Tech Job thread

Tech job thread! No code monkey developers plz
>What field do you work in?
>What are you currently working on?
>Any questions/advice welcome!

Mainframe Engineer here, currently learning mainframe assembler.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"IT" for a charity. Part time since they can't afford more hours.
Can't afford anything, really.
It's mostly "hey we have a ten year old desktop that stopped working can you fix it?" - nope cause the motherboard is fucked. Buy a new one. B-but we pay you to fix this!

Retards gonna retard - I'd recommend it only if you have someone managing you that understands basic "computers get old and stop working". After the CEO left, things are fucked.

Currently working on CCNA/A+ (both) though since I have like 1 hour's work out of the 20ish hours I'm there and it's my first job outside of teaching a computer course

cloud support :(

sounds fun... What kind of stack do you support?

Webmaster for wordpress site
Kill me

Data engineering

Finished migrating and upgrading an ES clusters and the supporting services to 5.6.6 from 5.4.x, prepped indexers to be moved to kubernetes, next week is planning for upgrading some an older 1.x ES cluster for a customer facing portion of an older part of our application that's in AWS that will eventually be killed next year, it's functionality will be replaced with our on prem clusters

1.x ES clusters are cancerous, thankfully there's only two 1.x clusters left in our infrastructure

Which CCNA are you going for?

Automated driving engineer.

AMA

distributed systems engineer
kernel dev in free time

Cloud host, we do IaaS, SaaS and PaaS.
Learning the field, only been doing it a few months. Trying to get my hands dirty, but I'm awkwardly stuck in not having enough to do.

I tried to kill my timesheets with working on the Spectre/Meltdown stuff, but there's not much me to do.
What's up my dude?

Part time IT guy at the local county building. I don't do shit mainly just browse YouTube Reddit and Sup Forums all day.

I work in help desk
AMA

You have much outside support?

>r*ddit
You have to go back.

"DevOps" and security work in cloud environments with pretty much zero oversight.

Basically do a bunch of research and automation when not babysitting shitty developers.

What tools do you use? And are you process driven, like for example you have a daily check list?

Is that part-time? If so how much does it pay? It sounds like an easy earner on the side.
>Trying to get my hands dirty, but I'm awkwardly stuck in not having enough to do.
I know how you feel, it was the same for my first ~18 months. Stick at it and try and pick up as much as you can.

I do a similar job to this user but "not baby sitting developers" is pretty rare.

It's literally every day that I get a "there is a problem with the server" ticket, investigate, and find some PHP dev left out a closing bracket.

>I know how you feel, it was the same for my first ~18 months. Stick at it and try and pick up as much as you can.
The guys that I work with are great - always happy to explain things and patient with my retardation. Manager is also super cool, more that happy to spend an hour or so explain a concept or product.

Did this great mini lecture (white boards and all) of why/how vm snapshots happen - this was after one of the service desk guys created one and left it running until it reached 800gb. Thankfully we caught it before it killed the customer.

Beginner sysadmin
Looking for a new job, all I have to do is replacing toners in a Hospital for like 380 bucks a month
>Any questions/advice welcome!
How do I find a job in west Yurop if I know english but no German? Are there international jobs for beginners? Or should I work here for x months to get "experience" on paper?

t.Yuropoor

Currently training for 3D1X2
Learning a lot of outdated information on networking and telephony
Pretty fun though.

I'm a web developer for a bank you've seen commercials for on tv. Military focused

Some kind of IT for a TV channel in my country. I say some kind because we have also Sysadmins and CAU, so we are more like "the guys who fix it". We did a little of everything, from fixing or searching shit in databases to manage some content upload to the diferents websites of this TV channel etc. . .

This badge looks cool dude.

Current tooling and processes are sort of a mess because I came in late. I am working on changing that now that I have gained some authority.

Hashicorp Vault, Consul and Packer.
Jenkins for builds and some pipelines.
Chef for config management but I have not had experience with others like Puppet.
ELK for monitoring but I've stayed away from getting too involved here since devs are driving requirements.

After years of pushing for containerization and being shot down I just said fuck it and started using Docker. Will be using Kubernetes soon as well.

As far as process goes my team is sort of a black sheep Kanban team mixed in with a bunch of strict SCRUM dev teams. We get requirements (or emergency emails) from dev teams that can shakeup our daily priorities and process. Otherwise it would just be daily standup, dashboard health.and weekly backlog review.

What part controls like EE side or localization / ML?

Work in fintech writing Java. Won't say what I'm working on but it's not that interesting.

Antenna network monitoring. I spend 10 hours in front of my 4 screens waiting a breakdown that never comes.

>currently learning mainframe assembler
What are you going to use Univac or CDC assembly for in 2018? Oh, you meant z/Arch? Then why don't you say so?

That being said, I recently read up on the s/360 ISA, and was surprisingly impressed. I was always under the impression that s/360 represented all the worst things of CISC, but apart from a few weird warts, it was surprisingly elegant, forward-looking and even RISC-like in many ways.

Self-employed gamedev, together with one friend.
A moderately successful, small MMO. Doing mostly everything technical myself, from coding the entire game and auxiliary systems to maintaining the servers. We're *almost* in the black.

