Is Zeppelin objectively the greatest rock band of all time?

Is Zeppelin objectively the greatest rock band of all time?
If not who?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0
youtube.com/watch?v=I3onnMg8a34
youtube.com/watch?v=rkKrSiSwCmI
youtube.com/watch?v=KpkJd6MMT0E
youtube.com/watch?v=fj7j4yajEM8
youtu.be/7UjvdZm-Tu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Zeppelin were the best "cock" rockers in the 70's. I don't say that in a derogatory manner. That is how they were actually refereed as in magazines like CREEM and CIRCUS. They had the largest shows and were the band that could sell out large arenas the fastest. If I am not mistaken they were also the first band to have their own "Starship" (Chartered Full Size Commercial Jet) to transport them from city to city. Zep was the largest Rock band in the World from 71 to 77

kendrick

Close

Actually none of those bands could sell multiple nights at large Venues like Madison Square Garden the way Zep could. Van Halen didn't debut until 1976, Pretty much the same year LZ stopped touring after the death of Robert Plants son. They were not the greatest....but no one else could fill seats during the early and mid 70's the way LZ could.

T
K
E
REKT
E
K
T

Guns N' Roses before they got huge

youtube.com/watch?v=I3onnMg8a34

I forgot to say Queen was better too. I'd check those facts again about stadium packing bands. There's a reason At Budokan is still talked about. Also you're nuts for thinking that Tho Who and Aerosmith and The Police in their primes weren't raking in the fans at the same rate as Zeppelin.

The Beatles. Led Zep would admit as much. You just can't compete with Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road, etc.
>inb4 le epic THE posters

step aside kiddos

either them or the Beatles

That'd be Radiohead

Wings had some good albums like Band on the Run, but the Beatles catalog just outright beats em

fuck off

Cheap Trick didn't start makng a name for themselves until around 1977. Budokan was in 1978. the Song Remains the same was recorded over a 3 nights. I hate to cite Wikipedia but it is just backing up what i personally know. I was 16 in 1976 so I have first hand knowledge of what was occurring.

"Houses of the Holy topped charts worldwide, and the band's subsequent concert tour of North America in 1973 broke records for attendance, as they consistently filled large auditoriums and stadiums. At Tampa Stadium in Florida, they played to 56,800 fans, breaking the record set by the Beatles' 1965 Shea Stadium concert and grossing $309,000.[53] Three sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden in New York City were filmed for a motion picture, but the theatrical release of this project (The Song Remains the Same) was delayed until 1976"

They are objectively the best hard rock band, the beatles are objectively the best band in general. But this is simple stuff man, not even really up for debate

Lmao, comon

Beatles > Who > Kinks > Beach Boys > Zombies > Monkees > Cream > Hollies > Byrds >>>>> The Ohio Express >>>>> Stones

literally

No, The Beatles will always go down as the best band of all time. Led Zeppelin are fucking amazing though

Rolling Stones

Sigh... I wish the Police raked in the fans like Zep. They split up at a point where they could have stayed at a plateau and been christened THE band of the eighties.

Yep, this

I'm not a Zep fan and as far as harder rock goes I've always liked AC/DC, Hendrix, and Cream more

The Beatles for sure. You can't record Tomorrow Never Knows, Happiness Is A Warm Gun and Strawberry Fields Forever, and not be number one. Zep are great though.

U2, unironically.

And the fact you spergs are gonna get so t r i g g e r e d over me mentioning it is preemptively hilarious.

King Crimson

whomst*

The VU is probably the GOAT. Zeppelin isn't even the best hard rock band, that would be Sabbath, by a pretty wide margin.

@72252249
No one is gonna fall for this bait. I hope not anyway.

But yeah, The Beatles.

>I wish the Police raked in the fans like Zep

You do realize that Zeppelin wasnt as popular in Europe and Asia as The Police and Queen in their primes. Zeppellin is an American phenomenon.

* Who

It's referring to the subject of a sentence.

U2 have the largest selling and grossing concert tours to date. ZOOTV is regarded by Many as the greatest Rock Tour to have been produced. U2 would also concede that the Beatles though as the greatest rock band of all time.

I like Boy, October, and War a lot. Not so much the later stuff, but they werent lousy til the 00s

>revolver
ITCOTCK
>white album
Discipline
>abbey road
Red

any questions? or can we accept KC as goat yet

Who cares about ticket sales? Being popular doesn't make you a great artist, or do you consider Bieber to be a music legend? You can of course be hugely popular and musically brilliant, like The Beatles for instance, but the two don't go hand in hand.

