It boggles my mind to think that, in this day and age...

It boggles my mind to think that, in this day and age, when the Internet makes it possible for us to listen to nearly any piece of recorded music ever made, that there are actually still people out there who think that it's acceptable and ok to listen to RHCP.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8
youtu.be/CshcQ0-TnwU
youtube.com/watch?v=eRBOgtp0Hac
youtube.com/watch?v=aBKEt3MhNMM
youtube.com/watch?v=1nz4yvQ_Ras
youtube.com/watch?v=4f3d5ZdE4vY
youtube.com/watch?v=oQJmaKBcMzo
youtube.com/watch?v=Alh34O8xbv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Chili Peppers are fucking amazing,
Literally whats bad about them? They're funky punk and fun as hell to listen to.

>falling for the "fun" meme

>I can't believe people listen to what they like, when they could literally be listening to something they don't!

>believing that enjoying music because it's fun is a ""meme""

ITT: I have to listen to ambient field recordings to prove how non-plebian I am

is give it away the worst song of all time?
youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8

no

it's got to be up there. i have yet to hear another song so unforgivingly obnoxious and grating that it actually makes me angry.

Stop with this meme. It's not funny and it doesn't make you look smart, in fact it makes you look dumb. Do you think because you hate on fantastic artists for ZERO good reason this makes you a genius? I can tell it does make you think that because your post reeks of extreme pretentiousness. You're not a genius. You're not smart. You know nothing. What you just posted was the equivalent of taking a shit on your computer keyboard, but what's sad is, I already know you well enough to know that after you read back your shit roughly 10 times with a smug sense of self satisfaction, and then you clicked Post and watched the window disappear with a feeling of pride and excitement knowing you just shared your "thoughts" with the world, you actually thought someone would be impressed with what you did. I want you to do something for me, for all of us. I want you to press the X button on this tab, and then I want you to press the X button on every single Sup Forums tab you have open, and I want you to not visit this place ever again, and I'm being totally serious about that dude. God bless.

Tell me why its bad?
Is it the instrumental?
The lyrics?
Actually give me a reason I'm curious, because if you hate this shit but can tolerate death grips I'm honestly curious why.

>God bless
ya blew it

the squealing guitar, the boingy jaw-harp in the back the whole time, the complete lack of melodic and harmonic variety, the lyrics, but above all else the horrendous vocal delivery

See you in hell (not, because I accepted Jesus Christ as my savor, and why haven't you?)

Give this a try

youtu.be/CshcQ0-TnwU

Give me an example of what good, melodic and harmonic variety is.
(Firstly the boingy stuff's only in the music video, studio ver. doesn't have that an I can agree is pretty annoying) but besides that the song's great in my opinion, the "squealing" guitar in the beginning is great together with the beginning with drums, excites the listener, then you got Anthony's exciting and jumping lyric singing together with the bouncy riff. The whole song's bouncy and exciting, as it was intended to be played, a song that gets you up. You gotta stop listening to music and start feeling it man. My only complaint with the song was its unneeded slow and backwards solo, sorta throws off the tempo.

>excites the listener
>Anthony's exciting and jumping lyric singing together with the bouncy riff
>The whole song's bouncy and exciting, as it was intended to be played, a song that gets you up
yeah this is the main problem i have with it. it's all hype with no substance. the fact that they're trying so hard to get people stoked is what really gets on my nerves. i find it to be horribly obnoxious, but i guess to each his own

i've heard it. i liked it in like 7th grade when i was first learning how to play bass

Are you gonna post what you find good?

youtube.com/watch?v=eRBOgtp0Hac

That's a great song by their standards. It's not the fucking Zephyr Song.

this song has surprisingly deep lore

>In 2002, founding member and vocalist Jermaine Fuller died during an 11-hour police standoff. During the standoff his brother-in-law, Snoop Dogg attempted to calm Fuller down and convince him to surrender to no avail while high on marijuana. Fuller's death directly led to the disbandment of the group.

