Post some fun fact about your language. Finnish officially contains the longest palindromic word

Post some fun fact about your language. Finnish officially contains the longest palindromic word.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jespersen's_Cycle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal#Use
youtube.com/watch?v=zapTF7g6BWk
youtube.com/watch?v=UzDS2WyemBI
youtube.com/watch?v=YUUt1YMO7zE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fact: English is the most powerful language in the world.

Fact , luxembourgish will become the worlds most spoken language in the next 2 years

Post it

Et est ait ais ai aient and é all sound the same
Aux au haut hauts and ô all sound the same

English is a fucking rubbish conglomerate of other languages that has no rules

There's your fact.

90% of native portuguese speakers are brazilian

I forgot haie and haies

saippuakivikauppias

not so long

Tagalog vocabulary is only 30% derived from proto-Malay, 40% is from Spanish, and the remaining 30% is from English.

that wasn't very fun

KEK
U
C
K

The plural of octopus is octopuses, not octopi which many people think

I'm sorry Finnabro.

The first written literature in Spain was actually in Galician-Portuguese, a language wich was the grandaddy of Galician and Portuguese (duh)

Italian is mostly an artifical language built up for centuries on tuscanian dialect, specifically the one spoken in florence.
There are more than 20 dialects in italy and all are considered full fledged languages with their own rules and sometimes even literature.

Why would it be octopi? Where would it come from?

What I never get with English is why resort to Greek and Latin in such a simple things like math and geometry. It's really not needed. Why don't you guys just say fourangle, fiveangle, sixangle etc.

i am a jute and we contributed the word "vixen" to the english language

because muh classics

lead leader
lead heavy element
lead sheep

My mother language is actually called Castilian not Spanish

Because our forebearers in England had an obsession with the purity of Latin.

Also an inferiority complex towards Greek and French.

I still think we have the most based Germanic language though, Dutch sounds like ass and German is autistic and boring. English has plenty of splashes of variety from Greek, Latin, and French which we anglisized, with a fair amount of Old English and Middle English thrown in with the classic Germanic sentence structure but with relaxed rules allowing flexibility in sentence structure. This combined with the biggest vocabulary in the world for any major language makes English really good for literature, poetry, music lyrics and media in general.

The names of the days in Portuguese are numbered, based on the liturgical calendar because some random bishop of Lisbon thought it wasn't right to a Christian to pay homage to pagan gods.

In portuguese there's no direct word for cuck but there's a word for someone that's been cucked.

>Cabrão

In Estonian aswell, but only for the first 4:

Monday = esmaspäev = first day
Tuesday = teisipäev = second day
Wednesday = kolmapäev = third day
Thursday = neljapäev = fourth day
Friday = reede - cognate to English "friday", through either Middle Low German "vridach" or Old Swedish "frēdagher", "frēadagher", "frīadagher"
Saturday = laupäev - a loan from Proto-Norse, compare Swedish "lördag"
Sunday = pühapäev - "holy day", or "holiday day"

Afaik Latvian and Lithuanian do this for all the days (not for Sunday I think, but not sure)

We too lack the verb. The substantive for cuckold is
>aisankannattaja

sarvi kandma = to be a cuckold (lit. "to wield horns")
sarvekandja = cuckold (lit. "hornwielder")

"aisankannataja" sounds like "aisakannataja", which means "shaft sufferer"

BRs use corno (horn), chifrudo (with big/many horns) instead of cabrão. The verb is cornear (to put horns).

No interesting facts about my language.

We use the verb "encornar" instead of "cornear".
Means the same told differently.

Aisankannattaja means "shaft holder", so it's pretty close.
Hmm. Really makes you think.

Funny, we also use the horn term for someone that has been cheated
Really activated my neurons

In French, "jamais", "aucun", "rien", "plus" and "personne" respectively both mean "always/never", "one/none", "nothing/something", "no more/more" and "someone/no one" depending on the context. Same goes, among others, for "pas. E.g.
>on avance pas
We're going forward (outdated though) / we're not going forward.

