Discuss

discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/122Adensityice.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rise faggot
sage

Considering how fat Ice Cube is, the glass will explode.

It will neither rise nor fall.

Neither. The ice is already in the water

fall

Stays the same level obviously due to water displacement.

Neither. But you will get more water

Fall because ice has alower density than water

ice has air in it so if it melts the air will get out meaning the water level falls but then again the ice is not wholly submerged so idk my man

fall, slightly. water-ice actually takes up more room than water

stays the same. the water will leak through the sides of the glass, that's why when you leave a glass of sweet tea sit the sides get wet. it's just the way things are.

opposite is the case you retard

Fall. Water expands when frozen, so the ice takes up more volume than the equivalent water. Even if it is not fully submerged

It depends if the glass is half empty or half full

The water level remains the same when the ice cube melts. A floating object displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes, one ounce of frozen water has a larger volume than one ounce of liquid water

The buoyant force acting upward upon the ice cube is equal to the force of gravity acting on the total volume of water displaced by the cube. As the cube melts, the force necessary to maintain the equilibrium of its buoyancy decreases, and the total volume of water displaced decreases. The volume of water in the glass, therefore, does not change as long as the ice cube is a solid homogenous volume.

Oh, I get it... 'cause if the water level doesn't go up people won't drown from global warming! You're so clever you solved all our problems!

^Because of course no animal would migrate differently, no plants would be unable to grow in their native climates, and nobody would choke on the pollution that caused it.

Thanks user. Your logic has saved us all.^

>The water level remains the same when the ice cube melts. A floating object displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes, one ounce of frozen water has a larger volume than one ounce of liquid water

this, theres nothing to discuss, because discussion dont change the facts.

could some user conduct an irl experiment

Depends on if user lives on flat erf under glass dome like snow globe.

yes because we are certified scientists...

Why would you believe anything that is said on Sup Forums?

implying that anything is real and not a simulation

Floating?
How much of it is above the water level?
How much freeboard?

>H2O maximum density = 1 gram per cubic at 4 degrees Celcius
>Expands above and below
>Volume of solid water (aka. ice) displacing equal volume of water
>Ice melts into same volume of water it's displacing
>Add sugar and yeast and hops to liquid water
>Let sit and ferment
>??? (or some other science shit)
>BEER!!! = profit

Old question to trick the idiots who failed grade 8 science class.

it is constant as long as the ice is from the same water as the glass

Ice has a lower density so it should fall further more a certain amount of water will evaporate. Leaving fewer water molecules total. Clouds come from somewhere. If you seal the container and take careful enough measurements the minute levels of radiation in everything will change some of the molecules to other substances. So once again down. Just make sure you measure the meniscus at the same place every time.

Freeze a billion molecules of H20
Thaw a billion molecules of H20
Still have a billion molecules of H20

lrn2logic faggot

Who cares?

And glaciers wouldn't melt either, creating run-off that fills the oceans, raising the sea level. So brilliant!

a quick google search said the level wont change

It will lower because ice is less dense than water. Meaning the ice cube is bigger than the water you will get when it melts which mean since less space is being taken up the water level will fall. Of course either way though their is still the same amount of water in the glass.

>larger volume
I think you're confusing volume and mass
The volume of water will change depending upon temperature, but the mass will not

It will stay the same because the volume of the contents doesn't change

You are retarded. The exact reason you gave is why the water level will rise. The ice sits on top of the water, because it's less dense, as it melts into the water, the water level will rise.

Dumb fuck.

How retarded are you

Pretty fuckin sad people don't know the water level will go down. Fill a glass of ice water to the brim, and as the ice melts, the water level will drop.
Mr. Wizard taught me that when I was 7 years old.

The ice will soak up all the water making the cube bigger.

There's a reason water displacement is measured in tons, i suggest you look it up.

Your bait is shit, but h2o molecules form a lattice when the temp gets to freezing, so that the water takes up more room as a solid than a liquid. Nearly every other substance in the universe takes up less space as a solid than as a liquid, which is why water is so unique. If you had an ocean of liquid methane or any other liquid, as it froze, the frozen bits would sink to the bottom. Where they would stay frozen. Not like water, which in solid form floats instead of sinks. Can you imagine a world where in lakes and oceans, frozen water sinks to the bottom. It would be a very different world.
1/0 for making me reply.

retard

Though I would ask wether is true.

Does solid water take up more space than liquid water? Thats the answer to the question, right?

Really?

So, freezing and thawing H20 magically creates new H20.

