/classical/

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Crudblud stuff
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tIQWjSIsDf8?t=9737
youtube.com/watch?v=bzPI5z1cYvc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_transformation
youtube.com/watch?v=vSdsoN1pF7E
youtube.com/watch?v=JGbXxUtuvLE
youtube.com/watch?v=774Ajdk00jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ORvvsRawgDo
youtube.com/watch?v=GFb8ahrrwyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bumpin with my favorite bit of Gounod

youtu.be/tIQWjSIsDf8?t=9737

>no edition edition
Terrible.
Anyways what've you been reading /classical/?

GRAVITYS MEMEBO
course it's good

'The Art of Conducting' . Basically a collection of essays/letter by composers from Berlioz onwards.

Also have a copy of Barneboim's memoirs which were so rubbish that I ended up accumulating a £20 fine from the uni library because I forgot to return the book

Hey, what’s with classical music on the radio? When are they gonna stop that? I mean does anybody still listen? No? Get rid of it! I mean can we agree on that? When’s that from? I mean, there’s oldies and then there’s OLDIES!

memes

The score to this
youtube.com/watch?v=bzPI5z1cYvc

tbf aside from that cringey comment at the end, he's right about Rach composing in completely different style than the aforementioned

(even if all of them are indeed better than him)

the last comment isn't cringy actually it's right

Radio 3 is unironically the best radio station in existence (except when they invite memesters onto Private Passions who then exhibit the fact that they only listen to classical music for prestige and say nothing of interest about it).

And just realised you didn't specify a classical-related book, so in that case, Thus Spake Zarathustra because I've spent this summer 'doing' Wagner properly for the first time and I felt that rereading Nietzsche would make a good companion piece to this

Reading the LoA collection of Ashbery's poetry.

style is not genre.
Beethoven, Brahms, Liszt, Grieg, and even Tchaikovsky all shit on Rach in the genre, but they were not his contemporaries.

If you think it's valid to compare Serialism to Medieval chant on even terms then you're mentally retarded

mozart is gay lol

Romanticism isn't a genre, but a period and/or style. A genre would be something like symphony or string quartet.

I've been thinking about /classical/'s hatred of Rach recently. On the one hand, I had a relisten to his orchestral pieces and getting extremely pissed off that he keeps using the fucking dies irae chant in almost every single one of his big orchestral compositions. The Bells is probably the best at dealing with death, and it's actually not bad.

(Mahler is regarded as obsessed with death, and he managed to do this without recourse to the same meme-y tunes.)

And then onto the piano concerti, where Rach is seen as the last great romantic piano concerto composer. There are nice melodies but he doesn't do much with them. I can't remember which movement (I think it's 1 or 3) in the 2nd concerto, but it ends with a theme that doesn't feature anywhere else in the movement, it's just conjured out of nowhere and given no development. Compare it to something like Liszt's 1st concerto where he uses 2 basic motifs and builds everything else out of that, giving the work an incredible consistency, Rach is just a bit hollow. And then listen to Prokofiev's 2nd concerto, where he is more virtuosic (the cadence in the first movement is diabolically difficult) and then the 'lullaby' theme in the final movement, where he out-romantics Rach.

But even after all of this, I listen to the All-Night Vigil and I have to regard it as one of the finest a cappella listening experiences. Maybe it's because it's a less saturated market (compared to the romantic piano concerto, to which Rach added very little) but the Vigil does feel like the work of an exceptional composer in relation to a lot of the rest of his oeuvre

rambling stemming from bottle of wine I've just finished, but ey

No one said that but there's plenty of motivation to compare modernist techniques with e.g. the highly chromatic music of Gesualdo (though he's renaissance, but IIRC there are some medieval composers who are particularly chromatic as well)

Bruckner is a better composer than Mahler

All-Night Vigil seems to be accepted even within Rach-haters. It's pretty good.

But reflecting on I'm leaning towards thinking that Rach didn't really do anything that Tchaikovsky hadn't already done (and often had done better).

