Congratulations Microsoft

Congratulations Microsoft.
You've put me out of my maths publishing work for a few days.
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/16/microsoft_equation_editor_patched/

Other urls found in this thread:

journals.aps.org/revtex
mathcha.io/
arxiv.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using Office for math publications

You degenerate fucking faggot how fucking dare you use Micro$oft Equation instead of literally anything else you pencil necked geek bitch. Fuck yourself.

windowsfags will never cease to amaze me in their professional idiocy

>MS Word
>Math
You're one special type of retard, aren't you?

this, holy fuck

how shit is that window looking holy fuck

>maths publishing
>not using latex
your paper will be worthless anyway

>Kolsek pointed to costly gear like MRI machines

>tfw your MRI was bit diddled by a bunch of slavs because it was running nonfree software

This. Microtoddlers are fucking childish and deserve anything that happens to them. Never had my LaTeX compiler go "ay de meth fohmula thin dun naw wawk mayne."

> not using LaTeX
Nigga, you high?

>learning an entire new programming language just to write a paper
lolno

use latech you spastic

>Baby has never used latex
This is what nu-Sup Forums has become. Sad.

>being stuck in the 80s
You can go back to sleep now, grandpa.

t. 12 year old
LaTeX is literally the most popular software in academia for writing papers (above pleb undergrad level obviously). It might have been created a long time ago but it's more relevant than ever. Many non-computer people use it.

>trying to act like you're anything more than a projecting undergrad who tries too hard
I've seriously never seen a single LaTeX evangelist on this board who doesn't sound like a fucking idiot who's proud of themselves for knowing how to read basic documentation. Are you an archtoddler, too?

They've never even used it, otherwise they wouldn't be evangelizing it because they'd know it's fucking crap.
They've just heard of it and figured it would be a good way to sound superior online.

LaTeX is steaming hot garbage, you fags. Stop

Thanks for agreeing it's simple. Also Debianfag here.

Of course I have but you believe whatever you want. LyX makes it really simple.

>uses a WYSIWYG editor for fucking LaTeX
>doesn't understand the concept of self-documenting software
Thanks for agreeing with us that you're a projecting moron with a fragile ego.

>projecting this hard
lmao

I'm not the one screeching at Microshit users and "nu-Sup Forums" while playing pretend graduate student. I'm merely making an observation on your behavior in the last few posts of yours that I've read to put you back in your place.

Pretending that Sup Forums doesn't change over time is naive. Every board has become consumerist, including Sup Forums, and this leads to a disdain for creation, and only respect for mindless consumption.

>lyx
>wysiwyg
kill yourself

That's not at all what I said, but nice attempt to try and deflect the criticism elsewhere.
If you have nothing else to say, just stop posting already and stop constantly grasping for a perceived moral high ground in everything you say. Your shitty posts are dumbing this board down just as much as everyone else who wallows in this shit.

You're right, I confused LyX with something else, but it's still handholding all the same.

Learning LaTeX takes about 10% of the effort to learn basic HTML. I'm struggling to tell if you are a troll or not.

If I knew you I'd be interested and determining whether or not you were serious. This really strikes of someone who has not been arsed to put an ounce of effort into a nigh-universally superior technology. This is like a 1st year Bachelors mistake, or else you went to a shite university.

What is wrong with you.

I hate reading papers that aren't typeset with TeX

ive never seen latex used in academia outside shitty student theses. actual published work is always done in word and equations.
its the same as with IDEs. the professional fizzbuzz developers in here will swear by vim whereas actual computer scientists and software engineers use an IDE because they get things done.

>ive never seen latex used in academia outside shitty student theses. actual published work is always done in word and equations.
What field?

physics

Get out of your shithole to a civilised country maybe

>Word is good because it's handholding
>but LyX is bad because it's handholding

If you finish your undergrad you can see it yourself. Publications being done in latex is a student meme.

>math publishing
>microshit
nigga what the fuck are you doing

>latech
are you being stupid on purpose?

nigger studies

Not OP but if I am trying to get shit done and trying to remember my fucking Latex shit is not what I am doing when writing math publications you nerds.

Of course I learned latex but I don't use it nor remember most of it.

my god faggot what the fuck are you smoking
>durr hurr undergrads use latex us retarded grad students use wordpad
journals.aps.org/revtex

all you have to fucking know is the goddamned math formulas and you can use something like LaTeXiT or MathCha to help with those.
mathcha.io/

>Using a proprietary equation editor from fucking 1996
You deserve it.

