What's your favourite language Sup Forums? Doesn't have to be a language you understand...

What's your favourite language Sup Forums? Doesn't have to be a language you understand, just one that sounds and looks nice to you.

I really love Icelandic. I speak a bit of Swedish and I can kinda make out what some things mean and it's just a really beautiful sounding language. Plus it looks really cute and nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wuEJRSmRx0c
youtube.com/watch?v=4_FIwLoIHBY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_pitch_accent_demonstration.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6vf5O-lbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw no inbred viking gf

Attic.

Dead language, has maintained top tier status for over 2000 years

>Brazilian Portuguese

My god, when a cute girl speaks in Portuguese to me I instantly fucking cum.

polish and russian

I prefer Italy, its truly so beautiful, also such close to latin

some Afrikaans with Dutch mix

THE STATE OF

Latin and Russian

french no.1

youtube.com/watch?v=wuEJRSmRx0c

2nd for Brazilian poortugese

Français

German is my second language and I found it pretty easy to learn plus it has simple rules so that's nice.

Turkish >_>

Finnish. Even being called a perkele feels like heaven.

interesting. Why?

I like English to be honest

welsh is my top pick and latvian a close second

I like my native Slovak, also enjoy Czech, English, Slovene, because it sounds kinda like Slovak with words that mean completely different things but sound similiar, Irish because it is so unusual for an Indo-European language and kinda sounds like Simlish., also... Cantonese, I like tone languages, I think they sound interesting, don't judge me.

*to clarify the "words that sound similiar but mean completely different things" only applies to Slovene.

I understand only Slovak (obviously), Czech (also obviously) and English out of these.

French
I have to admit it sounds like gayish but when cute french girls speak french,it's super cute.
and I don't like Chinese and Doistu

British English, not posh one.

>Cantonese, I like tone languages, I think they sound interesting, don't judge me.
I also do, the concept is really fascinating. But I can't wrap my brain around learning it. Really tough stuff.

I actually really like how it sounds and it uses the Latin script but has a couple cool/unique letters like the closed I

I unironically really like Swedish. I find it beautiful

I can kinda make out what some things mean in russian

Upper Carniolan dialect of Slovene desu

Geordie

it's like watching those videos of 'talking' cats irl

Dead languages like Gothic, Etruscan, Celtic really intrigue me for some reason.

I think the best way to learn it would be to not obsess about the tonality and just learn the pronounciation as a whole (invluding the tone but not separate from it). Most native speakers of tonal lamguages (other than China where they kare taught that their language is tonal) don't even know their language is tonal, they just percieve these differences in terms of pronounciation. The "same" syllable with a high and a low tone, for example, is not the same syllable for them any more than bo is the same syllable as po to me even through only difference between b and p is voicing. Don't think "one word pronounced with different tones means different thing!", think "these are multiple separate words pronounced differently" I have never learned a tone language but seen this tip from many learners of them on the internet.

I speak a language with a case system (another "scary" thing to English and Romance language natives) and I think many make the mistake "OMG, you got to learn 6 different words for every word!". Well, you don't. Think of them as "tails" of the numbers, little endings that you modify the words with. For example I am bothered by how duolingo treats every new Russisn declension is a "new word". Don't learn by heart, stop thinking in prepositions and instead learn the pattern. There is method in that madness.

*"tails" of the words.

Hi, is there a /slav/ thread ongoing atm?

Of course

I like ugro-finnic languages

Latin.

I love the way it sounds (Class Lat at least), its succinctness and its simple, welcoming spelling.

>2nd for Brazilian poortugese
Until you learn it, then most dialects outside the one you speak will sound broken and retarded.

Russian sounds beautiful.

>mfw caipira r
>mfw paulistas don't use a guttural r on words with rr, r in the beginning of a word or in the end of a syllable

Samoan

Caipira/retroflex R is OK for me. Far better than the Baiano/velar R.

They're all shit. Especially arabic and french.

I quite like Arabic, but I agree French is overrated as fuck. It's actually kind of grating to listen to.

