Can the Drumpfkins of Sup Forums solve this simple equation and explain it?

Can the Drumpfkins of Sup Forums solve this simple equation and explain it?

Or is it "muh undefined"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo
youtube.com/watch?v=y9h1oqv21Vs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_(mathematics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You seem upset about something. Do you need a hug from mommykins.

>avoiding the question

Drumpfkins, everyone
lmaoing at your life right now

the answer is 1. if u get this wrong u probably didnt pass 7th grade algebra

=1
math teacher here.

Then I strongly suggest getting out of your profession you absolute moron.

unless you are retarded

Wait I just started thinking
=9

Your question is unclear, because you're using an inappropriate divisor symbol.

Do you mean:
>(6/2)(1+2)=9
or:
>6/(2(1+2))=1

I ask, because you're clearly awful at math.

Answer depends on the order of operations.

This is why I get paid more than all of you fagvots

>solves equation
>still idiot

This is why we need to outlaw any talk of politics online. Its completely worthless and leads people to judge others and want to kill others for their poorly-formed opinions.

you lost brah, you got beat by deplorable trumpkins

how does it feel?

Then I'm guessing you didn't pass 7th grade algebra.

Order of operations, parenthesis exponents division multiplication addition subtraction

6 / 2 (1 + 2)
6 / 2 ( 3 )
3 (3)

the answer is b8

triggered

that's wrong though, didn't you learn common core?

youtube.com/watch?v=pA8DdkM2Wqo

Best answer

Good luck with that

Thanks Obama!

No, the question is not unclear. There is only one way to read this.
I think you're the one who is awful at math.

Explain

samefag

You're fucking retarded.
Pemdas means multiplication before division, hypocrite.

6 / 2(1+2)
6 / 2( 3)
6 / 6 = 1
parenthesis
multiplication
division

4'th grade fag

2(1+2)
=(2*1+2*2)
=(2+4)
=6

Hey, Shillary Defense Force, bet you think sqrt(x) grows faster than 1/x.
Fucking morons

The problem with this question is between whether this question is 6 / (2 (1+2)) or (6 / 2) (1 + 2), which would give an answer of 1 and 9 respectively. I would say the first is correct despite order of operations because the 2 is "grouped" with the parenthetical addition expression, and should be evaluated first. The arguement for 9 would be that order of operations lists multiplication and division at the same level of importance, so you would evaluate the division expression first, going left to right.

This isn't about math though, it's about syntax. It's a syntax which has changed (slightly) over time. That's why we have more than one way to signify division.

Also

Actually dipshit division and multiplication are done in the order in which they appear, same with addition and subtraction.

US education LUL

That's some next level autism, what the hell are they teaching you kids these days?

this

The answer is 9. This is not up for debate.

Order of operation givs the same precedence to multiplication and division. Sorry buddy...

This can't be real

And the syntax is explicit. Even when using / for division, if there's no parentheses, the numbers aren't grouped in the operation. Dumbass.

Which is why they're done in the order they appear. Of course, that's also we we changed division like I said here:

The answer is 1 check my pic for more info you stupid fucks

You're right, when extending the rules to include that they should be evaluated in the order they appear, it's no longer ambiguous. That's a fairly new rule though, that came with the advent of programmable computational systems. So, if you understand the history of mathematics, it becomes ambiguous.

omfg Sup Forums is full of tards, go ask /sci/

(6/2(1+2)) = 1
Fucking idiots

left to right
P (1+2)= 3
E
M/D 6/2=3, 3*3=9
A/S

6/2(1+2)

sstart by parentheses

6/2*3

Then, from left to right

I totally get where you're coming from. It's just that I personally see a difference between 6/2*(1+2) and 6/2(1+2), but maybe I'm a retard who learned something incorrectly. Regardless, it's a stupid fucking question and OP is still a faggot.

:^)

Niggers!

We are past that. We've been past that. This is nothing "new". It hasn't been new since Newton's era. Computers have nothing to do with it.

We can all at least agree that op is a faggot

> personally see a difference between 6/2*(1+2) and 6/2(1+2)
>maybe I'm a retard
maybe

6÷2(1+2)
6÷2(3)
3(3)
GG no ree Shillary

That's why infix is obsolete.

No wonder you got 9 when you input it wrong, you retard.
It's not 6(2 + 1)/2, it's 6/2(1+2)

Go to youtube, search for "minutephysics order of operations". Watch video, learn something, and stop making threads like this.

Or just click this fucking link.
youtube.com/watch?v=y9h1oqv21Vs

Entering this into Google
> 6/2*(1+2)
gives me "9".

I calculated 1...

define "we"
We love to pretend Math is universal, but there have always been regional discrepancies.

