/gg/ - Guitar and Gear General

Marty Friedman Edition

Use google if you have a question, this thread is for shitposting.

Old shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8UollU8gDws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Carly

Should have been Jason Becker edition.

This is the real thread.

Celebrate Paul Reed Smith's birthday in this thread

Marty was always better though.

There's already a thread, this is spam

For me it is the Les Paul. The best electric guitar.

Nope. This is the real one.

too bad marty is a homosexual weeaboo

Whatever you gotta do to get replies, not my fault no one would repky to you otherwise

He is literally living /gg/'s dream.
He's good at guitar, and gets to bang Jap sluts any time he wants, while living in Tokyo and speaking perfect Japanese.
He's >our guy

he hosted a show in japan and this model was his costar later she came out and said what an insufferable asshole he was it was all over Japanese news years ago

What is /gg/s opinion on chapman guitars?

Memes aside, what makes it so great?
To me it seems like a bulky, heavy thing with outdated tech and headstocks that notoriously break and strings that bind in their terribly designed nut because of the break angle and don't stay in tune.
Why is it so popular besides the name on the headstock, which hasn't been known for quality in years.

>tele
Vomit

I'd believe it. Mustaine is an insufferable asshole, and he kicked marty out..

The thing is the dude is in his 50s now. He's super famous over there and a household name but he's not young, and he was never good looking.
You've got these young, attractive Japanese people and an ugly Jewish American in his 50s.

He's living the dream, but he's too old.

Just buy the original before chapman steals it and adds his signature infinity symbol mark of the thief on it.

This honestly.
His guitars are just rebranded guitars from other brands. Nothing new or innovative, just with his name and headstock.

And they're made in Indonesia, where all the cheap Squier tier shit is made.

isnt mustaine the only original member

Becker was the ultimate guitar player.

My dad said they were good

Toan and famous people, mainly.

Nope. Ellefson is still there.
Their original drummer died, and Poland got kicked out for being more of a junkie piece of shit than Dave was, which is crazy to think

>guitars with LP shape not made by gibson
Not saying they have a monopoly on that shape of guitar but cmon how many guitars have a Les Paul shape that aren't imitations

>name on the headstock
That's it, dude.

>tone
I hope you're memeing.

Famous people played them a long time ago when they were known for their quality. Now they're trash

GUITAR legend Marty Friedman has achieved so much since first picking up the instrument after seeing Kiss at the age of 14.

He sold 10 million albums with thrash metal group Megadeth, has a hugely successful solo career and is an acclaimed television presenter in his adopted home of Japan.

Yet, there is one incident in his career that sends shivers down his spine - performing the Hatikva in Israel.

Marty played the Israeli national anthem during a show at the Theatre Club, Tel Aviv in April 2007.

"Talk about getting the chills," Marty said about the impromptu performance. "I wish my grandparents were there to see it because they were so Orthodox that they didn't care about anything other than Jewish stuff.

"They were super super Jewish. Maybe they saw it in some weird strange way."

Marty, who played in Israel once with Megadeth and once with his solo band, told me that performing in the Jewish state was "the coolest thing ever".

"It was like playing anywhere else," he said. "You could be playing in Puerto Rico. You see a bunch of long-haired metal fans. But their names are like Sidney Goldstein.

"It totally freaked me out that everybody in the whole building was Jewish. Growing up being the only Jew in class for my entire childhood . . . and then there, everyone were crazy rock maniacs. Nobody looks Jewish."

"Last year in China, I played the Chinese opera Butterfly Lovers and you see everyone's face light up because they don't expect you to do that. And in Israel, obviously being Jewish, it takes on an even more special feel."

His grandparents arrived in America from Russia and Austria, while his American-born father worked in government and his mother is a writer.

Marty's Jewish education lasted until his barmitzvah. He says Laurel had enough of a Jewish population to fill the one shul in town.

They're almost all imitations, with no sense of originality.
As much as I don't like PRS for being a Jew about guitar, his singlecut shape is the best thing to happen to that kind of guitar shape since the original Les Paul.