Cool science, bro.

good explination, I was wondering this

My guess is about 15% chance you got trolled

Since the ice cube is merely solid water molecules, the ice cube will melt to the level and maintain the depth as displaced by the density of the ice cube.

it stays the same

it takes up more volume

nigger

It will rise. Not because of the ice cube turning to water (ice is more voluminous than water and ofcourse fucking water displacement) but rather because heat makes things expand. The effect will hardly be noticeable though.

It will fall.

It is the law of buoyancy... For ANY object to float, it must displace a larger mass of water than itself. This means that the ice is less dense. Density is a function of mass/volume.

When the ice is displacing that amount of water tland then melts, the volume decreases as the density increases.

Water level is a volume, it therefore decreases.

This, nothing is changing other than the state of matter

>ice more dense than water

You realize that water expands (is less dense) when it freezes, right?

it will fall
water - Density = 1.0 g/mL
ice - Density = 0.92 g/mL

source chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/122Adensityice.html

Except also temperature. Things expand when they get hotter and shrink when cooled.

It will fall: the molecular structure of ice causes it to be denser than liquid water; ergo, a certain number of atoms of frozen water will fill up a greater volume of space than an equal number of atoms of liquid water.

Freezing an amount of water increases its volume by around 8%, as I recall -- it's why boulders can be cracked by water getting into gaps and then freezing.

and what about the allegations that ice (solid water) takes up more volume than water(liquid water)?

Water level doesn't change, do a fucking experiment and see for yourself.

denser = greater volume?

or is ice LESS dense?

He mentioned them.
"ice is more voluminous than water"

Ice is less dense.

Water displacement is based on mass, not volume. (it's why ships sink deeper in water when loaded while they do not change their shape when loaded)

Except for water, which expands when cooled.

>Does solid water take up more space than liquid water?
Yes.

>Thats the answer to the question, right?
No, because your buoyancy force is equivalent to the weight of the water you displace.

So say ice takes up a million times as much room as water. If you freeze an gallon of water, you get a million gallons of ice. This ice still weighs as much as a gallon of water. If we hold it out the water, it's pulled down by its own weight, which is the same as a gallon of water. Say it's being held completely under water: it's going to be pushed up by the weight of a million gallons of displaced water, and it's going to be pushed down by its weight of one gallon of water.

So what if it was floating, and wasn't going up or down? It would weigh the same as one gallon of water, so this force would need to be countered by an equal buoyancy force. The equal buoyancy force would have to be created by displacing one gallon of water, which is the same exact amount of water as the ice was made from at the start.

For any liquid that creates whateverbergs, the whateverlevel always stays the same regardless of the whateverbergs melting or getting bigger.

ITT dipshits that don't understand archimedes' principle. lemme spell it out for you:

an object displaces it's weight when placed in a liquid. volume is only relevant if you're trying to balance the buoyant forces to make something float (as is done with ships or submarines).

as people have pointed out, you are wrong. Ice has a different density than water, making it occupy more space.

if the experiment is done with enough ice or a good sense of detail, it'll prove the water level lowers

While ice slightly decreases in volume when it melts, that is negligible in this situation. Ice cubes tend to be mostly submerged, but there usually is a small part of it floating above the water level. Assuming this is the situation, the water level will rise very slightly, maybe unnoticeably so.

Actually, heating water from 0 degrees to 4 degrees makes it contract.

Water expands when it freezes = CORRECT
Other liquids contract when freezing = CORRECT
Physical volume of H2O changes when frozen
Physical mass DOES NOT CHANGE
Frozen H2O is SAME MASS as liquid water
Frozen H2O has gas trapped in it
Gas INCREASES buoyancy
Ice now floats because of BUOYANCY

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT!!!

Take some water and put it in a pressure vessel
Crank up the pressure to 100 times normal atmosphere
Freeze the pressurized water
More water in that volume because the atmospheric pressure
Pop that pressure cube in a glass of water in a low pressure environment
IT WILL SINK!
Because, wait for it, the mass of the volume of the pressurized ice is greater than the mass of equivalent volume of water it's displacing in a lower pressure environment.

Are you starting to learn now?

No, it doesn't. The expansion is caused by the water turning to ice (which is less densely structured), not because of water expanding inherently when cooled.

>an object displaces it's weight when placed in a liquid
This is trivially disprovable. If I drop a neutron star in the Pacific Ocean, all the water in the ocean doesn't leap out to "get displaced".

Yeah, but you probably aren't heating it to specifically 4 degrees, just room temperature most likely. In which case you would see expansion. But I do agree that it depends on the room temperature. Thanks that's actually a better answer.

nah, water displacement is volume object x density of fluid x acceleration

>not because of water expanding inherently when cooled.
Wrooooooooong!

anytime ice melts - even ice in the middle of a continent - the sea level rises

science always wins guys

if you dropped a neutron star into the ocean, it'd fucking attract everything around it because of it's gravity. stop bringing up shit that has nothing to do with the question at hand.

drop a 1 gram ball into 100 grams of water (which is nearly 100 mL iirc), it will displace 1 gram of water. drop in 1 gram of ice, it will displace 1 gram of water.

ice will take up more room so the water level lowers after the ice melts, derp derp derp.