I would certainly call them the most influential rock band, and probably the most groundbreaking. But when it comes to musical talent? Get the fuck outta here

Actually, I didn't. Led Zep are omnipresent here in burgerland. I figured they were almost as popular in Britbongistan, if not the rest of Europe.

The Beatles songwriting is still more impressive than some wanker who's a prodigy at guitar, vocals, piano, of what have you.

8 consecutive #1 Albums in the UK from "LZ II" to "In Through the Out Door"at which point they broke up due to Bonham's death.

Here's your (you), one of the only good and informed posts in this whole thread. I love how no one had the balls to tackle this claim because a fucking millennial arguing facts with someone that was actually THERE would be a slaughter.

Being unpopular or obscure doesn't make you a great artist either. I was only referring to the time frame of 1971 to 1977 when they were considered on pretty much all fronts as the Biggest Rock Band in the World.

Queen in mentioned 5 times in the preface to the article. Led Zeppelin does not even appear on the list or the page at all.

That's a great point actually. I guess it becomes impossible to generalize when you consider lyricism, song progression and dynamics, pure talent, raw fucking energy, live vs recorded, etc.

This Technical ability isn't the most important thing, otherwise we would only listen to virtuoso musicians. When it comes to musicianship, and the actual crafting of songs, The Beatles triumph over the rest. But anyway, Paul is one of the best bassists of all time; imagine writing a bassline as good as Hey Bulldog. He innovated what could be done with that instrument to enhance a song by writing complex, melodic basslines which strayed massively from the song itself but still lifted it.

He's still wrong. Check the attendance numbers and the fan fair in Japan for Cheap Trick vs. Zeppelin in their prime and Madison Square Garden.

You're using popularity in Japan as your metric for cultural and commercial relevance? Are you fucking well in the head lad?

Again. I was only referring to the years when LZ was together. Also that article is citing Queens Greatest Hits album.

I'm using ticket and album sales worldwide my dude, not just the US

So you've come to conclusion Led Zeppelin sold more tickets and records? Because I have no fucking idea where you're getting your figures from. Just the suggestion Cheap Trick is more popular than Led Zeppelin fucking absurd I shouldn't have even replied to you.

LZ stopped touring in 1977. Robert Plant was pretty shaken up by the death of his son and then the death of John Bonham was their death kneel as a band. Had neither of those events occurred I really don't doubt that their Dominance on the World Stage would have continued on.

Well, the original argument that I was in was about he 1970s in particular. It's obvious that superior bands like Cheap Trick, Sparks, and Big Star are buried by mediocre buttrock like Zeppelin.

Cheap Trick was literally an afterthought by the late early 80s. Led Zeppelin would have certainly become a legacy band a la the Who or Rolling Stones and would have sold out stadiums until they were 80 years old. What kind of fucking alternate reality are you living in? Why don't you go look at some sales figures because you're seriously exposing yourself here.
>superior bands
No one is arguing artistic value, simply cultural and commercial power.

you're all wrong

Cheap Trick didn't have near the draw LZ did. i saw them perform live in 1979 in the small college town of Russellville Arkansas (John E tucker Coliseum) and it wasn't a sell out. The put things in perspective the closest to my home town LZ ever performed was in Reunion Arena in Dallas Texas.

>world outside of the US
>alternate reality

I bet Cheap Trick has earned more live show money over their career than Zeppelin has.

>late early 80s.
Typo, meant just early 80s. Here's their 6th album's performance from 1982. Just FIVE years after their debut. You really want to argue commercial relevance?

Reality check idiot, the USA has the biggest economy and the biggest fanbase for musicians. I don't care how many asian countries you "make it in". If you "make it" in America you are set for life. If you were arguing that perhaps Cheap Trick had support from the rest of the Western world, like perhaps England or Europe, you'd have a case. But they didn't. I'm sorry you don't like led zeppelin but they literally did better in America than the Beatles did.

Jeus Christ I can't format a post today.

dude we're talking about a broad scope of who society deems the greatest, not your stupid b list dad rock tendencies

>objectively the greatest
>who society deems the greatest
big difference there user

Actually "Greatness" is a rather simple concept to quantify, and it's usually decided by popular majority. I'm sorry your pea-brain is struggling with this concept.

wow im sorry your pea-brain completely missed the point of my post

Then it's objectively the Beatles. Why bother with the thread?

>dadrock

commercial =/= cultural

I actually agree with you to a certain point. Why is there even a board for music discussion at all? It's really just people spouting their opinions. Time better served simply sitting back and listening to what you like or exploring new music. I mean in all of your time posting here do you really remember a time when someone changed your opinion on music or vice versa? Because in my 10 years here the answer is definitively 'no'.

