CONTROVERSY-CORE

Post music that's controversial, not just on Sup Forums (because everything is controversial here), but generally polarizing. Albums by artists that most critics will call either brilliant or moronic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q92QibNpb0A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Count_(album)#Controversy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lulu

Trout Mask Replica

definitely this, most of the reviews for this album were either 9 and 10/10s, or 4 and 2/10s

No one genuinely liked Lulu
>inb4 I did

Blue Lambency Downward and Here Comes the Indian maybe?

xgau, bowie, and the wire did

how the hell is ferraro controversial in any sense

add xiu xiu to this shit

when this was released it was pretty polarizing from what I read

>ded gribs
>casual filter

Good choice, I'll add it.

Have any critics really panned this?

I don't really wanna have two of any artist, but I'll think about it because it's a good choice.

I'm not familiar with the first one, but it seems like a good choice. Not really sure how controversial HCTI is though.

Which Xiu Xiu? Critics tend to be pretty split on FSV, and vaporwave is generally polarizing. Also there's the whole Wire controversy.

I'm gonna have to think about this one.

A lot of those are Sup Forums memes and pretty well received albums. Machine Gun or Ascension might be good, there should definitely be a free jazz album up there. Some later Coltrane or Sun Ra maybe?

Bump with updated chart

The Life of Pablo, yo.

...Ascension by John Coltrane is RIGHT fucking there

The PC music compilation

>definitely this, most of the reviews for this album were either 9 and 10/10s, or 4 and 2/10s
PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT PITCHFORK ALERT

Perhaps. I sort of feel like Kanye should be included, but I think his personality is much more polarizing than his music.

Om is still controversial tho. Also I'm not really sure how controversial Ascension was, free jazz was pretty much in full swing by that point ya? Maybe I'll include Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz, or something by Sun Ra. I'm open to suggestions on the jazz front.

Pinkerton?

Good choices, I'll add these.

Good decision with adding Om OP, great album

Kid A

Updated

youtube.com/watch?v=Q92QibNpb0A

#1 album. I even got a shirt of the picture

Solid choice, I was thinking of adding some Whitehouse, but this is better.

came here to post this
can we see the shirt? (thats pretty fucked up desu)

Why is Naked City polarizing? And I'd argue Aesthethica was the more hotly debated album by Liturgy.

Here's the thing about Peter Sotos. The man had some serious pipes. He had a 15 octave range and he excelled in any octave. He wrote brilliant songs. And his stage presence was only matched by Adolf Hitler. Seriously, watch him play Bundy at Live Aid and then watch a video of the Nuremburg rallies. We had better Thank Your Lucky Stars that Peter Sotos didn't go into politics or he would have taken over the world. But Whitehouse had a brilliant dynamic. It wasn't just the Peter Sotos backup band. They all made huge creative contributions to what made Whitehouse what it is. Yes, Peter wrote Bird Seed, Private, and Public, but William Bennett wrote Wriggle Like a Fucking Eel, Cut Hands Has The Solution, and A Cunt Like You, and Steve Albini wrote Birthdeath Experience. Other bands like Throbbing Gristle for instance were not like that. Throbbing Gristle was basically just the Sleazy backup band. Buyer's Market was this perfect storm of legendary talent, and Peter Sotos was the face of it all, the delicious cherry on top of an already delicious sundae. He was the ambassador that allowed the amazing talent of sexually abused children to be brought into our lives. He was the prism that focused the lazer beams from the brains of Merzbow, Stefan Burnett, and Grimes and amplified them until they were powerful enough to blow our minds out through our ear holes. Yes, he was the most incredible front man who ever lived, hands down.

Something by Burzum? Or some other NSBM type thing

Mr. Bungle S/T and/or Disco Volante

The latter is more widely respected but they both fit pretty well under the you-either-love-it-or-hate-it banner.

This album is an RYM/Sup Forums meme. Nobody outside of these communities gives a shit about it.
This goes against the rule in the OP,

>Post music that's controversial, not just on Sup Forums (because everything is controversial here), but generally polarizing.
>nor just on Sup Forums

ebin xD

heres my favorite shirt... oh how I love explaiing it to people

cringe

fuck i love this album so much

sorry I didnt know it was a meme, I discovered it through my love for harsh noise

I was thinking albums that are more musically controversial, not necessarily albums with controversial creators.

Naked City is pop music that alienates pop fans, jazz that alienates jazz fans, and grindcore/punk that alienates punk fans. I think both albums are pretty hotly debated, but I think the reviews were generally milder for Aesthethica.

...What is the explanation, "I'm a pedophile"?

I may include that, although Birdseed or something might be a better addition.

>Birdseed

that is also not a controversial album
desu the only people who think noise and power electronics are still controversial are noise and power electronics fans who want to feel dangerous/cutting-edge

Well how about Deafheaven?

Pulse Demon is by far the most controversial noise album. I prefer Birdseed too, but just look at the comments to Pulse Demon on YouTube.

pulse demon is controversial more because it's the most infamous noise album and draws in people who have never heard noise period

>Pulse Demon is by far the most controversial noise album.

not really, pulse demon just has meme appeal because of the eyesore album cover
it stirred no actual controvery IRL, all it's got going for it as far as controversy is concerned is teenagers going "wtf this isnt music" online

pretty much the only truly controversial noise album was metal machine music due to being made by an established pop/rock musician

why the fuck would you get a buyers market shirt
you sick fuck

like any normal person would even get the reference

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

bcuz its so hardcore and transgressive bro, it makes all the normies cower in their inferiority

nevermind that the only people whod actually recognize that shirt would just think that the guy was an embarrassing memester fuck for wearing it

I meant more that it was controversial among critics familiar with noise / power electronics, but I think you're right, whitehouse isn't really controversial enough.

I hate how people always giggle about the album and think it's funny and shit. Like are we ducking 12?

This definitely needs to be added

This is Sup Forums so probably.

>it was controversial among critics familiar with noise / power electronics

it wasn't
by the mid 2000s whitehouse and their schtick were long-established, there was nothing particularly novel or surprising about any elements of the album.
not the way it sounded, not the themes it covered.

yeah, THIS was a genuinely controversial album, not some fucking noise record that avant-teens namedrop on Sup Forums and reddit for the sake of looking edgy

also, ice cube's death certificate
that album caused a shitstorm on par with the first NWA record when it came out

>Implying I care about strangers opinions

also Ive never met anyone yet who knew what it was. If I ever do, Id assume they are a total freak

if you ever meet someone who knows what that is, they're probably just a Sup Forumstant. having a fucking shirt of it is a bit retarded. are you a pedophile, a memer, or an edgelord?

>like are we ducking twelve?
You probably are

>oh how I love explaiing it to people
What do you tell them? What are their reactions?

how are you missing this

This thread is talking more about controversy in the context of critical reception, not in like real life events

Also this kind of

not a pedophile, I like the album because it envokes the saddest of emotions, showing the worst of society, it's art

I genuinly love harsh noise, and I discovered this album from whitehouse, not Sup Forums,

call me whatever name you want ;)

I tell them its a picture of a raped and murdered girl and that I wear it because I hate kids

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Count_(album)#Controversy

This is not controversial. Not on the scale of the albums already in the chart.

machine gun is the shit tho

also, what about this one?

Those two types of controversy are inexorably intertwined. They influence each other.

Is both considered his best and worst depending on who you ask.

these are the only things ITT that were actually controversial. step it up guys

Charles Manson - Lie: The Love and Terror Cult

It's actually got some pretty good tracks, but it's controversial for obvious reasons.

Hadn't looked yet, my bad, I'm a fucking hypocrite

This.