Does student loans carry over to the parents if the student commits suicide?

does student loans carry over to the parents if the student commits suicide?

Other urls found in this thread:

studentloanhero.com/featured/what-happens-to-student-loans-when-you-die/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. proceed.

What does it matter if youre dead?

only if the are co signers

Yep. Debt doesn't disappear when someone dies. Somebody has to pay for it.

Unless you're married, have a cosigner or have beneficiaries, your debts die with you.

False. Debt is inherited just like other assets.

are you fucking retarded? your debts and everything don't apply to anyone bless you specifically state so in your will. if I die with a house that I haven't paid off and give my son the house he's responsible for the debt holy fuck you're retarded. you could've just googled this instead of a bunch of retards telling you lies but nah you're too lazy to use google. honestly fuck you man you've made me waste precious time out of my life to explain some pointless shit to you.

speak with a lawyer in your area.

depends on the loan and whether the parents co-signed

>the devil is in the details

>many parents do get stuck paying off loans for dead kids

depends where you live. here in canada, it dies with you
>Canada > USA
>muh freedom

Actually, in most cases, no. When the student dies, the asset that the loan is being leveraged against--the education and continued employment of the graduate--is wiped out, and the cosigner isn't held responsible. HOWEVER, this typically only applies to federal student loans--private student loans aren't bound by the same restrictions as federal ones, and the cosigner would have to pay at least part of the loan back to the private company or bank.

If the student doesn't die, but is permanently incapacitated, or just defaults because s/he's a lazy sack of shit, the debt shifts either to the cosigner or the "estate" or next of kin.

Unsecured debt does.

Only if they were party to it.
Debt collectors would rather you believed otherwise but you have no obligation to pay a decedent's debts unless you were party to it, cosigner, spouse, etc. There are some situations where if you were to accept an estate you would then be responsible for its debts.
I still get collection calls for some dead relatives but it's just shysters buying debt blocks and trying to fleece the uninformed.

Oh geez...

>worries his debt will transfer to his parents

>clearly has no idea how much funerals cost

funerals < student loand

in most cases that is

no, it isn't faggot. it does have to be reconciled with the estate and co-signers are liable. But the children never have to live with the debt of the parents.

>Fucking ignorant morons with no common sense.

How about you just go to a hospital get some help, study for finals then do drugs and relax?

a funeral is going to cost about $20,000.

>even an hero aint free

correct

all others to the contrary are faggots

Average student debt in Murcia is 30k+

>and the cosigner isn't held responsible.

what fucking fantasy island are you living on faggot?

The one where I actually read the terms and conditions before I sign my paperwork, fagtron

The loan paperwork my mom and I signed states that she's held liable for repayment, as my cosigner, in the case of default or delinquency, not death. Because the contract is between me and the loan servicer, she won't be gutted for my death. Neither would my husband, even though he's designated for receivng any assets of mine

Do you actually do research before saying retarded shit on the internet, user?

>cosigner isn't held responsible

if Federal student loan. if private - cosigner is fucked

studentloanhero.com/featured/what-happens-to-student-loans-when-you-die/

My post literally said that after the part where you stopped reading.

>the cosigner isn't held responsible.
>HOWEVER, this typically only applies to federal student loans--private student loans aren't bound by the same restrictions as federal ones
>the cosigner would have to pay at least part of the loan back to the private company or bank.

>About to die
>get 100 credit cards and max them out
>leave all my debt to my high-school bully
Then I get the last laugh

>not even killing yourself is free
I might just join the military or something