Quite literally nobody involved in mathematics uses Word over Latex. Try harder next time you roleplay.

>what is χ
uneducated turbonigger

arxiv.org/
I have yet to find a single paper that is made in Word there.

Huh, always thought the X was a stylistic thing.

you never will, this faggot is maybe a junior in highschool, if that

arxiv is not a publication magazine.
show me how many papers in publication are submitted in latex.
this is the problem with Sup Forumstards. you have no idea what you talk about and yet you still want to feel smug

>tfw did my thesis with office doc
LaTeX isn't known here, and you're expected to upload the doc files later to the uni library before graduating.
At least I won't do that anymore.

>maths publishing
What's that? Are you researching new numbers or something?

Fucking arbitrary code execution wouldn't even be a problem in an office program if windows users ween't retarded enough to open random word docs attached to spam. They could just leave the old equation editor there until they release the new one.

>physics
>the same field that calls torus "donut"
opinion discarded

How absolutely retarded can you be?
Do you actually click on the integral symbol in the equation editor?
Holy fucking shit.

Maybe you should spend a couple of hours learning latexing so that you can make your papers in a fraction of the time.

You realize that LITERALLY anything that humans are making is built upon math?

Engineers need mathematicians to make their shit solvable.

Or do you want to solve a 10^6 x 10^6 system of equations by hand?

The only correct answer.

>I have never heard of LyX.
Haha.

>steaming
You can get steaming latex but that means a model wearing latex.

In what country??

you must be a worthless experimental physicist from a shithole country

>You can get steaming latex but that means a model wearing latex.
I see it is being discussed on Sup Forums already.

not talking about me but about academics in general. but im sure a professional big bang theory viewer knows better

>ive never seen latex used in academia
I have yet to see one of my math professors who doesn't use it.

>upload the doc files
absolutely disgusting

Forgot to mention that it's high school level maths publishing, so worksheets, tests, and the like.
Not even studying maths, only biological sciences.

Word because the clients want to be able to open and edit worksheets and the like on their machine.

Equation Editor because it's the simplest thing to learn for new employees. Basically part-time job.

Well, that's one way to enrage Sup Forums.

>Word because the clients want to be able to open and edit worksheets and the like on their machine.
LaTeX is edited with Notepad.

Understand that. I'm responding to those complaining about using Microsoft Office in general.

Main reason against using LaTeX here is as it will be a major pain to train new employees to use LaTeX and get to use to it and working at a speed comparable to clicking a few things with Equation Editor.

Also, you talk about using LaTeX to edit equations to a tutor or teacher and you're guaranteed to scare about half of them off to another product.

>can't patch software you created because you lost the source code
only at microsoft

What a fucking retard. Use Tex you shitstain.

>"Equation Editor is a stripped-down version of Data Science's MathType app"
microsoft doesn't create software, they buy or license it from someone else

Nigger I have no clue about CS, doing biochem rn, I learned that shit in like a week

>at a speed comparable to clicking a few things with Equation Editor
Word's equation editor is so badly designed and laggy LaTeX actually is faster. LaTeX will give you access to more symbols too.

>you're guaranteed to scare about half of them off
That's not an argument. I (CS student) frequently see idiots opening E***s to manually change some variable names when running sed or even %s on vim takes 10 seconds. Just because it's out of their special needs child comfort zone doesn't mean their solution is better. Imagine transposing this to choosing libraries in C and claiming you're scared by foreign APIs on your resume.

If you plan on working in academia or engineering yet can't afford to learn something as simple and as suited for the job you claim as LaTeX, you don't deserve a degree.

There are a few. They're always dogshit though.

All of them are retard. Not only that but in most domains, journals don't mean shit and people who submit to journals are often shat on.

Wrong. Mathematicians """discover""" what has been known in a discipline such as a science or engineering for decades and then pretends they're important and the work could not have been done without them. The fact is, """mathematicians""" should be treated the same as """philosophers""" and other women studies'-tier niggers.

>Wrong.
I am pretty sure I am not, since I am actual "doing math".

>Mathematicians """discover""" what has been known in a discipline such as a science or engineering for decades
I honestly do not think you know what math is.
Nobody in mathematics has discovered something "known in engineering", this is simply idiotic, and shows that you are uneducated about mathematics and engineering/science.

>could not have been done without them.
But this is true?
How else do you expect a Linear system to be solved?
By hand?

