Post what your music player looks like, what you're currently listening to, and what you think of it

Cichlisuite is a lot better than I thought it was. Krib and Tilapia are mind melting

Also rate my genre list

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_music
youtube.com/watch?v=GgDrr9fNA6U
youtube.com/watch?v=hFaKnEHFT3w
youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8A7d1UkPk
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60722974/foobar2000-gk-1.1.zip
github.com/19379/js-marc2003
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thats so cluttered. absolutely kill yourself as soon as you possibly can

The album is great, not as good as Something Freaky though.

Recently decided to check out Music Bee after years of Foobar and wish I did it much earlier.

>whole Autechre discography

Patrish my amigo

Post yours mr. minimalist. I use everything that's on the screen

Their ep's are better than their albums half the time

>electronic
>genre

>all those ''electronic'' and rock genres
>just ''classical'', ''jazz'' and ''r&b''

>krautrock, no wave, psychedelia, shoegaze
>not under Rock:

>caribbean
>genre

yeah havent really gotten into classical, jazz, or r&b yet. only have downloaded a couple of essentials. Once I get into them they will get a proper list

Kind of confused by what you mean by electronic not being a genre. What else is the umbrella term for house, techno, breaks, downtempo, idm, glitch etc?

psychedelia and shoegaze are not under rock because a lot of stuff in there is much more pop than rock. you're right about no wave and krautrock though idk why i didnt put those under rock.

also i couldnt decide if i should call it caribbean or reggae

>What else is the umbrella term for house, techno, breaks, downtempo, idm, glitch etc?

Why should there be one?

Why does hip hop get its own section but not techno? Both are about the same age and techno arguably has more variety.

Also if you want an umbrella for Caribbean music, it would be Calypso.

>Calypso is a style of Afro-Caribbean music that originated in Trinidad and Tobago during the early to mid-20th century and spread to the rest of Caribbean Antilles and Venezuela. Its rhythms can be traced back to West African Kaiso and the arrival of French planters and their slaves from the French Antilles in the 18th century.

>Calypso in the Caribbean includes a range of genres, including: the Benna genre of Antiguan and Barbudan music; Mento, a style of Jamaican folk music that greatly influenced ska and reggae; Ska, the precursor to rocksteady and reggae; Spouge, a style of Barbadian popular music; Dominica Cadence-lypso, which mixed calypso with the cadence of Haiti; and soca music, a style of Kaiso/calypso, with influences from cadence-lypso, soul, and funk.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_music

Because when you're in the mood to listen to techno, you probably might want to listen to house or breaks as well?

I'm Artists don't usually tend to stick to one subgenre so I keep my genre tags as broad as possible to avoid any ambiguity as to where something belongs.

>I keep my genre tags as broad as possible
>separates rock, metal, prog, krautrock

Kinda contradicts you're whole techno/house/breaks point.

might be aoty so far

Love the Minutemen, nothing new.

Because house techno breaks trance etc are fairly similar and there is a lot of overlap between them. Hip hop could probably fit under electronic as well tbqh, you're right about that

Thank you for this!

Yeah basically this.

Prog and kraut are together tho, and there is a pretty clear distinction between metal and other types of rock.

If you're arguing that house, techno, breaks etc should be separated at a high genre level, like the separation between rock, jazz, classical and r&b etc, what is your justification for that? Techno, breaks, house, trance, glitch/idm, downtempo they're not that different are they? I mean what is the clear dividing lines between them that is as clear as the dividing lines between rock and jazz and classical?

I appreciate the conversation though, genres are pretty fascinating to me and I'd like to get a better grip of them particularly for "electronic" music

> #
>Thank you for this!

Meant to quote instead, mb

I use MusicBee with a simple Rainmeter skin, with the rest of the program minimized to my taskbar since I generally only have my 1 playlist playing or my whole library on shuffle, and my computer has media keys to change tracks.

Listening to Illusion of Seclusion by Photay, one of the best instrumental tracks I've ever heard or will hear in my life.

>Techno, breaks, house, trance, glitch/idm, downtempo they're not that different are they?

Sure, compared to jazz VS classical VS rock etc, they could be all lumped together.

If you want to use ''electronic'' (as in electronically produced music) as the umbrella, then hip hop should be in there.

In turn though, R&B, funk, reggae should then all be under ''guitar music'' along with rock (as in guitar produced music) as the umbrella.

Not really. Most producers I know it's hard to say whether they're mostly house or techno or dubstep or whatever. They tend to dabble in a little bit of everything. Metal bands stay metal bands. Prog bands stay prog bands.

There are plenty of people who like techno and detest breaks, plenty of drum & bass producers who wouldn't even contemplate making techno. It really works both ways.

what extensions are you using on that foobar?

Simple Foobar200 setup.

Rainmeter and those apps look like total shit.

How is OPN anything like Lolicore?
How are Autechre anything like Grimes?
How is Stockhausen anything like Young Thug?

