Is this a giant joke? All of this sounds absolutely terrible...

Is this a giant joke? All of this sounds absolutely terrible. Maybe it sounded original when it came out but he's been outclassed by literally everyone else who's pickled up an instrument and played the blues.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UNftrsCMiQs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

he ruined music

Is this a giant joke? All of this looks absolutely terrible. Maybe it was original when it came out but he's been outclassed by literally everyone else who's picked up a camera and filmed a movie.

I think a lot of Robert Johnson's fans just fall in love with the legend of him selling his soul to the devil.

To be honest, I don't listen to him a whole lot for similar reasons: the music often sounds very jarring and can be hard to hear the first few times around.

What I say somewhat redeems him is the absolute pain and suffering you hear in his music.

Side note: Me and The Devil Blues is a badass manga based off of Robert Johnson. You shouldn check it out.

but honestly listen to people covering him and i think you will understand him

You have to be in the right state of mind to appreciate it. Sometimes I would never want to here it and other times I'm in the perfect mood for it.

it's comfy

maybe you should ask fantano

I think that a lot of other of the country bluesmens' music has aged better. I listen to Blind Willie Johnson, Skip James, Charley Patton, Mississippi John Hurt, etc, because I actually want to listen to their music. Listening to Robert Johnson feels like a history project.

Good bait, m8

He's a poor man's Charley Patton but still pretty great

YOU HUSH NOW

>Maybe it sounded original when it came out
m8 do you even know anything about Robert Johnson? He died in obscurity.

But that legend belonged to Tommy Johnson

you can go suck a fuck

Moot!

It also belonged to Faust

What's interesting is, if you listen to people who knew Johnson, the album was not characteristic of his usual playing.

The story is, apparently, when Johnson went to meet H.C. Speir, he was a virtuoso in a lot of different styles, including Jazz and Country, alongside Delta Blues. Speir recommended Johnson record as a Delta Blues artist first, since that's what people in the region wanted. Johnson did, and of course, died before he could really branch out into different genres.

Not sure how much of it is true, but I kinda believe it.

He was apparently going to play a big concert in NYC that would've gained him recognition before he died. Really, he's probably the first /tragic/ figure in the popular music canon. Sad life. At least he wasn't lynched.

Correct, guitar, for the most part (excluding jazz) , is a meme instrument

skip james is way cooler, he sounds like a ghost.

youtube.com/watch?v=UNftrsCMiQs

Millennials everyone.

Other than needlessly insulting my generation, can you give me a reason why someone like Blind Willie Johnson isn't more enjoyable than the other Johnson?

Why does it have to be a Competition?

Is this a giant joke? All this tastes absolutely terrible. Maybe it tasted original when it came out, but it's been outclassed by literally everyone else who's walked into a kitchen and fixed breakfast.

The only song of his I like listening to is They're Red Hot