/daily/ thread - generic edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frisk_frugt/den_europaeiske_spejlbue/
vimeo.com/32743988
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/joao_gilberto/chega_de_saudade/
music.justinwalter.net
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/justin-walter/unseen-forces/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/戸張大輔/ドラム-drum/
barometric.bandcamp.com/album/breakfast
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/arto_lindsay/noon_chill/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/iron_and_wine/the_creek_drank_the_cradle/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sufjan-stevens/michigan/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_field/from_here_we_go_sublime/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/boards_of_canada/the_campfire_headphase/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/casiotone_for_the_painfully_alone/etiquette/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/chris_f1/days_of_summer_gone/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ian_william_craig/a_turn_of_breath/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/islaja/ulual_yyy/
youtube.com/watch?v=-EG23IphS5c
rateyourmusic.com/artist/israel_kamakawiwoʻole
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oren_ambarchi/grapes_from_the_estate/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ulitkot

Keep the votes coming babey. Link in the RYM list. I also forgot s/t. Oh well, it will be in the tiebreaker poll

reposting this
waiting for a rec from:
Torts
Huxka/
Blapp

I'm cool if it will be a draw btw

Wanna do a contemporary "indie" pop female vocalists chart. I know it's gonna be terrible, but it's a whim baka. Please rec.

Ok, we got some good picks here anyway

>Lars Horntveth - Kaleidoscopic
>Contemporary Classical, Electronic

Expected some Classical vs. bleeps fuckery here... and I kinda got that?
This is like a one-up of the two Moog synth albums I've heard, and is essentially a soundtrack for a non-existent short film.

After a very space-age like opener, the orchestra slowly plods through a(n asteroid) field, soars through a nebula, watches the birth of a star, and seems to find extraterrestrial life-- all within the first 10 minutes of music. Sounds a lot like a Pixar movie... which is where is why it doesn't sit perfectly with me, since it does feel a bit TOO much like stock music at times.

Still worth a listen, especially if you like music that tells a story. Or contemporary classical work in general.

7/10

>Sweet Trip - You Will Never Know Why
>Shoegaze, Dream Pop

So where exactly do Sweet Trip go after their previous hit? Traditional dream pop, mostly. Cooper's vocals are still airy and youthful, while Burgos carries the melodies often, which are notably more catchy in this album. Acting, Air Supply, Milk, and Misfortunes are Cruel were what popped out at me the most. The appearance of synthetic beeps is toned down to accompany the dueling vocals, swirling comfortably within the band. It even serves to close the album as jubilant techno.

Perfectly understandable for them to take this path after how dense V:C:D was. As consistent as they are with their tracks, the dream pop albums side by side do grow weary, but enough to make me hate it. Makes for only an OK record, though.

6/10

Need reccs from:

Eric
Jangle
Trans

tfw it ends up as Eric vs Trans

if i listen to the past 2 weeks listenalongs now do i keep my 100% record, this is very important to me

Post yfw nyar have best taste

sure!
do you have the newest versions?

hitting you with the big guns

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/frisk_frugt/den_europaeiske_spejlbue/

nah i'll go find them

Quick review of the new Junkoo)) record.

Starts off with crowd noise and the appearance of Junko's off the hook vocals out of nowhere is probably the best thing about the record.

Still, the expression and the power of her voice is admirable, the record is pretty short. Wish it had more variety. When is she going to play around with effects and her voice a bit more than she already did?

6-/10

good night /meme/!