Instrumentation is a meaningless way to group music.

Facets
ESPlaylist
Musical Spectrum (not the default one)
Biography with some python script that makes it work post-last.fm redesign
Waveform seekbar.

>then hip hop should be in there
You have a point there, as i mentioned earlier. I'll change that.
I guess stuff like ambient, vaporwave, musique concrete, noise should also go under electronic?

>R&B, funk, reggae should then all be under ''guitar music'' along with rock
This is a fair point, however I'm just not really into R&B or reggae right now so I don't mind keeping them separate for now.

Like mentioned though, is instrumentation really the most important thing when separating genres? I dunno.

What exactly is the difference between breaks (of which dnb is a subgenre if im not mistaken) and techno? I've never gotten a good answer to that question on Sup Forums

That's really cool. I've been meaning to figure out rainmeter. I'll check that track out also

Well it works great for me since I always have chrome and discord open, and your 'simple' windows 95 look is nothing but hipster outdated ugliness.

i feel like i could make this more to my liking but i don't know how

lol that simple setup is fitting for black metal

It's my fucking collection. I'm not downloading music I don't like.

>caring this hard about genres
jeez guys, chill

why are you using that windows theme user?

I just never got the point of Rainmeter. Makes your desktop look at a shitty spaceship at the cost of a lot cpu power.

Used to have it similar to but it all become unneeded stuff to display. I just have shortcuts to open up all the features in a smaller window versus displaying 24/7.

not that user but w95 theme is best theme

Wikipedia is your friend, Ishkur can be useful.

>breaks / drum & bass
emerged from rave and oldschool jungle scenes in England during the early 1990s. The style is often characterized by complex syncopation, fast breakbeats (typically between 150–180 beats per minute) with heavy bass and sub-bass lines, sampled sources, and synthesizers and lots and lots of breakbeat samples

>techno
emerged in Detroit, Michigan, in the United States during the mid-to-late 1980s. Its generally repetitive instrumental music. The central rhythmic component is most often in common time (4/4), where time is marked with a bass drum on each quarter note pulse, a backbeat played by snare or clap on the second and fourth pulses of the bar, and an open hi-hat sounding every second eighth note. The tempo tends to vary between approximately 120 to 150 beats per minute (bpm), depending.

Never said you shouldn't, although I don't see how thats relevant.

OP asked about his genre setup.

Because Aero looks like shit and all the other visual styles online are just as retarded and don't work well with other programs.

fair enough

Well as you can clearly see from my two pictures I've posted it plays the small visualizer on the bottom left of my right monitor, and has the date and time along with the currently playing song, no other excess information and is using this much of my cpu
Both rainmeter has been optimized and computers have gotten a lot better since it released in 2009

Still though, why have a visualizer? Why have a text clock when you can have a simple on in the corner?

My recently played albums on spotify.

>What exactly is the difference between breaks (of which dnb is a subgenre if im not mistaken) and techno?
do you even listen to them?
looks quite nice, did you make it yourself or is that a skin?
it's foobar, you can make it look like whatever you want

Because when I'm playing a game fullscreen on my right monitor I can still see the time on my left
The visualizer just looks nice imo

>it's foobar, you can make it look like whatever you want
disregard this, i realised you were talking about a windows theme after i posted this

are they any good itunes alternatives for mac? i just got a mac and i want something i can customize

>What exactly is the difference between breaks and techno?
i mean, spelled it out very well in more stylistic and musical terms, but the more you listen to the genres the more easily recognizable they become. it's just familiarity for more people, but honestly i don't see how it's hard to tell the difference between something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=GgDrr9fNA6U
(breaks)

and this

youtube.com/watch?v=hFaKnEHFT3w
(techno)

seeing as the op is autechre, here's another example: it's like comparing tri repetae (techno based album) with hard normal daddy (breaks based album). the biggest clue is obviously the percussive element.

Endgame - Flesh
Really liking it definitely recommend

youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8A7d1UkPk

Thanks guys

here. It's a theme that uses columns ui.

Copied from the original thread on le reddit.

Download
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60722974/foobar2000-gk-1.1.zip
marc2003's helper codes github.com/19379/js-marc2003

REQUIREMENTS
ColumnUI - foo_ui_columns
ESPlaylist - foo_uie_esplaylist
Jscript Panel - foo_jscript_panel
Lyric Show 3 - foo_uie_lyrics3
Panel Stack Splitter - foo_uie_panel_splitter
Channel Spektrum Panel - foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum
UIHacks - foo_ui_hacks

HOW TO INSTALL
1- place the images on %fb2k_profile_path%/images
2- place js_marc2003 on %fb2k_profile_path%
3- use import fcl on column ui settings.
4- use foo_ui_hacks options to get rid of actual titlebar.

foil deer was so fucking bad

thanks for the script, i'll try to use some of it.