Ask a Mathematician anything

Ask a Mathematician anything

>inb4
>I did my undergrad at Harvard where I did both Math 55a and Math 55b
>I received my PhD from MIT in Mathematics in 2002
>I mastered Nonlinear Algebra, and Logic
> My dissertation was a 219 page paper regarding Logical fallacies in Math

I am currently working as a research collaborator at the Philosophy department at Stanford University, specializing in Formal logic

Are you asian?

How do magnets work?

Do you expect to have talk here with non-mathematicians?

If you really had a degree you'd be on Sup Forums not Sup Forums

Why is op always a cock loving faggot?

how did you come to the conclusion that you've mastered algebra and logic

does P = NP ?

No, I'm Puerto Rican

where did all the matter in the universe come from?

not OP, but a magnetic moment is generated by electrons spin moment heading in the same direction

why is 1+1=2 and 2 bomb is end of war

What is your salary?

>> My dissertation was a 219 page paper regarding Logical fallacies in Math
Nope

Can you do Fourier transforms in your head?

why aren't you a prof

Nobody knows.

>Nonlinear Algebra
Not a field

>Claims to be a mathematician and goes on Sup Forums
>expects to have an intelligent conversation on Sup Forums that is more than just the word nigger repeated 600 times

Yes

Probably Jesus. Just kidding, the matter in the universe has always existed.

I'm not asian

Why are you on Sup Forums of all places?

~89k/year

holy crap!

Neat, OP. I've got a logic exam tomorrow, wish me luck.

Good luck

When I close my fridge, at what exact moment does the light go out?

>logical fallacies in math
yeah and my dissertation is on History and Stuff

how does mongolia

Who is your most favourite logician? My is Raymond Smullyan.

What's the deal with the cross product? Still trying to wrap my head around its concepts. I understand how the math works obviously but not the theoretical in between dimensions stuff. Someone simplify this for me.

varies. usually happens when its sure you won't come back for at least 5 minutes

May 19th? Only because it's the date that is unique.

right hand rule dude

Wrong. july 16th.

Next question: Only using addition and the number 8, make 1,000

you can stack. Ex: 888 + 88 + 8888888

June 18th

Thanks for not explaining why I was wrong

What did you do to get into Harvard?

Did you do any Olympiads in high school?

What was your background when you started at Harvard?

Is your undergraduate in mathematics?

That other answer is August 17

What about it? I am retarded with this concept.

Now answer my other one.
Make 1000 only using addition and 8s

He's not a cosmologist you retard.

888+88+8+8+8

have you taken any psychadelics

This one is too easy. Just add 8 to itself 125 times.

Hey, no one has ever been able to answer this question, so I'm hoping you might take a shot at it. I read about a paper a few years ago on anti-entropic matter in which the entropic arrow of time is reversed. It was believed at the time that while anti-entropic matter could have existed in the early Universe, it would long since have vanished due to interactions with entropic matter. However, according to this paper, computer modelling had shown anti-entropic matter was much more resilient than previously believed, opening the possibility that some might still exist.

My question is this: what would an anti-entropic star look like? If you got enough anti-entropic matter in one place to cause it to fuse, what would happen? I find it difficult to conceptualize.

>719698448
August 17th, at first with numbers he can't know if its the top half, but albert does since it can't be those knowing that now bernard can see that only august 17th shared with june 17th and it was eliminated so it's all that's left.

>task a mathematician anything
>"WOW retard he can't answer that"

user...

What is the 729th digit of pi

>888+88+8+8+8

That makes no sense.

If 43*(1/3) = 272

Using the same proportions what will 8283 equal

sorry bro did my phd on this one, know it for sure, it was page 216 I came upon the answer finally

I stopped getting math at fractions.

:^(

What would make you feel more guilty? Raping a baby or using the axiom of choice?

E8. Explain it?

If darkness is just the absence of light, then isn't scent the absence of hearing?

As do most people.
c.f. A&W's third-pound burger losing to McDonald's because customers thought quarter pound was more.

July 16th

Wrong June 17th fucking retard

What are the most important things in this life?

I need help on my homework.

When you do a triple integral in spherical coordinates, how do you find the bounds for ψ?

how do i do a linear regression on two sets of data points? python tutorial???

