This honestly makes no sense

This honestly makes no sense

probably feel bad bc his wife croaked

Same reason they gave Blackstar an 8.5 and Vulnicura an 8.6.

what were the circumstances around vulnicura?

literally only cause his wife died, it's so obvious

the album is boring as fuck

Bjork died

its a good album
and they hyped it a lot by interviewing him
and his wife just died
if this doesn't make sense to you you may be retarded.

it makes no sense because this is musically just not good. it's not a proper judgment of the music. this is in no fucking way musically superior to any mount eerie albums that came before, even the shitty ones. look, i like phil and i feel sorry for him but the music on this is written like the kind of stuff i came up with 1 year after i picked up guitar at age 14

u say boring i say flood of tears inducing. tomatoe tomato desu.

>implying Blackstar and Vulnicura weren't at least good if not great, unlike this piece of shit

kek

kek

I swear, Sup Forums is full of contrarian fags that would bitch about blood on the tracks being well received.

>well, hurr durr it only got a 10/10 because of his divorce

major events in people's lives often inspire great art and people who have real life experiences (i.e. not 14 year old virgin basement dwellers) identify with that kind of music more

get over it fags

I just can't take this seriously. I'm not that big of a fan of his other works anyways. This album just feels like he's milking his wife's death. Everything about this whole situation doesn't sit with me in the right way. It just sounds cheesy and contrived to me. Sorry Phil.

fuck... I had no idea...

>if you ever write about bad things in your life, you're just milking it!!!

Sup Forums every one

ok but that album is bad

>I can't read, the post

I think the fault here is that you used the term "no sense" and we're understanding what it means differently
I was viewing the rating as something that transcends the music itself, and it seems like you understand that too.

As for whether the music itself is good and warrants it, eh. I liked it a lot but I see your argument. I don't remember what Sauna got but I think it was better than this. This album is basically his attempt at grieving and trying to make money for his kid.

This album doesn't resonate with the average Sup Forumstard because they're kissless virgins and don't understand what love is and because they're young enough that the only major loss they've experienced is their great great grandma.

If you forget about your waifus, go outside and interact with people, maybe this'll make sense to you some day. It's not cheap to express your feelings about loss nor is it bad to identify with music like this. I get that that's hard when your only experience with loss is when your favourite anime series ends and you spend your free time harassing "professional victims," but I have no problem with people loving this album even if it's not my favourite thing ever.

does anyone have a .flac download link?

fuck off normie
only skimmed through like half this post and i already know it's shit

ITT:

>People have trouble listening and resonating with music that comes from a deep place of inspiration.

Huh what a surprise on Sup Forums, everyone is plebian

>you're just not mature enough to get it, weeb losers!

Fuck off.

it's milking because it will be his first true introduction to Urban Outfitters goers. This album is being shilled beyond logic. It's not good music. Period.

hahaha seriously fuck off. I got laid and lost girls I loved more than Phil faggot ever did or will. Yet, this is still bullshit.

Nice projection

I've had my fair deal of love. yes i didn't have my fucking wife die on me but even so

Look at this from phils perspective
Wouldn't this be incredibly discouraging actually?
Years and years of musical experimentation and growing as an artist and you don't get a lot of recognition anymore, then you release music that you yourself say is "not even music, just chords and bits and pieces recorded with my thoughts" and because of context it is now hailed as your magnum opus, and as music that transcends everything you have previously released?

If i was him i would be like "whats even the point of trying anymore?"

only 18+ itt

Who exactly is "shilling" it? His record company? Uh, okay. Or is he guilty of "shilling" because it's getting good reviews? Should he only release music about loss if it's mediocre and poorly received?

Is he a "shill" for selling his music about his loss? Is it wrong for an artist to want to make a living for his now motherless family?

Can you ever sing about loss without being le shill?

This is an interesting point. I bet if this album wasn't being so heavily covered by pitchfork and other music websites, it would be better received here. Phil just wanted to make a personal record to express his feelings after the death of a loved one, and it's getting blown out of proportion. Just like that concert he held a few months ago. Poor Phil.

Only on this shitty board would not being a 14 year old NEET be a bad thing.

