2nd choice - high and low
honorary mention - 7 samurai

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cEKQoV4kqqE
youtu.be/W5MtUiYxBiY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i mean ran is great but i don't know man

would take ikiru, ran and dersu uzala tbqh lad

its really down to personal taste at the top with him.. you can make arguments that would feel legitimate for a lot of his movies. props for mentioning high and low too.

no regrets for our youth is criminally underrated imo

yeah, it's like a dozen fantastic films with this guy, but I rewatched this one last night and boy oh boy...

High and Low
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Kagemush
Ran
Ikiru
(Not in any order)

So many great choices with this man.

You haven't seen Ran, have you?

It is so easy to believe any of his movies are his best because they're all that good. Most of them anyway.

>>

I know Yojimbo is more significant for its legacy but I think Sanjuro is overall a more enjoyable film. It's funnier, has snappier pacing, better action, and gets right to the point quicker than Yojimbo. The best for introducing friends to Kurosawa IMO.

As said though it's ultimately personal taste; some people think his simple movies with simple stories are the best, some people think his more reflective films take the cake, and some people think Dreams is the best. I think. Someone out there must think so.

I forget the difference between Yojimbo and Sanjuro. Which is the one where he actually gets hurt?

they beat his shit up in yojimbo

KUROSAWA POWER RANKINGS COMING THROUGH:

KINO Tier:
>One Wonderful Sunday
>High and Low
>Ran

PATRICIAN Tier:
>Everything else except The Most Beautiful

What the fuck am I watching Tier:
>The Most Beautiful

quads of truth

I think Sanjuro is his best for the reasons stated

It and Seven Samurai are my favorites.
Guilty to say but Ran made me sleepy.
I still need to try Rashomon and Stray Dog

the crazy estranged emperor meme bored me af as well, but a masterpiece nonetheless

Ikiru. That scene where Shimura is singing on the playground. The first and only scene in a movie that has ever made me cry.

I think Seven Samurai is his best. The movie feels like a very complete experience, it has a great character arc, the plot flows nicely, there's a good story and there are some interesting themes featured. All his movies are great actually.

>no love for Throne of Blood
It's goddamn Shakespeare + Noh. The dramatic tension is exceptional, it's spooky as fuck, and the character study side of it is up there with Ikiru.

But I agree that it's more about personal taste, though, just like it is with most great directors. Ranking his films objectively is impossible.

That slow war drum theme that plays throughout the movie is one of the most memorable and iconic cinematic portrayals of human conflict I've ever heard. 100% not memeing.

youtu.be/cEKQoV4kqqE

Hidden Fortress seems a bit underrated. It evolves from a mystery film into a chase-thriller without botching the thematic handoff.

I fucking love it.
Yamada and Mifune are in a few of Kurosawa's movies, but they're at their nutty best in ToB.

youtu.be/W5MtUiYxBiY
Absolute madmen.

Sanjuro IMO

I agree, very underrated. It spawned the most popular movie of all time, you gotta give Kurosawa credit for that.

Star Wars.
Lucas said The Hidden Fortress and the works of Joseph Campbell were the biggest influences

>swipe transitions and a comedy serf duo in the middle of war
Georgey is such a fedora tipper for claiming that. He clearly took more "influence" from the serials he mercilessly ripped from.

>influences
He pretty much just lifted the plot and put it in space. And don't forget how he stole Darth Vader from Phantom Of The Paradise.

I prefer the 7 samurai to yojimbo desu sempai.

Probably my favorite of his. It's just such a nice adventure.

Wouldn't that be Ralph McQuarrie?

I believe Rashomon was one of the most influential and well crafted of his work, but maybe not the most enjoyable.

I like Yojimbo a lot. I recently watch Sanjuro and really liked that ending duel, but it wasn't as good as Yojimbo

So far that's all I've seen of Kurosawa. Got a bunch of movies downloaded and ready to watch this week though.

I would say it is my favourite. But I haven't seen high and low yet.

I could have seen it being pretty interesting at the time but I feel it didn't age that well. A lot of his movies are fairly timeless but this felt like it was made with a gimmick in mind and the gimmick has now worn off.

It's enjoyable don't get me wrong, but probably my least favorite of his I've seen.

Who cares? All garbage except for this.

Maybe I should rewatch his samuraishit because I'm suprised Ikiru and High and Low aren't unanimously the best

>Ralph McQuarrie
Sure, but it's still Lucas's film, and usually concept artists don't just do whatever the fuck they want. They follow the director's suggestions. Considering everything else he ripped off with the plot (and what he did with the prequels), I wouldn't be surprised if he just told McQuarrie to "draw inspiration" from Phantom of the Paradise and make it spacey.

same here, i'm starting to think these plebs haven't even seen Ikiru

aylmaooo xD

I thought Ikiru was boring.

>tfw too pleb to fully enjoy Kurosawa because of the ear bleeding audio

It's a shame they can never clean up the audio as well as they clean up the image

>tfw I've listened to operas recorded in the 30s

For some reason I find the shitty audio quality quite charming.

i wouldn't necessarily say it's his best but I do feel Lower Depths is undermentioned in his filmography