Fucking Normie Jazz

I'm honestly so done with fucking normie jazz enthusiasts. People thinking they can buy "Kind of Blue" or "Mingus Ah Um" on waxtime vinyl and consider themselves a jazz fan. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nK8JlTlhnjw
youtube.com/watch?v=a2LFVWBmoiw
youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4tT-55ZzI
youtube.com/watch?v=OkbwGv3QKQc
youtube.com/watch?v=sCQfTNOC5aE
youtube.com/watch?v=gwaFDFP7m_E
youtube.com/watch?v=hccDJewxIAo
youtube.com/watch?v=UpJ-TBCeqRE
youtube.com/watch?v=voEXwjURNVk
youtube.com/watch?v=KlypvG1oJS4
youtube.com/watch?v=Cx-TxiBi43c
youtube.com/watch?v=8s8rHrLcSts
youtube.com/watch?v=_WacZLqZlKw
youtube.com/watch?v=GIgLt7LAZF0
youtube.com/watch?v=JrwSuy6ZBjI
youtube.com/watch?v=tr72UkaBdtk
youtube.com/watch?v=2oNIU_0YYfE
youtube.com/watch?v=9TxNsuZKtRE
youtu.be/aQUhIu_C31g
youtube.com/watch?v=-6ryVryFnEY
youtube.com/watch?v=RYDGzJDJeDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>being this much of an elitist jazz fag
kill yourself

>jazz in 2017

It isn't Miles' fault all the plebs hopped on his bandwagon. He still produced some of the best albums of all time and that's one of em.

Hmmm, me thinks you own Kind of Blue on waxtime vinyl

haha nice one. why don't you go jerk off your favorite fusion bebop blues ensemble

genuinly curious in some non normie jazz

are you sad user? i feel bad for you honestly :(

foaming at the mouth over a shit genre of music.

Buddy im way ahead of you, I got some bob mintzer playing right now

See:
>The 800 "How to into jazz: x edition!" Charts the jazz community keeps churning out in the hopes of reviving interest on Sup Forums
>the penguin guide to jazz
>rym+allmusic
>BBC's jazz show with Alyn Shipton
>google.com

alright bud. head back to your grade eight band room

I don't know much about jazz. My favorite album is Bitches Brew. Does this make me a normie?

Nope. Just a poseur.

>music elitism

i remember when i was 14 too op

>jazz

>poseur

i'm proud of you, young man. Thank you for making them understand. You're doing a good job.

*plays sax solo in the rain*

You know, kiddo... you remind me of all the cool cats that made this magic happen in the first place.

*winks while smirking*

Don't let me down.

fuck off desu

Thank mr. cooltrane I'll make you and jaez thread man proud

Why do people on Sup Forums complain about Miles and Coltrane so much when if you actually interacted with people irl you would learn the kings of superficial jazz knowledge would be Dave Brubeck and Getz/Gilberto?

Tbf, you could also throw Billie Holiday, Herbie Hancock, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Weather Report, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten/Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Vulfpeck, Snarky Puppy, etc., etc.
on to that list and by the time you're done, you'd have 3/4 of the major jazz artists modern and old listed.
Coltrane, Mingus and Miles are just the guys who get touted online the most so they're easier targets online.

Getz/Gilberto superficial jazz? It's not smooth jazz or jazz pop really. The Girl From Ipanema is a jazz standard and a classic for crying out loud. Please don't tell me that you're one of those purists who dismiss jazz fusion completely.

he said "superficial jazz knowledge" not "superficial jazz"

I don't dislike Gitz/Gilberto. I was just pointing out that's it's probably the most "normie jazz" along with Take Five, which I also don't think is bad.

>hating one of the few close to listenable jazz albums just because it's popular
It's not Mingus' fault he's one of the few jazz composers that actually came close to knowing how to write music.

underrated post, he was wrong about modernism, but was otherwise right in declaring art dead.

>I don't dislike Gitz/Gilberto. I was just pointing out that's it's probably the most "normie jazz" along with Take Five, which I also don't think is bad.
I agree. I also recommend Take Five first to friends who are interested in getting into jazz. On the other hand, So What and Blue in Green are classics, though I'm not sure how other songs work for someone who's new to jazz.
I misread, I'm sorry. When you get so used to ridiculous bait threads, it's no wonder why this happened.

>he said he doesn't know much about jazz
>poseur
ok fag

who cares? jazz is just random noodlin. it's only fun for people who play it and for pretentious wannabes who think they 'get it'

1/10
At least put some effort in.

I am a rock music listening pleb who recently starting listening to Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme. I really enjoyed the latter. How do I properly get into jazz?

i have no idea how to rate jazz

i do like pharoah sanders and alice coltrane and don cherry though
real spiritual stuff

Before you go listening to random acclaimed jazz albums actually familiarize yourself with different eras and movements in jazz, such as early jazz, swing, modal jazz, cool jazz, fusion, third stream, etc. what they are and their implications. This is the biggest problem with jazz discussions on Sup Forums. Everyone just looks at RYM and Scaruffi's list and circlejerks over 5 or 6 albums and created a stigma around Miles and John Coltrane for no reason.

That one jazz tripfag who made that chart a few years ago actually did a good job at explaining them even though I disagreed with some of the albums he picked.

Hmm...so I'll listen to acclaimed works from each era and understand how it's evolved and all.

