This is what i called the death effect. A loved one of a musician dies and the scores get inflated across the board...

This is what i called the death effect. A loved one of a musician dies and the scores get inflated across the board. This album is worse that his pass efforts by a large margin. At least Skeleton Tree was good even if it did have the same hype effect on scores.

I didn't ask

Yeah this album is terrible. Skeleton Tree is good because Cave was subtle about it. ACLAM couldn't be more blatantly shoving the death thing down your throat
DEAR WIFE YOU ARE DEAD AND I AM SAD ABOUT IT is not how you write songs.

The inability of spectrum warriors to not relate to this album shouldn't keep surprising me but a sperg is born every minute I guess

>This album is worse that his pass efforts by a large margin
THAT IS YOUR FUCKING OPINION. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT AN OPINION IS? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU?

>Implying the purpose of this board isn't to have discussions in which people state their opinions about music

This is what I call the heartless edgy teenager

>not giving out 10s across the boards is edgy
get off it mate.

Yeah this album isn't very good. And this is coming from someone who likes most of Mount Eerie's work, even among the more maligned ones. See Electro-Shock Blues for an actually good portrayal of loved ones dying

>Implying the purpose of this board isn't to have discussions in which people state their opinions about music objectively
FTFY

Still didn't ask

>electro-shock blues
should be called "'last stop: this town' and some other songs"
strawman

MY WIFE IS DEADDDDD

I'm not sure if this is bait and it bothers me and this uncertainty is precisely why we need albums like ACLAM

>I'M A FUCKING IDIOTTTTT

>UNNECESSARY GREEN TEXTTTT

holy shit user stop making posts about this fucking album

>I don't understand greentext

this is an opinion that has never been expressed on this board.

How do people still miss the point of the album and why people are praising it so much? I'm not saying you have to like it either, but bullshit strawmen like this is so tired and off base.

If he had made an album on the same subject, but more akin to his other efforts, people wouldn't have liked it as much. The stripped back, uncomfortably confessional, almost voyeuristic nature of it is what people are responding to. Two years ago Phil made a lyrically opaque, instrumentally dense and sonically experimental album, it's not like that skill just left over night. What he's done with A Crow Looked At Me is a pointed creative decision and its pretty fucking obvious to anyone who's actually familiar with his work.

I have never heard another album do what this does and with such emotionally resounding results. If that isn't the mark of a good album then I don't know what fucking is.

Don't even try with these gutterfucks

>I have never heard another album do what this does and with such emotionally resounding results.
death effect in full display. How old are you to think this has NEVER been done EVER? retarded pitchfork drone.

>The stripped back, uncomfortably confessional, almost voyeuristic nature of it is what people are responding to
I agree, and it is remarkable in those aspects. How intimate it feels to hear his unvarnished conversation w her. But that's what it is mainly: practically talking over bare instrumentation. Even the best lyrics wouldn't make me like the way this album sounds. I would have responded to it more personally if there was a mix of those kind of tracks and some w actual musical merit thrown in. Just one man's opinion.

>Last Stop: This Town
>Ignoring almost every song preceding it

I'll give you the fact the latter half does fall off a bit but those 10 tracks do not only have better songwriting and timbres than the entirety of ACLAM, but covers a much wider and more interesting spectrum of emotions than anything on ACLAM.

I mean, it's sad his wife died but I can't help but look at ACLAM as a mere verbatim reading of an not all that unique anecdote, while Electro-Shock Blues actually tells an interesting story from that experience.

Not him but name one example then. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

This album is kind of weird. Musically I agree that it's not amazing, but that isn't really the point, and Phil tells you that very early on. "death isn't for singing about" or whatever he says. I feel like it's akin to recent Sun Kil Moon in that it feels more like diary entries than songs, and it just so happens that a diary about your dead wife is more enthralling than one about you not liking technology and politics and watching boxing matches. This isn't like a black star or a skeleton tree or whatever other album about death so it doesn't really make sense to compare them on those grounds.
It kind of is interesting to me to think about how I would oercivleve this album differently if I wasn't already a fan of Phil's music and liked him as a person. To see this change in him from someone so in love with the world around him turn into someone mourning over loss is heartbreaking.

This

to be fair phil is a terrible song writer and everybody basically saw this coming when her death was announced

aside from a few songs on the glow pt. 2 his discography is worthless

>Just one man's opinion.
And that is completely fine. What isn't are these dumbass posts with objective statements on this album.

good think this is an anonymous image board for all to share options. Go back to redit if you want a downvote system.

I'm LMAO'ing at your taste.
I bet you havent even listened to Mount Eerie you fuck

I call this the triad of "Interesting concept, uninteresting results"

Sup Forums - A Crow Looked at Me
Sup Forums - Boyhood
Sup Forums - No Man's Sky

regardless of what you think of this album is it at least obvious that is wildly untrue?

