Anco General

Let's talk about these fuckers. Anyone see them live recently? I'm pissed I caught them before they started doing this new rendition of Kids on Holiday.
youtube.com/watch?v=EGAIRmXJltA

Also, for those who weren't aware, you should listen to Live at the Ritz, and maybe toss it some money. It goes towards a good cause, not to mention it's fucking incredible.
anmlcollectve.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-ritz-april-13-2016
Every single Painting With song is better than on record, with some extended intros and putrid that totally bring the individual songs to life, while also tying them together in a way they were not on the album. It's really beautiful stuff. Really great performances of Daily Routine and Alvin Row as well, both made me cry when I saw them played live.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y4exDHCjnK4
youtube.com/watch?v=ttOUoijT-xk
youtube.com/watch?v=k2_T-EzZavY
youtube.com/watch?v=Efa8HZW66Fk
youtube.com/watch?v=vtY5oi-K1Hs
youtube.com/watch?v=1fTs8FsO_ww
youtube.com/watch?v=JRTCb_oHPj0
youtube.com/watch?v=HPNlWcA_G4E
youtube.com/watch?v=4uZIbombsnU
youtube.com/watch?v=LW2OzTwv35o
youtube.com/watch?v=PoaFePSyytQ
youtube.com/watch?v=orR8uHBYaMk
youtube.com/watch?v=oblEdlJ9hPg
youtube.com/watch?v=UTbd0Ncsyus
youtube.com/watch?v=BtA8Sz1oz1I
youtube.com/watch?v=Ag46uuZoqH8
youtube.com/watch?v=BmIgqpcItdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3_b6kBDOArQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_4fan5d_qmY
youtube.com/watch?v=a5ojtx7bR0A
youtube.com/watch?v=KiSwGbv4QUg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*outros, not putrid, kek

that Kids on Holiday is amazing

I know, right? Panda bear coming in towards the end with the echo-y
>kids on HOLIDAY HOLIDAY HOLIDAY HOLIDAY
gives me chills

Seeing Deakin live this weekend can't wait senpai

Has anyone listened to terrestrial tones before? Sounds really spooky. Im liking dead drunk alot.

You lucky bastard, I didn't even know he was touring. That's awesome though, Sleep Cycle is a really soothing album for me. Dude didn't just come out of his shell, he burst out of it.
Is it more comparable to Anco or black dice?

Black dice for sure.

already hooked by this first song. thanks for the rec, didn't even know this was a thing.

Terrestrial Tones is cool. If you enjoy that check out Aveys Crumbling Land, Wastered by anCo and Pandas side project Jane.

Also Tranverse Temporal Gyrus is severely underdiscussed.

seeing them in october. hoping they play loch raven more than anything else and i think they've been playing it at a ton of their recent shows. i just really want loch raven.

the way loch raven began was one of the most jaw dropping moments of the show

loch raven was probably the highlight besides Floridada when i saw them in may

Going to see them in November. It would be cool to see Loch Raven played but I really wish some HCTI stuff would make its way in but thats highly unlikely. A new rendition of Slippi with Painting Withs instrumentation could be hella dope.

of all the songs, slippi would be best suited for it. maybe hey light. yeah, that would be super awesome, I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely either. If you asked me before my show if I ever in a million years thought that they would play Alvin Row, i would have given a definitive no. I learned my lesson.

Feel free to post cute pandas

>Aveys Crumbling Land
and i thought i knew it all.

still haven't seen them live, hoping they tour near me again soon. is it hard to get tickets for them?

do you think they'll ever come to sweden

No, it pretty easy if you're close to a semi big city. I'm gonna see them in Eugene and the ticket was only 25 bucks

What do you guys think of ODDSAC as a listening experience detached from it's visuals? Besides the more song-y songs, how does stuff like Urban Creme or Fried Camp hold up?

I don't like it as a full album without visuals. As you said, there are more song-y songs that can be enjoyed individually (mr fingers and tantrum barb are some of my favorite songs of theirs), but the more sound collage-y stuff is just so clearly meant to accompany the film. Animal Collective have made ambient, noisy music that I love, but the visuals and sounds of Oddsac are so interwoven with one another, I feel like I'm doing it, as a work of art, a disservice by detaching them. If it were just meant to be an album, they'd have released it that way.