Ya bro I can tell you're a pussy slayer dont worry

Who the fuck called it his magnum opus? I can almost promise you he's not getting upset if people are liking this thing. Why the fuck would he release this in the first place if he was so afraid of people liking this?

>Only on this shitty board
only on this site*
go to reddit if you don't like it faggot

>lelelele reddit

jesus christ can you retards think of any other insult

It's not about people liking it, it's the fact that this receives more recognition and praise than any of his past efforts except The Glow pt. 2 which were all better musically

looks like i hit a nerve, redditor

So, in your mind Phil released this hoping it would receive some praise but that no one would like it better than Ocean Roar or some nonsense?

Do you seriously believe he's sitting there getting upset that this album is well received?

I've seen a lot of retarded stuff on here but this just might take the cake.

No i'm not saying he's getting upset. I think in the long run it will discourage him

Well-deserved.

>oh man my emotional outpour meant something to people and they liked my latest work, that's a bummer better stop making music

why are you reducing everything to 1 dimension before making a post? scared of perspective?

what

you're not using your brain

>gives Pink an 8.9
>gives this alright album a 9

that makes two of us

Yeah they're supposed to hate white music now.

>People getting mad about this preteding pitchfork has any credibility and can be taken seriously even though all their reviewers have the credentials of a starbucks employee
I like the album btw

/thread

I think it's a genuinely great record but will need to sink in more. Some of the songs are amazing off the bat though, like Ravens and Soria Moria. I feel like more listens will make me like it even more.

I'm sure his intention of singing about his dead wife was to get hipster pussy and a pitchfork BNM. Really hit the nail there.

>and only a few months after you died, our counselor died
damn.....

It's raw and bare record. You can feel the loss, confusion and frightful feelings that death brings with it; not to mention the worry Phil must feel raising his daughter alone. So what if it pops up an UO most "normies" will cast it off as sad and probably won't listen to it.

Bjork was going through a break up

The album was full of moments like this that just caught me off guard with how blunt and sad they were.

this line was so blunt it almost made me laugh, came out of fucking nowhere

There is literally nothing interesting about calling an album "shilled" and then ad homineming its fans to be Urban Outfitters goers because, as usual, Sup Forums treats music as a fucking fashion accessory.

I like it a lot

Like it or not, you have to admit it's one of the most honest expressions of grief out there. There's no pretension or pretty metaphors, it's just straight up pain.

It does make sense, but only through the prism that others have pointed out: p4k reviews politics, image, reputation, and hype as much or more than they deal with actual music.

While this album has a sad backstory that you become quite familiar with, some true/harsh emotion regarding dealing with the loss of a loved one, and an undeniably intimate feeling, it is beyond question that the music and most especially the vocals are sub-par. Given the lackluster delivery all around, even with the best of lyrics it isn't so close to perfection as deserving a 9/10, but it makes sense anyway since its p4k, and they're also awarding a beloved indie artist after the death of his wife, building/feeding off the hype of his new album, and possibly also encouraging this level of honesty in other artists with such a score.

>possibly also encouraging this level of honesty in other artists with such a score
this would be nice, i think. i am on my way to loving this album, and it would be nice to see more personal emotion than just generalities in music

They gave Blackstone Before he dided

>it is beyond question that the music and most especially the vocals are sub-par
lmao

Tru desu

I know, Phil is white, and a male

UNBEARABLE

how the fuck do people not understand that phil writes amazing songs about loss? songs that may be simple even at times but really resonate with people because of his honest approach to song writing? the glow pt 2 dealt with one kind of loss. this is just another, from the perspective of a man who found a love again stronger than anything only to lose it to things out of his complete control.

>people have different opinions and i don't like it!!

Do you even know where you are?

If you think they gave Vulnicura a good review because it's about a break up then you're a retard

>it will be his first true introduction to Urban Outfitters goers
No it isn't. The Glow pt. 2 is

You are either a retard or have no shame.

The Blackstar review was out before Bowie's death, though.

what?
why does everyone hate this album I thought it was great

can you honestly imagine shopping to the sound of the glow part 2

The commercialization of music in this way makes me so fucking depressed.

