Are Live Albums Bad?

>Talk to friends
>Bring up live albums
>They are quick to dismiss them as trash
>They hate all the cheering/chants etc.

This begs the questions, are live albums just crash grabs? Or are they decent documents of an artist at that moment in their career?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fS-YHJbmAXs
youtube.com/watch?v=TUZ9BcdSc2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nah, some artists' live albums are truer representations of their music than the studio records. One big artist this is true for is Townes Van Zandt.

There are really good ones:

>Alive 2007
>The Long Goodbye
>MTV Unplugged in New York

And there are not good ones. It depends on if the band does anything interesting for the live set and how well the mixing is done so you hear just the right amount of crowd noise.

I don't really bother with live albums either. Seems a bit pointless

Bootlegs on the other hand are cool. The kinda ones where frontmen talk to the crowd, the band improv during songs, switch up their setlist or do odd covers etc.

Live albums are fine, but it seems better to have video. When I was listening to Arch enemy a few weeks ago on my phone in the car I preferred listening to these versions. I like the higher screams like at 1:20 she doesn't do as much on the recorded versions.
youtube.com/watch?v=fS-YHJbmAXs

Some artists best albums were live: Johnny Cash, Swans, Cheap Trick, Talking Heads, Nirvana, Townes van Zandt, Hendrix, Hawkwind, B.B. King, Albert Ayler, AC/DC, etc.

But the majority are terrible

Depends on the artist really.
Ween's live albums are fucking amazing.

absolutely, and Live at the Old Quarter is a solid example of a live album with an overall very respectful crowd, where the noise from that isn't an issue.

If you dismiss live albums outright, you maybe the biggest pleb I've met. Some of the greatest records of all time are live, and they bring out so many facets and subtleties of the music in a new setting. The ability to make music sound great live is also a pretty good indication of the quality of the musicianship as well - hence why Sup Forums plays live albums down so much, their favourite artists almost all being terrible live.

Seriously?

Neil young and crazy horse - rust never sleeps

/thread

Jazz

you're friends are tasteless faggots

That's fucking garbage

back to /r/music

OH SHIT
FUCKING REKT

There are a few live albums I like, joy division in les bains is a great one.
Also guitar amp by velvet underground although admittedly that albums appeal is very limited.

>are they decent documents of an artist at that moment in their career?
yes

see

>public castration is a good idea
>garbage
it was a good meme, but not good enough unfortunately

It really depends. Some live albums sound like total shit.

How do your ears not hurt from listening to that trash?

nobody has replied to this yet saying "this"

fucking cucks

Live albums are garbage.

>nigger music

nah

I don't think they're necessarily trash at all. Coheed and Cambria's live album is by far their best. Yes' live albums are also phenomenal.

I don't know about albums, but lightning crashes wasn't a bad song?

Where else would I get to listen to Michael Gira screaming about being an asshole?

Peel Sessions and other "almost live" stuff is my favorite.
Cuts down on crowd noise, but keeps the energy.

In my eyes, a studio version of Fear of the Dark does not exist. Donnington '92 or bust.

youtube.com/watch?v=TUZ9BcdSc2Y

I much prefer live albums to the studio stuff, the music generally has more energy and is much more raw.

I quite like guitar centric music so you often get a more prominent guitar tone in the mix and more improv solos which is always a good thing.

Even if they're not particularly good live albums ("Stop Making Sense" tier stuff), I always like listening to em from a hardcore fan perspective.

They make me feel all excited and stuff.

Porcupine Tree have tons of fantastic live albums

>Stop Making Sense
>not a particularly good live album

>birthday party
>Bad seeds
>Swans
>Mogwai
>Grateful dead
All their best albums are live albums

Why hasn't anyone said this to this post yet.

Wtf mu you fucking plebs

Meant it as an example of a good live album.

This is a great album - better than their studio stuff imo