www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/05adjectives/05adjectives.html
www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/03simplenps/03simplenps.html
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Pronunciation#Consonant_variation
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/228483/meaning/m0u/より/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

今日も一日がんばるぞい!

←ものべの

Now you guys are here?

Werent you moved from Sup Forums to /jp/?

What are you doing here now.

魚が好きな人

Based on the simple sentence structure taught before this sentence, my mind tries to deconstruct this sentence into something like "Fish (are the one that is the) likeable person", which obviously makes no sense, but seeing something like ボブが好きな人 would make me assume it meant "Bob is the likeable person" in response to some theoretical question like "Who's the nicest person here?"

But Tae Kim and google translate both agree that it means "People/someone who like fish" or "People/someone who likes Bob", because the entire noun+ga+adjective+na construction is being used to modify the noun at the end (人). How do I learn to spot this and differentiate it from " Bob is the likeable person"?

>いつもの大学までの電車の中で
Is there a rule for parsing multiple 「の」?
It's supposed to mean "On the usual train to university" right? But I sort of feel as if though the order isn't very intuitive, unless there's something I'm missing

this is the "im too dumb to use the japan thread" containment zone

I want to punch her.

We've been here for months, dude. Turn your computer on once in a while.

The「Japanese Thread / 日本語スレッド」is full of tripfags, namefags and expats.

人にボブが好き "people like Bob"
人に好きなボブ "Bob who is liked by people"
ボブが好きな人 "people who like Bob"

ボブに人が好き "Bob likes people"
ボブに好きな人 "people who are liked by Bob"
人が好きなボブ "Bob who likes people"

Thanks. I think it's made more complicated by Tae Kim using 好き as his second example of an adjective in the whole guide. It seems a little complicated, in English all adjectives are stated as objective fact, even obviously subjective stuff like "Carrots are tasty" is objective unless you modify it to "I (personally) find carrots to be tasty" with a verb. It seems like 好き is capable of being stated as intrinsically subjective, making its use is more similar to the English verb "like" rather than the adjective "desirable" or "likeable". Am I correct that use of 好き is actually quite a difficult topic compared to, say, use of 静か ?

This comes up a fair bit with Tae Kim's guide and his usage of 好き here. Do these clips help out?
www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/05adjectives/05adjectives.html
www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/03simplenps/03simplenps.html

#
#
Thank you! I correct it! (=゚ω゚)ノ
綺麗と行ってもらえて嬉しいです
#
This is kaomoji.\( 'ω')/
Japanese keyboard of Phone has kaomoji key(╹◡╹)

Correct my English (*・ω・)ノ

>we firstly played
we first played
but its probably even better as 'First we played'

>Horror game named
'horror game titled' or 'horror game called' sounds a bit better than named.

>old at this distance of time
'old at this point in time'

>but it is interesting even now
'but it is still interesting' or 'but it is still interesting despite its age'

>"Tank" in this game is especially good and hard
What is tank? Don't just say "Tank", the reader has no idea what that means. Say instead, "The character "Tank" in this game" or "The level "Tank" in this game"

>Wii game named
Again, named sounds a little odd here, people, places, and characters have names, games and books have titles.

>This is the game that I have played since
Unless you are really making a point about this game or you had previously mentioned it then it might be better to write it as "This is a game"

>So, we are good at opposing at this game, and we setted the max of CPU level
"Therefore, we are skilled players and we set the CPU to max level"

>Then I arrived home.
You never said you left, this is confusing. Instead write "Then I went home". The reader will assume you completed the journey.

>I am enjoyed today
"I enjoyed today"

>I rided my bycycle
"I rode my bicycle"

>But it is cold without
What does this mean? Do you mean "But It is cold outside"?

I tried to keep it as similar to how you have written as possible:
>After that, We played
>After that, we played

>This game is old at this distance of time, but it is interesting even now.
This game is old but still interesting to this day.

>together and We were able to go on to stage 17.
together and we were able to reach stage 17.

>This is the game
This is a game

>So, We are good at opposing at this game, and We setted Max of CPU level.
Since we're good at the game we set the CPU level to max. [CPU level? As in the enemy difficulty or something?]

>After that We
After that, we

>untill 8 o'clock. Then I arrived home.
until 8 o'clock, after which I left to go home. [The fragmented second sentence and tense is a bit, I don't know, it doesn't flow well.]

>I am enjoyed today.
I enjoyed today.

>I rided my bike
I rode my bike.

>Spring is coming. But it is cold without.
Spring is coming but it's still cold out. / but it is still cold outside. [At least that's what I think you were communicating.]

>Do you know 牛乳の紅茶?
In Australia our tea is generally understood to be drank with milk. It's common to ask "Do you have your tea black or with milk?" Having your tea "black" is without milk.

