Why are his reviews of Swans albums so stupid? Seriously, go read them...

Why are his reviews of Swans albums so stupid? Seriously, go read them, it's like they're written by a pseudo who has no understanding of their purpose lyrically or musically but understands that Swans is considered a good band among most serious music listeners so he gave them 8/10s.

>He doesn't like muh trilogy

His review of The Seer is on point desu

scaruffi is a fucking hack for pseudo-intellectual contrarian morons

I'm talking more about their first 4 albums you fucking retards. But it's really all there albums.

Maybe if you read the actual post before your meaty fingers start typing away you'd see that considering he didn't give Seer, Kind, or Glowing 8/10s.

>Why are his reviews of Swans albums so stupid?

>Actually I'm only really talking about the first four you retards

Also, *their

woah chill out there bruh

>Muh dad rock
His reviews are trash.

Reminder that he gave Eloy - Ocean a 7/10

But if we're talking about his reviews of their early albums:
His review of the Seer isn't on point. He gave it a bad review because his sense of heavy is abrasive and he clearly feels less of a connection to the cosmic than with social dynamics like with their early albums ("muh psychological, muh intellectual").
To Be Kind was then released and was even more intense than The Seer and another masterpiece that perfected a certain sound like Soundtracks, Children of God, and Greed, but if he admitted it was good then he'd basically be taking back all of his critiques of The Seer which is horrible for his appearance as the genius that he believes himself to be.
Who knows, maybe he purposefully misunderstood their first 4 albums because they're mocking people who try to create authority which is exactly what critics do.

>Why are his reviews of Swans albums so stupid
>wow, you disagree with two of his reviews?

Also, go bak to reddit

>He doesn't like muh trilogy

Exactly what it deserves tho
The 1st track blows the other ones out of the water

fuck you dawg

He reviews music ironically to trigger plebs.

Scaruffi is clearly a fan of the cosmic.

His "sense of heavy" is abrasive??? If I correctly understand this expression, then you're wrong, but abrasiveness can obviously contribute to heaviness.

Critics don't try to create authority, they try to find albums they like and suggest them to you and express their personal taste and aesthetics through writing about it. They're almost like artists.

hahahahaha
Ocean is a fucking garbage album

you know it's true.

Scaruffi doesn't give albums that are supposed to be considered good among "serious" music listeners high scores. What is it to understand "the purpose" of Swans?

By the way, he's writing about rock music. There is no logical and simultaneously meaningful way to discuss rock music albums. Scaruffi is just trying to create the aesthetic impression he gets from a given album and write it down.

Lol people here still care about Scaruffi

>Critics don't try to create authority, they try to find albums they like and suggest them to you and express their personal taste and aesthetics through writing about it. They're almost like artists.

He lists his "Most overrated artists and most underrated artists." Are you joking?

He's trying to write down his subjective experiences with rock albums. He considers some of these experiences and rock album art objects to be more powerful than others. I don't see how he can be called a hack.

I don't see how taking album recommendations from a guy is an intellectual pursuit, so how can it be pseudo-intellectual? Contrarian to what? Popular opinion? Why is an opinion automatically considered in relation to a more popular opinion?

He's got some interesting opinions, but i just can't take this guy seriously

I can't take someone who thinks Trout Mask Replica is the best Rock album ever made seriously. TMR isn't inherently bad, it's a fun eccentric album but there's no way this is the most important album in Rock music

Critics are intensely egotistical and if you can't see that yourself then you really messed up everything

I'm not joking. Are you?

He's trying to establish the kind of music he thinks is good by saying how good he thinks certain albums are. He's trying to define his personal and subjective aesthetics.

He's mentioning the fact that there is incredible music that is under appreciated by music scholars and critics, but also the masses. People talk about Elvis like he's a great and creative and intelligent and self-aware artist, when all he was was a somewhat creative singer who happened to be extremely derivative. A great album to Scaruffi has interesting and generally idiosyncratic psychology that is expressed through atmosphere and structure. An album has consciousness, like other art forms, and that is what Scaruffi is interested in. An artist like Tim Buckley has a lot of that, and very little attention, which is why Scaruffi thinks he is underrated.

I don't see how that's relevant even if it is true?

It's a very well-crafted album. There's a lot of creativity in the album. Beefheart is one of the greatest singers, I think you can agree.

More importantly, rock music is about creating an aesthetic, unlike folk or pre-Romantic classical music. Even Romantic and 20th century music that creates its' own aesthetic is still related to the classical tradition's aesthetic or other social aesthetics (e.g. Poland's folk music, a nationalist style of classical composition, etc.) either through utilizing the same kinds of textures, melodies, forms, etc. to a greater degree than rock music is. The other component is that rock music utilizes idiosyncratic vocal styling, and the voice is the most timbrally diverse instrument in the world. It's just generally easier to create character by not utilizing a pre-existing tradition too strongly, which is easier to do when you're not trained and are creating your own musical language from next to nothing, relatively. Captain Beefheart epitomizes this.

unfortunately

>Sup Forums hates scaruffi
>always keep talking about him

it's like you purposefully spend your day trying to make yourself mad. Why do this to yourselves?

its_like_im_almost_enjoying_my_anger.jpg

we need to stop him soon

This

>No time for music reviews until later in the year.
>year's almost over

what's the deal?

Oh I didn't expect people to take me seriously.
Yeah his reviews are really bad at actually conveying anything and are mainly just whatever biases he wants to shit out.

He still has the most worthwhile recs of any blogger (and yes, Anthony Fantano is just a vlogger, Christgau is the equivalent of a blogger back when having a blog required print access, pitchfork is an aggregated blog, et cetera. They're all just gay blogs).

>They're almost like artists

A step too far, Pierro, you have given yourself away and we now know it's you.