6^2/2(3)+4
=6*6/2*3+4
=36/2*3+4
=18*3+4
=54+4
=58
>fight me

BODMAS

'brackets','orders','division','multiplication','addition','subtraction'.

this isnt smart, its the most baisic of mathematical algorithm.

6^2 / 2(3) + 4
6^2 / 6 + 4
36 / 6 + 4
6 +4
ans = 10

surprised to see someone who can actually do math in here, cheers!

((6^2)/(6))+4=10

MFW you're all wrong because / doesn't exactly work the same as ÷ (obelus)

spotted the autist, do you call the del operator the nabla operator too?

The correct way to write out the equation would be pic related. The division sign, without parantheses, only ever applies to whatever comes directly after, yet, for purpose of precision, you simply don't use it with multiple terms on the right of it, it's bad practice.

ww.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6%C2%B2%2F2(3)%2B4

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=6²÷2(3)+4

neck yourself fag

stand corrected, what the fuck haha

The way I was taught in elementary was PEMDAS.

Parenthesis
Exponents
/Multiplication
\Division
/Addition
\Subtraction

Using this method I got 10

It's PEDMAS though.

Check the wolfram alpha links, the (3) and the ÷ make this a bit tricky

No, a division doesn't have the priority over a multiplication, PEMDAS or PEDMAS are both somewhat wrong as it can lead you to think division comes first, as well as addition over substraction

PEMDAS and PEDMAS is literally the same. Division and multiplication have the exact same priority.

Example:
-- x 4 =

2 x 4 = 8

or

-- x 4 =

--- = 8

PEMDAS is merely a shorthand for small children to get it kind of right. However the amount of adults who still don't know the priorities is worrying.

You are all such a bunch of raging faggots it really is funny. The answer is six million Jews

62 / 6 + 4
=10.33 + 4
=14.33

don't know why you type the little 2

The ( ) aren't priority over anything here, it's not like there's an operation within them, it's simply a replacement for multiplication meaning that it doesn't occur first or before the exponent.

Therefore 58

Pentas has spoken

6^2/2(3)+4
36/2(3)+4
36/6+4
6+4
pemdas guys come on this is like 6th grade shit
Parentheses Exponents Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction

2(3) is just like 2x3 and not (2x3)

PEMDAS or not the answer is 58 because of the obelus and the fact that the parenthesis aren't used for the multiplication

correct

There is no correct answer because of the ambiguous manner by which the expression is written.

6^2/2(3)+4
36/2 (3)+4
18 (3)+4
54+4
>There

Nigger

Those digits

youtu.be/HYL5GHXKT6Q

For those that don't get why the answer is 10

Alright i had that teacher who always say , you dumb heads ALWAYS REMOVE THE FUCKING ( ) FIRST

Its ten dumbasses

Pemdas

As a math teacher, the order for PEMDAS has multiplication and division at the same level of priority. Because of this, you do the operations from left to right once you get to that level. Using this, you get 58.
6^2 / 2(3)+4
36/2(3)+4
18(3)+4
54+4
Btw, the parentheses around the 3 mean multiplication, it doesn't give the multiplication of 2 and 3 priority, as some of you are doing. It's only operations within the parentheses that get priority, and since there are none, you leave it be.

>fiver quints
woah, absolute truth

Can you, as a teacher, tell me what the fuck is going on with people not knowing how to solve the most basic problems?

6 x small 2 = small 12, devided by 2 = small 6, ?????? + 4 = small 64 + in the closet 3

They forget the left to right rule

Clarify first.

Retarded US education system teaching PEMDAS to people who then think it's true to do multiplications before divisions

There's no such thing here in Europe (even though there's a lot of people that don't apply the correct order.)

It's most likely the way the problem is written and the spelling of PEMDAS. I know that when I grew up, I assumed that multiplication came first because the M came before the D. However, in like 4th grade, I learned how it actually was. I guess some people just tuned out that day. Or they just forgot.

If you were actually doing a calculation of importance, you wouldn't use that symbol for division, you'd use an inverse factor.

3.6 is the right answer
> i'm a professor at the computer science department of an university

People for get it is more PE.MD.AS each is broken into a pair those two are done at the same time from left to right. P is only operations inside of the parentheses and when operating in a specific pair the left most symbol is done first. So basically there are a bunch of rules and most people only remember the acronym and screw up applying it.

What if 6^2 ÷ 2(3)+4 =x
Find x ?
Can somebody actually solve this one for me ?

I'm a math tutor and I refer to it as PEMA. Division is inverse multiplication and subtraction is inverse addition.

The value of the expression is equal to x. It has already been solved.

kek

>comic sans

Das right mang

A one line problem doesn't change in value ?

-58 ?

OH GOD OH GOD OHHHH GOOODDD
QUINT QUINTS PLEASE DADDY GOD QUINT ALL OVER ME OH GOD YESSSSS

58 + 18x

>Sup Forums is smart, right.......?

Yes, we am.

you stupid cunts you never use this shit -:- in math

This should be the moral lesson of this thread. That and how to fucking use PEMDAS.

58?

This

Depends on interpretation.
Wolfram alpha would interpret the sign differently and give the answer 10. If it is interpreted as a "/" it would be 58. In Denmark it would be interpreted as a "-" sign and it would be 32.
TL;DR: The question is ambiguous.

It's 10 you iliterate fucking cockgoblinzs.

The answer is:

trump 2016

This.
Clearly no university students on Sup Forums.

That is not the correct way.

bedmas bedmas bedmas

BIMDAS

Brackets: (3) = 3
Indices: 6^2 = 36
Multiplication: 2*3 = 6
(when two numbers are next to each other it's automatically multiplication)
Division: 36/6 = 6
Addition: 6+4 = 10
Subtraction: None

ANSWER = 10

But that means nothing since the rest of the world interprets Denmark as a retarded country

4 and ½ potato

Who gets off to this?

Bimdas??? The fuck is that caveman shit?? Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally or PEMDAS you fucking Neanderthal

This.

retards

the issue here is that people don't realize that 2(3) is one term. so they take the 36 and divide it by two before multiplying the 2(3), which is incorrect. it would be safe to do that if the equation spoke 2x3, making it two separate terms. the answer is 10 you uneducated faggots.

sources: im a mechanical engineer and was able to make it past college algebra unlike most of you low life fat fucks.

62 / 2 = 31
31 * 3 = 93
93 + 4 = 97

University Professorfag here (Not maths, Astronomy), I believe the answer is 58.

you're the reason our education system is failing.

Multiplication does NOT come before division. They are treated the EXACT SAME way, and therefore we tackle division and multiplication together from left to right. I honestly don't know why you're learning BIMDAS or PEMDAS, it's misguiding.
The answer is 58.

Fuck off M8, you're not a real prof.
The answer is 8

idk i can post.

op is a retard
ambious and into the trash it goes

This is the correct answer to your problem

Are you fucking stupid? Do you know how brackets work?

>They are treated the EXACT SAME way
>therefore we tackle division and multiplication together from left to right
haha no
there is no left to right or right to left

>oh look, i wrote the most basic of math in a retarded way im so clever

please kill yourself and all the retards that think solving this right proves they know math while their math stops at the level where letters go in the equation instead of numbers

It means you solve that part last

>americans need snappy catch phrases to remember elementary math correctly

This guy gets it