Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/o0schvs5
clyp.it/hjq3wnll
clyp.it/u1in4dfg
clyp.it/0le4fdvd
clyp.it/cn0ihszc
youtube.com/watch?v=zhcHyn32iAc
clyp.it/or3pd020
youtube.com/watch?v=mWISiHcGoNg
clyp.it/2blurdst
clyp.it/ocjqpsx4
youtu.be/zQqAWHcq81Q?t=42
clyp.it/ajbfngwg
clyp.it/3xkbujbt
clyp.it/cwzfswcq?token=09c98f7cb9dc7c757559dbe971c44143
clyp.it/0312itiq
clyp.it/tvg03jgs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hi, not from this board nor i know how any of this works, but i'm searching for a gift for my girfriend, she studied piano, good with keyboards and very interested in electronic music (i think she knows that whole part of spotify).

however she had a good synth she sold for like 300€, don't know anything about it, she's not a musician and i'd like something cute for her to play from time to time. budget is around 50/70€, i'd like something like a 2 octave keyboard with a synth, capable of producing good sounds (maybe with loops idk), preferably with batteries so she can just play with it while high with friends.

best i found just on youtube is Casio SK1/SK5 but i don't know

i'm love distortion?

nobody?

Ask her what she would want. The SK1 is cute but it's really just a toy. If you're not into that kind of thing it would be disappointing to get as a gift.

You can't beat this naming convention.

Can any one help my find some good spaceghostpurrp drum kits/sample packs? Looking for some of the dark r&b stuff

Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators

nigga you dont even know

how the FUCK do i come up with siqq jazz chord progressions
all of mine sound shit

make a basic chord progression
add secondary dominants and fuller voicings
add substitutes and alterations
done

Hello friends let me repost my post from last thread, as I posted it when the thread was dying and I would enjoy a reply. Here it is.

Hello friends. I posted a wip of this yesterday, or the day before.
What do you think now? Is it too cacophonous (esp towards the end), and is the screeching synth too screeching?

clyp.it/o0schvs5

Damn, I used Harmor for this.

Me to, generally. I actively have to stop myself from putting distortion on every project

Lmao, here is mine for april

the 808s and the dog bark samples sound bad. also the vocal samples don't really add anything

also your naming conventions are terrible

Comin from last thread. Making a Samurai/Japanese type beat. Any suggestions on what to add for atmosphere? Percussion or anything? Also I know it sounds weird in the middle. I just fixed that but i can't be arsed to upload it again.

clyp.it/hjq3wnll

You guys actually take the time to label every WIP? I just label em' Beat1, Beat2, Beat3, etc. I only label them after, when i upload to soundcloud.

>also the vocal samples don't really add anything
should I remove them? it's more of a personal thing but you're probably right. i wanted to have something though..

also what did you listen on? i use my laptop speakers and headphones from time to time. what exactly should i fix with those 2 things. I'll tell my friend's dog you didn't like him :*(

unrealistic flute, unless it's your artiistic choice

Really? Cause i sampled it.

does like nobody make sick-ass dirty-ass fuck-ass bass around here?

amatures

Grow up

heres a mere glimpse into my fl folder

not everyone has to be a joyless pissant like you

>sick-ass
>dirty-ass
>fuck-ass
He's not wrong, make your post look less like it was made by some drugged out raver

is there anywhere i can torrent music production stuff?

Where is everyone? :(
Is it always this lonely in these threads?

Piratesbay

most torrenting websites not dedicated to anime or something

the pirate bay

Mediafire

I have a surround sound system with 5 speakers and an 8 inch sub. I also have 10 dollar panasonic ear buds. When I give my drum more MMPH and bass, it sounds fine on my sub with the rest of the mix, but on the earbuds, it overpowers the mix. When I tone down the MMPH and bass on the mix so it becomes listenable on the earbuds, but it loses it's punch on the sub. How can I make my mix sound good on both shitty 10 dollar ear buds and more high end equipment?

audionews.org is all you'll ever need.

Registration opens 1st and 2nd of every month. If anyone reads this and doesn't bother to register they are a fucking moron.

it seems to be fairly common for cheap headphones to have the bass, and sometimes also the highs, boosted ridiculously

if those earbuds are purposefully bass boosted then don't worry about it sounding too bassy

Fuck them. My account got insta deleted when i didn't upload 5MBs of shitty plugin I downloaded because of some bug.

clyp.it/u1in4dfg

never posted in /prod/, what's up

When was this? I've had an account there for years and every time I've dipped below their ratio standard they just limited my account to upload only until it goes back up.

Hey guys i need your help.