And yeah this is all memes. All that Rach's concerti have going for them are pretty tunes

HEY GUYS YOU KNOW THAT THING BEETHOVEN DID WITH CONTRAPUNTAL DEVELOPMENT OF ONE REALLY AWFUL MINUTE THEME? I'LL DO THAT, EXCEPT WITH A BIGGER ORCHESTRA, MORE REPETITION, LESS INVENTION AND FOR A LONGER PERIOD OF TIME

you ok

>Also have a copy of Barneboim's memoirs which were so rubbish that I ended up accumulating a £20 fine from the uni library because I forgot to return the book
what was so bad about it

The problem with the all-night vigil is that it is highly comparable to the sacred concerti of Bortniansky, who managed to outdo Rach a century earlier.

Better than Mahler desu. Mahler gives me a headache

>it's just conjured out of nowhere and given no development
Would you mind expanding on this? What do you mean when you say "development"

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if they were even sold as memoirs, more Barenboim's rambling pseudo-philosophy on why 'music is really important man'.

I read Solti's memoirs the week before and they were pretty fascinating (vindicating /classical/'s Mozart memes by him claiming that Mozart is the most compelling evidence that makes him believe in a higher being) but Barenboim just rambled about music in abstract for a while without saying anything that suggested he was basing his ramblings on anything other than his own opinions

Do you know what motivic or thematic development is?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_transformation

I don't have 30 mins to relisten to the whole concerto to point out the exact moment, but from what I can remember upon a last listen, the end of the 1st movement concludes with a theme that just appears out of nowhere and is used for the last ~30 bars. It just seems like Rachmaninoff thought that he needed a nice tune to round of the movement and wrote it out without thinking about any sort of structure. He could have done something with the opening theme (which is p. good) or one of the others he had introduced and given the movement a sense of symmetry, but instead this half-baked melody seems to appear hastily to provide a means of ending the movement.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to find recordings/highlight the selected bit in the score for a bit more clarity, since it's something that always bothers me when I hear the piece performed

>self-taught
>combined impressionism and expressionism into one form
>between tides, requiem for string, summer sister etc
>had arguably the greatest use of suspense in his music
>wierdest texturing in his composotions that always somehow work
>ghost story, what you call time flows through me etc

This man is so based

Nope complete compositional scrub

>tfw you're not sure if you're actually morphing into a heldentenor because you're a baritone whose range has been increasing by about a tone per year over the last four years or because you heard a recording of Melchior and want to force yourself by force of will to change your fach

>tfw if you cropped out the chest hair Melchior could probably pass as a burly woman in this picture

Nah, you only like him because he isn't white.

Asians don't count for that.

rec some Messaien, and similar composers please!

The Bible. Music related I've been listening to some of Bernstein's music lectures.

There's nothing wrong with listening to classical on shuffle, movements and tempos and all.

>and tempos

>on shuffle,

nice trigger

not wrong

but it takes a certain approach and attitude to not be plebby

/classical/ I need your help creating a Brahms top 5. I need suggestions on what I should pick.

Currently considering:
Piano Concerto No.2 Op.83
Violin Concerto in D major Op.77
6 Klavierstücke, Op. 118
Symphony No.4
Ein deutsches Requiem
Hungarian Dances
Johannes Brahms: Piano Trio Op.87

petzold

Why does it need to be a top five? If you have seven pieces you think are his best, just make it a top 7.

What would a modern liszt sound like?

doo doo

>songs
Where the fuck do you think you are?

Hey /class/, long-time lurker here.

I was wondering if any of you guys are vinyl collectors, and if so, where do you usually buy records from - local shops, discogs, craigslist, etc.? I usually go with my local shop for other stuff (jazz, soundtracks, electronic), although as far as classical most shops around me only have Tchai, Beeth, Moz, and fucking twenty copes of Switched On Bach, so I've been thinking of checking out CL.

I'm making a playlist for a few friends interested in getting into classical music. Its a collection of 50 pieces, 10 composers, and 5 pieces each (50-10-5(has a nice ring to it imo)).

I'm looking for second opinions on which 5 I should add; having trouble picking myself.