Freddie Hubbard is the normie filter

>why don't people listen to the most obscure albums in a genre instead of the famous ones

These discussions are so retarded. Theres thousands of jazz albums out there, people don't have time to listen to every single one so they listen to the most popular ones. Be happy they aren't listening to shitty smooth jazz like Herb Alpert and Chuck Mangione.

Curb your autism OP

Good idea, remember to add a lot of charlie parker to that bebop list too fampai

And when people ask: Whos the Jesus Christ of Jazz?

Only one answer will do.

I wish people would look at Scaruffi's list, it's full of super obscure albums no one has heard of. But everyone ignores 99% of the list and just sees the ones they've already heard of and listens to that.

His list is garbage and his writings about jazz are laughable. He's an ok rock critic but he needs to stay the fuck away from jazz.

This one?

I'm pretty sure the ridiculous degree to which he overrates Sun Ra is the reason he's so popular around internet communities like Sup Forums.

That and the fact that he makes stupid lists and oversimplifies everything.

Actually probably the biggest reason is that most of his writings are all easily available online on one website. Makes it easy for people who are too lazy to do any actual digging.

If people are looking for a better collection of critical jazz writings all on one website they should go to Ted Panken's site. It's a goldmine.

do you guys just listen to jazz or actually play it. Because if you guys are being this big of elitists JUST FROM LISTENING you need to be beat with bats holy shit

Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear

Thank me later

Search for "Rudy van Gelder edition" on Spotify, listen to every album that comes up.

The most elitist people are always the ones who don't know how to play an instrument from my experience.

Yeah, generally speaking you can pretty much ignore the opinions of anybody who doesn't play jazz. And it's usually pretty obvious when you read people's comments who plays and who doesn't.

There are exceptions- there are a few good jazz critics who never really played themselves- but not many.

>this thread
More proof jazz is for pretentious fedora tippers

yeah this is true
could you point me toward them
-10/10

Nat Hentoff is the most notable

huhuh, A Love Supreme is your favorite jazz album? i bet you don't even know who Grachan Moncur III is you slovenly neanderthal *trily tip*

If it's his favorite it's his favorite. You're the poser for assigning shitty scene politic value to stuff people call their favorite albums

Jesus Christ, the autism!

can y'all rec an album in the vein of Blue in Green from Kind of Blue? Kinda lowkey, depressed piano jazz.

Yes I can.
youtube.com/watch?v=nK8JlTlhnjw
youtube.com/watch?v=a2LFVWBmoiw
youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4tT-55ZzI
youtube.com/watch?v=OkbwGv3QKQc
youtube.com/watch?v=sCQfTNOC5aE
youtube.com/watch?v=gwaFDFP7m_E
youtube.com/watch?v=hccDJewxIAo
youtube.com/watch?v=UpJ-TBCeqRE
youtube.com/watch?v=voEXwjURNVk
youtube.com/watch?v=KlypvG1oJS4
youtube.com/watch?v=Cx-TxiBi43c

cont.
youtube.com/watch?v=8s8rHrLcSts
youtube.com/watch?v=_WacZLqZlKw
youtube.com/watch?v=GIgLt7LAZF0
youtube.com/watch?v=JrwSuy6ZBjI
youtube.com/watch?v=tr72UkaBdtk
youtube.com/watch?v=2oNIU_0YYfE

Check out the albums
Ballads-John Coltrane
'Round About Midnight- Miles Davis
Ascenseus Pour L'échafaud- Miles Davis
Idle Moments- Grant Green

Anyone into Louis Jordan?
youtube.com/watch?v=9TxNsuZKtRE
Grew up listening to this. Don't know if it's nostalgia but it still feels pretty solid.

He was absolutely insane. I wish he was discussed more on Sup Forums.

The only kind of jazz I like is big band and swing.

Check this out my friend.

youtu.be/aQUhIu_C31g

Why is it always these shitty b8 threads that get a lot of replies but if you make a thread trying to discuss jazz or ask for specific recs it dies with less than 10 replies.

Roland Kirk is top 10 goat musicians, he's not discussed here because he's sincerely patrician. (This is a board for plebs)

youtube.com/watch?v=-6ryVryFnEY
Just listen to this. Like, what's even going on here? This is at the level of Coltrane and Ornette Coleman easily.

Red Clay is a great album

And he was BLIND on top of all.

fuck jazz - it's the only genre where the better you get at playing it, the less money you make. and nearly all jazz shows are fucking sausage-fests. you wanna get good, get paid less, and play to a room full of dudes standing there with their arms folded, thinking to themselves they can either play it better than you, or are critiquing you against all their other jazz favorites.

fuck jazz....

>t. AnCo fan

What would you recommend to someone who says A Love Supreme is their favorite album?

Don't make music your source of income? Simple. You can love music and play for yourself, busk, but to play jazz in the 21st century and hope to make a living is a bit of a stretch.

what about plebs who only buy music matters vinyl?

I think if you are really great at jazz, you could probably make it as a session musician that gets called on time and again by big pop acts.

*cough* George Benson *cough*

My favorite is This here - Cannonball Adderley
youtube.com/watch?v=RYDGzJDJeDI
Am I a fucking normie jazz enthusiasts ?

Who cares? Just continue enjoying such a diverse genre as jazz.

>I don't know much about Jazz
>LOL UR A POSEUR
He qualified the statement, what more do you want from him?