What is the greatest band/musician of all time?

What is the greatest band/musician of all time?

At the moment, i feel like i probably give it to Swans. i feel like that when they make a good album, it feels like it's way beyond music. it shakes you to your very core

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EhD3aG8J3pE
youtube.com/watch?v=6I2NUYf3efQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gucci mane is the greatest musician of all time
His IQ is extremely high also

>>of all time

hard question there op

>of all time
>At the moment

My answer is Animal Collective, both of all time and at the moment

The "At the moment" refers to "This is my opinion right now", because my opinion of which band is the best might change

1. Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Rolling Stones
5. Sonic Youth

Do you not know alot of music, or did you pick mainstream classic rock bands because you genuinely think it's the best music gets?

I genuinely think those are the 5 greatest discographies. Swans are about 80% meandering fillercore.

The first 50% of The Beatles discography is not very relevant, and Pink Floyd has some really weak albums throughout their discography (there are some masterpieces in there too, tho).

Neither of them reaches the level of Swans

I just listened to what I gathered were the 3 longest Swans songs and only the Glowing Man wasn't overflowing with filler. The one from To Be Kind and The Seer were the other two.

To Be Kind and The Seer have ZERO fillers, every track is a gem

I'm with you.

Greatest band - AMM
Greatest artist - Brian Ferneyhough

>i feel like that when they make a good album, it feels like it's way beyond music.
this is what i felt like when i saw them at primavera. It seemed like they were completely uninterested in the conventional uses of music. The sound they created was like a 6th band member. It was just there and everyone was feeling and interacting with it. Including the crowd. Truly transcendental concert.

Swans? they executed the same concept for 3 consecutive albums, only each time shittier than before. The seer was kinda alright, to be fair.

>3 completely different albums
>"They are all the same XD"

??????????????????

>What is the greatest band/musician of all time?
mark kozelek
swans will never be the great anything with how shitty gira lyrics are.

Gira lyrics are a work of a genius, are you serious?

>Gira lyrics are a work of a genius
examples?

"Now you be the mother and
I'll be your fool
I'll hide myself deep inside
Your crimson pool
The muddy water runs
Beneath your folds
You won't let me breathe;
You won't let me go
Now you'll be the stranger and
I'll be the white-skinned son
You'll blacken my innocence
With sugar and opium

The children were suffocating
Down in your damp cave
And you were the mother
And I was the sleeping slave
Protect me from violence
Hold me in your cool lips
You'll drug me with kindness
So I can pretend I exist
Now you be the only child
I'll suck on your breast
You'll feed me with gasoline
I'll burn my name in your head"

i like that song. but i still don't see the genius part

I guess we just have a different taste.

For me. just reading this lyrics has a substantial emotional impact on me

I like swans, but you sound like a hyped teenager.

autechre obviously

I'm 22.

and most "Teenagers" don't know to appreciate something like Swans

>swans will never be the great anything with how shitty gira lyrics are.
bet your name is fuck

You are unequivocally the worst trip this board has ever had, and that's saying a whole fucking lot.

>and most "Teenagers" don't know how to appreciate something like Swans
Yeah, you're definitely a teeanger.
wew

ok what exactly in do you find genius? is there any particular part that means something to you or gives you a substantial emotional impact? what, if any, overall message do you think he trying to convey?

>YOUR NAME IS FUCK
What did he mean by this?

>CUNT SHIT SPACE CUNT
yeah a real genius

Don't talk shit about Swans until you've listened to SFTB from front to back.

third eye blind has better lyrics than this pretentious bullshit. neckbeardcore

you actually couldnt have made it more obvious that youre crazyaga

Elvis. 10/10 performer with a 10/10 voice. His influence on music, musicians, and culture in general will never be surpassed.

if you search these lyrics in the archives, you'll see plenty of people replying to a post like yours.
what i'm saying is, stop recycling old discussions ffs fags

Yours is also an act. Fuck off to youtube until you can think for yourself fag

I've gotta say The Cure.

???

i did, and no i didnt.
and i dont want anybodys opinion, i want crazyagas

>Greatest of all time
>Animal Collective
Lol.

Same

:( :( :( :(

>i did, and no i didnt.
l2 search

>i want crazyagas
w/e fag

The genius of it is the bleak, surreal atmosphere it creates. those lyrics, just like the music, create a world of their own.

I agree that the lyrics add a lot to the mood of the album, probably better than a lot of lyrics do, but i don't think that makes them genius

>implying Kozelek's lyrics are anything more than inane ramblings of a blogger

tired of his shtick tbqh, his lyricism is forthright to a point where there is nothing poetic about it

I think something doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be genius. i think that creating this kind of powerful bleak atmosphere can also be considered genius.

