Does not compute.
Overrated hack, tbh fam.

Is true
Back in the day
Not now though

Salem's Lot was alright.

>2016
>still reads books
you know people laugh at you when you leave right?

Wizard and Glass or whatever. The one with the magic tiger.

Apt Pupil

Going to throw "Needful Things" & "Tommy Knockers" out there.
Love Dreamcatcher though, obviously it's the best book/movie combo they ever did with his books

>reading stephen "fuck my wife, take my life" king
>not reading true literary kino

The Stand.

Popular to say he's a hack, but untrue and mainly coming from neckbeards enthralled with PK Dick.

Lost his way in the 90s but he's come back strong. His early output is excellent. His directorial abilities are, uh, lacking, though.

Dumbest comment I've read in awhile. Kys

you got good taste

Take my picture, put a #lol, and tag all of your faggot friends on MySpace with your iPhone.

That's "The Wind Through the Keyhole". Same series though.

shut up old man and stop using "kys" unironically

Check'd
Tommy Knockers, tbh, captures what I like about Stephen King - he has an amazing ability to capture minor details, incorporate them into a story, and make it feel real.

patrician user, tommyknockers is one of the ones that consistently creeps me out

Lisey's Story turned me off for awhile.
Duma Key drug me back in...
What have I missed the last 10 years?

They are all complete shit except Dolores Claiborne and maybe - MAYBE - Thinner

I'll go with The Stand. Classic good v. evil. Great cast of characters that you really felt for. Dreamcatcher had its moments, though. He painted very creepy imagery- especially the part with the animals all walking through the forest.

Bag Of Bones
Gerald's Game
Lisey's Story

Currently reading 11/22/63, so far so good.

When did everyone start saying fam that's nigger speak

Bag of bones is the only book that gave me the anxiety/tight stomach feeling you get while watching a scary movie
The other 2 are the absolute worst.

Just finished 11/22/63. Fantastic book. Just started reading the stand now

I'll go on the record saying EVERY movie based upon a King book sucked ass. I did enjoy some of the ABC miniseries adaptations, but King was directly involved. Mostly, The Stand and The Shining. Heresy to say, but I hated Kubrick's The Shining. I know there were technical limitations that precluded good topiary scenes, but it wasn't just that. Jack Nicholson was a terrible Jack Torrence. He looked like he was about to pop his cork right out of the gate, and the book character was a mild mannered guy who was fighting past demons, but doing his best to be a good father and husband. Nicholson looked like a serial killer in the whole movie. The "transformation" really didn't happen. Fuck that movie. And I'm a huge Kubrick fan.

Dark tower series, you flamboyant homosex

Bag of Bones was great, and I can see your point. It did have that feel. For me, Salem's Lot scared the shit out of me. I was 13, reading it alone, late at night... fuck.

M. O. O. N., That spells WRONG

The Stand gets a whole 'nother dimension when you read the Dark Tower series

This nigger gets it
Dark tower series all day long.

Anyone else not looking forward to a nigger Roland?

yup

Langoliers was my shit.

Needful Things.

i kinda like "The Drawing of the Three" but its part of a series... the 2nd in... so fucking interesting... not as deep anal detailed as his others. Interested to see what others have posted

I wasn't thrilled with Flagg's role in Dark Tower...but I really dug the priest from Salem's Lot and the connections to the Hearts in Atlantis story "Low men in yellow coats". Ted Brautigan was awesome.

its wrong on so many levels, it completely screws up the Susanah story line and it just doesn't even come close to anything in the book

However, I like Idris and I'm ager to see what they do with the story line (AKA how bad are they gonna fuck this up for me!!)

I dont care who they get for Roland, as long as as its done well. His movies tend to have a Lifetime Network feel, Dark Tower HAS to go big

ikr

I hope you get deported or go extinct when trump takes office

wizard and glass is dark tower... no sure that keyhole is same series?

Nope. King always envisioned Roland to be Clint Eastwood from his old western days. Clint's son should have gotten the role. Look at this fucker. He's like a clone of his dad.

Misery was another good book, the movie was pretty good....

Still cringe in horror at the ankle break scene

Any of you gents enjoy the Dome book?
I've caught the marketing bug on that one, but have been readin a lot of non-fiction....wanted some insight

Yup. Even that title, still makes my skin crawl.

did you the like the Storm of the Century?

It's Idris Elba... Already filming

When Dt turns love story in book 5 +/- it really turns me off.

Drawing of 3 was best... haven't read 7 yet..

Under the dome has like a locked room murder mystery feel to it. I enjoyed it as one of the "modern" King books

Lets be honest fellas (ka-tet) Eastwood was the only Roland.. and he's too old now

Maybe his son, one day

The first three pages are Roland saying he's going to tell what's his name a story and the rest of the book is that story. No joke.

5 was ok, 6 is terrible, 7 is epic

Not so much. In fact, I barely remember it. The Langoliers would have been great, but their special effects budget sucked. But that aside, casting was great, and it did have some chilling moments. Bronson Pinchot was an amazing Craig Toomey.

interesting...
What else are you reading?

Ever hear of Thomas Ligotti ala Teatro Grottesco?

Longoliers was such a good story that the lack of budget, rare as it seems, was overshadowed by the plot!