>to be fair phil is a terrible song writer in my opinion
FTFY

>aside from a few songs on the glow pt. 2 his discography is worthless in my opinion
FTFY

>is not how you write songs
>t. autist on the internet

ok friend

the album or the side project

thanks mr obvious

>Not him
right..

by next year we'll be having "why did people like this again?" discussions. See Wildflower.

It worked for Arcade Fire.

Give me one album with stream of consciousness lyrics taken directly from someone in the midst of seeing someone they love, begin to and eventually die, making a point of fastidiously documenting the specificities of it that range from the mundane to the devastating, that intentionally forgo metaphor that intentionally forgo metaphor and poetic licence to accurately present the mental state of the griever.

Give me ONE fucking album that does this. The closest thing is maybe Mark Kozelek's recent stuff and even that is not nearly as directed as this.

Album. Ocean Roar/Clear Moon and Winds Poem are fantastic as well though.

>side project
PLEASE go

way to dodge giving an example brah

Idk guys I like it.

Just my opinion tho ;)

>Opinions entirely fall in the realm of the subjective

This meme needs to die. People can have better opinions than other people. It's just harder to determine as opposed to just dealing with facts

Anybody that actually likes Phil Elverum has shit taste in music and lives on their laptop at coffee shops.

Shut the fuck up, I'm still waiting for my LP in the mail.

>implying there is a "correct" way to write a song

Lol

>thanks mr obvious
Except it's not. When you make statements with such a childishly contemptuous tone it comes off as an annoyingly objective statement.

>Not him
>right..
I'm not, mate. There are 17 posters in here.

>intentionally forgo metaphor that intentionally forgo metaphor and poetic licence
That's the entire problem with it. Songs are supposed to be songs, not diary entries. This is literally what makes it bad songwriting. The album is somewhat emotionally impactful, sure, but a musician's job is to make good music.

Definitely the most pleb thing I've read this evening. Which is no simple feat to take home.

Ur a fukin dunce dawg

mount eerie the album has the same method that the glow pt. 2 had but on steroids where he'd randomly insert stupid garbage that took away from the mainly folk sound of the music. at least the glow pt. 2 has a calmness to it, the mount eerie album has nothing going for it. also the female background vocals make me want to kill myself

huh

i don't care what it comes off as, it's blatantly not objective no matter how you look at it

There's no singular "correct" way, but a way to write songs incorrectly is to write lazy, trite, obvious lyrics such as the ones featured on this record.

also i hate using the term folk when describing his music, it's about as folk as camper van beethoven or neil young aka not at all

the album is good idk what ppl are expecting lol grow up

then you definitely didn't read the post that that was quoting

Better than living in your parents' basement listening to harsh noise.

winds poem is better than this garbage so you're wrong. also through the tree pt 2 i probably the most honest he's ever been without going off on unintelligible tangent nonsense. The people that like this album are the type to put pre human ideas at the top of their list.

>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

Every opinion is subjective by definition.

>Songs are supposed to be songs, not diary entries.
WEE WOO WEE WOO. We have the supreme music god who decides what songs should be.
/s If you don't like then that's all it is. Don't dance around it.

>it's blatantly not objective no matter how you look at it
>"everybody basically saw this coming when her death was announced"
sit down, son.

You dont get to decide what is and isnt a song. The lyrics are sung with rythm and are set to melody, ergo it's a song.

Is it unconventional? Sure, but it elicits an emotional response that for many has been quite powerful, that wouldn't have existed if done in another way. That is the definition of good art, whatever the medium.

This argument is like saying free verse isn't poetry. It's fucking inane and time will prove you wrong.

You're been making green text in caps this whole thread, try to not reveal you're assblasted so much, or buy a new keyboard if your capslock is stuck.

I call it the edgy Sup Forums hipster effect. The split second something becomes popular and hard to make a case against, it's immediately "overrated, and shit." See Kendrick Lamar, Death Grips, and Mount Eerie

Then prove it

It's absolutely mesmerising how someone can so blatantly miss the whole point of the album when he's LITERALLY (and I do mean literally) spelling it out for you in every single fucking song.

Wow

>Autism
>The thread

go to bed phill

1. Mount Eerie
2. Glow Pt. 2
3. No Flashlight
4. Wind's Poem
5. Crow Looked at Me / Lost Wisdom

That's the whole fucking site, you retard.

I like how the music sounds :)

Patrician list but I would put lost wisdom higher

Wind's Poem should be #1, such an underrated masterpiece

i would believe you if you didn't put a smiley face.

Wee woo wee woo?