This isn't a question of volume or density, but of mass.

Buoyancy and mass are proportional to volume and displacement when it comes to floating things in a liquid.

That's why metal boats float.

yeah but the ICE+water still takes up more volume than the water+water

the question is not about buoyancy, its about total volume, right?

rise, obviously...

How does the water level rise of fall without any water being added or removed?

ice is heavier than water so it will technically make the water level rise when it melts because the heavy ice will not be pushing down on it

i have observed this in action but with container ships which go over a tunnel down in norfolk, va

the container ships are super heavy, and therefore push the water down

but when the container ship goes by, you can see the water rise up behind it

ice floating in the ocean does the same thing, except for very small pieces of ice like the kind that comes out of your freezer because that is not very heavy at all and the ocean is very heavy

So if I drop 100 grams of depleted uranium into 100 grams of water, it will displace 100 grams of water?

No it won't.

That is wrong, sorry. Look up the story of Archimedes and the golden crown (it's where the phrase eureka comes from). It's probably more complex than than just mass, I'll give you that... but your formula doesn't factor in mass or weight, which obviously plays a major role.

I mean buoyancy by the way, not water displacement, I phrased it wrong.

volume is the entire question isnt it?

what takes up more space, Ice+water or ice+ice?

You do know why that would cause it to sink? By increasing pressure will squeeze out air pockets in the ice, similar to when you freeze boiled water. Its forms truly clear (no air) instead of hazy (air pockets). If you ever tried the experiment of freezing boiled filtered water will become neutrally buoyant and float fully submerged below the water surface. So this logic you have is due to correlation, but, correlation is not the same a causation.

I think you're reading that wrong, the density drops with increasing temperature once 4 degrees centigrade has been reached. Meaning it's volume increases by the same measure.

No, because the "water level" is the level of the water, not the total volume of the whole system.

You don't measure from the base to the top of the ice cube, you measure from the base to the top of the water.

yes, it will. place 100 grams of water in a container large enough to measure the difference. otherwise the water will just spill out and you'll be left with the difference (assuming you're able to extract exactly 100 grams of uranium out of it).

are you just pretending to be stupid?

>similar to when you freeze boiled water.
Trivially wrong.

Frozen boiled water floats on water, and therefore is less dense than water.

Underated post.
So many 2k faggots ITT!
Ty for the smile user

> trying this hard to troll

No, it won't.

When you add the ice cube, the water level rises as water is displaced. The volume of the water displaced multiplied by its density gives the mass of the water displaced. Archimedes' Principle tells us that this is equal to the mass of the ice cube. As a result, when the ice cube melts it simply becomes more dense and disappears into the water.

Interesting to think about.

the molecular structure of ice is less dence than water... the answer is it will stay the same. dont be a dumbshit. learn some science fucker

>ice is heavier than water
ON WHAT FUCKING PLANET?
hurr-durr, it's the same matter frozen or liquid
where does the new weight come from?
does molten steel weigh more than cold steel?
try weighing a frozen steak, then thaw it, weigh it again, cook said steak, enjoy last meal, then, please, kill yourself.

That's a good thing to point out, as its probably the reason some people think different things here.

The 'overall water level' from the start could be interpreted as including the volume of the ice, or it could not.

I guess its one of the reasons these sort of questions somehow seem to generate so many different outcomes.

volume isn't the question, it's a question of the total mass of the system. mass doesn't change. but to answer your question, ice + ice will take up more "space" because ice is less dense than water, which means an overall larger volume.

You have it the wrong way around. You are confusing weight with volume. Water has a density of 1 which means that 100 g equals 100 ml, so weight is "equal" to volume, but that is not the case with other materials.

Obviously you have never tried the experiment. Because if you boil out all impurities the ice will become neutral in buoyancy. This is an experiment I've done when i was in grade school and have repetitive results. Either you are willfully ignorant or you never actually have tried experiments for yourself.

you obviously don't understand science

any item that you forge into a solider mass than it was before weighs more than it did before

want proof?

pour a cup of water on your foot

now freeze a cup of water, drop the huge ice cube on your foot

which hurt more?

the ice, because it weighs more, you idiot

i stand by my original statement, science is never wrong

this is the most inaccurate description of water displacement i've ever read. bravo.

>need to be a certified scientist to melt an ice cube in a cup of water

So you're saying that if I put three of these