I still feel that the first part of my track needs something but i can't really place my finger on it, i could really use some help.

clyp.it/0le4fdvd

the vocals are really interesting, where'd you get them from?

idk it might benefit from a little breakdown

>clyp.it/hjq3wnll
you probably don't want to hear this but personally i'd slow it down a bit. It's a bit too short to tell you what you're missing

I think it was around half a year ago. It sucked, I couldn't login anymore, said they can't find an email in database or whatever.

Anyway, I have pretty much everything I will need for a while now, so I don't mind. And you can still find a lot of stuff on websites like Piratebay or Rutracker.

been doing some glitchmachines patches recently, think I got a pretty neat one here

clyp.it/cn0ihszc

nice waveform

thanks bub

How do music producers overcome the challenge of making their music sound good across different equipment? Why does a Kanye album sound good on my surround sound system and my 10 dollar earphones?

might rely more on harmonics than the actual bass frequencies so it sounds fine on iphones and similar speakers and coincidentally sounds fine when it's bass boosted because it didn't have very loud bass frequencies to start

or you're just used to how it sounds on both systems?

vocals are literally ripped from youtube, it's the intro of a Zulu song

youtube.com/watch?v=zhcHyn32iAc

i feel dumb for asking but what do you mean with a breakdown?

something like a half-tempo beat switch up that happens for 4-8 measures

it's hard to put into words but maybe drums going faster and a little melody change?

clyp.it/or3pd020

thx guys :)

>clyp.it/or3pd020
sound great but i'm not fully convinced by the instrument you use for the melody

im on my shitty laptop speakers, and I can't tell if there's sub bass, but this song could use some aggressive sub bass. It sounds like a trap song, and the first 30 seconds are building up hype, but the track doesn't go anywhere after like the 30 second mark.

I feel like you need an aggressive sub bass that carries momentum and hypes your listener up. Also I feel you could maybe pick up the tempo on the synth and give the song a bit more momentum. If I'm not making any sense listen to the first 40 seconds of this

youtube.com/watch?v=mWISiHcGoNg

The first 20 seconds and the part after the subbass kicks in are essentially the same in composition, it's just that the subbass makes the song sound so much harder.

hey thanks man, i'll try something out tmrw morning, what did you think of the second part of the song?

>clyp.it/hjq3wnll
the drums seem really weak
if they are sampled you should try layering more drums on them

Well i got an updated version here, where it's just a bit slower. And there's more variety. Still want to add a pad or maybe even a lead.
clyp.it/2blurdst

Way ahead of you.

got you senpai
clyp.it/ocjqpsx4

You mix it first using a variety of different sound sources that are all flat, so you can get a good idea of how it'll sound

what do you mean by flat?

i really want to get into music production and this isn't about finding resources it's more so finding where to start. i find myself overwhelmed by the different points in which to begin. i'm more of a learn by example person so can anyone tell me which steps they took in starting out and learning? sorry if i seem annoying or clueless.

I'm figuring they meant "a variety of playback systems that are all flat" rather than "sound sources" - flat frequency response playback systems let you hear how your music actually sounds.

It's useful to know if you have too much sub-bass in your mix for example, since this will overpower bass-heavy speakers and headphones.

Different speakers have different frequency responses, that is to say some frequencies are louder or quieter over the spectrum. When a speaker is flat it reproduces all the frequencies evenly.

No one?

So where do I get this flat speaker?

Look for studio monitor recommendations and reviews.

Can someone help me or point me the right way on how to reproduce this sound in FL studio (@43s)
youtu.be/zQqAWHcq81Q?t=42

I dont seek to make one that sounds exactly alike but one with the same timbre and ofc same distortion.

Maybe I'm missing some of it but it just sounds like detuned saws or squares with noise and a moving resonant bandpass filter, or it's FM with the second operator's volume automated as well as a bandpass or highpass filter for the end of the synth's phrase.

oh okay ill go ahead and try what youre metioning ,, ty :)

heads up: there's a bunch of tracks from a 50s sex education vinyl on soulseek
1950's sex education vinyl

this will spice up whatever you're working on, i guarantee it

Thank you brother. I will use these.

i made a dubstep
clyp.it/ajbfngwg

clyp.it/3xkbujbt

hehe

Anybody have general tips for making hip hop?
I might take a venture of being a producer for a rapper and I don't really know where to get started.
I've only been really working on electronic rock stuff

"it's not about what you add, it's about what you remove"

or something to that end

Sweat.

I use audio technica m40xs, fairly cheap over the head headphones and as far as i know theyre flat, id recommend them for sure

Just watch a shit ton of tutorials. Even tutorials that don't even apply to you. It's just really beneficial in general to just absorb more knowledge.

Also, when practicing/producing, set a timer every 20-30 min. Take a 5 min break then get back to it. It gives you a sense of progression and makes the job less grindey.