I'll do the listenalong tomorrow :)

not the most recent version

thanks

requesting a /daily/-themed edit of this supreme image

take this low budget one

i appreciate it

hey, glad u liked gary wilson dude :)
maybe try flowers of romance - pil?

i aint got all day

>Fishmans - Orange

This is a clear step in the right direction. Their songs have become more layered and fleshed out, consistently hitting the five minute mark. Their songs are original and seem to have their own unique identity instead of sounding like an awkward appropriation of genre conventions with occasional dub flavoring. I don’t think I’ve heard an album exactly like it. This fusion of dub, funk, and rock simply sounds cheesy coming from other bands. This was the first record of theirs -- of the ones on this chart -- that I enjoyed quite thoroughly. There were few real weak points. They drift into some corny over-emotional pop territory on My Life for example, but it’s reigned in quick and basically it’s just Shinji’s overdoing the vocal performance that hurt it. They play very much to their strengths on this record, with their ability to craft really upbeat, catchy, and happy songs. I feel like this record is really hard to dislike on that quality alone, unless you just have it out for pop music. Also, the mixing and mastering took a huge step up on this record. It sounds incredibly lush and those digital organ tones on the keyboard fucking kill it. Rhythmically too, every song has a distinct, infectious beat, as opposed to cut and paste dub rhythm. I would recommend that people start with this album as an entry point into their discog if they already listened to Long Season or don’t want to start out with something so heavy.

>Fishmans - Kuchu Camp

I don’t think this consistently hits the same highs as Orange, but it’s a solid record nonetheless. It meanders at times, especially the first half, though occasionally it does pay off. Fishmans is a band that excels at crafting initially unassuming songs that hit hard emotionally out of nowhere. The best example of this and the standout track on this album is Night Cruising. It’s a layered and surprisingly experimental track centered on a simple, melancholy guitar riff. It’s joined by a simple downtempo drum and bass beat. Then they keep on adding layers and layers of rhythm and some really touching piano flourishes. As the song progresses they add streams of guitar noise and what sounds like radio interference. It all flows and fits together so well and feels like the title implies, a melancholy drive at night. The combination of the background guitar noise squalls, the piano melody, and the surface noise of a record playing just hits me so hard. You can really hear the seeds of Long Season here. I predict that this song will destroy me on the live album. Other than me gushing about Night Cruising, there are some other great cuts on this album, like the closer, again hitting that emotional core with the voice sample, the whistling, and the melodica.

yamir and Jangle triggered as fuck

Night Cruising is their third best song, the guitar riff is stupid good.

> Orange > Kuchu Camp
Slightly edgy but I think I'd actually agree. Orange is really underrated.

btw if you have a positive opinion on 98.12.28 maybe don't post it unless you want yamir and jangle to throw a tantrum. Or do because it'd be funny.

>I predict that this song will destroy me on the live album.
Believe me it will. I think it's my most listened to fishmans song by far.

I think Baby Blue is a bit unsung for Fishmans, but I totally agree that the latter half of Kuchuu is the better half. Nice Choice and 新しい人 are both fantastic pop songs.

I'm not sure where I'd rank it, but probably top 3 for me. The most memorable riff to me is the one on MELODY. As basic as it is, it's so infectious.

Honestly, I could see Orange going up in the future. It's the album I've been revisiting the most. I think I just really like super well done pop music. I honestly don't know why Kuchu Camp is more popular. And though I didn't mention Baby Blue it's actually my second favorite track on the album. Not sure why I didn't mention it, but I guess I was focusing on the second half of the album.

Is ~LoveofLife a /daily/ user?

That's le tortoise man

chill, thanks

g damn that cover

vimeo.com/32743988

haha of all the songs they could've chose to play on national TV from Strawberry Jam why did they chose #1?

Kuchu Camp has two of their better known singles on it, Night Cruising and Baby Blue. Those two, いかれたBaby, and Season are their only singles that ever commercially did very well in Japan.

no drums, no guitar
only need electronics and microphone

ez performance

>woman vocalizing backwards

>DJ Respect All Races Fox - 15 Barras
Mediocre ans unassuming, but I'm guessing that's the way a lot of you like your house.

shidd heck

Anyone have folk punk essentials? Or just general recommended folk punk albums?

musical abortions

Nana Grizol and pre-Christmas Island AJJ

I require comfy albums

plz give comfy recs.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/joao_gilberto/chega_de_saudade/
pretty different from Getz/Gilberto btw

just came out, moderate comfy
music.justinwalter.net
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/justin-walter/unseen-forces/

can a pal zip all of these albums

If you haven't heard it, rateyourmusic.com/release/album/戸張大輔/ドラム-drum/

barometric.bandcamp.com/album/breakfast is also really cozy

>pretty different from Getz/Gilberto btw
This is a good thing.