The same thing could have been said (with slightly different language) in 1991

nah. that's an extremely vague question and you're gonna shit on it no matter what i post. the bottom line is that my musical tastes have changed a lot since middle school.

my weed dealer also does a lot of speed and he is always playing RCHP, fucking degenerate.

drug dealers aren't ever supposed to do drugs. that's like the first rule

I'm not musically closed minded like OP, I have a very wide variety of tastes. I don't judge music just because you don't like the same as I do. So please send one of your favs, I'd like to see what you mean by melodic/harmonic variety.

plebiest sentence of all time

Go listen to your running water with vocals, faggot.

at least it's better than red hot cringe peppers

by saying the song lacks melodic/harmonic variety, i was mostly just pointing out that the entire song is comprised of just three chords, and the chorus is literally just one. and i use the word 'chords' here generously considering that it's really just flea playing the one root note.

if you want an example of some songs i consider to have good melodic and harmonic variation and movement, then here are some well-known examples
youtube.com/watch?v=aBKEt3MhNMM
youtube.com/watch?v=1nz4yvQ_Ras
youtube.com/watch?v=4f3d5ZdE4vY
youtube.com/watch?v=oQJmaKBcMzo
youtube.com/watch?v=Alh34O8xbv8

The Red Hot Chili Peppers' journey from a ghettoized '80s alternative act to stadium rock multiplatinum titans is a long and checkered one. Regardless of what you happen to think of them, they have certainly earned their way into the pantheon of classic rock giants. Which is a shame because they're really pretty fucking bad. The band's self-titled 1984 debut album sounds like Butthole Surfers meets Tom Tom Club, a comparison not intended as a compliment. It's
plagued by an overly thin mix, vocal reverb, and Anthony Kiedis's obnoxious rapping vocals. Did I also mention slap bass everywhere? Because that's every RHCP fan's first line of defense when questioned. "Dude, Flea. LMAO!" I get it, he's a decent bassist and has a good stage presence. Cool.

The next two albums, Freaky Styley (1985) and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan (1987) largely continue the same formula, with Hillel Slovak's mock P-Funk guitar riffs, Flea's slap bass, and Kiedis's rhythmic talking (I won't refer to it as rapping because that would be an insult to hip-hop). Aside from some truly juvenile sexual imagery ("I want to party on your pussy" repeated about 20x), Kiedis's vocals blow me away with just how bad and limited they are. His voice is very thin, has a range of about 1-1/2 octaves total, and the way he skips from note to note almost sounds like yodeling at times. Perhaps he'd be ok singing campfire tunes or karaoke, but not as the vocalist of an alleged rock group.

Most regard the band's magnum opus as being Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991) in which guitarist John Frusciante, who took over after Hillel Slovak overdosed on drugs in 1988, smoothed out the metal-like sound of the early Chilies albums while not forsaking a Hendrix feel. Despite some superb guitar work on Under The Bridge, the listener still has to contend with Anthony Kiedis's 8th grade poetry.

Personally I don't find these songs bad whatsoever (Except Mystic Lady & Road, didn't like em) But you're comparing Punk/Funk Rock, a genre known for being fast and not using a ton of chords to these bands. If you don't like Punk influenced genres understandable, not everyone does. Saying it's bad for being "an entire song comprised of just three chords" isn't fair in that context. Now if they were persay a progressive rock band plAying 3 chords I'd understand the dislike. But Music is an art, and art is subjective, what people find amazing others will find repulsive. So I fully respect and welcome to your thoughts.

Speaking of lyrics, one of RHCP's most disgraceful elements is the frat boy sexuality in their songs. Blood Sugar Sex Magik has this in spades, from Give It Away to Sir Psycho Sexy, which sounds like a Penthouse Magazine letter-to-the-editor combined with every awful early '90s dudebro slang phrase in the book. Give It Away also utilizes the very "interesting" device of a jaw's harp, perhaps to cover up Kiedis's vocals.

After being MIA for most of the decade and nearly succumbing to drugs, John Frusciante cleaned up for the band's 1999 album Californication. The years of drug abuse cost Frusciante most of his chops, but his guitar had never wept as gently as it did on Scar Tissue and Otherside, unfortunately ruined by producer Rick Rubin's "loudness wars" mixing. Californication went 5x platinum and saw these one-time frat boy sex maniacs reinvent themselves as a more sober, grown-up (read: boring) band, a trend they would continue on the relaxed, soft-rock By The Way (2001) and the bloated double album mess of Stadium Arcadium (2006).

RHCP took the raw sexuality of '70s funk groups and made it dumber, partially by dropping George Clinton's political agendas and partially by
having a cutesy white boy with hair down to his waist writing lyrics. Frusciante admittedly added an extra dimension to their sound, but now that he's gone, it seems as if it was never enough.

