/daily/ - Hot Moms Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread: → #

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/_daily-rym-users/
rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/1
i.imgur.com/3psz17l.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=YGyAu71b72c
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/cosmo-pyke/just-cosmo/
twitter.com/hardyguideyman/status/865197117517815808
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

jimmy jazz's mom has got it going on

I would jimmy jizz in mommy jazz

pic related my man

i can see why less bleep-ish people would like Easy Lee, but that choice of album cover probably hurts the album the most. The color of it is gross.

hello?

I like the cover. It reminds me of vegetals

reminds me of ass juice

you just like dull colors

If your ass juice is green you need to see somone

It's just "artichoke" in spanish which the cover is probably designed after

zappa and mothers - one size fits all

new second favorite zappa album. the prog flavors are pulled off really well on here never getting too jammy for its own good. inca roads is an absolute jam and a shorter more focused album really works for zappa although i think the soloing on pojama people sucks preeetty hard.
the more common and upfront jazzy piano is really nice. does zappa do any other heavy piano stuff, fish? i also love the zolo-ish intro on can't afford no shoes.

this was a fun little zappa marathon. having heard the entire mothers catalog is a nice thing to check off. i think i'll do a jazz chart next from stuff i have wishlisted on rym.

Would highly rec peeping Roxy & Elsewhere, especially since so many of the Zappa albums you heard were often also partially recorded live. It's his most similar to One Size Fits All and I guarantee you'll get a kick out of it.

>does zappa do any other heavy piano stuff, fish? i also love the zolo-ish intro on can't afford no shoes.
If you're looking for more proggy/zolo stuff I'd rec Studio Tan. It's Zappa's arguably most "progressive" but a lot of it just doesn't do it for me. The final song, RDNZL, is one of his best songs if not the best song from the genre.

If you want mor Hot Rats-esque fusion/prog, I'd highly rec Waka/Jawaka and Sleep Dirt, which are often called Hot Rats 2 & 3.

Have you heard Lumpy Gravy btw? That's Zappa doing a bunch of pretty interesting experimental works that I think anyone who likes WOII4TM would enjoy.

If you're into Zappa's Synclavier works like Jazz From Hell I'd also rec Civilization Phase III and Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison (an archival album of his 80s work).

The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, Make a Jazz Noise Here, and You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore 1 & 2 are also stellar live performances with more fun shit similar to Roxy.

If you want something more conventional with less wacky voices popping up everywhere, Zoot Allures might be something you might enjoy, though I only personally care for the s/t track at all.

If you want the humor back in full force with some great, expanding instrumentation, I'd rec Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti, and You Are What You Is.

A jazz chart sounds cool though. What's your RYM? Would you wanna be added to this list: rateyourmusic.com/list/I_AM_FISH/_daily-rym-users/ ?

btw I'm making my next chart rn. If there's something from here you really want me to hear from here lemme know:
rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/1

thanks for the big guide!
i am ~agent_scully you can add me to the list if ya like. i'm pretty sure most everyone here has me added except for newer people
and from that collection check out kate bush never for ever and jens lekman's maple leaves. v great stuff.

i.imgur.com/3psz17l.jpg

The Replacements - Tim (1985)1
>alternative rock, power pop

As long as I live I will never get the hype for this damn band. This is just the same brand of inoffensive, poppy alt rock they already did on Let It Be, with very little alterations. It’s more power poppy, I can definitely dig the Big Star influence, but the songs (save for “Bastards of Young”) aren’t that great or memorable. They’re decent little pop tunes, but they’re all cut from the exact same cloth. Tommy Ramone’s production isn’t terribly great either, everything here sounds paper-thin. The appeal is totally lost on me.

2.0+

The Meters - The Meters (1969)
>funk, new orleans R&B, deep funk

35 minutes of rock-solid, cool as shit instrumental funk. Can get a bit muzaky, being instrumental funk and all, but the band is too tight and too on point to ever let that become a huge problem. Every instrumentalist is playing super complex lines while making it sound so effortless. Beyond being a technical marvel, it’s just a really enjoyable listen, the grooves are deep and soulful, and it’s all produced incredibly well.

3.0+

Dr. John - Locked Down (2012)
>new orleans R&B

Legitimately on par with Gris-Gris, which is incredibly impressive considering the two albums have a 44 year gap between each other, but I’m still not sold on Dr. John’s sound. This is a lot less free than Gris-Gris, a lot more grounded in funk and CCR-esque swamp rock rather than rock. As such, the sound loses some urgency, but given the fact that the dude was in his 70s when this came out, it’s alright. The bluesier tracks aren’t that great, Dan Auerbach turns in a good performance but he also brings some songwriting influence in that takes away from the better tracks. The funkier tracks are the best, but the focus on blues makes this more spotty than it needs to be. Still, damn impressive for an album so late in Dr. John’s career.