CPU level isn't used in the west. We usually just say difficulty.

>I am into milk tea
Should be translated to: "I have very bad taste in beverages"

>CPU level isn't used in the west
I have to disagree. Have you never played smash bros before? Besides, CPU level and difficulty are totally separate concepts

Smash is exclusively for autists.

The CPU level in smash bros is a bad engrish relic from the 90s.

they usually mean "The difficulty of the NPC enemies" but we don't really have a western counterpart. Sometimes we say bots/AI but that's all on a game by game basis so the best translation would be just plain "difficulty".

Go ahead and say to a non-gamer that you set the CPU setting to max and they'd think you had overclocked your PC or something.

I want to overclock the CPU level on Ram's rom.

You are right that it's on a game by game basis, but in general I disagree. The term CPU is still commonly used when talking about computer controlled units in fighting games or any 1 on 1 game. The only reason this has come out of favor recently is because people rarely play with CPU's due to online networks and relative growth in popularity in these genres. The term bot can be used interchangeably and may even be more common than CPU but CPU is still completely understood, at least in every group of people I've been in where it comes up. Smash in particular I've only ever heard people refer to them as CPU as in "Level X CPU" because that's what the game calls it.
AI it seems is rarely ever used to specifically call the enemy but is only really used when you talk about the bot or CPU's AI.

It seems like you made all that shit up, but even if it is the case I'd hardly call CPU "engrish". It's just an abbreviation to show that a character is being controlled by the computer.

>I want to overclock the CPU level on Ram's rom.
>overclock the CPU on rom
user do you know how a computer works?

Please consider using a different image next time. These OPs are starting to get stale.

← My suggestion

Not familiar with ネプネプ?

Why do you keep reposting this image?

It's a good picture

very true

yeah nah

Keep it, it's all yours my friend :)

Thinking about learning some japanese. Can I get a quick rundown on how the language works? Syntax and whatnot.

>Read the guide before asking questions.

Just append -san to everybody's name and replace 'r' sounds with 'l' sounds, and you're basically 99% done.

Learning some Japanese is impossible. Trust me I tried. You either go all-out and try to master the language or you'll just have a list of 200 catchphrases that you'll use on your holiday and hope for the best. There's no middle-ground.

Good morning guys.

"本作は、デビュー作にしてサウンドメイクを一手に引き受ける窪田晴男の才能が爆発しており、坂本龍一をして上野耕路や野見祐二と並ぶ才気あふれる若手アレンジャーの1人に数えられた窪田のアレンジ能力が堪能できます。"

(context is about an album)

Does anybody know what をして is doing here? Is it just to add emphasis?

Well it's a lot more useful than the other one so I'm fine with this one being a containment zone

i'll have a watch later, thanks

yes, suki and kirai etc are adjectives that are used like A ni B ga adj. it's a special type but i don't know the formal name. compare with verbs that are also A ni B ga verb, such as wakaru and dekiru.

of course most of the time, they use ha instead of ni, and that the correct case marker of the "subject" is ni is in some cases of textbooks/courses never mentioned.

if you search for "subject restriction" i think you should be able to find information about how subjective words are treated in japanese

>上 and 下
Oh for fucks sake, there are so many verbs using these kanji, jesus. How am I supposed to remember them all?

ok, watched those, the second one was very helpful and should be sufficient for making sense of easy to moderate grammatical structures, which is more than enough for me for now.

cheers. sounds like it's a well defined distinction, so i'll read up on it properly once i have a better understanding of simple grammar. for now i'll just ignore tae kim's attempts to force 好き into the lessons and substitute simpler adjectives to check if the form works, otherwise i'll waste hours trying to figure out what's going on with subject restrictions before I even know simple syntax

Exposure. Don't try to actively remember them just let your brain slowly get used to them.

大丈夫だって、これからより難しいことになる =)

kek it's a bit sweet, but the rose flavour is actually quite nice in that drink

why you gotta hate on leaf water user

I just recorded the audios, I do not take part in these autistic discussions.

they usually make sense though

I'm having difficulty pronouncing 上げる. Is the げ pronounced like "ge" or "nge"? the Anki deck makes it sound like "nge"

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Pronunciation#Consonant_variation
also see the section below, which explains that n sound changes depending on what came before it as well

What's the difference between formal/informal and polite/impolite? How do です, である, だあります and でございます differ from each other?