Very nice!

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/arto_lindsay/noon_chill/

jw what's with the hate for getz/gilberto recently? It seems extremely inoffensive and normal.

most can be found on soulseek. Here's a list:

It's like Ravel's Bolero. Non-music music by great musicians. Makes me sad, is also unfathomably boring.

>Non-music
I think this is a non-phrase lol

Is all Bossa Nova boring to you or is Getz/Gilberto a special case? If it's the former I could understand.

ESSENTIAL COMF

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/iron_and_wine/the_creek_drank_the_cradle/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sufjan-stevens/michigan/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_field/from_here_we_go_sublime/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/boards_of_canada/the_campfire_headphase/

UNDERRATED COMF

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/casiotone_for_the_painfully_alone/etiquette/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/chris_f1/days_of_summer_gone/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ian_william_craig/a_turn_of_breath/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/islaja/ulual_yyy/

various genres

Hey can someone give me a quick rundown on the listenalong list?

>is Getz/Gilberto a special case.
Yes. I'm a fan of Nara Leão's work. (Dez Anos Depois is a favorite)

Getz/Gilberto is an unholy fusion of boredom. It's elevator music for elevators that don't work. Etc. Etc. I think Getz' solos are some of his weakest and bossa nova is, yeah, actually among my least fav genres and I only like Nara because she stands out from what I've listened to.

Duster the most essential cozy band in existence
otherwise
Horace Andy - Dance Hall Style
pretty much anything Nara Leão
Mickey Newbury - Looks Like Rain
လက်ရေးစဉ် ဝေားများ (Le Ywei Sin Tei Mya) too in a weird way

>Ian William Craig
My niBBa

try suicide s/t

Thanks for all the good luck you fucking faggots

actually try johnny hobo and the freight trains Love Songs for the Apocalypse
just don't bother with the ManTits side of the record

otherwise folk punk is pretty much all shit from personal experience, this record is really fun and does p much everything one would want a folk punk record to do.

clearly you are so talented that you didn't need luck but also

:^) You're welcome!

>exams start day after tomorrow
>once again almost completely unprepared, unmotivated just wishing for another set of miracles
haha oh wow

how did it go pigger

i hope you fail

Oh shit I was afk mybadmybad

Good luck! I hope you pass.

good luck and give me your recc for tournament already gddmit

Transgod too

if you had picked the correct winner, you would have had a rec immediately

I can post it tomorrow
Next up stick and zane, don't know more right now

This is giving me really cool first impressions after a listen.

Jazz with violin, accordion, trumpet and bass. Often somber but varied with some happier quirkier moments, just avant enough without being difficult listening and all throughout with a very strong european atmosphere at times sounding more like gypsy jazz. Great melodies all around too.

Really enjoying it strongly recc'd to anyone who thinks the description sounds cool.

fugg I thought i already recc'd you
open wide:
Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air (or if you've heard that do Persian Surgery Dervishes)

grrrrrrr angrey

>how did it go pigger
Went great actually, pretty easy stuff!

:^)

>buscabulla - ep II
the first track is pleasant and catchy enough that the whole EP doesn't sink into "bad" territory. remarkably inoffensive.

Autechre a shit

I'm also working on a *very* good minimalism guide list for RYM, but I probably won't make it public for a few months or so. Might actually read some books on the topic. Will definitely be the best minimalism guide on the website, possibly on the whole flippin internet. Get hype.

>Björk - Post

Major imporvement from Debut, however there were a few traces of the issues I had with Debut in here. However, this whole thing sounds a lot more mature, better production, vocals, and lyrics. Highlights are "Hyperballed" and "It's Oh So Quiet" (didn't think i'd ever use sexy as an adjective to describe a song). Still though, this album was just alright.