I wonder if this works all over the world

I'll tell you one that pisses me off. WHAT'S WITH THE "NE" AND "PAS"? WHY USE BOTH OF THEM WHEN ONLY ONE IS NECESSARY RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Based Sweden

some people use touro (bull) to describe a cuck but it's much less common.
Ironically it's the opposite in English where the bull is the one cucking.

To piss gaijins off

AND WHY IS 99 SAID AS 4*20+19?

Standard German has rather unique and fucked up "rules" about capitalization, punctuation, and spacing.

To really makes you think

HAHA

YOU FINGOLS THOUGHT YOU WERE THE ONLY AUTISTIC EUROPEANS !?

Fact: Tamil is the oldest surviving spoken language in the world.

Evidently some of our ancestors at some point used a base-20 numeric system, which got replaced by a decimal system for the most common numbers (i.e. the lowest ones), but which survived for everything above 59.

>Dutch sounds like ass
only when spoken by people from north of the Rhine born after WW2

It's because French in the middle of a linguistic transition.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jespersen's_Cycle

>Jespersen's Cycle (JC) is a series of processes in historical linguistics, which describe the historical development of the expression of negation in a variety of languages, from a simple pre-verbal marker of negation, through a discontinuous marker (elements both before and after the verb) and in some cases through subsequent loss of the original pre-verbal
marker.

>The process has since been described for many languages in many different families, and is particularly noticeable in languages which are currently at stage II (both the original and the additional word obligatory) such as French, Welsh, and some dialects of Arabic and Berber.

Portuguese R is a mess. Not only there are two R phonemes, but dialects disagree when you should use one or other, and both have multiple local allophones. It's a somewhat reliable way to tell where a person is from.

Portuguese not only has nasal vowels (like French, Polish and Cherokee) but nasal diphthongs (spelled ão, ãe, õe). They're a pain in the ass for non-native speakers.

There are two "to be" verbs - one for intrinsic qualities (ser) and another for state (estar).

Portuguese and Spanish are close enough to be mixed, and there are some "portuñol" dialects like that. (But NO, GALICIAN IS NOT ONE OF THEM.)

I kinda like lues, martes, mércores, joves and vernes. A shame those fell into disuse.

It comes from nec [verb] passum = "not even a step of this" (not at all). Small particles as "ne" are prone to reinforcement, people do this kind of thing in all langs - except in French it was grammaticalized.

If i'm not wrong in Danish "50" is literally (2+0,5)*20

Also, French isn't at all the only language with a vigesimal system. Obviously decimal is way more common (10 fingers, after all), but I guess some people wanted to be hipsters and counted both their fingers and their toes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal#Use

numbers are usually adverbs, not adjectives in Japanese.

it means,
instead of "I ate three apples",
we say "I ate apple threely"

In German, a girl is neutral while a door is female.

Yeah this basically explains >and some dialects of Arabic
Is that related to Egyptians saying مش rather than لا?

Our traditional alphabet origins from chinese language

Pic related, it means 'polski alfabet tradycyjny'

Is this hard to say for Br?

>O rato roeu a rolha da garrafa do rei da Rússia.

Old Norwegian practically died during the black plague, because only priests were literate at the time, and they were the ones who treated the sick, killing them too.

Icelandic is essentially old Norwegian.

German has a lot of verbs that are created from other verbs and prefixes but their meanings don't often correspond at all. Think of 'to stand'->'to understand'.

Now these prefixes can be separable or nonseparable, depeding on the verb, which means they have to be put at the end of a main clause.

Now, in extreme cases you can have a running long-ass main clause with several subordinate clauses with, including an ambiguous verb stem. The whole construction would only gain its full meaning by finishing with the right verb prefix.

This is especially frustrating for interpreters who have to anticipate the meaning of the sentence or work with a delay in order to avoid retroactively changing the sense of what is being interpreted.

My fucking sides.

That's pretty interesting. Nice numbers btw.

Using [h] for "hard R": really easy.
Using [r] instead: quite hard.

Standard German is based on two famous works of fiction.

The fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm and the translated Holy Bible.

