What is Paul's best bass line?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ehqKpPmVcK4
youtube.com/watch?v=DRCgueckAXE
youtu.be/zNkhjr0rVMU
youtube.com/watch?v=hs9SToSWp-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rain

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Get Back

I Saw Her Standing There

cheeky

hey bulldog

Helter Skelter it's so raw or Papaerbak Writer cos it just rolls along

Agreed

Hello Goodbye, Taxman, Come Together, etc. are all very fun to play. A Day in the Life is probably the best in how it serves the composition though.

Temporary Secretary.
youtube.com/watch?v=ehqKpPmVcK4

Lovely Rita is great

TEMPORARY

John Lennon played the bass on Helter Skelter.

these are good

No, it's seriously my favourite.

That bassline was lifted from "I'm Talking About You" by Chuck Berry.

lovely rita is A1 best paul bass performance

you mean billy's best bassline

Dear Prudence

Fuck off, paul didn't die you freak

probably this

These are top tier

Help!
is my pick for underrated bass line

Only correct answer

he had a stuntdouble for the movies they made, that's all that bullshit conspiracy is based on.

Didn't know that till you told me. Good on John then.I've Got the Beatles Anthology book recently. It's next on my reading list.

Talents borrow, geniuses steal

this taxman and i saw her standing there

Objectively correct
Also Goodnight Tonight: youtube.com/watch?v=DRCgueckAXE

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey.

Fact.

All My Loving is one of his best early lines imo, but Taxman and Something are top-tier bass lines. It's worth noting that both are George songs. Peak McCartney was such a top-flight overall musician/song writer/vocalist, that the finer points of his bass-playing always felt so overlooked to me. Whenever I see accurate covers of his lines on YouTube im blown away by a lot of the note choices, placement, and rhythms he chose.

Hey Bulldog

Dear Prudence

Different user, but when you ever get the chance, look back on an isolated track from that song and you might "get" why it's more John than Paul, it's a ratty, gnarly, sloppy performance on a Fender VI, doesn't quite feel as smooth as a typical McCartney line. And yet Paul was featured heavily on guitars on that one if I'm not mistaken, so he could get freaky too. Sometimes I laugh at how easily the beatles switched around on instruments in the later stages of ther career, (except for Ringo, Ringo always chilled on the kit), either out of necessity or for kicks. I'm fairly certain Harrison played bass on a Let It Be track (and might have used a guitar to play the line), Paul did drums on back in the USSR, john did bass on gently weeps, and they all took turns doing lead guitar. I'm pretty sure Paul played most of the lead guitar lines for Sgt. Pepper (with a righteous tone too), John did a few lead parts in early and late era songs (You Can't Do That from A Hard Day's Night, or I Want You from Abbey Road.) Pretty cool case of career-long musical chairs.

Paperback Writer

>A Day in the Life is probably the best in how it serves the composition though
pleb who knows absolutely nothing about music composition here, can you help me out what exactly you mean by this?

*and The Beatles altogether
I'm new to this

Hey user, I can try to help with this question (keep in mind this is coming from someone who is strictly an amateur musician but does have some experience with writing, playing, and recording with other musicians for fun, as well as discussing and picking apart musical details for different instruments on songs that we happen to share.)

youtu.be/zNkhjr0rVMU

Click on this link and listen/watch at your leisure and compare with the notes I'll provide.

Note that when the bass comes in, it's accompanying the strummed guitar, piano, and John Lennon's vocals, but no drums. The guitar and piano, by themselves, provide a rather melancholy, bittersweet musical backdrop. The rhythm of the bass, by contrast, is more upbeat, but not in your face, the effect is that it adds to the song's energy subtly. However, just as soon as he comes in with such energy, he tones down from eight notes and opts for slower, lower note choices at different parts of John's verses, which accent a change in mood in the track. Paul alternates between the upbeat and more plodding variations quite a bit during the verse.

The drums comes in, and the contribute their own tasty fills (by tasty I mean, can you really imagine it being played any other way? They seem as integral to the song as any other part.) Paul matches some of these slow, spaced-out fills with his bass part (see 0:57 at the video, it's a simple, slow variation but it lines up well with the drums). Now you start to see the sense for how Paul is contributing to the changing dynamics of the song, and it sounds very pleasing.

When the "woke up, fell out of bed" section comes in, Paul injects a walking, happy energy the entire time. Every verse or so, you can notice a different variation on the theme in the notes he plays, at first it's just straight eigth E notes, but the lines gradually increase in complexity.

Continuing where I left off.

Again, Paul chooses fills to match the instrumental "highlights" that normal listeners will remember, such as the piano fill at 2:26 (he does some real nice sliding licks that blend in perfectly with the piano notes being played), or the fun "panting" vocals at 2:35 or so (again blends the bassline with those.) All while being able to change up his lines and introduce rhythmic variations that don't distract the listener. The reason I think that this is so neat is that it shows how you can use the bass to shine musically on a track while still playing the necessary support game. Bass, in the context of a band driven so heavily by lyricism, vocal harmonies and hooks, is an instrument that unless you actively listen for, does not take the center stage, but if you removed it the song would sound a lot more empty socially, and a lot of character is lost as well. If I took the bass arrangement to A Day in the Life and replaced it with one that was simpler, more repetitive, and leaned mostly on root notes without as many variations or nifty licks that match the "highlights" of the track, or is different transitions, then the effect on any listener would have been incredibly diminished. The point to take from this is that Paul put a lot of thought and effort into crafting his basslines, working with his equipment and technique available to him to do a good job being both supportive and varied.

One fun thing to note: The very beginning of the track has strummed bass chords (not a "common" thing for Paul to do AFAIK), which give a big, meaty sound to support the piano coming in on similar chords. The piano and bass diverge into their own arrangements for the rest of the song, but it's pretty neat because the bass sorta sneaks into the song (I never realized that the bass was in that part of the song until I found this vid, desu).

In addition to some mentioned here, "The Word" has a pretty good, underrated bassline.

Something is easily his best bass line

>The bass during "If you drive a car I'll tax the street"
fuuuuuuck

Tomorrow Never Knows
I'm only being 65% ironic

holy shit never noticed this, FUCK

Damn

It's actually a really great bass line. Very trippy

you

it's day tripper

Day Tripper
Taxman
Paperback Writer
Rain
Hey Bulldog
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Come Together

never knowing whats for real
theres too many good ones to choose

Just remembered Lady Madonna too

And I know it isn't Macca's playing, but god damn I love the bass in Helter Skelter. Look up the isolated bass track on YouTube, you won't regret it. John's playing is absolutely filthy.

This isn't the best, but damn this track is good youtube.com/watch?v=hs9SToSWp-g

who played lead guitar on She Came In Through the Bathroom Window? Sometimes I'll find Paul laid down a lot of guitar.

George played lead on that. But yeah Paul played lead quite a few times, Taxman for example because George couldn't quite get the solo right and asked him to. Damn that guy is a talented musician.

Why the fuck hasn't If I Needed Someone been posted?