2.5+

oh shit yeah I've had you added as a friend for a while now

that rating scale is hilarious btw

S U F J A N
U
F
J
A
N

Hello?

hey ;)

>use a water canteen for 7 months that I got free
>recently notice some granule in my mouth after finish drinking
>assume it was shit that got in, wash out canteen
>use for another month
>crumb appears again
>check inside the canteen with a flashlight
>dozens of white dots coating the inside of the bottle
>mfw I was drinking mold water for a month and didn't even notice

Anyways Nils Frahm and Jon Hopkins made really good LateNightTales mixes and you should listen to them

no one saw that

You gave me a (You) and then you took it away from me :,(

i'm old school daily... i've just been hiding from view

(I also posted this on /metal/)
I've been trying to get into metal and pic related shows some of the albums I've particularly liked so far (I'm aware it's all very entry-level). Can anyone give any recommendations based on these? Thanks.

child abuse - cut and run
brobdingnagian - pretty magoo cancer

hey good stuff. sounds like plants growing

the cover looks like vegetation, perfectly suits the feel of the album imo

thank you!

hello /daily/ i have never posted in these threads before

be nice to me

Henlo

What music u like

NO

i dont have a favorite genre but ive been listening to a bit of psych lately

pleas

no

N E W C H A R T

I like the idea of themed charts and this is really my first full one because they take forever to sort.

Row 1: /daily/ recs
Row 2: Japan
Row 3: Post-Punk
Row 4: Also Post-Punk
Row 5: Vidya OSTs
Row 6: Jazz
Row 7: Jazz Fusion
Row 8: Bleeps (took some liberties with that name lmao)
Row 9: Music in non-English languages (no Japan)
Row 10: 2017 + a D2D album I wanna hear cuz this year sucks and I'm not interested in anything that hasn't already leaked

What do y'all think? Y'all hype for anything in particular?

how much have you dove into grindcore? TECHNICALLY it's an off-shoot of hardcore punk, but stylistically it's basically just the best version of metal (if you ask anyone but RYM and transgod). Highly rec Pig Destroyer, Discordance Axis, and Insect Warfare.

Have you heard Colors by Between the Buried and Me? That's basically the only prog metal album I like.

Be sure to check out that Andy Stott album.
And thanks for your recommendations, I should probably listen to more grindcore. I thought Discordance Axis was alright, and I'll listen to that Between the Buried and Me album.

ENOUGH

have you listened to any Full of Hell? they did a collab with The Body which i quite liked
youtube.com/watch?v=YGyAu71b72c

I finished these a few days ago, slow on posting them due to getting a new laptop and a cold.

>Fishmans - 98.12.28 男達の別れ
Ok what the fuck do I say about this other than how beautiful it is, by the second track I was already crying. The fact that this being the last thing Shinji played with the band before he died, with the band disbanding as a result really adds a whole new perspective to appreciate the music. There are moments that aren't as great as others but soon enough it will dive back into it's best. Walking in the Rhythm isn't as great as it's studio counterpart sadly.

Then the 2nd disc starts with that chilling siren on ゆらめき in the Air, wonderful track. Then It ends with a 41 min version of Long Season, the moment I've been waiting for, and it is miles ahead of the studio version. It eradicates all the bad things and improves on everything the studio version did creating another one of the best songs I have ever heard ever. This whole album is too sincere to be real.
11-/11

>The Cornell Lab of Ornithology - Voices of North American Owls
Quite a cozy relaxing album, I originally thought this was going to be nothing but Owl sounds, but there's also the variety of background noises too and It's quite interesting to see how all the different species sound and act. Great memories of going out camping. The 2nd disc does suffer from the recordings being too short to fully absorb them bringing down the score from a 7- originally.
6+/11

>Dead - Musical Abortions
My original score was a 2+ so I'm super glad I revisited this. It's fun, though definitely lacking.
6/11

That's the essentials done, listening to Shamepai's next.

le mem

fuck gotta change my trip

still angerey about that LRD review

What happened to my rec? :/
There are 4 rows where you could have put it...

listening 2 fishmans "long season" right now

that iosys album is wild fun but it's also very wtf
everyone's listening to wolfman i should get on that

>it's also very wtf
racist.