So sorry user

Im 23, first job, just started on a casual basis (to work around uni) at a company doing IT support for small to mid size business after they lost a couple of techs, immediately asking me to work full time I've saved their ass quite a bit, giving me a great opportunity that I'm very appreciative of getting.

Awesome small team of guys, a personal focus with clients. It's a great job, tempted to drop uni altogether and make $$$ instead.

3D0X2, testing for CompTIA Security+ certification next month

It's a trade off. 300+ days of soul crushing corporate office space programming work each year in exchange for $145k and living on a 5 acre property on a hill surrounded by gorgeous live oak and a house my wife and I built together.

ey, everyone has a price, even when it comes to TPS reports
costs n benefits m8

IT Everything for a public school. One man show currently deploying server 2016 federated with google cloud.

21 year old college student
fix smartphones, laptops, computers, etc

a 15 in retina macbook pro came in today
it appears that someone took it apart to clean off water damage, put it back together incorrectly, and sold it to some dude who brought it in for us to fix

Codemonkey dev

>Web development
>Mobile app for an appliance store
>I own a Lotus Evora and work 35 hours a week lololl

>Lotus Evora
>$92k msrp
LMAO

Okay Sup Forums so I have some doubts please give me some help/advice.

I'm a 21 y/o without any real experience working in IT. I've always liked computers and stuff and I studied for a CCNA but didn't do the cert exam for personal reasons (was depressed as fuck and ended up leaving my country).
I learn really fast compared to most people and also well, like tech in general, so was thinking about getting a job in the field with tech support, basic networking or really whatever I could find to start, even if the pay and everything is awful, so I can continue learning and gaining experience.

I started looking again at IT jobs around but all the requisites were fucking depressing: careers, +1 year experience, endless list of required skills, etc for shitty barely above minimum wage jobs.

Then a friend of mine who works in the sector here (London) told me to not worry, and just absolutely lie out of my ass everywhere, said that's how things work here.
I'm really worried about even if I get hired then not being able to do whatever I was hired for, but he told me in most jobs they list these huge requirements of knowledge but then just show you more or less step by step how to do whatever they want you to do. And that's the thing, I'm really good at learning. I'm bad at sitting down and studying (reason I'm in this situation), but if you briefly explain me whatever I'll most often get it straight away, also can do my own research quickly and learn to fix stuff on my own etc, so I think I would actually do a good job in most places... but not sure.

Question basically is... should I just do that? lie in my CV saying I have studies and work experience in the field that I don't have and apply for a job, and pray that I don't fuck up?
(again I have knowledge about consumer hardware, windows, some linux, some networking even if I may be a bit rusty on that one...) Or will I just get fired straight away and fire exploding spaghetti out of my pockets everywhere in the first day?

Computer tech for a hospital

Godspeed

>I'm really good at learning. I'm bad at sitting down and studying

on-point reaction image
get dat adcdhd and discipline problems treated m8
did the depressive episode gig, not fun
read this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise
start applying without lying on yer CV. Doesn't mean you can't present yourself in the best possible light, *without lying*
in the meantime, check which job offers are most likely to be helped by hobby projects, e.g. home lab for networking/support as a means to demonstrate "I fucked up the college shit, but I'm highly motivated and have actual (non-professional) experience with tech X, Y, etc"

no dont fucking lie you dipshit

Alright that's a good idea, thanks. I actually did some networking home labs and some other stuff so that might help.
Also thanks for the read, I knew some of that stuff since I know I felt much better mentally when I used to exercise, I definitely gotta do some again.

okay but, why? not even slightly? Say I list as having given tech support in a small company in a part of my country where they don't even speak english, for maybe even only a brief time.
They wouldn't be able to contrast it most definitely and at worst I'd just seem like an incompetent idiot that did a terrible job.

Anyways thanks for the replies, I'm myself really not a fan of the idea of lying since I never do it and I'm bad at it.

>not a fan of the idea of lying since I never do it and I'm bad at it.
oh boy, so guess how well you'd fare if you need to fake/defend it during the interview?
it's called spin, my boy, no need to stoop down to lying

sysadmin for a small company.

currently deploying a network monitor for our services since no one thought to do it before I entered the building.

I work for a company that handles IT and networking for a few dozen small (think less than 20 people) businesses in the area. Most networks are firewall/router (Sonicwalls mostly, none of that consumer shit), one 24-48 port managed switch, sometimes a VoIP system, and a server. Sometimes the server is just a simple DC on bare metal that does file storage, WebDAV, VPN, and active directory, sometimes it's a HyperV host with a DC and a terminal server in separate VMs, kinda depends on the business. The most complex network we manage is ~50 users, with a VoIP system, three 48 port PoE managed switches, a fax server and two ESXi hosts handling several VMs each (EMR server, terminal server, PBX, one DC per host, a couple of database servers, and a couple more misc VMs), also public/private wireless and a camera system with a DVR.

I want to end up in a data center, and I've done a lot of reading about load balancing and VLANs and IIS/Apache/NGINX and a lot of other concepts, but I don't really have hardware to mess around with and that's really the way I learn best. With my skillset and assuming I've been doing this for ~3 years now, how easy would it be for me to get into that kind of job? I don't have a degree, I could probably get an A+ cert pretty easy and maybe even Net+ and some Microsoft certs.