>AshamedCostanzaafterbeepbeepbeep.png

Couldn't have said it better. It's such an easy trope to play off of. "Death albums" are so overused we should write about happiness for a change.

I completely agree

The album was a bore

Major respect towards Phil forever and always I'll love his music, but this new album does nothing for me.

>It doesn't do anything for me/I don't like it
>so it's bad
Stop.

I just think the tunes aren't good. The lyrics are secondary. The tunes aren't good.

Yes, opinions are subjective but they are not absolutely subjective. There is still a common object being shared with subjects that is able to be analyzed and judged. There are some analysis and judgement that is better than others and no, this analysis isn't necessarily "right" in the strictest sense of the word but that doesn't at all conflict with the fact that it can be better than other analysis, whether the better one is more representative of the work or the worse one is more fallacious as to the actual nature of the matter. With arts such as music, this can often be more nebulous than opinions about politics, but the same principle still applies. You simply rejecting things as "opinion" proves nothing b/c your position is mere "opinion" as well. You position extends into a stalemate where nothing can be better than anything else and I think anyone sane would agree that just isn't true in any field

tl;dr
>Opinions are judgements based off interpretations of fact
>Some interpretations of the fact are fallacious(as many of you ACLAM fans agree on, based on your militant responses)
>As such, some opinions can be better than others

>. There is still a common object being shared with subjects that is able to be analyzed and judged.
Not in an objective way
>Opinions are judgements based off interpretations of fact
>Some interpretations of the fact are fallacious(as many of you ACLAM fans agree on, based on your militant responses)
>As such, some opinions can be better than others
But what are the "facts" to begin with if it's something subjective like art?

Nice essay, but I meant prove that your opinion on Phil and his songs was true.

I'd bet my life on the fact that you are under 17

It was a response to the question. Definitely in agreement that the original post couldn't be more wrong if it tried.

Ya Phil's wife just died so he should have made a happy pop record. STFU you ignorant faggot. People write about their own experiences, if you want happy music go listen to Carly Rae

I don't agree with your opinion, but you should know that this is exactly the kind of awesome, in depth discussion that makes Sup Forums worth coming to,

How are the lyrics secondary?? They're like 80% of the album

/thread

Hello, dead man. Sorry you had no taste.

because I'm listening to music, not an audiobook. The music has to grab me first. Then, if the lyrics are good, they'll sink in. If it's really great, then the music will offer up the lyrics in a way that they enhance each other.

>because I'm listening to music, not an audiobook
No, these are songs, not pure instrumental music. A song is 50% music, 50% lyrics. Try again.

>Not in an objective way

No, but there still is an object in question that is shared, the aesthetic value of which is not truly known but able to be discussed through our subjective lens

>But what are the "facts" to begin with if it's something subjective like art?

The content of the music obviously. It's not like any 2 people who listen to a song are listening to entirely different things. What makes the experience different is the opinions the two have about the timbres and content of the song. All I'm trying to say is that in comparing a musicologist's opinion and a 13 year-old girl's opinion on a piece of work, we can probably safely say that in most cases, the musicologist usually has better opinions on music because he has been studying the matter for years.

I can't, but you can't prove your opinion of ACLAM being good is true either. What I'm saying is the fact that we can't 100% prove our opinions doesn't matter, as we can still come up with critique based analysis of the work to reach a conclusion, just like we would do with politics. You dismissing people's contrary as "opinion" pretty much puts us in this useless state where we can't discuss anything

>siren

Go to bed Phil

>If it's really great, then the music will offer up the lyrics in a way that they enhance each other.
That's literally what this album does, and is one of its major successes. The songs are just as bleak and wear as the lyrics themselves. I stand by the idea that these songs would not be as powerful if they were presented in a different way. Sure, the music may not be as immediately gripping as other types but that does not mean it isn't serving a specific purpose.

>object in question that is shared
Yet the object itself is subjective; it is not concrete, there is not always one meaning.
>The content of the music obviously.
Are you meaning a theory analysis? Or plotting the notes on a frequency spectrum? I would agree that is the only objective way to view music but it's not useful at all to music criticism, which is why no one discusses it
>All I'm trying to say is that in comparing a musicologist's opinion and a 13 year-old girl's opinion on a piece of work
Show me an example where both have reviewed the same piece seriously.
>the musicologist usually has better opinions on music because he has been studying the matter for years.
Except not all musicologists agree. Also note a musicologist might lack insight of context that a 13 year old would grasp.

FPBP

*weary

>50% music, 50% lyrics
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't using the right ratios. Sorry, teacher. I'll try to follow the rules next time.

>I'll try to follow the rules next time.
No, I have a feeling you'll continue to be a fucking idiot on the internet