Latvian

I believe you're right - I have just dabbled into practicing tone once with a Chinese speaker for fun, and failed royally.
If I wanted to learn the language I would make some vocabulary flashcards and learn to mimic the speaker, learning with examples and forgetting about tones.

In my Japanese studies I notice some words also have "tones" (actually longer/shorter vowels), but I don't care that much about learning them accurately. I will learn "koushou" 交渉 and "koshou" 胡椒 as if they were kinda the same word and, when context arises, I hear how they are pronounced differently by a native and it gets easier to make a distinction.

Trying to learn to self-evaluate before you even have enough knowledge in the language is the worst route from what I find learning different languages. It's better to absorb a lot of half-assed knowledge and polish as you go.

Both the case system, the kanjis and tones make me think too much meta-discussion of languages can be a problem. Every language wants to be special and hard to learn, "look how unique is this sound in my language, nobody is able to produce it!", drawing a lot of attention to the obstacles and making people forget about how learning really works.

Portuguese has nasal vowels, noun genders and verb conjugation as our ULTRA HARD FEATURES TM DO NOT STEAL, but just like cases, you start to "get it" after some exposure.

Faroese

>you will never hear verð mín from a qt fjordgirl
youtube.com/watch?v=4_FIwLoIHBY
Why live?

what is the difference between Faroese and Islanska? Faroese uses o I noticed but other than that it seems identical

>Portuguese has nasal vowels, noun genders and verb conjugation as our ULTRA HARD FEATURES TM DO NOT STEAL

Naw, it's the personal infinitives, the subjunctive, and the what-the-fuck future tense.

>What's your favourite language Sup Forums?
yourmumian

wtf you can't type the Norwegian ö??

Actually, vowel length is unrelated to tone. Portuguese for example has vowel length - but it's tied to the stress, so not meaningful to set words apart*. The trick in your case is "unlearning" how to tie stress and length.

*easy to note if you record yourself pronouncing "papa" - the first Sup Forums is 2-6 times longer than the second one depending on dialect.

He can't type the Danish/Faroese o. Nobody can on fourchan.

>being this assmad just because you speak perhaps the worst language in the history

>Naw, it's the personal infinitives, the subjunctive, and the what-the-fuck future tense.
Not him, but those are usually counted as "verb conjugations".

(What's so "WTF" about the future tense, though?)

Russian is my favourite, and Ukrainian is second closely.

I have no idea what velar r means, but you are probably a Paulista yourself (or maybe the separautist from Curitiba, who knows) and clearly have shit taste on 'r's, much like the two qts that were near me on the underground

Oh, you're right. The tone (pitch accent) in Japanese occurs in words with the SAME reading:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_pitch_accent_demonstration.ogg
But to my ears it's kinda like the difference between long and short vowels, at least I'm learning both in an intuitive way instead of freaking about about their distinction.

russian

Faroese is much softer. For instance there's no /þ/ sound and /ð/ is very rare (most of the time ð is read as /j/, /w/ or is silent, sometimes it's Sup Forums or /d/). Í is read as /ʊi/ and á is /ɔa/. R can be rolled or not or it can be /ʐ/ (hard z). Lt is ɬ (like Welsh ll).
youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6vf5O-lbE

I meant the enclitic thing, "cantar-te-ia" and such.

This is useless, no one uses it. It's called "mesóclise", and our president eventually talks that way. But he's the only one though, never heard anyone else speaking that way. Too formal.

Polish
and hebrew

I want to interdimensionally merge with Björk

>For instance there's no /þ/ sound and /ð/ is very rare

I'd say [ð] is much softer than [d], same for the voiceless dental (I'm not googling the IPA symbol to paste here lel) and [t], at least in most cases.

I forgot the IPA symbol is not þ, sorry.

/ð/ is more common to be replaced with /j/, /w/ or Sup Forums, or nothing. All these are softer than /ð/.
Maybe Faroese isn't softer but idk how to call it. Smoother?
Anyways, both sound great, I just like Faroese a little more.