/jazz/

General jazz thread.

I'm just getting into jazz so give me all your best recs, opinions, flow charts or whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v4CQPBRbnXs
youtube.com/watch?v=yke9KZpH5vU&ab_channel=nickwreiter
youtube.com/watch?v=6E3WyWiWnUM
youtube.com/watch?v=9sCY987VPsI
youtube.com/watch?v=06ruNOL6ZRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TKd_f2QBpvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iaMyI--Irec
youtube.com/watch?v=hvpOeH_gq2E
youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-ml6VGA_I
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtube.com/watch?v=7fXasQidkN0
youtube.com/watch?v=2jdbX-8sSbo
youtube.com/watch?v=s1jmNI0L1_o
youtube.com/watch?v=SUj5EX4b5Ig
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RIP Connie Crothers

Never heard of her. Is that her best album?

Yeah it's a good one, she was at her best doing solo piano imo , there's a couple of pieces on this album where she plays solo. Any of her solo piano albums are a great listen .

Been trying to learn this piece.

youtube.com/watch?v=v4CQPBRbnXs

I've got it learn all the way to 0:53

I have to buy the rest of the music to learn the rest.

>Got it learned.**

Barché Lamsel from the Charles Lloyd/Bill Frisell collab is probably the single best 2016 Jazz piece I've heard so far but Henri Texier's Sky Dancers is still my Jazz AOTY. Any more 2016 stuff i should know about?

>nice quads

That's a good first step. You could do yourself a really big favor by learning the chords and trying to figure out the rest by ear. When I first started out, I dug out a used composition notebook and scribbled rough transcriptions on the empty pages. A lot of it was learned by ear, and even though I didn't learn complete songs, it helped so much.

If you've already found a few albums you love, go and download the Real Book and search for as many titles that you recognize.

Also, learn all the heads of your favorite songs by ear. It's actually a fun challenge.

After a while, find a teacher and/or join a beginner-friendly jazz group.

I think it's great that you're getting into jazz. Hope it brings you to a nice community like it did for me and a ton of other people I know.

Michael Formanek

>that guy who posts a youtube link to a track from a videogame or anime soundtrack and asks what genre of jazz it is

bump

/blindfold/

what is the fastest anyone's ever played jazz

I love all styles of jazz, but man the one I can't stand is free form.

Literally just
>Play anything real fast and hope it sticks

youtube.com/watch?v=yke9KZpH5vU&ab_channel=nickwreiter
Fastest thing I know that still has pretty coherent rhythm.

Best Blue Note albums not on this chart?

Blue Funk is a great compilation

Pleb here, what are some albums that are influenced by Bitches Brew?

I missed last week but I don't really like Chris Potter anyway. What is this week's theme?

Classical pieces I think. I haven't started listening yet tho.

Great chart

Oh my God, that poor pianist is struggling so much.

One of the best jazz albums of all time right here. Also this album was produced by FlyLo. RIP Austin

youtube.com/watch?v=6E3WyWiWnUM

>sidewinder is pop jazz
n-no wonder i like it so much

Check out Sextant by Herbie Hancock, you won't be disappointed

You just suck at listening m8

Jazz God coming through.

Step back Charlie Parke.

I think that's more a reference to the unusal level of popularity it got for a hard bop record. It was just a good hard bop record and wasn't really trying to pander to the mainstream or anything, it just happened to catch a lot of people's attention and sold a butt-load.

have this

What genre of Jazz is this?
youtube.com/watch?v=9sCY987VPsI

jtg pls

damn

What genre of Jazz is this?
youtube.com/watch?v=06ruNOL6ZRQ

its a good song though. I just want to know the genre. That shit is nuts

how to spot a pleb since 1960

youtube.com/watch?v=TKd_f2QBpvQ

Serious contender for the greatest jazz album ever made

youtube.com/watch?v=iaMyI--Irec

I would probably call that post-bop, but there's no point in trying to categorize it. This is something similar you might enjoy

What's some more stuff like Albert Ayler and Kaoru Abe?

Evan Parker, Peter Brotzmann

youtube.com/watch?v=hvpOeH_gq2E
youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-ml6VGA_I
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtube.com/watch?v=7fXasQidkN0
youtube.com/watch?v=2jdbX-8sSbo
youtube.com/watch?v=s1jmNI0L1_o

maybe Art Tatum?

Didn't know this existed. Cool.

nice, man. nice.

It didn't until today

Sidewinder is an incredible album. There are much poppier albums then that, that's a horrible way of describing it.

Got a mint LP of The Great Concert Of Charles Mingus (france import) earlier. Incredible album.

some of the names are wrong on the bebop ones

Oh here is the finished one

>listening to some modal jazz
>it's actually post-bop

Not my tup of tea but I really respect you for making charts outside of the usual classics circle jerk. Could always use more diversity on Sup Forums

I'd be surprised if you couldn't find at least one or two on there that you'd enjoy

>listening to some post-bop
>it's actually ragtime

>listening to some avant-garde free dixieland
>it's actually the sound of me fingerblasting your mom

am I the only one who can't bring themselves to listen to a jazz album when the artist looks likes a fucking nerd?

youtube.com/watch?v=SUj5EX4b5Ig

even if they're not on the cover? you have to look up a picture of the artist before you can listen to them? that sounds like psycho shit to me.

What statements about jazz make you immediately disregard someone's opinion?

>All free jazz is terrible
>Free jazz is the best kind

>jazz is good

I'll try some. just for you. I usually roll my eyes at modern jazz albums but never listen.to them.

What do you think of the CTI label? The have alot of interesting cool/smooth jazz that border on psychedelia/fusion at times.Do you like any albums from them?

kek anybody remember GG?

pls i need both of these in my life

Anybody given this a listen? I'm curious to hear what others think about this kid. He's technically good, but I don't think I like it myself

Well Red Clay is great and so are Jobim's CTI albums and Joe Farrell has some good ones. I'm sure I've heard some other good ones but those are what come to mind.

facepalm

bump

>produced by FlyLo
makes me not want to listen to it desu

listened to a little bit of that link anyway and it wasn't very good but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Larry Young- Unity or Andrew Hill- Black Fire