How long until VHS tapes become unplayable?

How long until VHS tapes become unplayable?

maybe a few decades?

depends how old they are

Wtf how are those tapes floating?

Have you never seen a VHS tape before?

They are laying on the ground. It isnt a shelf

Will anyone miss VHS when it's gone forever?

For that matter, how long do early CDs & DVDs have before they fail too?

about 20 years if you never play them. You lose about a month every time you play them. Pausing strips away about a month per second.

>You lose about a month every time you play them

That's not true is it? Holy shit, that's even worse than playing Vinyl Records then.

{{citation-needed}}

Shit will still be kinda visible after 240 plays. Takes a really long time or a ton of plays before its just snow without sound, but its steady quality loss.

Can it be negated with a top end VCR, or is it unavoidable?

But you can see the white carpet floor under the row below them. And then there's the ones in the bottom right corner, are you saying they're glued upside down to the wall (which the camera man is standing on)?

its magnetic storage and the earth is magnetic.

Also playback is achieved by passing it over another magnet

figure it out

Jokes on you. I watch my Anime on Laserdisc.

This is bullshit. I own tapes that are 30+years old and play with no issue, even with heavy use.

Depends on how well you care for them and the player. Keep your heads clean, keep your tapes away from direct sunlight and extreme heat and youll be fine. Avoid rewinding all the way to the beginning of the tape as the sudden stop slowly stretches and warps the tape. I have about a thousand VHS tapes that have had ton of use and most of which are 30+ years old and have been collecting them for over 20 years and in that time have picked up quite a bit of knowledge on the subject.

tilt your head left moron.

to the right is the floor. the box is a giveaway

to the bottom of the picture is the wall. it doesn't look like carpet. it's a picture that needs to be rotated

If that's your tape collection or you have access to it you really should upload some of it.

Pretty sure there's no copy of What's Micheal available online. Lots of older, less popular stuff like that can easily cease to be available.

Tapes only have a 50 year shelf life.

Tapes do degrade but you certainly couldn't make a blanket statement like as it is highly dependant on a lot of factors (quality of the tape, quality of the VHS, how well you store and care for them etc etc).

How much would it cost to bring back vcr tapes but higher quality? Like the HD tapes in the 2000s. Even though it's a dead technology I'm sure there would be even more of a demand for it now even if it's a niche market

bamp

i used to set vhs tapes on fire as a kid
mainly because it looked pretty fucking cool
now i just do it because it's an outdated video format

Being you must be fascinating.

Very nice, there are still a few animes that never got converted from tape to laserdisc or even DVD. I hold on to them for now but honestly I don't ever fire up with VHS player to watch them.