Picked up the stand but got busy at work

Any recommendations?

ok... going to stick it out... just finished songs

Nicholson played a great two faced abuser. You are bad and your opinion is bad, you should feel bad.

what the fuck?

wow

reminds me of wolves of the calla where the entire book is gay vampires

For anyone who hasn't read Dark Tower, King says every book, every story, everything he's done is about the Dark Tower story on some level. And, when you read it, all the pieces fall into place. As said, a lot of his old characters pop up in it. In fact, Stephen King wrote himself into the story. An excellent chapter.

yes, i remember that page... lol. Corney but such an epic series (not finished)

Read the Stand... hopefully the restored version from the 90s where he put back in a lot of the stuff the editors yoinked out in the first version. It's a long read, but my favorite.

I have a side indulgence in fantasy and spent the last year smashing out Raymond Feist's "Magician" series. I really enjoyed it. I found that series because I read "Faerie Tale" which is kind of a horror novel.
Ive heard of Ligotti, but never read.
Have you read any Anne Rice?

Going off topic from Stephen king, a book i always wanted a movie from was Lucifer's Hammer... Goddamn I love tgat book. If you havent read it, then read that shit pronto

It's a great story though. Without spoiling it has a very dreamlike feel but Is still tied to their reality. I don't remember why but I remember the way he wrote the radio tower scene really moved me.

Dude, it's soo detailed. I read through the gas station in the beginning feeling like I read a short story. Like a work briefing.

Think i'll pick that up before I got back to Roland for 6 and 7

Yeah, OK, it's just me. Nicholson did NOT look like he was about to kill Ullman in the first scene. He definitely did NOT look like he was about to hit Wendy and Danny long before the got to the hotel. In fact, he was just a wonderful doe-eyed angel until the Overlook got to him!

Jesus Christ...

Also those mini series were god awful. King's embarrassing mini series adaptation of the shining plus his unappreciative behavior when kubrick fixed his dreadful book in his film adaptation completely turned me off from king forever.

YOU HONK MUH FUH

The Dark Tower graphic novels are great. Anyone who enjoyed DT novels should buy all of these.

None of the 3 you mentioned. horror lit is new to me... I read a clive barker but it was clearly like a Michael Bay film... looking for truely moving horror with excellent word play!

Should I put Rice on my list?

yeah needful things... such a simple premise, done really well.

>tfw Trump is Leland Gaunt, making you a deal, to give you just that perfect [xyz] you always wanted, for a small price to be exacted later... kek

I read that not long after The Stand. I was on an apocalypse kick. Ever read Alas Babylon? 1950s post-nuclear story. Short, but a good read.

Carrie, I love things like Carrie, Chronicle and Akira

True. It would be hard to cast someone who was too similar to Eastwood, I think Elba is a good actor, and I can see him doing a western, he has been shitty good guys and professional symoethicic bad guys with Luther and stringer bell, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief about him being a black.

He was good in Thor.

What are you talking about faggot. He played a mentally ill person well. Jack Nicholson isnt you he isnt a pussy. Get over it. He was good.

should i finish the Dark Tower srs before i pick this up?

I'm moderately jealous... I had to wait for 5, 6, and 7. It felt like an eternity in between them.

Son, there's better ways to come out of the closet.

interesed to see how hollywood will fuck up the series

One guy I think could pull it off, and that's Daniel Day Lewis. Not that it matters at this point anyways.

Yeah, what about On The Beach?

no doubt, well said.

Elba is an excellent actor but we need a true stoic cowboy for roland. We don't even delve deep into his character until (1) he loses a giner (2) blaine the monorail

get the fuck off of Sup Forums, nigger

wind through the keyhole was released in 2012 but it's still part of the Dark Tower series.

Clearly you never read the book. Even Kubrick can fail. Even if just once.

You may have heard of some of the movies "Interview with a vampire" "Queen of the damned"... All Anne Rice. The novels are a little more of a drama series with a horror (vampire) setting but I read almost everything she wrote like I did with King and have no regrets

i know i stopped all king.. moved to Clancy and Grishom until wolves came out. Susanna was so fucking boring tho

>On The Beach
Never read it. heard it's excellent.

dude.

dude.

perfect.

DDL is absolutely ideal. King himself would need to send the invite though. Let's hope it happens before either die

Since I was born in the digital age, and not the pulp and fountain pen age, I don't need to read. All the stories worth knowing are made into movies. The only King movie that was any good was shawshank redemption. Clearly not much of an author.

ok, not sure how i missed it

did wizard, then susanna, wolves and stopped

Huge Stephen King fan here. Reading Different Seasons rn. Apt Pupil is hardcore.

Chris Pine could pull off the LOOK of Roland, but someone would have to teach him acting first.

the ritual of chud in stephen king's IT was pretty awesome. reminds me of lavos's arrival in chrono trigger.

Ohh, I get it... you read comic books... SORRY. GRAPHIC NOVELS... on your phone. So edgy.

Get that shit, they made Two films based on it, one with Gregory peck, and the other in the 80's i believe. Both are good imo.

Also if you havent read them, One Second After and One Year After... Pretty much anything by William Forstchen

ok.

Yeah, you're right those movies have a lot of drama... which could translate well into lit.

I need to start with lovecraft, honestly.

Read any? Starting point recommd'tns?

It was an ok movie adaptation. I think 1408 was the most accurate translation from book to movie. Obviously its not a full length novel but i think the story was expressed wonderfully and John Cusack was perfect for Michael Enslin. Definitely not his greatest story/novel, but greatest movie adaptation.

Are you me? Not that Grisham is underrated but I feel like I can't have a conversation about his books with anyone under 40

If he could shut the fuck up and be stoic, yes-- for sure.

Roland felt very old to and slend to me in the books however.

just me?

Also, try Skeleton Crew and 4 past midnight.