AOTY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D6KFBFg5q1Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>better score than hospice

man this album is going to get memed the fuck today. unfortunate since it's unironically my AOTYSF

lMAO THIS GUY SACRIFICED HIS WIFE JUST TO GET AN 9.0 FOR SLAM POETRY
I AM DONE WITH PITCHFORK

Pitchfork: "Becoming a Widower" - 9.0

is it the best thing he's done since the glow pt 2?

nice consecutive double dubss

definitely not. It might be my second or third fav ME release but it can't touch Mount Eerie

checked

this will always make me laugh

fuck Phil Elverum the wife killer and all his shills

dubs and Fantano gives it a 10

>Pitchfork

Really? That seems way too high. Who the fuck even listens to them anymore? They peaked years ago.

BTFO

DUDE MY WIFE LMAO

I don't understand. Where in the review does it explain why the music is a 9 as opposed to any other score? Oh wait I forgot, the number is completely arbitrary, and only relates to how hard they're currently trying to shill the artist.

guys be nice to phil :(

digits

Don't bully Phil.

It's good

This

However keep this in mind, and this goes to EVERYONE: those who make mean comments about Phil and his motives having absolutely never lost someone close to them.

Either that or you have but you are a heartless bastard who thinks his grieving process should be the universal standard. If that's you then I have no hope for you.

Look I feel really bad for Phil. Death is the hardest thing to go through, but come on.
The lyrics sound like they were written by someone writing lyrics for the first time. The instrumentals are very poorly mixed, the drums sound cheap and tacky. The guitar playing is just not good.
Can someone explain to me the appeal of this?

this but unironically

Microphones / Mount Eerie power rankings.

10/10 albums:
1. Mount Eerie
2. The Glow Pt. 2

9/10 albums:
3. Clear Moon / Ocean Roar
4. Lost Wisdom
5. A Crow Looked At Me
6. No Flashlight
7. It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water
8. Sauna
9. Wind's Poem

8/10 albums:
10. No Flashlight
11. Don't Wake Me Up
12. Dawn

An album hasn't moved me like this in a long time

kys

FOR MY THEME SONG

You have bad taste in sound my guy

MY LEATHER BLACK JEANS ON

*blocks your path*

He is letting us into his life and see his grieving process. It's not pretty and it feels voyeuristic. Yet there's beauty.

oh shut the fuck up. I have lost someone close to me and at the same time I realize this is Sup Forums. fuck off to reddit, faggot.

Having said that, I haven't listened to this because it seems like too much to dive into at the moment. I've heard the first song and heard the rest of the album is similar so I want to be in the right state of mind...maybe a rainy day off when I can just lay around in bed. I like Phil's music a lot so I want to listen to it correctly.

More like he's letting me into his wife haha nu male cuck

You're trying too hard to hard to follow some sort of anti-code that you think this site has.

I'm honestly so excited for this
It seems like it's not gonna sound like their other stuff, which is an exciting prospect.

Do not tell me to shut up. Have you seen the comments I have on here? I don't care if it's just an imageboard. Absolutely deplorable statements.

I would switch around most of the 9/10 albums and not rank A Crow, but otherwise this is dead on.

I was born with glass bones and paper skin. Every morning I break my legs, and every afternoon I break my arms. At night, I lie awake in agony until my heart attacks put me to sleep.

I wish I could convey how hyped I am for this

Move Clear Moon/Ocean Roar, Winds Poem and Sauna to 8 and Dawn to 9 and you're good.

>heh this is Sup Forums where all the bad kids are gotta keep up the act

I haven't heard anything from Phil except The Glow Pt. 2 (and it's one of my favourite albums) and I kinda wanna check this one out. Should I listen to some other projects in preparation.

Can someone give me a quick bogpill on who Phil is?

>As you can imagine, my medical bills are extremely high, but luckily, I'm able to keep myself alive by selling... albums

I do really like this album though.

Not in preparation, no. But do listen to Mount Eerie, the album. After that, venture off on your own.

Did you just say you want a quick crowdown?

is this benji all over again?

boring ass music overrated because "muh emotions, muh feels" ?

that picture hurts to look at.
I'm guessing that's the back cover? Been waiting on my preorder to arrive and now I don't want to look at it

oh did his wife die? i haven't checked in in awhile, like since he wrote that sad thing about having a sick wife and no money

Yeah god forbid a piece of art elicits an emotional response. What a ridiculous notion.

what will you do if you see someone wearing this at a mount eerie show?

Yes it is. There's an insert with some pictures but I won't spoil them. If you've heard the album then one of the images is utterly heartbreaking to look at.

My grandma died a while back, she couldnt talk at all in her final week or so. But she was able to write vague sentences and the words on this back cover look exactly like the way she wrote at the hospital. Just wooshy flowing and barely legible. I still have the papers she wrote on, they mean a lot to me.
Sorry for the meaningless little story. Thank you Phil for putting it all out there.