>The fact is, """mathematicians""" should be treated the same as """philosophers"""
So as reasonable human beings with interesting insights into the world?
Or are you such a fedora lord that you believe "philosophy is worthless".

what the fuck, even my sociologist friends use latex
shut the fuck up you massive retard

I'm a math grad student, and even during my undergrad years, literally everyone was using LaTeX, /sci/ is also pretty comfortable with it, why are CSfags so averse to it?

>clients
>employees
>job
This is understandable, though. Outside of the academic world the average person will be too retarded to understand LaTeX.

>So as reasonable human beings with interesting insights into the world?
The problem with "philosophy" today is what is taught in schools is history about philosophers, along a sprinkle of political propaganda. Instead of logical reasoning and argumentation.

Maybe it's better at higher levels of education or other places in the world. I wouldn't know, but I have a hard time imagining it because universities are the breeding grounds for "muh feels" people.

The result is that modern "philosophers" are sophists.

>ournals don't mean shit and people who submit to journals are often shat on.
wow, imagine being retarded enough to believe this. let me guess, because jornals are jewish cultural marxism?
and no, most articles submitted to respectable physics journals are written in word.

>The problem with "philosophy" today is what is taught in schools is history about philosophers, along a sprinkle of political propaganda.
I completely agree, but that doesn't invalidate philosophy itself.

>universities are the breeding grounds for "muh feels" people.
That is very true, at least in my experience, but not just in philosophy.

>I completely agree, but that doesn't invalidate philosophy itself.
Absolutely not, but I see why people shit on it... Because they don't know what it is.

Really, logical reasoning and argumentation should be taught in grade school.

>That is very true, at least in my experience, but not just in philosophy.
Yeah, in all subjects.

What propaganda are you talking about?

>professional environment
>not using Microshit on the user end for everything because it's more "reliable" than linux and comes with actual support instead of elitist retards on a GNU-Forum with Linux.

This is how I know you've never worked enterprise level, and only done small startups or managed a network with more than 50 pleb users before.

No network meant to be used by aging boomers who can barely install a printer in the same building runs anything except Microshit.

If they DO run linux, its confined to the server room and the plebs in their cubicles will never know. They all run Windows 7/10, use Office 365, and panic every time their computer does anything it hasn't done before.

This includes pleb math and chemistry majors crunching numbers on petroleum formulae on their shitty windows 10 HP laptops.

Because when something breaks, we want to be able to paste an error code into the Microshit KB and get a fix, not dig through forum posts on fucking LinuxQuestions.org.

>Only a few months ago, the Windows giant thought its Equation Editor could be saved: its software engineers, lacking access to the ancient app's source code, fixed a security flaw in the program by manually patching the binary executable file.
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF PROPRIETARY CODE

>people use Windows because other people use Windows
Ironclad proof of quality, you dumb fucking nigger. Pasting error code and getting solution? Things that never happened for 200. By the same token you can get identical results in Linux, except you will only have to highlight the code in the browser and middle click in terminal and it's done, no dicking around with a million obscure dialogs and editing registry manually.

Oops, looks like you mistook meth for math. Not a surprise when you keep "doing meth".

Nice backpedaling and strawman combined. I guess reality is not real since you say so lord o god.

>I'm too fucking retarded to navigate around in windows
The post

10/10 argument.

You should get that anus ache treated soon before it festers.

>smart enough to navigate non euclidean windows interface
>not smart enough to copy and paste a line of text
acephalic_wojak.jpg

?

>getting this butthurt because you're too retarded to learn LaTeX
lmao

nice finding imaginary fallacies and not responding to my argument.

nah, dude I use latex for everything, even presentations I am just saying that actual publishing is done in word.

Whatever you say junior. Your peerless experience and knowledge of a reality that somehow differs from everyone else's surely comes from your middle school dropout I'm sure.

is it too late to join the latex circle jerk?

libarts here, even I use LaTeX

maybe thats because I am the only one here that moved beyond freshman courses and actually worked with real scientists and read actual contemporary papers

Nice dreams you have. Maybe one day you'll finally succeed in middle school and be one step closer to this. But hey, meanwhile, be sure to keep talking down to people who have completed their post-docs and are well known in their field. This surely shows your wide knowledge and intelligence which none can hope to match.

Anyone used AsciiMath much? I ultimately need MathML but I found tools to convert both LaTeX and AsciiMath to it, which do you think is preferable?