That's not Five For Fighting--100 Years.

cheers. honestly, i'm fine with simplicity a lot of the time too. punk is one of my favorite genres. like i said before, i think it's mostly just keidis' voice and delivery that turns me off of that song so much. anyways, thanks for not being a total jackass like most of the posters here. this has probably been the most in-depth music discussion i've had on here in weeks.

it puzzles me how long Anthony has been able to get away with that 80s white boy rapping cadence and nobody's ever called him out on it

I wish I could go deeper but I'm extremely tired. And honestly same, I agree, for a music board this place has very little discussion bout music. It's mostly one person calling the other a name (Pleb, normie, fag, etc) and ignoring the fact there's a reason so many genres of music exist. People have different tastes.

If you trim the fat from this review he seems to based it half on the bands image, and then the rest is a mix of the vocals and lyrics...

The Beastie Boys did it for years, what's the problem with "White boy Rapping"

having white skin, it seems

I understand they rarely ever played Mother's Milk songs live because they were pissed at how the sound of the album came out.

This. To all the pretentious fuckers: have fun listening to harsh noise alone in your bedroom.

GIA is like the ultimate 90s party tune.

They are hot trash and I don't respect the musical opinions off any one who thinks otherwise

Because as we all know, you're not worthy to post on Sup Forums without listening to the entire Metal Machine Noise.

> I don't respect the musical opinions off any one who thinks otherwise
Sup Forums's motto

0/10 vocalist with a 8/10 guitarist

He's talking about the corny Vanilla Ice type flow. Totally bare-bones 4/4 with one rhyme per bar at the end of every line, nothing inventive or unusual about it.

I'm older than most of you guys, and I remember the early 90s when BSSM came out and they became the biggest band on the planet. My sister was also obsessed with Anthony Kiedis back then and built a disgusting shrine to them in her room. She also "dated" him for a while. God, I hate this band so much.

I love how every pleb defend their shit band saying they're "fun"
Gorillaz are fun
Green Day are fun
My Chemical Romance are fun
Fall Out Boy are fun

What's more to music than enjoying it? Isn't that the point of music? To fucking enjoy it?
I'm honestly convinced Sup Forums dwellers have created this false ideology that music is suppose to always suppose to not be normal or good. Because if its Fun and you enjoy it you're a pleb.
Shut up you fucking loser, go pick up an instrument, play some tunes and enjoy music.

Shitty commercial music marketed toward teenagers with 0 substance arent "fun"

Holy shit. Pleb King confirmed

That's one of the most retarded things I've read on mu
And that's quite an accomplishment considering how many brainless 18 years olds like you are here
>music is suppose to always suppose to not be normal or good
If you think anything that isnt picking five chords and signing something with a whiny voice is bad sure
>go pick up an instrument
I've been playing piano 8 years
but your definition of picking up an instrument is probably to get a guitar learn how to play californication on it in 5 minutes and newer learn something new

gorillaz arent idiotic to the level of those other bands you listed

Just because you're nostalgic about a cartoon doesn't mean it is at all good

I only listened to a full record of theirs for the first time just a year ago and I refuse to put a band that ranges between ok and good next to fucking fall out boy

Is this copypasta

The Red Hot Chili Peppers [EMI America, 1984]

As minstrelsy goes, this is as good as it gets (and minstrelsy it had better be). The reason it doesn't quite come off as good-natured can be found in this mysterious observation from spokesperson Flea. "Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash have great raps, but not the great music to go along with them." In a bassist, that's serious delusion. B-

Mother's Milk [EMI, 1989]

Punks who loved Hendrix and P-Funk, they've decided to cash in on their excellent tastes. Problem is, they didn't have the chops to pull it off before, and now that they've pushed the guitar up front, they sound even cruder. But I'm sure they're nice guys, even mention "compassion" in the first verse of the first song. C+

Blood Sugar Sex Magik [Warner Bros., 1991]

they've grown up, they've learned to write, they've earned the right to be sex mystiks ("Give It Away", "Breaking The Girl") *

One Hot Minute [Warner Bros., 1995] *bomb*

Californication [Warner Bros., 1999]

New Age fuck fiends ("Scar Tissue", "Purple Stain") *

By The Way [Warner Bros., 2002]

How desperate rock scribes are for remaining bands of any commercial clout that this release was greeted with hosannas in a slow news month. This piece of let's-slow-things-down-a-little isn't too bad unless you were expecting thee funk, but it is certainly a turn or two slacker than Californication. Problem being that it's not enough just to suddenly act all mature and spiritual, you're also supposed to say something about maturity. And unless I'm mistaken, Anthony Kiedis has never had one thing to say about anything else. B-