>flexibility in sentence structure.
Made me kek
>combined with the biggest vocabulary in the world
Kaiokek x2, German holds that one

The written tradition died, not the language

i've heard Norwegian was already quite degenerate at that time, the written language used much grammar that people didn't use in spoken language so it was hard to learn to write correctly.
The high quality grammar that was already gone from spoken language died from the written language when people who knew how to write died, written Norwegian after that has much more degenerate grammar

Our words have similar structures with the Mayans

>flexibility in sentence structure
Languages that lost their case endings have the most rigid sentence structures, mate,(including English) because for them word order determines the function of the parts that make up the sentence.

French. It sounds like shit and there is no way to sound menacing with it.

Many people in the big cities will use the French "r" or the German "ch". People from Rio grande do Sul's rural areas use a strong rolled "r", while some rural locations in Minas Gerais use the american "r", so thats why it's so funny for us to hear an american speak because they sound like a literal hillbilly.

Really? I speak decent Spanish, so I would understand most Tagalog?

Languages can also use stress, conjugation and context when they have different sentence structures. Word order and case endings aren't the only ways to understand.

isn't castilllian just a spanish dialect?

at least that's what I was taught in high school spanish kek

But, Americans are very practical in very many things also. I do understand the heritage factor, however I do not see why should it still be such a bother/bother.

Castillian and Spanish are two names for the same language. Using one or another in Spain implies a certain political view on who should be speaking it.

>an american speak because they sound like a literal hillbilly.
It's easy to tell both apart, though - outside Piracicaba, caipiras only use the retroflex/caipira R in syllable endings. Anglos (and piracicabanos) replace any and all "weak R" with it.

That's curious, here we say:

>o rato roeu a roupa do rei de roma

Not sure if it's supposed to be a "trava lingua" or something.

>Why would it be octopi?
Analogy with cactus>cacti, radius>radii, alumnus>alumni and other Latin Borrowings.

>Dutch sounds like ass
There's some "uncanny valley" effect going here.

In general, languages closely related to your own native language will sound like ass, since they're close enough to be partially recognizable... but far enough so it sounds "broken". (IMHO both English and Dutch sound ugly.)

>relaxed rules allowing flexibility in sentence structure
English is not flexible in this regard. Specially not compared with Romance and other Germanic languages.

>German is autistic and boring
>This combined with the biggest vocabulary in the world for any major language makes English really good for literature, poetry, music lyrics and media in general.
Those two are ad hoc associations. There's nothing "intrinsic" in German and English that make them sound "autistic" and "lyric" respectively.

It's a tongue-twister if you use a trill (either a rolled R or "French" uvular trill). If you use the velar sibilant (German CH) or English H, it stops being one.

Kek

Good post regarding both arguments.

Sorry, *three* arguments (did not notice the Dutch at first)

Lovely.

Works for slavs.

They didn't fucking invent the language, Pekka.

>This is especially frustrating for interpreters who have to anticipate the meaning of the sentence or work with a delay in order to avoid retroactively changing the sense of what is being interpreted.

Simultaneous interpretation assignments will then be a bitch. Almost a peer-to-peer level lingual expertise required regarding the specific topic.

German is hard to translate by machine because compound words are not seperated by space. Although common ones can be included into machine translators, ones that are made up for a text are practically very hard to detect.

But they could streamline it by discarding a lot (A LOT) of useless shit, Igor.

English language is about to get cucked by all sorts of memetic influences seeping in the speech. Nouns, adjectives and verbs are all treated as interchangeable articles in the minds of 93% of World population, who don't and never will think in English language.

How do you item this issue? By acronyming expressions in a do state?

if you use more than one adjective to describe a noun in english, there is a correct order:

1. quantity
2. opinion
3. size
4. temperature
5. age
6. shape
7. color
8. origin
9. material

for example,
"the quick (2) brown (7) fox"
"two (1) really big (2/3) hot (4) yellow (7) chinese (8) cocks"

are you gay?

Esperanto has a few thousand native speakers, some are even 2nd and 3rd generation

youtube.com/watch?v=zapTF7g6BWk
youtube.com/watch?v=UzDS2WyemBI
youtube.com/watch?v=YUUt1YMO7zE

Any of that doesn't matter if you don't think in English.

also makes it hard to use swype keyboards on mobile

Dude, no. English is the solution. Get real.

Can it be heard on your dialect ?