This seems to be a very common criticism, how was it so commercialized? This is an actual question not me being a prick

Pitchfork doesn't make sense. It is literally the ">tfw to deep and intellectual for you" of the music industry.

If you definitely need an online taste-maker RYM is much better.

What do you mean how was it so commercialized?
I'm not sure how it happened, but I can tell that it has happened.

Have you gone clothes shopping in the last few years?
Just take in what's around you.
The hip, trendy stores will play various rap songs. The feminine stores will play current pop music.
I was in a clothing store that was playing a King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard song like a week ago.

It's music designed to be a fashion accessory, the hip stores will play music designed to make you feel cool and urban, the stores where my girlfriend buys her jewelry and shit play pop music either by empowered women (Buy our product and you can be empowered!) or RnB songs by male artists about love and sex (Buy our product and you will be more valuable to the men you find attractive!)

It's just another level of the way modernity treats music as a tool.
Listen to this song to get hype!
Listen to this song to unwind!
Look at any Spotify playlists and you'll see what I mean.

I don't particularly like RnB or pop music, but it's representative of the whole thing that I'm talking about.

shit I thought you were talking about this mount eerie album in particular until I re-read your prevous post but yeah great observation, honestly

Thanks.
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about this album specifically (to be honest I haven't listened to it yet,) but the same might apply to it, too.
I don't think Phil had any intentions to have this album be commercialized when he was recording and writing it, if it even is or has been, I don't really know. If it has, though, it's probably just a result of how the game is played these days.
It's disgusting, but, you know, he has to make money. He has a child to feed. It's understandable, even if it makes me uncomfortable.

I have a lot of respect for him, so that might be colouring my perspective of this, yeah.

Was it? It stars saying that David Bowie has died many times...

Pitchfork review released 7th Jan
Bowie died 10th Jan.

Was it that hard?

The main problem here is that none of you literal fucking retarded idiots understand the purpose of real art. Art isn't necessarily meant to be pretty or appealing to your expectations, it's meant to reach for a truth. This album is true, whether you think so or not is absolutely irrelevant. Phil has made a piece of real art, not a mere album of music you can sing along to and rate with your friends in Sup Forums

Death is real
Someone's there and then they're not
And it's not for singing about
It's not for making into art

So what exactly is this work of art about?

Cremation also saves an average of $10,000 from the life insurance policy payout vs burial which saves nothing from the average minimum life insurance of $10-15,000

it's a reflection upon art you fucking nincompoop

Would you care to quote some lines that illustrate this?

The album is quite obviously about his wife you idiot. It's not about her death though. It's about dealing with her remains. Specifically erasing them. That is the purpose of this album. He may make claims about this albums purpose but the album itself says otherwise.

I think the ones you (?) quoted earlier, as well as the majority of Real Death, is quite obious about this -- not that it's the song's *only* idea. haven't listened to the rest of the album as I'm waiting for the record to arrive.

Spoiler Alert

DUDE TRUMP'S A FASCIST

You're so fucking retarded

Why does that matter? Blackstar is a mediocre album even if bowie is dead.

And it's still 10 times better than this musically

You can't deny it unless you're literally musically illiterate and have never heard music in context with a note before

This. You can defend that the lyrics of this album are good but the music is definitely not.

Even if the lyrics are good, the verse structure of A Crow Looked At Me is sloppy even for Phil standards

>deep place of inspiration
>DUDE WIFE DIED LMAO

You're so fucking trite

Just like Phil

Phil is a single parent and working musician. It's an album surrounded by death. If you really look into how perfect they were for each other you would really understand why he made this.

Maybe it seems a bit shilly at moments, but who cares. The man has made top-tier quality music, and deserves some good fortune.

It's a simple record, it's grim, and while not the best in his catalogue (not even close) he's still great and so is this.

Single parent whose wife died, spends all his nights with a two-year old, the only piece of her left.

>spends all his nights with a two-year old
Yeah after he literally gave her away
>the only piece of her left.
Only because he got rid of all her shit that he couldn't use for himself

Proof that music is subjective

More like the world treats it as a fashion accessory and Sup Forums is just really jaded and bitter about it

>I rated it 5/5 on rateyourmusic

Feels good man