Ask a guy who works in an Emergency Room anything

Ask a guy who works in an Emergency Room anything

Major city, class 2 trauma, Magnet certification, advanced training in most aspects.

Ever get a patient who was too stupid to live but you had to save his life anyway?

whats the weirdest thing you have seen up a person ass

every single day

a shoe. a single vans shoe. How it got there is still beyond me.

>Magnet certification
oooh look who thinks they're special.

>Emergency Room
On an average day, how much shit do you send to to the ICU.

wow a shoe, that doesn't even make sense.

How desensitized are you to feeling anything for junkies and druggies?

Just some extra info, I could give a fuck less about being certified in anything

We have a couple of ICU's and we keep them completely full on most days.

Thats a tricky one actually.

I couldn't have given a fuck about them when I got the job, but I see a certain point of view some others miss from spending extended time with them now.

But others I still couldn't give a fuck about.

What's a Intensive Care Unit? To lazy to Google

what is your job, Dr, nurse, jizz mopper?

a place where patients are cared for intensively. generally this care takes place in a unit as designated for such.

What is missing in your life that lead you to browse Sup Forums?

Nursing assistant/college student
so somewhere in between jizz mopper and nurse

I browsed when I was younger but not so much anymore. tonight is a pretty boring night so i decided to post this

You're a intern?

>What's a Intensive Care Unit? To lazy to Google
Gods waiting room.

I like this reply so much better than mine. Definitely stealing this as a horrible joke that will probably get me written up.

Are you a male or female? Or do you identify as something else

Nursing Assistant is a paying position, but med school requires 4-6 years experience in medicine so I'm stuck working this job for now

Nice, is your name Gabriel?

I identify as a computer. My nouns are .zip and .gif

Stick with it, I hope you finish school and become successful at life

How do I get in without knowing anyone as a brand new RN grad?

Would working a couple years at a rehab or doc office help?

Britbong here. What happens if they don't have insurance? Do you let them bleed out?

I'm a giraffe. "Ka ka," in a bird's voice I said

thanks dude, it's a long road

Was there ever a time a girl came in and she was in shock so you took advantage and fucking fucked the life out of her?

Most emergency rooms are always hurting for staff. Over christmas break I worked 80 hours a week because that's how much overtime there is. I'd say apply and smile pretty. Be willing to move or work somewhere else until a position becomes available

have you ever hooked up with a coworker?

>I like this reply so much better than mine. Definitely stealing this as a horrible joke that will probably get me written up.
I'm married to an ICU nurse, the docs and nurses all call it that because they get sickest patients out of the entire hospital and they need to develop an absolute horrible sense of humor just to be able to make it through their shift on a daily basis.

If you don't have insurance we are legally required to treat you anyway

Can't say I have

Did you just assume my gender?
I don't have the meme for that one

I spend a ton of time there, it's hard not to

Thanks dude. Also one very important question:

Do emergency rooms care if you only work part time? Can you get away with working only 30 hours a week? If I tell them I have to spend more time with my kids or something will it work or would they rather take another nurse on instead?

I've developed a similar sense of humor, but we can save most of our patients so it still sucks to lose one

The number of psych ward beds has been shrinking over the years.

Do you ever get a patient who clearly needs to be in the psych ward, but don't have a bed in any nearby hospital?

If so, what do you do?

You can work per diem or part time. A lot of nurses will work 60+ but if you can only work 30 just apply for a part time position and all is good

there is no psych unit where i work, they are shipped off if in stable condition. if not they get a safety sitter for their entire stay and then get shipped off

what's it like to work in an emergency room?

Nice man. So nursing is still a viable career path? I get some people saying I shouldn't do it but they're older nurses. Are they just trying to keep me away from the field?

Cna sucks but rn is good

You see a ton of cool stuff, but you're the bitch half the time. And its always busy, never a calm day

Great advice thank you man. I will be getting my RN certificate within a year. It's only a 1 year program.

I have no clue man, but if you do go nurse get your RN and go for 4 years. But if you're just interested in the cash there's a ton of better options, you have to enjoy helping people to get paid shit and be treated like it half the time

I would suggest not. Become a real RN with a 4 year program or your career will be a dead end

I don't have enough financial aid for a 4 year degree. Which is weird because I only have like 15k of debt.

Can't I at least get into the door with an RN cert? I don't need to start in an ER. I can start at a rehab office or a nursing home. I don't care as long as it pays $20+ per hour.

New RN's with a 4 year degree barely get $20/hr

I'd call and ask about a few positions before you go through with that, it might not pay as well as you think

There's gotta be somewhere in the country though. I'd move to Alaska if it meant a job that paid $20/hr. I see jobs like that all the time for RN's. I hope they don't mean 4 year degrees only or I am fucked.

I'm sure there is somewhere. My job can pay $16 an hour down in miami and that's just with basic life skills. Cpr, phlebotomy, ekg, etc...

But do your due diligence and make sure the jobs are there before you pull the trigger.

public or private hospital?
hows security/police there?
craziest fight/patient restraint?