There are parts of ODDSAC where I feel like the music came first, almost like a music video ot something. It's not even just the 'songs' like Tantrum Barb, this even applies to parts like Green Beans and Urban Creme (which I love just for the music, it's like Geo's solo ambient songs he's done here and there), but of course there's stuff made just to accopmany the visuals. Satin Orb Wash is one that stands out.

youtube.com/watch?v=y4exDHCjnK4
this version of Taste is fucking incredible
sounds like if Loch Raven and Taste had a baby

wow thank you

post more live versions

youtube.com/watch?v=ttOUoijT-xk
i love the floating dreamy sense you get from this slowed down version of Chocolate Girl

youtube.com/watch?v=k2_T-EzZavY

Not live, but still great.

youtube.com/watch?v=Efa8HZW66Fk
oh and this version of Taste is also amazing. I love how Geo's just hanging out in a shopping cart

There are a lot of interesting things that are unreleased or not well known done by Animal Collective. Immediately these come to my mind:

Automine - Paddington Band
Avey Tare/David Grubbs - Crumbling Land/New Horizon
Avey Tare & Kria Brekkan - Pullhair Rubeye
Panda Bear & Scott Mou (Jane) - Berserker (and others)
Terrestrial Tones (Avey and Eric Copeland)
The Wastered split with Black Dice
Transverse Temporal Gyrus
KEEP EP
ODDSAC

None of these really count as unreleased but they're lesser known projects generally.

I can kinda see both sides, but I think the ambience can stand on its own without the film. I remember listening to Urban Creme one night tripping on acid and it just filling my mind with visuals of "skunkamaroos" running through underground sewer passages, climbing out of drains and up city walls and whatnot. ODDSAC is sincerely one of the best things they've ever recorded in my opinion.

I was always partial to the Prospect Park version they performed in 2011 for the Centipede HZ tour. This is nice too though.

>Oddsac
>acid
>at night
You're a braver man than myself, user

Did they release(or unrelease) anything else like Happy Singing Band

Listening to Alvin Band for the first time right now and holy shit was Sup Forums right, this sounds so much like Anco. Any fans here?

I want to like them but that album about video games is too fucking corny

I literally had to beg my two friends to watch it while we tripped another time, they kept saying it would be too scary. Nah bro, it's off putting at the Fried Camp part kinda but the rest is super fucking trippy. I loved it. So many faces in the flames, just soooo much that I'd never noticed sober. The static on Urban Creme turned into a pool filled with thousands of people swimming and then into a mass grave of skeletons and a bunch of other shit. So nuts.

Alvin Band is OK, I prefer YAWN.

YAWN and New House sound way more like Animal Collective.

YAWN - Kind of Guy
youtube.com/watch?v=vtY5oi-K1Hs

YAWN - Acid
youtube.com/watch?v=1fTs8FsO_ww

New House - Burning Ship Fractal Sampler
youtube.com/watch?v=JRTCb_oHPj0

this
berserker and wastered are A+

this is a totally subjective thing but this sounds like animal collective with all the soul sucked out to me. i don't know why but this makes me very uncomfortable.

It essentially is. You can tell they're trying to emulate Animal Collective. YAWN has some good tunes honestly, but they aren't anywhere near as good as Animal Collective.

yeah, listening to some more yawn, some other songs seem a bit better

say what you might about painting with or their new direction but this tour they're on is fucking great. saw them in tulsa and it was incredible, they did a disco-y loch raven and this is the first tour they've ever played alvin row on.

They did the same thing with centipede hz, where the live versions of songs were so much better than their studio counterparts for some reason.

Do you guys know where I can watch ODDSAC? All the download links I've found were audio-only, and the youtube uploads were really low quality video.

Just buy it man, not that expensive and the dvd comes with an awesome art book

I wonder if they're going to release these live albums in physical form as well.

I got the Live at 9:30 vinyl, one of my favorite live albums, the live version of What Would I Want? Sky is fucking excellent.

It's going to be low quality no matter what
it's not on blu-ray

it actually is live, from one of his sets in 2007. Great early version of daily routine in there too:
youtube.com/watch?v=HPNlWcA_G4E

I kind of have this autistic thing where I sort of like to "collect" different live versions of daily routine since its one of my favorite songs by him and there are so many good variations//

youtube.com/watch?v=4uZIbombsnU

youtube.com/watch?v=LW2OzTwv35o

youtube.com/watch?v=PoaFePSyytQ

youtube.com/watch?v=orR8uHBYaMk

wow

I just feel sad knowing that we're never going to get something as exciting and interesting and surprising as ODDSAC ever again. Everything used to feel so fresh and adventurous with Animal Collective. They'd always find ways to introduce you to something new in a way you didn't expect and everything just felt so integrated. There was also a feeling that we were discovering something new at the same time the band themselves were, so it felt like there was this mutual sense of discovery there. Now it feels completely different, like they're just giving us new music because they're supposed to. I know now I'm going to get tons of people defending Painting With or whatever, but I just wanted to share that I feel this way. I really feel like something's been lost that we're never going to get back. Maybe a decent-at-best record every four years or so will quench your desires, but I feel sad that we've lost that.

nostalgia much?

Feeeelin like a werewolf

Way to discount the fact that Animal Collective have totally lost something that was crucial to their sound as nostalgia because you're too sad to face how far they've fallen. I'm sad too, but at least I can acknowledge it.

These AnCo threads probably aren't good for me. It's like if a relative dies and you're trying to mourn them and everyone else is in complete denial acting like they're still alive so you can't even connect on the fact that something has been lost.