です, である I think these two are the same level of politeness, just different conjugations(second is tearu form)
だあります I think this should be "de"(で) instead of "da" (だ)
As far as im aware -masu is more polite/formal than -desu, and -gosaru(Almost not used i think) is even more polite. I'm probably wrong though.

desu and masu is on the same level though.
masu ends verbs
desu means "is", so it's used after nouns

です is short for であります

The basic registers you need to be aware of in Japanese are ため口, which is casual or impolite language used with friends, family, equals, etc., 丁寧語, which is formal or polite language used with strangers, elders, superiors, etc., and 尊敬語 / 謙譲語, which are honorific and humble language for extremely polite situations. Sometimes 丁寧語, 尊敬語, and 謙譲語 are called 敬語 collectively.

だ and である are ため口, but である sounds more like a literary word. です, であります and でございます are 丁寧語, although でございます is the most polite out of the three. I don't think であります is used very much at all. 尊敬語 and 謙譲語 don't have their own version of the copula and generally just use 丁寧語 です or でございます.

I agree that the OP pictures are getting stale, but I don't think we should use the "grab my hand bro" pic as the OP.

>これからより
I don't think that's right. That makes it sound like "more than from here on it gets harder."

I think 「これからもっと難しいことになる」seems more natural. Could someone more experienced confirm this for me?

ナイスですね。どのインクを入れた?

Maybe a topic particle after から could work better. I was trying to use to use the adverb version of より.

It looks to me like he's trying to use it as an adverb to modify 難しい, as in 「これから、より難しいことになる」, which is acceptable grammatically. I can't answer you about how natural it sounds, though.

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/228483/meaning/m0u/より/

A Japanese lady I know called me kawaii and then kicked me in the balls. She is forcing me to take her to a expensive restaurant and have me pay for it. She scares me because one second she looks innocent and the next she kicks me in the balls. What should I tell her in Japanese?

金玉は痛いです

Would anyone mind translating this? From a TRANSFORMERS advert:

Can I go a couple days without adding any new vocab to anki or will that fuck something up?

"Latest in Transformers Generations, we will feature bigly Legends edition Trypticon's newest mold sample on an exclusive photographic page!"

That's just a rough translation of the first sentence, someone else can do the rest

「俺の金玉は痛いから蹴らないで下さい。」

meant for

The vocab decks that put all the 上 and 下 words in the same review are hell for me. If they spread them apart more, I'd probably have an easier time with them in Anki, but as it is I need to learn them outside of my deck.

Why do you think spreading them out would be easier? You would only be putting the problem off till later

>ふしぎなチカラを宿した 石碑がある。しかし 今は なにも起きないようだ。
What does 宿した do in this sentence? I can't figure it out for the life of me

A monument that possessed a mysterious power.

wow I'm stupid, guess I need to sleep
thanks

>ケチケチしなさんな見物料は項いてんのよ
What is 見物料?

price earned for exhibiting

What's the difference between 女とセックスする and 女にセックスする?

I think it's the difference between with and to

I don't think the latter is correct. It gives only 4 results in google with the と one gives over a million.

In one of them the woman is your bed.

Being shown 下る 下す 下さる 下り 下りる and 下ろす all within a few minutes of each other, early on in vocabulary lists, makes it easier to confuse them while they are still new and unfamiliar. Yes they still need to be learned eventually, but having them all at once might make it more difficult to remember them without crossing the wires and stumbling on confusing them with the others.

My bigger question is why セックスする and not a japanese word. Did the japs not have a word for "having sex" until the Americans came?

Shows how beta they are

Yeah, and they didn't have words for milk, tea and clothing.

They had alll sorts of ways to say it, both polite and vulgar. But they adopted セックスする because language changes with time, and foreign words have a certain trendiness to them.

Wait, really? How does that even happen? How can a language lack words for basic bodily functions for centuries?
>milk
乳?
>tea
茶?
>clothing
服?

>How can a language lack words for basic bodily functions for centuries?
Just hold up the object you're referring to, or a picture of it, and mumble while pointing to it

精子

the latter doesn't make sense to be strict.

in English, give someone sex or the like is common for the meaning of having sex with someone?

It depends on each person
If a person really wants to have sex with a stranger, there are ways but people in relationships have passionate sex

>give someone sex
Yeah it's common slang to walk up to women and ask them to "give me the pussy". Even our president does it.

I see, interesting.
>Even our president does it.
indeed it's very likely to happens

>ひと目くらい構やしないだろ
I can't understand meaning of this sentence, can anyone help?

人の(目)は構わないでしょ

Sorry.
>人(の)目
人目 is an expression.

i think it's something like "You don't mind people looking, right?"

it doesn't matter if I/we glance at that(be mentioned last sentence)

>"You don't mind people looking, right?"
It's true, thank.

don't be stupid. that's 一目. you'll get it when googling 一目会いたい

WotD: 一目惚れ

I want to marry the Anki Kanji Lady.

but our word for tea is just borrowed from the japanese!

"Chá"