WHY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER KEEPS TELLING ME TO NOT MAKE GAMES USING SDL2, OPENGL AND C++

WHY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER KEEPS TELLING ME TO NOT MAKE GAMES USING SDL2, OPENGL AND C++.

HUH DUH X ENGINE ALREADY EXIST
BUT X ENGINE IS TRASH

>waaaah why can't i waste my time reinventing the wheel?!!!

that trash X engine is miles better than your engine ever will be
just use Unity or Unreal Engine 4 you dummy

Minecraft Win10 edition runs on C++ and seems to be very well optimised compared to the java edition, although that's not saying much

>some single programmers made Cave story, touhou and SNES games without unity and unreal
>huh duh is impossible

Just write one your way and they you will know, it will give you lot of experience, do not listen to them.

Between SDL2 and SFML, I can tell you is not worth using SDL2.

back then there weren't any freely available, highly supported game engines so they had to be made
if you aren't a big company that can afford to make an inhouse engine specifically tailored for you specific game then your best option is Unity or UE4
you can waste years writing your own engine (and then abandon it and your game halfway through)

Does it have good mods?

Writing your own engine is very good as a learning experience but not practical at all if you actually want to release a game

Unity is trash filled with half assed features and bloat shit, UE4 can't even run on my toaster because of the bloat.

My goal isn't bloat AAA game, but Cave story.

Also unity 2D physics are dogshit for any serious 2D game that requires so much manually tweaking I may as well, write my own custom physics.

Godot may as well not have documentation because nobody uses it.

>WHY EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER KEEPS TELLING ME TO NOT MAKE GAMES USING SDL2, OPENGL AND C++.
Well it's not like they tied your fucking hands up OP, go at it.

>The white square problem
>You successfully loaded a texture, constructed a sprite correctly, and... all you see on your screen now is a white square. What happened?
>This is a common mistake. When you set the texture of a sprite, all it does internally is store a pointer to the texture instance. Therefore, if the texture is destroyed or moves elsewhere in memory, the sprite ends up with an invalid texture pointer.
>You must correctly manage the lifetime of your textures and make sure that they live as long as they are used by any sprite.
Welp. SFML is garbage.

You don't need to write your own engine to make a game, you only need to write a game.

>UE4 can't even run on my toaster because of the bloat
bull
fucking
shit
I have a (now) toaster laptop (i5 3210M + Radeon HD7730M) and it runs just fine
For a game with 2D textures it would run even better
stop wasting your valuable time by reinventing the wheel and start doing productive work

None afaik, only reason I use it is for cross compatibility with Xbox because my mates are consolefags

Why in the absolute fuck would you use Unity or Unreal for a 2D game?

If someone isn't capable of using SDL or OpenGL directly for a 2D game, then they shouldn't be doing anything related to game development, period. That's not even reinventing the wheel, you fucking retard.

Thanks, C++.

I have a geforce 8400gs and a dual core.

It'd probably have much more mods if Minecraft was coded in C++ from the beginning, I'd say porting mods over from Java is a pain, and why would you when the Java version is superior in every aspect bar performance?

>Why in the absolute fuck would you use Unity or Unreal for a 2D game?
Unity and UE4 both have come a long way to support 2D games only
You would use these engines to MAKE THE GAME NOW, and not MAKE THE GAME AFTER I FINISH MAKING THIS ENGINE

jesus fucking christ are you stuck in 2007?
I get it that this is the worst time for upgrading your PC but damn get with the times and get some new hardware
if you are super poor then get a R3 1200 and a (heh) cheap GPU

Not OP but making my own game engine is the thing that keeps me from actually quiting.
While UE4 and Unity are not as trash as OP says they are not perfect at the same time. For smallish games where you don't go full battlefield tier FPS a base OS abstraction library like SDL2 some png or even some full blown asset loading libraries are better and faster than using a commercial engine and learning its documentation. When you add 3d physics in to your engine i guess it would be the time to consider them , but it's still not necessary.
tl;dr simple games don't need huge engines

>bro just trash this completelly fine software
>bro just spend money on more hardware because software developers make newer software shittier and shitter
>just use W10 bro
>what are u poor
kys capitalist whore.