If there are an infinite number of decimal places after the decimal point, how do we ever get from 0 to 1?

Why are you studying a fake system?

Although I think math is a beautiful thing. I started seriously lagging when letters came into play with fractions. Shame,
It's like a universal language.

Why won't op stop being a fucking fag?

Let Ο†(n) be Euler's totient function. Show that Ο†(n) = 4k + 2 iff n can be written in the form p^a or 2p^a where p is a prime in the form 4s - 1.

Hi Thomas.

>logical fallacies in mathematics

so things like why 9/9 = 1 and not 0.9999....

How much do you have in student loan debt?
How much do you make annually?

again have you taken any psychadelics op

>how do i do a linear regression on two sets of data points? python tutorial???

Can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

I should mention this one has been bugging me for a while - it's from LeVeque's book "Elementary Theory of Numbers".

Thomas Icard
Phone:
(650) 724-8486
Email:
[email protected]
Office:
Building 90, 92A

>implying we need floating point precision unless we're working with atoms or microprocessors

No... its not.

We know it isn't the the 18th or 19th. And we know that because albert does not know. Bernard knows that it is not those numbers because he knows it is not the first two months after revealing that it is not either of those two months.

First two months gone.

Albert knows which it is now. Removing the two 14ths
Because he knows which month it is.
Then albert knows so we know that the month he chooses can only have one number. The only month with one number remaining is june.

June 16th. You guys are dumb as hell.

July 16th

how am i able to type with this font:
π•Έπ–†π–π–Š π•¬π–’π–Šπ–—π–Žπ–ˆπ–† π•²π–—π–Šπ–†π–™ π•¬π–Œπ–†π–Žπ–“

can you or anyone else reverse engineer this parametric plot I made in Mathematica? I remember using sin cos and integer multiplication that's all.

No your just retarted

2/10

Made me reply.

How do you study? Do you have some trick to help us?

What was your "unsolvable problem"? I heard you can get a PhD by solving what was considered an unsolvable problem.

>unsolvable
Unsolved

Could your knowledge of math be weaponized?

I agree. June and May are right out since Bernard can know May 19 or June 18 by just knowing the number, and Albert knows that Bernard doesn't know. That leaves just July and August. Since Bernard and Albert now know her birthday given these narrowed choices, the answer must be July 16 since it is the only choice with a unique day and unique month left.

Only if i divide by zero.

Ok here's a question i spent the last 10 years of my life learning how to make video games and now i hate the only activity i used to love.
PLAYING VIDEOGAMES

>> I will Never use Calculus or algebra .... I'm a halfass machinist and make $18hr. I don't even need to convert fractions!!! LOL

So, what exactly drove you to be a "mathematician" when That is the Only place I can see using such math

Can you come up with a syllogism that can argue that Socrates is immortal through an ambiguity loophole?

Logic is cool. I've only studied sentential and predicate logic and their derivations.

Also nice MATLAB plot. Fucking 1000$ over glorified calculator LEL.

It helps to turn this into a grid logic problem.

We can eliminate all Mays and Junes, since they encompass unique dates, hence Bernard would be able to know instantly the date.

If Bernard can now figure it out, it can't be on a 14th day, since there is July 14 and August 14. It can be August 15, July 16, and August 17.

Since Albert knows this and can determine the date now, it can't be in August, since there are two possibilities; ergo, July 16 is the correct answer. Normies think this is hard math.

This is a simple combinatorial puzzle I developed in high school to help me train for the USACO:

-Take a box of dominoes
-Arrange them in a pattern so that both ends of each are touching a domino.
-How many such arrangements exist such that the patterns bordering another domino are congruent?

You're actually looking for the days that would be unique. The months these fall under wouldn't be possible; Albert couldn't know Bernard was wrong if he had those months.

888 + 88 + 8 + 8 + 8

Why are you slumming it on Sup Forums?

How do you divide decimals?

I seriously cannot fucking remember how to do this and it screwed me recently IRL.

What do you think is Saharon Shelah's most important contribution to mathematics?

Not OP. Long division.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

perhaps you should have studied english so that you could write a less bollocks story