3/5

i like this
i've always needed to get into minimalism

god there's so much M U S I C i have like 2 active charts right now and a tourney and i still have like 132894 chart ideas i will never attempt

>when Bjork growls or screams

are you guys thinking of s?

hey kid whats some good terry riley and or other minimalism artists for me to check out

Looking forward to it

are you going to have minimal techno and other minimalism offshoots on it or just the canon genre

on my 5th burrito today
music for this feel

ween

youtube.com/watch?v=-EG23IphS5c
real mexican music

>hey kid whats some good terry riley and or other minimalism artists for me to check out
Idk find a guide or something idiet

(lol)
What kind of minimalism? Electronic, drone, classical, etc. Or are you up for anything?
Check out Riley's Reed Streams if you haven't, it often gets overlooked. Other than that I've only heard In C, Rainbow in Curved Air and Persian Surgery Dervishes. I recommend them all.
I'm going to have to do a lot of extra listening in the coming months.

:8)

I haven't really decided for sure how I'm going to structure it, but it's going to be mostly focused on pre-80's development. I'll definitely have some post-minimalism and minimalism inspired 21st century picks, but I don't want to end up with a 1600 album long chart full of shit because I added everything that was slightly minimalist. I can already forsee the "you didn't add my favourite obscure ambientprogressive lowercase techno minimalist composer?!?!??!?!?" comments.

electronic and or drone but i am open to other stuff
i really liked persian surgery dervishes so i'll try reed streams

Yeah Persian Surgery is fucking great.
I haven't heard it yet but Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band is on my short list to listen to next, it's a live album from '68 and it looks dope.

rateyourmusic.com/artist/israel_kamakawiwoʻole
rip you

:$

whole wheat tortilla, brown rice, chickun corn and tomatas my mane just dont have anything else in my house so eating that shit for every meal

>electronic and or drone
Been almost exclusively focused on piano/classical minimalism lately so I should have more recs when I start shifting more to that stuff.
Tangerine Dream - Zeit
Troum & All Sides - Shutun
Tom Johnson - Nine Bells
La Monte Young - Second Dream

Listen to my New EP "Thoughts" on Youtube when you get a chance

>"Thoughts"

I'm not really into minimalism and doesn't know much about it, but maybe look at rateyourmusic.com/release/album/oren_ambarchi/grapes_from_the_estate/

Trust no thot

mark zauberberg

things actually happen on this one the techno in ambient techno finally decides to show up here

thanks for your recs pig keep hating fishmans :)

yeah i heard that one was p ok

anyone else dig zappa?

you should ask this "im fish" guy he listened to every zappa album ever

You'll probably like the new Gas the best btw

yeah but did you see the pun i made

hey what's up

heck yes I do

ohhhhh im bout to get some (you)s for this
>Woolite vs Trip Up
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realize
It took me a long time for Loveless to click. When I first heard it, I was honestly really bored and didn't get the appeal. Listening to this EP was the exact opposite. From the moment I turned it on, I fell in love with the sound. I loved the noisier, raw, and lo-fi sound to this EP, and I think I like it more than I like Loveless itself. I loved every single song on here, and I was surprised about it too. I totally thought it would just be more songs like the ones that were on Loveless, which I would have obviously been ok with. Looks like I have to check out Isn't Anything ASAP now.

Jim O'Rourke - Halfway to a Threeway
hehe.. its a collection of B-sides from Eureka. No way in hell I wouldn't enjoy this. Jim does his things on all of these tracks, and I don't deny he did them well. I still loved this EP as much as I expected to, and I'll definitely be listening to it lots. But I don't think this was as good as Eureka. It was just a few more songs that didn't make the final cut. Nevertheless, I still very much enjoyed.

So, Woolite moves to round two! Sorry trip. I guess this makes us even for your tournament ;)

Who wants next?

Hartyga