>software
hardware *

>It'd probably have much more mods if Minecraft was coded in C++ from the beginning
Reaching levels of delusion unseen before. Java programs are trivial to decompile and extend, every class being in its own separate file. C++ linker puts everything into one huge heap, without any indication of what is what. If Minecraft was written in C++, without a special API there would be no mods at all.

I'm an engineering student and I don't have any programming knowledge. I just started C++ as part of the computer engineering module. We use Macs for the labs, but I was trying to do some basic work myself at home on my windows laptop and it's a pain in the ass.
I tried getting some compiler plugin for Notepad++, that didn't work, something to do with the system being 64bit.
I then tried visual studio as we get that free with college. It's a bloated piece of shit for my sort of needs, and it didn't even me compile anything either, some other bug apparently.
I'm seriously considering having a Linux USB handy because compared to OSX where you literally type "make filename" in terminal, windows is a fucking disaster.
Know any good distros I could use just for fucking around with C++ ?

linux mint or any ubuntu distro.

if you don't want bloat, use lubuntu.

What about löve?

If you're going to bother listening to other peoples' opinions, then you've already lost. You use what works for you.

Fuck, you might as well use RPG Maker MV to make your game if you're not going to make your own decisions. All you need to do is script some shit in Python.

Not that guy but they are making an api for mods on minecraft windows10/xbox/whatever.
I think they are calling it "creation pack"

Visual Studio is very good. I am telling you this as a person who makes living writing software for Linux, primarily in C++. There are some really silly things in it, but changing few settings for the new project is all it takes to start working (of course, I personally don't use VS at work, for obvious reasons).

If you really want your linux makefile, there are two approaches: the easiest one is just to get a VM. You could setup an ssh server and samba share, and end up with a command line where you compile, and a mounted share with files you can edit using any Windows editors.

Another option is compatibility layer like Cygwin or msys2. They work very well and you end up with executables that run on windows.

Although I would still recommend you an IDE because debugging without IDE is a chore, and if you are learning, you should be debugging a lot.

CLion and Qt Creator are both very good, and work for both Linux and Windows.

Having to reboot every time you want to program is very inconvenient.

That's not an api for mods, user, what are you talking about?

You shouldn't make games with C++, you should make game engines. Integrate a bytecode VM for a specific high level language and extend it for game development.

Visual Studio only starts getting good when your project size becomes nontrivial. It's too much bloat for small shit. Although I do like how brain dead easy it is to debug C++ on it.

It's more like a managed environment for making applications like Node with JavaScript than it is a game engine.

It's got a fuckton of bindings to C bindings that wrap around C++ functions to be called from the Lua scripting interface.

It also uses SDL2 for rendering.

Outside of the Lua binds very little of Löve2D was actually written by the author(s).

It's perfectly fine for projects as small as hello world. Make new C++ command line project, take few moments to delete all auto-created files, disable precompiled header in projects settings, make main.c/main.cpp with main() function in it, and you're done.

At high school we used codeblocks

>i5 3210M + Radeon HD7730M
>toaster
Someone got shitty programs.

use monogame then

>what are function signatures

Ultimately it just comes down to what you will enjoy working on more: making an engine or reading/researching documentation. Personally I find it a lot easier to make my way through my own engine, because if I need something, I know I can make it happen. That is significantly less likely in Unity/Unreal/Gamemaker/ any other engine. It's also worth thinking about the inspiration that can come from questioning fundamental ideas about engine design. In the space of all possible games, there are plenty that fall outside the bounds of what a normal commercial engine allows for (if not explicitly being unable to create it, then implicitly in poor optimization for it)

Because you should be making games in SDL2, OpenGL and C instead, like me

Seriously though, it's considerably more difficult compared to using some existing engine, so you should really only do it if you're one of those crazy people who enjoys programming a lot

They are either stupid or shilling a proprietary garbage.