Been wanting to get into hip-hop lately. What are some classics, Sup Forums?

Been wanting to get into hip-hop lately. What are some classics, Sup Forums?

>pic related (what I'm listening to right now)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/saintcrar/shock-wave-saint-c-trymetrev
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's a good place to start
If you enjoy it go through all of Kanyes discog in order
Earl Sweatshirt, Danny Brown, Kendrick, and Death Grips are some current artists talked about here a lot that you can try
Just kind of depends on what hip hop you like

I want to see where this thread goes, I know what will be posted here but maybe reading this they will whip out something that isn't Spammed for once and worth listening to.

Also busdriver

yeah do what said and go through Kanye's back catalogue. check out some Jay Z classics, Outkast (aquemini and atliens), biggie smalls (born to die), three 6 mafia (mystic stylez), MF doom, madvilain (madvillainy)

A tribe called quest
Gorrilaz

nostalgia 64
live.love.asap
acid rap

Jay-Z is pretty entry-level. Wu-Tang's first two albums are a good place to start too.

I'll throw in that Freddie Gibbs album "Pinata". That album is one of the best hip hop releases in recent memory.

Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin'
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Scarface - The Diary
Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Artifacts - Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Deltron 3030
Del tha Funkee Homosapien - No Need For Alarm
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner
Three 6 Mafia - Chapter 2: World Domination

Buddy I have a huge guide if you're any interested.

I made it a few months ago. I've been listening through it myself.

Kendrick, Snoop Dogg, Rhyme Asylum, Slaughterhouse, Kid Cudi, Pre Recovery Eminem, Bliss n Eso, Black Hippy, Hopsin, Krs one, Daddy Kane, Horseshoe Gang, Nas, No more Kanye need mentioning, Jay Z in his day, (Find out who you like more)B.i.g or 2pac, Tech N9ne...
Like most hip hop listeners im to stoned and cant be bothered to continue.. Watch the Art of Rap. Pretty good as a basic intro to rap and hip hop.

>Hopsin
>Pre Recovery Eminem

Delete the first and switch to 'pre encore eminem' and you got a pretty good selection.

(Also fuck it I'm posting my guides)

Vince Staples

Ill change to pre pound syndrome, ill always give him knock madness. Hopsin tho because hes a self made inspiration

And there is nothing in this world like Relapse.
Thanks tho

>Thanks tho
NP Senpai.

Good balance of good stuff and whack shit. But most importantly some shit ive never heard so thanks again!

>so thanks again!
No problem, friend.

Just curious tho, what's the 'whack shit'?

soundcloud.com/saintcrar/shock-wave-saint-c-trymetrev

Im sorry i just dont like some of ya shit. And i dont think the bro needs to bombarded with all this whackness.

>question dodging

Nice.

>not checking the sticky

Is the slim shady LP on there?

Honestly it's best to find what you like and branch off that OP. Long.live.asap was the first rap album that I really got into then I listened to tyler, chance, and gambino. If you find something that you like it's pretty good to make a radio station off of it to find more artists that you don't know about. Also look up flying lotus, thundercat, and joji those guys are dope

2014 forest hills drive should be on there

No but MMLP is on the 2000s

Cole is fairly regularly shit on on here so nobody wanted him on the charts (others chose the albums)

Different user here but imo the chart has a lot of fluff and albums I consider to be just OK. Here's a chart I just marked up with gold being absolute must-listens and green being equally amazing but not necessarily game changing.

I'd say that's a fair critique.

As I was making it turned into being less about 'essential' and more about being a 'taste test' of everything hip hop has to offer.

I'm going through the albums myself, (I marked others I already listened to but I'll be giving them a re listen to)

Forgot to mark Aquemini.

That's good too.

Drake
kanye
travis scott
J cole
Kendrick lamar
Run the jewels
Danny brown
Nas
Yg
Freddie gibbs
You are now like everyone else in this shit board

seconded

I know you asked for classics, but here's some artists that I enjoy.

Aesop Rock
Astronautalis
Atmosphere
Brother Ali
Cecil Otter
cLOUDDEAD
Dem Atlas
Dessa
Doomtree
Grieves
Hail Mary Mallon
MF Doom
P.O.S.
Sage Francis
Sims
Themselves
Why?

Illmatic!!! There is a reason why many consider it to be the best hiphop album, at least from that era of hiphop

Good Kid MAAD City if you want something newer

If you like College Dropout, I highly recommend listening through Kanye's entire discography in order.

Aesop Rock
Viper The Rapper
Lil Ugly Mane

Three 6 Mafia - Mystic Styles
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
Danny Brown - The Hybrid