>"""performing""" live for the first time in years now on Saturday

huh wow rip Chris Cornell

tonite

is it a solo performance or will you have Sachiko M and Otomo Yoshihide with you

rude

the Cornell of the Cornell Lab of Ornitology? :0

Uchu Nippon Setagaya > Long Season

He made all the owl calls on that album, pretty impressive imo

Really? This ruins a lot of the magic for me, I appreciate authenticity in music

prepare for dissapointment with La Lucha

Wheres the 3 wjw albums? Think i was memeing i would NEVER do that m8 i swear on yo mama

hey there NERDS
tourney round two is over
for round three i'll need recs from
Torts
Blapp
Stick
Yamir

p.s. reviews are for DORKS

Янкa - Пpoдaнo!

er
for you
ahem

Seeking Mark And to recc me for tourney
faarked up with ethy

hmmmm
otomo yoshihide - dreams

2017 is the theme right

I'm gonna lose this one

Bedwetter was already recced right?

if so,
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/cosmo-pyke/just-cosmo/

thanc

>reviews are for DORKS
Wait is this true?

>The Books
>Magazine
>Television
>The Movies
>The Music Tapes

huh

Wow, rod reccs the white album? Surprising

dont get cheeky with me bud youll regret it

:0

Tragic Mulatto - Judo For The Blind (rym robot man)
You'd expect something being a "punk jazz" to be weirder and more of a mess, but this thing is actually quite consistent. It's not very complex, incredibly accessible for something so experimental. While maybe the lyrics are a bit wannabe witty, you don't even pay attention, bc of the voice's charisma.

Pere Ubu - Datapanik in the Year Zero (Terminus)
It's got a remarkable rhythm. The sound is great, though I expected something more energetic and catchy (Pere Ubu is my go-to for experimental catchy). To me the vocals' potential wasn't used to the fullest here as well.

Now we witness the battle of Shamepai with a machine. Since bot doesn't have an overall rating, Shamepai's previous successful performance wouldn't matter in this final round. Will humans be eventually beaten by the machines as it was intended by like idk common sense? Or will the sexually frustrated boy from Venezuela save the humanity from its inevitable submission to robot overlords? We'll c........

u were planning on letting robot win all along baka

whats that album with a man standing in a field with a guitar that is black and white
wtf i'm humanities last hope
i only meme'd myself to the finals

humanity's last hope
le fug

Guitar Solos by Fred Firth?

cool album anyway

BREAKING NEWS:
ya boi was named BEST MUSCIAN in his yearbook. truly an honor

>best muscian

I didn't know you were black.

>best muscian
nice

This isn't true.

thank you. feels really special
me neither
i wish it weren't

yeah it's that one
was hoping for an american primitivism album doe
poste pic e u dingus

Do Muscians hunt Muscovy Ducks?

is it a school for the deaf tho

mayb
i sure as hell don't. save the whales.
probably, i havent been able to hear since listening to Radiohead's experimental masterpiece, OK Computor.

Fuck the Welsh and their eldritch language.

insightful refiew

yes

why did no one tell us before now :(

damn : (

Dear Mr. S,

I'll be in Madrid for the weekend, starting tomorrow evening. Please send me your phone number over RYM message so I can send you a """message""".

xxxx,

Lewdwanker

lmao gay

Normil Hawaiians - What's Going On? (rym robot man) vs John Fahey - Guitar Vol. 4 (The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party and Other Excursions) (Shamepai)
I don't normally rate post-punk that high, but this Normil Hawaiians piece is amazing. It's like a thought-through mechanism - every single track has its distinct function and is essential to whole piece. Has an amazing sound too. Also, #freetibet.
I liked Fahey, though I heard him for the first time, I guess primitivism is really my thing, since I like Basho as well.

So that's it, folks. Shamepai saved the humanity and gets to rec up to 15 albums for a drone. Robot, who placed second recs 10 albums. Terminus can rec up to 7 albums, being on a third place.

Kanzler won the bet, predicting Shamepai's victory. Since he placed the bet very early in the tourney, he gets to rec up to 10 albums.

twitter.com/hardyguideyman/status/865197117517815808

sent ;)

The democratic system in my country is crumbling to ashes, music for this feel?

>send you a """message"""
l-l-lewd

new /daily/ op pic

how do we know its you when you censored both the name and pic????

heck i got scared and thought the results were in

whoa sick
i know youre hungarian so......
bikini - hova lett

how would you know its me even with the name/face uncensored????? or is that the joke??????

its rlly me i promise

I am a big gay haha

Enter Shikari
Red Army Choir

Zane put your trip back on