Raw figures are actually the best metric for cultural relevance. Explain to be how something can permeate culture if no one owns it, knows of it, or likes it? If you have a better way to find this out I'm all ears. I know many people posting here and very out of touch with the real world but the reality is sales drive almost everything.

Every last one of you is a fucking dork.

sonic youth is dad rock, so is nirvana
all these pre-80s bands are great grampa rock

Considering LZ stopped touring and disolved as a Band after Bonham's death I would probably agree with you. And Cheap Trick is still touring 40 years after the last LZ concert tour.

1. Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Rolling Stones
5. Sonic Youth

Bands must have over 4 hours of original material to qualify. And no that does not disqualify Zeppelin

IIIIIII HATEEEEE LED ZEPPELIN

>5. Sonic Youth
You might as well have made it a list of four, instead you made yourself look retarded.

I almost put them over the Rolling Stones and I'm still not sure they shouldn't be there. So who should I replace them with?

Beatles is number 1 forever bro Led zep is pretty good tho

nirvana if anything

Bands must have over 4 hours of original material to qualify

Beatles are pretty shit to be honest. I've tried over and over to get into them but the production is awful, the guitar is sloppy (in a bad way) and the vocals are grating. It's no wonder everyone considers Pet Sounds to be one of the best albums ever made if it's being compared to something like Revolver or Sgt Pepper. Not that there aren't a few gems, Here, There and Everywhere for example, but not a single album they've released is as cohesive, beautiful or catchy as Pet Sounds. Everything the Beatles do feels very amateurish.

1. not rock
2. not good
3. not original
4. not consistent
5. sure

Zlatan is a cute

>if not who?
Yes, I think The Who is the best answer.

>

>Everything the Beatles do feels very amateurish.

that's their roots, famiglia. They had little formal musical education or knowledge before they got big and in a way, it shows

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

having seen U2 live about 6 or 7 times I'd say you're objectively completely wrong

saw them live at CBGB, glad I did

pink floyd had the worst drummer in rock history...worse than ringo so fuck off phaggot...but the rest of them were great

No, that's being out of time and off-key, which even considering the era, isn't good, because they had all the production they could want and other bands were certainly capable of it.

The Beatles have an overstated influence. You can like it, I'm not going to argue personal taste. What is significant about the Beatles is the pop-sensation angle which has been very significant to music, but people mistake historical significance with musical significance every fucking day. They certainly changed the culture around music, but they did not do much revolutionary when it came to actually writing music, and that really shouldn't be very controversial.

But it is, because "lollololol the Beatles sold the most" and stupid pseudo musical arguments about "their roots".

And you're mighty twee with the edgiest fucking boy band there. Did you get their shirt at Target or Kmart?

Actually, anyone who's not a fucking illiterate would know that objectivity refers to innate concepts, which don't require a subject to observe.

Whereas a popular majority is by very definition, about the tastes of subjects, and cannot be in any way objective.

Read a dictionary, you fucking idiot.

It's clearly the Ramones ya dingus

>If not who?

Exactly

Keith Moon in his prime is a better drummer than Bonham ever was. Didn't need to do any stupid 20 minute drum solos

>inb4 bass pedal faggots come out of the woodwork

youtube.com/watch?v=rkKrSiSwCmI

youtube.com/watch?v=KpkJd6MMT0E

Moon can really only be described as a hurricane, just fucking inhuman some of the shit he does and the speed that he does it

1. THE ROLLING STONES
2. LED ZEPPELIN
3. PINK FLOYD
4. AC/DC (Bon Scott era)

I don't think The Beatles really qualify as a rock band in the sense we are talking about here. They stopped playing live before they made their best music.

Stolen riffs

>If not who
Correct

>I don't think The Beatles really qualify as a rock band in the sense we are talking about here.
>But Pink Floyd just making random noise for 20 minutes somehow counts

Radiohead. Rate my video of ranking their songs, I spend too much time making this autistic piece of shit:
youtube.com/watch?v=fj7j4yajEM8

>Pink Floyd just making random noise for 20 minutes somehow counts
This is only relevant in the overrated Syd era though

led zeppelin fucking suck

>but they did not do much revolutionary when it came to actually writing music, and that really shouldn't be very controversial
What the actual fuck are you on about lad, The Beatles arguably changed music more than any artist.
youtu.be/7UjvdZm-Tu8
That there is the most ahead-of-its-time song recorded of all time.

This Also The Beatles arguably invented heavy metal, and at the very least pioneered it.