Also, if youre looking for speakers, ive heard krk rokits are pretty good, my mate has just bought some, bit pricey though

nias

clyp.it/cwzfswcq?token=09c98f7cb9dc7c757559dbe971c44143

what does this need

I like this, theres a few random effects that i dont feel work, like around 4:47 ish, the main chunk of the song is straight groovy and head bobbin

get a fuckin reportoire
play the shit out of it
learn how it works
make up voice leading that works

this is assuming you know how to spell chords n the basics of functional harmony

focus on manipulating the beat rather than changing it

steal the structure of rap beats you like

make it wide af and leave space in the mids

make the groove fuckin bang and everything else accentuate that one thing

repetition repetition repreprepetition rrrepetition

clyp.it/0312itiq

WIP

hey guys this is my first serious FL project, meaning ive been learning how to use the programs etc.

I am a classically trained composer so im making the transition to electronic.

would appreciate any feedback, also I think im might extend the transitions between themes (a and B) to maybe give it a more trance-y sound.

so when playing a note or frequency, that note is is actually a combination (harmonic?) of the previous, higher notes. whereas the one played is the loudest and lowest frequency?

yes, also includes overtones

I believe harmonies are multiple notes or pitches forming a unique sound, as opposed to melodies which is just a sequence of one notes.

the overtones (harmonics) are a part of the note

the fundamental is the defining part of the note

the overtone series has a strong relationship with the circle of fifths but it doesn't totally line up with our system of tuning

thanks a bunch for the help
i'm still having some trouble understanding exactly.

a harmonic would be like pressing multiple keys on a keyboard at the same time right?

what is an overtone?
what is the fundamental? the lowest frequency note played in the harmonic?

also, pitch=frequency=note?

It depends on what is playing the note. All periodic signals can be represented by a number of sine waves of various frequencies and amplitudes, these are the harmonics.

A single sine tone therefore has no harmonics (its just the fundamental) while a square wave theoretically has infinite.

So I'm trying to write music, but I'm not here to ask how to do that. I'm wondering what software you guys use to do it. Right now, I'm using a website called noteflight, but it doesn't seem to be able to do everything I want it to do (i.e. I can't make certain voices in a lower range have a longer note value if it's being played over shorter notes) and I'm generally still trying to figure it all out. What do you guys use or recommend?

I think you are confusing harmony and harmonics. As a musican you don't really need to know or care that much about harmonics unless you are delving into DSP.

Multiple notes playing at the same time is a chord.

Pitch/frequency/note are often used interchangably but also have non-colloquial definitions.

atm i'm watching the intro to synthesis part 1 video and the guy's currently talking about timbre.

i want to get an understanding of the pic i posted here but i'm having my hard time wrapping my head around it. i may be retarded

clyp.it/tvg03jgs

It's been exactly 1 week and a few Frankjavcee videos since I started fucking around in FL Studio, and this is my most recent shit, which I would have kept on developing until I pulled my headphones and noticed that it sounds like complete utter garbage on speaker, compared to my earbuds.

What the fuck is going and how did I fuck up the mixing this bad?

I need a link for this album!
I want to listen to this album!
Give it now!

If a violin plays a C3 note, and so does a piano, both have the same fundamental frequency (whatever C3 is in hz), but they will sound different, because they have different harmonics.

I have no idea why someone teaching an intro to synthesis is trying to explain harmonics, you really don't need to know about them unless you are using additive synthesis or programming your own physical modelled synth, which most musicans will go their entire career without ever doing.

All synthesizers start with an oscillator or a combination of them, the most common being sine, triangle, saw, and square. These oscillators sound different and have different harmonics, but essentially no-one goes into designing a sound thinking "I'm going to make a sound with the 11th harmonic at X volume today".

If you want to learn synthesis you should start with learning what the different oscilators sound like, and then about how envelopes, filters, and lfos affect the sound. You really don't need to care about the mathematic underpinnings of it all.

Pirate fl or ableton, get off those scummy online 'daws'

Your headphones are likey do not have a truely flat eq.
That could explain your problems, plus mixing on shity headphones or 'beats' is never going to end well.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense, but is there any way I would be able to fix this problem besides just getting better headphones, not that I'm against that.

Also, I'm guessing you have those better headphones, could you tell me how the clyp sounds to you?

go listen to some tutorials on the fundamentals of rhythm.

Shit yeah I literally have 0 knowledge on music. Thanks I think I'm gonna go study for a few months.

wwhy nobody talks about VSTs, fucking can't find decent ones always stuck with a shit sound

What do you think of Sibelius? It looks like it's available for use in the recording lab at my school, I might be able to copy it or just pirate that.