Standards mathematical computation for computers is actually pretty recent.

Also lick my ass you kike Hillary fuck

You do that when there is like an 'x' between the parenthesis

the mistake everyone is making is they are multiply 2(1+2) then dividing /6 when it's
>6/2(1+2)
>6/2(3)
>3(3)
>9
pemdas goes left to right

It depends on the notation. This notation says: "6 divided by 2 multiplied by the sum of 1 and 2." This is 9 if you see 2(2+1) as 2*(2+1). If you don't, it's 1.

Those are equivalent, if you apply the distributive property.

Standards for humans are not recent. Learn some shit.

it's not 1. Math is not an opinion.

Does it fucking matter either way?

When are you ever going to encounter a question like this outside of a fucking meme?

When you are a programmer you do a lot of algebra and boolean logic

I'm a math teacher, it's 9
Now go back to school

Any adult person who struggles with this problem even slightly, need to kill themselves.

I forgot to add something. Certain notation, for instance some computer programs will see "a/b(c+d)" as "a/(bc+bd)". It depends on the notation as I said.
In normal arithemtic, yes. In some CAS, no.

2(2+1) = 2 * (2 + 1)

The fuck else would that be? If you say

>six halves times the sum of three plus one

you're retarded because it's equivalent

That's because they're not programmed to reflect human math standards that have been around forever and expect explicit definitions. It's a limitation of the programming library rather than adhering to human standards.

> some computer programs will see "a/b(c+d)" as "a/(bc+bd)"
like when?

Ill bite.
6÷2(1+2)=
6÷2(3)=
3(3)=9
Unless I am missing something. Which knowin /b I very likley missed the joke.

Standards for humans have context. This is pragmatic computation which is only relevant to machines.

Math has standards and pemdas is a poorly defined one. This obscures most fundamental underlying properties. All operations have parentheses otherwise you end up with ambiguity.

But humans typically cared about context. Computers, however, don't.

Keep slurping draino you trump lover

C using the standard library and Java using the standard library IIRC. Try it out on ideone. I would, but I'm on my phone right now.

Depends on the compiler.

If it's machine code, you're only feeding in one instruction at a time so you choose.

the multiplication is being done through use of parenthesis, thus it trumps over the division. Sorry buddy....

Pemdas isn't the only order of operations and it doesn't even work like that.

Not in every computer program. It boils down to notation in the software you use. The most prevelant gives 9.

Some CAS programs sees 6/2(1+2) as 6/(2(1+2)). Which is why it boils down to notation. There is a whole wiki summary on notation of different division symbols if you would like.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_(mathematics)
Just see the wiki article on it. I know Wordmat does it.

Just to clear things out. The symbol used in the OP picture should definitely never be used. It's stupid.

tried it in js and it won't execute, things 2 is a function when functions aren't even supposed to start with a number. js is a garbage language

var result = 6/2(1+2); console.log(result);
VM437:1 Uncaught TypeError: 2 is not a function(…)

It's fake

That's exactly what I said you fucking dumbass

Anyone who doesn't see that it's 1 should reconsider their existence.
Fucking hell, Sup Forums is stupid.

>2 is not a function

Holy fuck did you just your CS degree from your local community college? No language would understand the fuck it is you're trying to do. And it shouldn't.

Try 6/2*(2+1)

Are you fucking stupid? We're not computer programs. Programming languages/compilers don't necessarily adhere to mathematical standards. It's a holdover from the memory saving days. If you want your program to evaluate your math correctly, YOU need to translate it into a form explicit enough for the compiler to understand. They don't understand logic statements either, unless translated and made explicit. That's literally what a programmer does; works around the quirks of a language to get from "human code" to machine code. Math is not a programming language. You cannot enter mathematically correct statements and have the compiler understand it every time. There are gigantic math libraries that attempt to facilitate this process because of this problem. Try taking a derivative using any standard library without defining a variable. FUCKING TRY IT.

nah i make 82k as a java developer. functions cannot start with numbers so they should be able to understand imo but clearly they don't.

literally 9

Pmdas
Perentesis then left to right.

Not the guy you're replying to but you're a fucking retard. You don't write it as 2* (2+1) when programming. Why would you want to use ambiguity

6÷2 is 3
1+2 is 3
the answer is 3 because it doesn't say ti add it

6 ÷ 2 (1+2)
6 ÷ 2 (3)
3 (3)

>you're a fucking retard
calm down there tiger
>You don't write it as 2* (2+1) when programming
you can if you want it compiles
>Why would you want to use ambiguity
just trying to see what they can do I never do any real math at work I make payment systems and do full stack development and at most i find myself adding a few numbers. PEMDAS never comes into play. I am typically doing boolean logic.