It's kind of like if your grandpa dies. Like, yeah, you'll be nostalgic for when he was still alive.

You know that's such a fucking low thing of you to say. You're saying that my problem isn't the actual content but the time in which it was made, like if Animal Collective kept one-upping themselves throughout the 2010's (if you think this is the case then, sorry, you're a fucking idiot and yeah it's subjective but whatever fuck you) I'd be denying its quality. If Animal Collective put out another record that amazes me like all of their 2000's records, I'll give it the praise it deserves - fuck, I thought Sleep Cycle was a damn good record, probably the best AC-related release since ODDSAC. Until then, I'm just a sad fan.

So, the fact that I think the first two Mercury Rev records are the best is just purely nostalgia, nothing more. Fuck you.

great version of the purple bottle on that one too

You post this shit in every thread, how you think anyone disagreeing with you is in denial. No, their newer albums aren't great or as innovative as their old stuff, but it's not shit either and it's not being made because they're obligated to.

You don't think how you experience music and relate to it has anything to do with the point in your life when you listen to it? Anyone reasonable will agree that their 2000's stuff was much better, but you are putting it on such an incredibly biased (nostalgic) pedestal and complaining how their new albums aren't doing the same thing.
I don't want to attack your taste, but Sleep Cycle is basically rehashing what AnCo did from 2004-2009. Where is the 'sense of discovery' with that? Avey and Panda are at least moving forward, even if it's much slower than before.
No, the first two Mercury Rev albums are actually GOAT and everything after is sort of boring in comparison. But Animal Collective is not Mercury Rev and I didn't say that you weren't allowed to like their earlier albums.

Saw them in may at 9:30. Damn good show, loch raven was fucking amazing

Also, thanks for the bandcamp link OP. Love these recordings

I'm seeing them in November
hyped as fucked

I love AnCo generals theyre comfy as fuck

Love you guys, sorry i cant talk right now

I really wanted to see them for the recent tour, until I realized they'd only be playing songs off the new album.

What's the consensus on Centipede Hz? I used to hate it, then I liked it, then I did acid and listened to it and I CANT STOP LISTENING TO IT

youtube.com/watch?v=oblEdlJ9hPg

You should see them if you can, they already have Alvin Row, Bees, and Loch Raven to play and their next branch is apparently adding Kids on Holiday and almost definitely some more.

Centipede Hz never really grabs me. I can listen to it and enjoy it, but I never really find myself drawn to it, even though some of the songs are actually really good. It doesn't really offer anything that their other albums don't. I'd rather listen to Slasher Flicks or Live at 9:30, actually.

Don't worry user, I feel the same exact way. I get pretty bummed out knowing I'll never get an AnCo record to be excited about with everyone else.

CHz has a special place in my heart, just like all their other albums

It seems like the test to see if people are true ac fans or not. its not perfect, but I pity those who can't see the beauty in it.

I especially like panda bears contributions, the two songs sound way different than anything else hes done.

the last part of Amanita always gets me too

I really like Centipede Hz.

Centipede Hz is my second fav of theirs desu
It's great

i love CHz, avoided it for a while due to it's bad reputation, but once i listened to it i thought it was pretty great

youtube.com/watch?v=UTbd0Ncsyus

So I just stumbled upon this video for the first time in my life, should I relisten to Sung Tongs with this horrific bad drug trip theme in mind // how was that album for you guys? In terms of emotions

This version of Taste live during the Centipede Hz era is also very dope.
youtube.com/watch?v=BtA8Sz1oz1I

Some other cool live stuff:

Sponge Luke- youtube.com/watch?v=Ag46uuZoqH8

This starlight ballroom show is amazing, essential SJ era tracks and Feels tracks being played Really cool versions of safer, fireworks, banshee beat, the purple Bottle, even kids on holiday, before SJ came out. youtube.com/watch?v=BmIgqpcItdQ

Crimson: youtube.com/watch?v=3_b6kBDOArQ

These are sick acoustic versions of Wide Eyed and Pulleys: youtube.com/watch?v=_4fan5d_qmY
youtube.com/watch?v=a5ojtx7bR0A

and who could forget: youtube.com/watch?v=KiSwGbv4QUg

I saw them in LA ealier this year, Loch Raven was so amazing

Was at the LA Shows.

Can confirm. Was amazing.

>In the summer of 2000, the four friends spent several months at Portner's apartment in downtown New York City intensely playing music together using antiquated synthesizers, acoustic guitars, and household objects. According to Lennox, in this summer the basis for all later Animal Collective's music was created: However, all recordings of this period were stolen when Portner changed apartments and packed up the car the night before he moved.
>tfw there is unreleased early anco out there that we will never hear

You're right about the live versions of Painting With but for some of them I don't like either version. Lying in the Grass becomes fucking amazing, though. Thanks for sharing!