I genuinely believe Death Grips are worth a shout for this, no meme. Creative, unique, thrilling and some legit great songwriting.

Radiohead duhhh.

Grimes senpai

/thread

We may as well end this shitty thread right here

/thread

We may as well end this shitty thread right here

/thread

We may as well end this shity thread right here

Act mature, Thom.

The Velvet Underground

Radiohead are great but they aren't at the same level of Swans in my opinion

Bob Dylan is objectively the most influential solo rock artist. Everyone from Gram Parsons to Chuck D to Patti Smith to Sly Stone has cited him an influence.

Holy fuck you're still here?

Listen to his pre-Benji albums you enormous fagtron. The rambly stuff is good in it's own right, but it's due to a pointed creative choice, not a lack of poetic ability.

youtube.com/watch?v=EhD3aG8J3pE
youtube.com/watch?v=6I2NUYf3efQ

what a shit opinion

>they aren't at the same level of Swans in my opinion

I agree they're much, much better. Swans has barely reached OKC levels of good

unironically this though and I am not a radiohead drone

This.

Man, i love radiohead, but they never made anything that is as emotionally impactful as Soundtracks For The Blind

I love all RH albums, the only ones that are (for me) less tan 8/10 are PH and TKOL, they have 3 of the most important pieces of art from the past 20 years Ok Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows

I could argue for In Rainbows but really how are we going to compare emotional density and impact? Entirely subjective subjects regardless of music knowledge

But like said they have objectively released three of the most important albums in the past two decades

In Rainbows is overrated as fuck. Amnesiac is better than In Rainbows.

Aniway, i'm not denying Radiohead made alot of great material, but look what Swans got in their discog: White Light, Soundtracks For The Blind, and the recent trilogy of 2010's albums.

Radiohead are maybe more popular than Swans, but they aren't better

Yes they are

>tfw swans has only made two albums that even remotely match the objective greatness of Kid A, OKC, Amnesiac, and IR
It sucks that Radiohead will stay the best band ever. Swans tried, and I respect their effort, but Radiohead will forever be objectively better.

The first half of the Beatles discography is dogshit bad. Love Me Do and I Wanna Hold Your Hand type shit, just downright terrible

You misspelled Chuck Berry

Crazyaga is the nigga of the world

This

Literally the only bad thing about early Beatles is the lyrics. Those songs are basically pop masterpieces and are far more musically interesting than they initially appear.

>the same level of Swans
Why should we take anything you say seriously you retard?

Exactly. Emotional impact isn't something that can be universally measured. I love Swans, they're one of my all time favourites, but they have never had the same emotional impact on me as Kid A has. Not yet anyway.

Stop pretending to like shitty 50's Rock n' Roll, this thread is about best music, not influential music that aged badly

You are acting like a 12 year old.

>this thread is about best music
>not influential music
Since quality is purely subjective, then one can only judge music by it's objective properties: how influential it was.

"Describe Elvis Presley? He was the greatest who ever was, is or ever will be."

- Chuck Berry

you forgot Queen fellow 9gagger

Have you ever been in love user?

>Elvis
>Chuck Berry
>aged badly

neck yourself you shit eating pleb

Do you prefer to listen to Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry over Swans and Radiohead?

>prefer
Not relevant.

Oh yeah it doesn't sound cheesy at all

To be fair, Swans sounds fairly cheesy

>uuggghhh I'm so edgy and the world is so terrible
>droning chords for 20 minutes
kek

These faggot that try way too hard to seem like they understand soo much about music ruin these fucking threads, nobody cares if Elvis Presley is influential, his music is fucking garbage

>Droning chords for 20 minutes
Literally when

>my opinion on the quality of his music is...
Not relevant.

See

We have Swans in the OP so it's neither about best nor influential music you retard

Hope faggots like you die so that we can stop regarding shit like Chuck Berry and those shitty old artist as the greatest of all time when their music stopped being enjoyable 60 years ago

>enjoyable
Not relevant.

Please pay attention. We already covered this.

No they have to come in here and pretend that they actually enjoy nigger rock n roll

>mommy they are enjoying black people music wah stop it

>This dead faggot made music that influenced artists I like, so his music is objectively better, even though it sounds like shit. Yes and the first photograph is a better work of art than The Godfather then.

Whom are you quoting?

amidst all this it becomes clear that CAN is actually the best band