking on a full room scale on either the rift or the vive

I have a 6gb 1060 that enough?

Should be able to kick the ass of an original Vive, though you won't be able to do much supersampling. There's one or two games that might give you a little grief, namely LA Noire, but overall it should be fine.
It's the Rift people generally buy a third camera for.

Cool, thanks.

I'd wait for more game support.

Occulus is owned by Facebook, there was a lot of controversy around them using it to track all sorts of stats without you being aware. All to """better their product through anonymous user feedback""" obviously, but it's impossible to follow who actually gets access to which of your details

Yeah, it "works" but there's a noticeable difference if you're coming from a Vive. Even with 3 sensor setups it's hard to get the same level of coverage. It really depends on how much space you're trying to cover too.

That being said, it's a terrible time to buy a Vive. Vive Pro and Pimax are coming out so prices should go down.

Does room coverage include your leg movement? I was already getting a rift, so I was hoping I'd possibly see some use from my legs in games

Is it just me or does that look like a plastic cyclops hippo head pointing at itself?

What's the consensus on the other offerings? HP, Lenovo, ...? The specs on paper seem to be pretty good and they support SteamVR.

Good enough, also they Are selling for around 200 on eBay and Amazon.

Compared to a DK2?

Way better they mostly have 1440 per eye. Slightly higher than Vive and rift. They also track and bring controllers. No need to setup cameras to track but have lcds no oled. The Samsung one is oled but more expensive. They are mostly plug and play. But you need to have Bluetooth for the controllers. Cause they don't have dongle.

There's no leg tracking for Rift unless you use a Kinect to emulate the Vive Trackers which has its own separate field of view.

If you're talking about coverage for things like crawling on the floor, this is the biggest issue the Rift has since the horizontal tracking FoV is much lower than the Vive's. Most people that say the Rift tracks just as well aren't playing games where you lean close to the floor.

>horizontal tracking FoV

Brain fart, meant vertical.

Vive has no need for an extra lighthouse. If price and convenience are OPs priorities then just get a WMR.

I can chime in. I recently bought a Rift mostly out of curiosity (and something to get with my bonus).

So far I like:
- controllers are great, very intuitive, they look and feel a lot more natural than the vive dildo wands
- pretty light, cable management isn't that bad
- touch bundle comes with two sensors, tracking is alright, another sensor for $60 and tracking is perfect for room scale

Only negatives I can think of is:
- resolution isn't the best, but then again that's pretty much the only reason I can see for getting the vive

Honestly though. The vive is technically better, but there's not enough content out there that I would enjoy to justify dropping $600 worth on. I could definitely drop enough to preorder the new vive + the wireless kit, but there's no point. There's only a handful of games that are fun, and the rift is plenty good for enjoying them so far.

There honestly isn't that much between the Rift and the non-pro vive, Rift has less visible pixelation and way better controllers, Vive has a higher FOV and large scale room tracking if you have a mansion.

Definitely the best time to buy a rift with the price drop and they stated no new rift in 2018.

If you're willing to spend the bucks for the Vive Pro then obviously it's the best time for that.

>people trying to turn VR into a locked down platform
They're both doing this (e.g Fallout VR only on Vive), just Oculus has better software. Steam VR kinda feels like abandonware at this point.

>resolution isn't the best
Vive (non-pro) actually has worse resolution because it's stretched over a higher FOV.

Haven't tried the Pro yet but hopefully that'll fix it.

I did not know that. Then I'd wager only the Vive pro is really worth it, though, that still doesn't change my stance.

There's a big lacking of content that's _actually_ good. I know it's probably stupid, but the only games I've enjoyed so far have been Superhot & Robo Recall. Most of the games aside from those just feel like shovelware unfortunately.

It's kind of saddening too, as I really wish RR's modding community would be bigger, it's a fantastic game in my opinion.

literally not even true. i don't have a facebook and it gives you an option to sign up for the free shit using an email address.

>It is HTC's or Valve's fault that Bethesda are lazy as fuck
Only one of the two main hitters in VR has been trying to money hat things, while the other's been trying to make its VR platform as open and accessible as possible.
Resolution difference is marginal. The bigger issue is that the Vive uses lenses with slightly more visible rings versus the Rift's softer ones. But that has over benefits for FOV and focus.

>itt: idiots replying and bumping an obvious shill thread
there is no way this question is legitimately asked multiple times every day

youtube.com/watch?v=dgfQ5qhFJu0
when will they ever learn?

Nice try, Mark.

But honestly, if your telling him to buy a rift just to justify your shitty purchase you should just jump.

youtube.com/watch?v=9umf14q2MrA
it's simpler with vive

Consider the recent popularity of vrchat driving legitimate interest in VR.

>so I was hoping I'd possibly see some use from my legs in games
Sadly, you will be a paraplegic in the game as well.

>Consider the recent popularity of vrchat driving legitimate interest in VR.
I did consider it, but this feels more like a heavily veiled viral marketing campaign to me.

Wait till the Pimax and the VivePros have been released..then you will get a great deal on used.

buy a oculust rift they are the same in 2018 and one cost 50% less and got a bit more game.

when someone say the vive better it was at the release when rift was lacking many option and tracking...

now they are realy close

do your research

rift better... poor you you have pay 400$ more for the same shit

Oculus is cheaper, dumb fuck.

Wait 2-3 years and price may be a lot better and games more adapted.

>it’s a vr shills talk among themselves episode

I work in a lab with both of them and the Vive is better software wise, because the rift is owned by Zuckerburg and is fucking creepy, but the Rift controllers are way way nicer and the weight balance on the headset is much nicer.

Unhealthy things usually are.

Windows Mixed Reality headsets offer basically the same shit but you can use it in a smaller space and its a third of the price.

Install Vridge or iVRY on your phone and PC then just play cardboard.

How about visually? is the difference in fov significant?

>buying VR right after "DA WAY XDDDDD" meme slaughtered the VR community out of pure cringe alone

The biggest difference is the lenses. Vive's are a touch sharper, Rift's have a little less god ray problems. In terms of screen I think you technically get a slightly wider FOV on the Vive and a correspondingly higher DPI on the Rift but it's splitting hairs at that point.
Those were all retards playing on mouse and keyboard. That it hasn't seeped into VR-only games kind of says it all.