Pitchfork actually did it. They gave a rock record that isn't explicitly political BNM.

Mount Eerie is lucky that all the major players in hip hop blew their album loads last year, because it's the only reason p4k is giving rock music the time of day.

It's not meaningless. Thanks for sharing that. My sister died last year. Family isn't the same and never will be. I don't think there has been a single day where I haven't thought about it. We used to talk every day over text.

I wouldn't call Mount Eerie "lucky" right now honestly.

I'm worried this is going to be some Wildflower-lite shit. This coming from a big fan on Plastic Beach

It's the honesty of his lyrics that are captivating. It's all about the feeling with everything you mentioned. The lowkey drum track tones just hit the emotional center for me. The layers of acoustic guitar that reveal themselves with multiple listens are really beautiful and compliment the lyrics well.

I'd say instead of listening more intently, listen with more feeling and heart and from a place of empathy. Should help

this is a really rockin album dude

Well thank you, Sup Forums isn't the place for emotion so I'm glad I didn't get my ass chewed.
We were close (about as close as a grandmother/grandson can probably get realistically) but I couldn't imagine losing my sister. My condolences to you and your family.
I like the part in My Chasm where Phil says something about being a container of stories for the rest of his life, that's so beautiful and true when dealing with death. "This is your life now".

This guy can't even sing in tune and it gets a 9. Wew.

>This guy can't even sing in tune
?

Wow I suddenly LOVE this album

this album pretty much exists outside the scope of phils other work aside from like 2 lyrical references to his past work. part of the weight of this album will come from how much you care about phil, i can see myself not liking it were it from an artist i wasnt fond of otherwise

The fact that it sounds amateurish and kind of embarrasing at times makes it even more tragic. He doesn't care about anything, he's just letting everything out, sincere feelings, raw unfiltered expression. This is the most true form of art.

>I've lost someone too and that gives me a free pass for being an edgelord asshole

Did anyone notice that it seems like Phil tries to have a song that sounds like the Moon on most of his records?

>waiting for failfork to give it a 7.5...

>7.5
That's too generous.

>hospice is fake cancer music
Hahaha you're all fucking newfags.

good argument

Thanks. It was easy to notice really. Since none of you seem to know what the fuck you're talking about.

guys im a total pleb but isnt good instrumentals an important part of an album too?
this album is so bland in terms of instrumentals it hurts

You caught me, I was being hopeful.

we understand cancer real well now that you're posting

>trap beats
>hidden anti-Trump messages
>hidden black power messages
nah, p4k's gonna love it

I thought you understood it thanks to the mt eerie album?
Oh I see you never understood it to begin with you're just hiveminding a muh feels album just like the fags did with hospice before you. This is just the same shit thematically recycled. Not saying this sucks or hospice sucks but you're acting the same stop acting like this is a sort of upgrade for you emotionally.

not even chemo will help

how are you this mad over a not very good joke?

Is it even possible to have a proTrump message without lying?

Trips and Fagtano fucking hates it

Ask them politely to take it off.

>Spends an entire review talking about how the album is good
>gives the album a good score

I'm not saying it necessarily deserves that score, but what aren't you understanding?

They didn't even explain the mathematical formula behind the score. What's even the point of being a reviewer if you're just going to give your opinion and not some sort of objective assessment?

Give me an example of a good mathematical formula to evaluate the value of a piece of art.

kek
you made my day man

>not giving a mathematical formula for rating an album

A O T Y
O
T
Y

youtube.com/watch?v=D6KFBFg5q1Y

There is no such thing as objectivity senpai. All meaning and value drawn from a work is simply a relationship between the viewer and the work. Thus, it is unique to that viewer. The same is true for any subject-object judgment.

I'm curious. I can't afford the LP anytime soon, but I've heard the album

I'm about halfway through it for the first time right now.

The main merit I'm getting from it now is that it puts you into this period of their life pretty well, and you can imagine the scenes and the emotions. It's coming across like a coping letter left on her grave.

That said, it's not very good music. The guy isn't a very good singer, frequently is off pitch, and a lot of it just sounds like sing-talking. The instruments are pretty sparse, but not in a memorable way at all. The version I'm hearing doesn't seem very well mixed either, his voice is annoyingly loud compared to the rest of it; that might not be so bad if, like I mentioned, he wasn't such a bad vocalist. This would have been so much more emotional/sad if there was better quality music it was set to.

>I'm about halfway through it for the first time right now.

so you're listening to an album where the PRIMARY FOCUS is the lyrics, while typing posts on Sup Forums.

christ you guys are fucking retarded.

>this is what teenagers actually believe

Are you surprised? Music has just become a background activity. People who actually take time out of their day to only listen to an album are a rare breed.

>dude I'm sad
AOTY

yea hes shown he can do interesting sparse acoustic guitar and vocal stuff on dawn. this is just dull

I paused it after a song to briefly type something and didn't miss any lyrical or musical content. Hardly affected the flow of the album.

What did he mean by this

This would have made a better cover