Hmmm.... Come on you can't say all LPs are trash. Most of them....like everyone I've ever played; sucked dick. But there is always a chance of a diamond in the rough

Marty being a Jew is common knowledge.

Chris Broderick is a badass tho. He just left the band. I been meaning to check out more of his other stuff

o im laffin

What do you mean?

Chris is interesting because he has all the technique and ability in the entire world, he can literally, LITERALLY, play it all.
The thing is, he's just not interesting. His solos aren't good, he's just robotic and fast and lacks any sort of feel or life.
Compare him to Marty, who has an instantly recognizable sound. You hear Marty bend a note and you know it's him. When he guest stars on a song, you know when it's him playing and not the other guy.
Chris is just there, he plays solos fast and with perfect technique and that's it. Then you forget about him.

Jesus. He must weigh 90 pounds

He's a Jew. No one is surprised by his height.

Super Strats are like that 10000 dollar office chair your boss has that looks like a plain leather chair but was engineered to hold your back like an angel in heaven while the german engineered parts are guaranteed to last multiple lifetimes. Les Pauls are DX racer gamer chairs that look cool but fall apart and hurt to sit in.

LPs don't look cool though.

He fits into children's clothing

Who is the best Megadeth guitarist they've had and between Kiko Loureiro and Marty Friedman why is it Marty?
Discuss.

Yeah i got the "rust in peace" anniversary vid. He literally plays exactly like Marty did. Said it was hard to learn how to "not only play it, but play it like he did". So it makes sense with your robot comparison. He had to learn to play with the emotion Marty conveys, which is outside of the box

pic related:
an actual japanese guitar legend

youtube.com/watch?v=8UollU8gDws

But the thing is, he doesn't play it with any of the feel and emotion Marty does.
Kiko comes the closest I've seen to Marty and still having his own sound, but Chris just sounded flat.

Kiko wins because he isn't a homosexual japan fetishist

DELET THIS POST

Chris wanted to play seven string meme guitars like he's always played and Dave said no, and like the cuck bitch he is Chris so "okay".

>when I played guitar, I figured it out right away and I was like, wow, this is way easier than playing sports. And I probably won’t get my ass kicked by doing this. And it’s a funny thing, I was kind of a small, skinny kind of gawky kid and once I started playing guitar all these big jock types were always like protecting me and stuff. Before I started playing guitar, and I never really got picked on or anything but I certainly didn’t have big football player friends at all until I’d gotten my first band. Then all of a sudden, they treat me like a king or something. That appealed to me right away

No one cares about non-white guitarists not named Jimi.

>why is it Marty?
Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls, Lucretia, Rust in Peace. Easily best leads in any of the whole megadeth anthology.

And where are those jocks now? Working wageslave jobs with their nagging wives they don't even love and annoying kids they wish they never had.
Meanwhile Marty is one of the most famous international guitarists of all time, a millionaire and living his dream.

Is it even a real question?

*blocks your path*

"I'm 5'7 guys, I swear. N-no, it's not just the shoes..."

why is his body so fucking out of proportion
its like his brain couldnt decide which part to grow and which part not to

I meant lead guitarist.
Dave is and always has been the rhythm guitarist. He's a fucking legend though, and he's a better lead than most other bands.
Mustaine > Hammett for example.

I've always wondered what Metallica would have sounded like if Mustaine had been retained. Probably a lot less stuff like Creeping Death and Master of Puppets and more Ride the Lightning and Battery type tunes. I know people love Mustaine's leads in Megadeth (myself included) but he sounded like shit in those demos and live shows from that time. He was way better served doing his own thing and not having to be the lead guitar player than staying.

What the fuck is with the indents? And why is every prog shredder buying one?

>was
kek

You could say that current Gibson is just making imitations of their originals with shit tier QC in their production USA series.

