Any physicists on Sup Forums...

Any physicists on Sup Forums? My question: given how massive the universe is why doesn't it collapse under its own gravity?

dark energy.

There's not enough matter in the universe to generate enough gravity for a collapse.

Similar to a rocket at escape velocity from earth, the universe's rate of expansion is higher than the pull of gravity.

This is the current name for what causes the universe to have acceleration in its expansion that overcomes the attraction of common matter.

This is very very wrong although the universe actually has relatively few massive particles in it.

Expansion man

Gravity isn't that powerful.

Hell you can overcome the gravity of a whole planet with 2 legs.

It's even called a weak force when used in science.

Starting as an infinitely condensed point of matter it would have collapsed back in on itself without an inflationary period, in which space rapidly expanded momentarily, before shaking itself out and receding to a slight expansion.

Overall, we also live in a flat universe. There is as much matter/energy as possible BEFORE the universe would begin to collapse in on itself. Also space has a euclidean geometry.

think about how a supernova works.

why wouldn't it just stay a small ball?

there is enough energy in the shockwave to overcome the force of gravity, and since gravity decreases with distance, is not like it's going to suddenly pull it back.

it seems like it should over a long enough timescale, but we have discovered "dark energy" which is making space more spread out faster than gravity could contract it.

this is just a property of our universe. it is expanding faster than gravity could contract it. we're not really sure why but it definitely is.

Repulsive gravity

It's the midichlorians.

Given that we dont really know the nature of the universe, for all we know the universe may be be round and in fact the outer edges are moving towards each other rather than away in some giant cosmic loop

there are very few massive particles we can see, anyway. Dark matter is supposedly everywhere. But if the "big crunch" were in the future of the universe, we probably wouldnt be seeing it accelerate away from us.

probably because its still being propelled by the energy caused by the big bang still just wait till that ends and everything starts over again

80 billion light years across and Dark energy not only over powers gravity but is causing an expansion.

Read brian greenes the hidden reality

Wrong. Universal expansion is speeding up. Energy from the early universe creation by a big bang can't explain that bro...

I agree I think the universe is in for a heat death then a cool

Lets take the Star for example. The Star says "alive" because the particles inside it are so hot they refuse to go anywhere near each other, however when stars die (we'll pretend it's a star large enough to supernova) and fusion does not produce more energy than it uses, the star collapses under it's own gravity and the particles that once refused to collide now are forced to collide. This is how Neutron Stars/Black Holes form (I believe i'm correct, although there may be a discrepancy in there somewhere).

We will say the Universe functions like a star. Nothing wants to collide until gravity finally overwhelms it and the Universe collapses. We'll pretend that the particles in the star is dark energy. Nobody knows how the Universe will die though.

Energy alone isn't enough to keep the Universe alive.

Gravity is not a constant, Mass of an object defines it's gravitational force you idiot, earths gravity is weak, but i'd like to see you stand up near a collapsing proto-star or the even horizon of a black hole.

its doesnt have a center of gravity

>it is expanding faster than gravity could contract it. we're not really sure why but it definitely is.

Ever throw a big enough rock into a pond? Ever see the waves leaving the center? This is how I imagine universe is expanding. Even if we tried to catch up to the outer waves, there's no way we ever could. Gravity will never pull those outer waves back in,mins read it will continue to move throughout, not space, but creating space as it pushes whatever it is that's trying to contain it.

17 replies not a single one commenting on the OPs picture

you really are a bunch of low test fag nerds holy shit

Cuz gravity stronk

Gravity is only a theory you fucking retard

Yeah it's a vagina, big deal.

Nope, You're the only 15yr old unable to have a conversation without being distracted by an attention whore

space...
and time as well

>17 replies not a single one commenting on the OPs picture
did you just hit puberty boi?

goose eggs gravity is actually a ripple in space time look up gravity waves

>Gravity is only a theory
b8 is b8 i guess

You know those flying metal aluminum cans in the sky with people in? The way they stay in the air is just a theory, the theory of flight.

The ratio between matter and vaccum in the universe is comparable to salt and h2O in the ocean.

It's mostly nothing with a sprinkle of something.

Also gravity's pull wears off greatly even over short distances.

He beat me to it. Mass creates gravitational force. Say you have a bed sheet. You and 3 other faggots take each corner of the sheet and stretch it out until it's tight as virgin pussy. The sheet represents the fabric of the universe. Then I come along and place a softball in the center. The ball represents a planet.
The weight of the ball will cause the fabric around it to bend inwards towards the mass. The bending you see can be thought of as it's gravitational influence.
So now you can place a small rubber ball on the sheet. If the small rubber ball is within the gravitational influence of the larger ball, naturally it will "fall" towards the larger ball.
This isn't at all how gravity works but it's a good visual representation.

Typical human arrogance.

Everyone knew the earth was flat. Everyone knew the earth was 4000 years old. Everyone knew we were alone in the universe.

Current physics has been explained above. Forbidden knowledge will tell us otherwise.

Those who speak, do not know. Those who know, do not speak.

Sorry ASPEC.

cause the gravitational force decays with the third power of the radius and electromagnetic forces are MUCH higher.

sorry, second obviously.

It is only a theory, google is your friend, we can observe it's reactions but we do not know what it is, "gravitons" have not been observed.