I'm so sorry, it won't happen again.

goodwill

also petzold

What is petzold? Googling just brought up some programmer for Microsoft.

Who's your favorite pupil of Liszt and why isn't it Rosenthal?

He's the true mastermind behind Bach's music

hot

One of Bach's pieces is falsely attributed to him.

Should I watch the Levine/Schenk DVD of Wagner's Ring?

Currently listening to Schumann on Spotify and I have to say his music is pretty tight butthole.

cast-wise it's a bit hit-or-miss. some good voices. some mediocre ones. none are "bad" though, but i would argue that the Behrens isn't really a great Brunnhilde. decent actor, perhaps. but her vibrato is annoying and her notes are all over the place.

Siegfried Jerusalem certainly has the voice and endurance for Siegfried though, even if his croon is a bit much--he's youthful and energetic. certainly better than any of the Siegfrieds i've heard in the past 20 years.

Matti Salminen is a top 5 Hagen (i would personally put him right under Weber). Hagen is really the underpinning of the final opera, he's the one who has to hold the whole thing together.

cast aside, the production is fantastic. no silly costumes here and great traditional sets.

unfortunately Levine is a bit too plodding.

I read V and really liked it. This one is sitting on my shelf waiting for winter depression to kick in.

literally all bach enthusiasts here

might as well be called /bach/

Which of Bach's cantatas are considered his best?

In a nutshell:
106, 161, 54*, 105, 46, 77, 60, 101, 78, 125, 127, 80*, 140*, 14, 56, 187, 102, 79, 29

All of those are exceptional and don't have a single weak movement.
*: memes but still good

thanks

Found this youtube channel with plenty of obscure and unique composers and pieces you've probably never heard of.

youtube.com/watch?v=vSdsoN1pF7E

youtube.com/watch?v=JGbXxUtuvLE

>combined impressionism and expressionism into one form

No, that was done probably first by Hindemith but Takemitsu basically lifted his schtick from Messiaen. Don't get me wrong its great schtick tho

Also this guy needs to learn to read threads

>scroll through like a hundred videos having heard of ~4 people though still obscure
>suddenly sibelius out of nowhere

[Fire horns intensifies]

Classical radio stations play separate movements all the time. Nothing new.

If that were the case then Swing and Songo would be one genre too

I really like these two trios:
youtube.com/watch?v=774Ajdk00jQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ORvvsRawgDo

>Hungarian Dances

You are an idiot btw. Also

>no Piano Quintet

What the fuck are you talking about? How does what I said imply anything like that? If anything it implies that they aren't even genres, which, in this context, is the case.

New to composition here there any "standards" when it comes to composing pieces based on biblical chants? For example "The Lamentations of Jeremiah" the different renditions I can hear are mostly melancholic with an optimistic major key modulation towards the center of the piece (Tallis, Zelenka Lassus) I'm guessing it's just based off the tone of the lyrics, but otherwise is there anything most of these composers are doing in common when writing a piece based on a biblical passage?

Which should i go to boys?

Hahn

I'd go with the Beethoven.

Bump.

how do you guys beat performance anxiety?
playing my first comp this week and i'm nervous as hell

ded

God doesn't exist, so have fun wasting your time.

Daily reminder that operas are middlebrow trash and oratorios are superior in every way.

Positive self suggestion, alternatively forced mental arrogance.

Post clyp of your piece and collect some feedback beforehand.

fuck off

beta blockers retard

Montyfags BTFO

here's an example that contradicts that theory
youtube.com/watch?v=GFb8ahrrwyQ

just make sure the meaning of the text is apparent in your text setting. no weird leaps or unnatural phrasings that blur the text if that's what you're going for.

take it back.

Any good atheist early music?

could anyone recommend me some powerful and aggressive classical music

something in the line of In the hall of the mountain king?

Go listen to Schnittke's Requiem

ill give it a listen

Didn't realise how qt the CBSO's new music director is. Potential new waifu (although I'll reserve judgement until I've actually listened to her and determined if she's any good)

Also met Marin Alsop today. For some reason I thought she was European, not a Yank.

German music sux

Wagner