Stadium Arcadium [Warner Bros., 2006]

The validation for the band's Grammy nomination is the old story of a double-album-should-have-been-a-single release. It says several things about them. Firstly, that they're an '80s band, their spiritual center, as such, is rooted in the agony and ecstasy of heroin and cocaine. Once a bassist's band, they're now ruled by the guitarist. At least back when the bass ruled, they enlivened this overworked dynamic with beats. Now they tax it with tunes, at least when they're on their game, such as the dead-end relationship song "Desecration Smile" and the marriage proposal "Put A Ring On It". B-

Stadium Arcadium...ughh, it had so much filler.

I'M A LITTLE PEA

So by "dated", you mean your sister was one of thousands of random, anonymous groupies that Anthony fucked backstage after a show and never saw or talked to again.

If only Anthony were as nice IRL as he depicts himself in his biography.

I'll give these guys credit at least for growing up and not still making teenager songs in their 40s like Weezer and Green Day.

"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers."

-- Nick Cave

If a mod doesn't come and ban all the RHCP defenders that have creeped out of the woodwork from this board, then there's no hope for this place

Have you read the article where you can tell Flea is quite upset because he's a huge Nick Cave fan and has all his albums? The ultimate crime of the band is that pretty much everyone likes Flea but he's decided for some reason to use his talents on such a shit band

I don't get the entire John Frusciante cult. I mean, I guess he had decent rhythm chops in the Mother's Milk days.

>Snoop Dogg attempted to calm Fuller down and convince him to surrender to no avail while high on marijuana

As if you guys didn't own their CDs when you were 13.

I think it's worthwhile to spend a lot of time deepening and refining your aesthetic appreciation, but then there's a point you arrive at where, paradoxically, you can really just free yourself to listen to whatever you want, and you realize you should let others off the hook for their tastes.

Pretty soon we'll have people defending Pearl Jam, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, Five Finger Death Punch, Audioslave, Panic at the Disco, Creed, and other horrifying Redditcore bands. And I for one don't want Sup Forums to be dragged down to that level.

Yeah. Unpopular opinion here but One Hot Minute is their best album. Navarro's playing on that thing took them to another level, albeit briefly, and then they brought John "Alimony" Frusciante back in

eets my aeroplane

Stop!

>get a guitar learn how to play californication on it in 5 minutes and newer learn something new
If you just learned something in 5 minutes, it's new.

Are you tarded?

ooooh, this is hard to read.

>I don't know how to prove him wrong so instead I'll out point an irrelevant mistake he made
bravo
I bet you're proud of yourself

>I don't know how to prove him wrong
[citation needed]

Haha good meme
So how's highschool going?

>I don't know how to prove him wrong so instead I'll make a non argument
bravo
I bet you're proud of yourself

You are just avoiding the argument and saying stupid meme phrases fucking illiterate kid

Ooops meant to quote and

OK then

Music doesn't need to be complex to be good. It's OK that music can be fun. It all boils done to if you enjoy it or not. This user did not have a counter argument against this, his rebuttal was "that's retarded!"

You should be telling him he's saying stupid meme phrases fucking illiterate kid

80-90s RHCP are ok in my book.

People already defend Panic at the Disco and Green Day.

What's wrong with liking 90s Pearl Jam or Green Day?
They weren't amazing bands, but they weren't
bad either.

Yeah you're right, Sup Forums is totally above that, idolizing shitty synthpop and 'Experimental" like grimes music. No but we're above shitty rock bands from the 80s/90s

>No but we're above shitty rock bands from the 80s/90s
You're not. They are fine.

Honestly looking at this thread, it seems to me that Sup Forums's just salty their "super deep" and crappy ambient music isn't a #1 chart maker like the RHCP so complain about it. They got their fame and success for a reason. It was a bumpy road but they got there.

>pretty soon

It's a meme here to hate popular bands because "reee normies reddit". Same happens in every board of Sup Forums. Most people in real life at least likes 1 Chili Peppers song, it's a pretty likeable band because they do make good music. Whoever says Frusciante and Flea aren't talented musicians are just dumb trolls 2bh

Oh, that clears up so much. Thanks.

RHCP is dank kid

He did post what he found good. You read it in the post you quoted. It's that big blank spot at the bottom of the post. That's where you can read all the good things.

But I love the Zephyr Song.

oh yeah, here's the ambient field recordings meme