Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pjpIq9NE-x0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

listen to the most acclaimed jazz works and then go deeper from there

>Ornette Coleman
>...
>Ornette Coleman

That's pretty much it.

Understand music theory, if you don't then you can only ever have a superficial appreciation of jazz.

Classic pleb opinion from people who think they're knowledgeable.

it's right though, in order to properly appreciate jazz then you must understand music theory, otherwise you're probably just listening out for catchy melodies like your average pop, rock or hip hop song.

I think the overall idea of a piece can be obtained without knowing anything about music theory, I think it helps a lot, but I don't think it's 100% necessary. For certain artists it is more so than for other. I mean everybody can kind of understand A Love Supreme.

Listen to some jazz. If you like it listen to more jazz by those people. If not listen to jazz by different people.

Kind of Blue, The Jazz Messengers (s/t), Blue Train, and The Bridge are good starting places. Avoid Thelonius Monk and Charles Mingus until you are a bit more seasoned. Coleman recs are misguided - you need to love jazz before you give him a chance, in my opinion.

I'd say some Mingus is as entry-level as it gets. Think Blues & Roots

literally anyone trying to get into jazz could enjoy Moanin' or Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Where's Sun Ra ?

just post on Sup Forums about it

I know music theory pretty well but WEW LAD

Any Acid-Jazz recommendations?

you don't into jazz

jazz into you

Start with the classic LP's or find artists like Joni Mitchell or Van Morrison who blend Jazz into their music and bridge across into the deeper stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=pjpIq9NE-x0

listen to epic sax guy for 10 hours

That's all but useless if you can't actually identify the changes/patterns/layers.

You Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen Nitrogen