Megadeth and Dave Mustaine expert here.
Megadeth became so successful because Mustaine literally didn't give a fuck. At some points he didn't even care about his own life and wanted to die. Dave just played what he wanted, the way he wanted and didn't care. If you weren't part of that sound he looked for, you got kicked out. If you didn't mesh, you were gone. That's why they've had so many members come and go.
It's Dave's band, his songs and that's it.
Metallica could never work have worked with him because it's not his. It was James' and Lars' band.
People call Dave a dick and an asshole but it worked, he's been wildly successful and to be honest, he's really a very good person actually. He's a family man, been married to the same woman and has kids with her.

There is literally nothing wrong with Dave Mustaine.

Looks like shit, actually.

plus he looked like this

my brother and I met him when he played in Chicago. we couldn't believe how short he was.

Like I said, didn't give a fuck. Just look at that facial hair.
That's the look of a man that doesn't care what you have to say about him.

Toan dents

I don't think there's anything wrong with Mustaine either. Other than Jimmy Page he was one of the reasons I picked up a guitar. I've just always found the story of how he got kicked out of Metallica interesting to say the least, and his obsession with them despite his own success is really interesting. He's probably my favorite guitar player ever, I've just always wondered what Metallica would have been like with Mustaine in the band the whole time.

Guitars that look like they're only made for metal make me want to vomit

Look at how faggy Marty looks like by comparison.

that is one ugly lady

Dean guitars that aren't the VMNT make me want to vomit.
If there's one thing Dave got right it's his signature guitars.
Everything else Dean makes looks like pure shit.
And Dimebag is quite possibly the most overrated guitarist in history, and his guitars were the original super meme.

Definitely check out his autobiography. It's amazing. I read it in a day because I just couldn't put it down. He goes into depth about the whole thing and where he was mentally and why he did what he did.
I was going to have him sign my copy at a meet and greet but they fucking canceled their how in my city last minute.
I'm just waiting for the next time they come around.

I own tons of expensive gear and I'm insanely bad at guitar. Music for this feel?

why do they add a sharp point here?

I have an ESP Edwards Lacquer Taste LP that I bought in japan back in 2007. It's literally the best sounding guitar I've ever played even still now.

Has seymour duncan sh-4 bridge and sh-1 neck
It weighs a ton though.

Shoegaze

So you can stab yourself when you realize how stupid you look

>guitarist impaled by his own guitar after tripping over a cable and falling
Neat.

For awesome Blashyrkhs

arguably the most famous LP player ever modded the shit out of his because it was a bad instrument stock in the 60s even

jimmy page shaved the neck on his LP so thin that it was bordering on hurting the structural intergrity of it. He also wired his to sound more like his Tele, which is on more tracks than Gibshits would ever like to admit

Demon s 2 maybe an exception, because it looks like a Strat crossed with an SG

Dean Zelinsky dipped before Dean started putting out trash shapes and guitars

the guitars he makes right now are the best guitars he has ever made

I don't know how that second part is true. Not the Tele being on all the records, but the part about wiring the Gibson to sound like it. What did he permanently tap the coils or something? Sounds like a mostly impossible task if you ask me.

Those inlays ruin it.

Well yeah, he hasn't been able to play for 25+ years.

his number one has phase switches, coil taps, and series/parallel switches sitting under the knobs

Dave can grow a pretty great mustache.

Read up on his main guitars. They're so modded I don't even know if you can even call them LPs anymore.

delet this, Hendrix and Anime is grim

OP here

Reminder that my thread is always the right thread.

Anyone ever play one of those cheap danelectro reissues? Someone had one at a show i saw tn and I was wondering if they were any good or worth looking in to.

I unironically want this and already own the Dean from Hell. Come at me bro.

I don't really believe you.

Whatever floats your boat

if you set up your own guitars, they're perfectly fine. just not very "roadworthy"

the longhorn is a pretty dope bass, I had one for a while

>ywn be a badass jap rockstar

Eh it'd be a novelty i threw some tax return money on at best not really a touring guitar. All my guitars are more modern sounding noisey guitars so I figured a vintage sounding one would be kind of fun.

Why is ESP the most dank guitar maker
They make pure fretboard sex