>breaks into their lab
>discovers all their secrets
>they just knock him out and bring him to his house

explain

>feed a little lesbian girl
>get shot in the head

explain

A dead sheriff might raise suspicion

Also they bugged his house so they probably wanted to find out whether he was alone on this or not

It would be way harder to explain the death of the town sheriff as it would draw a ton more media attention and disrupt the community. They need everything to be normal, and by hoping to make him forget about it all with the drugs, they thought they could write it all off as a weird dream or something. Worst case, they figured that if he did still remember, they would have put the fear of god into him. Which would then keep him from acting out again because he knew their reach/power. RIP Ben :(

explain

What was a bigger cuck? Him or Steve?

They could literally hide him in the Upside/Down you faggots. Stop saying dumb shit that "explains" this fucking shitshow.

A sheriff disapearing would raise suspicion too you neutron star

Boy you must be a blast to hang around

they were only allowed to kill pedophiles

Mike is the biggest cuck. He even got mad when Lucas called him out on that

Said literally everyone who ever watched Stranger Things.
The entire Police Department knows Chief Hopper suspects the lab, at least his two mates do, so they couldn't just get rid of him. Makes total sense.

Raise suspicion against who you chump?
Only he was after the Hawkins lab and no one knew he was going there
They could stage a suicide like a drug overdose and everyone was going to buy it or just keep him in there and interrogate him or throw him in the void
Everything would make more sense than just bringing him home

The answer is probably the same why he just drives away with some unknown people in the end. He probably knew more than us all along and those people are the enemies of Modine's group.

But they didn't know he was the only one involved which makes a huge difference. Hence the bugs in the house. If he had a partner who knew he was there that night they'd have been fucked if he mysteriously disappeared or wound up dead

It's a fucking terrible show that's all there really is to it.

>Implying the show didn't have a multitude of other plotholes.

Show was mediocre I still can't grasp what all the noise is about.

>so they couldn't just get rid of him.
Why not?

Then explain why the second time around they were prepared to fucking kill him?

>It would be way harder to explain the death of the town sheriff

Not really. they even said the second time they caught him that they are going to make it look like a drug overdose and that no one would question it because Hopper was such a mess.

This
OP is dumb

Last resort

>raise suspicion
>about a fucking super secret govt agency that can literally get a way with killing anyone
Who is gonna investigate Hopper's death you retards? Because the FBI wouldn't, which leaves literally no one else.

>org doesn't want yet another fucking murder associated with them

Holy shit you're stupid

LE MASSIVE PLOT HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because a character's motivation is different than yours doesn't mean it's fucking invalid you fucking morons.

>org doesn't want yet another fucking murder associated with them

The point is they have way more reasons to murder Hopper than they had to kill the restaurant owner, you fucking imbecile.

Rampant speculation about motivations that go against logic and reason is not a substitute for shitty and lazy writing.

And just all the town wondering why random people are dying and disappearing. Killing everyone is bad for business. Admittedly killing the cook was a bad idea but killing the town sheriff would be even worse

Anyone who finds it suspicious and isn't in on the whole thing? The other cops from his precinct for a start?

His transition from "dis bitch be crazy" to tinfoil hat was unnecessarily fast. I mean really, you are just gonna storm the castle on whim?

Check out this sperging and laugh everyone

Lmao he worked for Brenner and thats why he told them where 11 is and why brenner's guys took him into that limo

Good job using your noggin Jr. you are the reason mediocre shows like this are hailed as "amazing."

If they killed him the other cops might have their suspicions raised but you are forgetting a pretty big part of the dude's character, he's a chronic drinker and he has pills he has to pop (I'm guessing depression from the death of his daughter.) He was acting pretty fucking flighty and the guys at the precinct thought he was acting really fucking weird, it wouldn't be outside the realm of a police officer's thoughts to decide maybe he just commit suicide or decided to "start over" without telling anyone.

The government's choice was ether A)Kill him and possibly have people poking around asking questions without any proof. B) Let him live with the possibility of recruiting believers to combat what he saw (which is exactly what happened)

Anyway you cut it, killing him would have been in the best interest of the government. It was extremely lazy writing and if it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't have bothered to watch the rest of the series.

There are some mediocre reasons, but it's really because he's a Gary Stu.

>B) Let him live with the possibility of recruiting believers to combat what he saw (which is exactly what happened)

Which is why they bugged the house, just because you have the attention span of a herring doesn't mean it's a plot hole

yeah it was stupid as hell
apparently the cook had to die because he knew too much but the sheriff strolling right in and looking at their space vagina wasn't worth killing over

But he was right about everything

The govt agency suspected that he knew the whereabouts of 11. Or in the very least knew the someone who knew the whereabouts of 11. So they took him back home and bugged his house in the hopes of overhearing a conversation.

Not to mention the difference between bumping off a cook from a diner vs. bumping off the town sheriff is pretty major. If he disappeared after he started his investigation and after he already visited the joint with his two deputies it'd put the agency in the spotlight.

At least that was my interpretation.

Is this the power of stupidity? Because it literally doesn't fucking matter what the townsfolk think - if the fucking FBI tells people 'he had a lot of drugs in him and it appears he took his own life', no one is going to question them, let alone fucking uncover dirt on the super secret CIA sanctioned lab during high tensions with the Soviets.

>be a restaurant owner who mind his own business and knows nothing
>you have to die for shock value cause you're irrelevant to the story
>invade their lab enter the restricted area discover their secrets
>have a ride back home

how can anyone on their right mind even try to defend this?

>just because you have the attention span of a herring doesn't mean it's a plot hole

Holy shit retard did you not read the post? I've already explained why killing him would make a lot more sense. There is less of a threat to have no witnesses then to have a "unreliable" witness especially when the "unreliable" witness is the fucking sheriff. Why go through the trouble of bugging a dude's place when you can just kill him and remove all leads/witnesses? There is no defense for the shitty writing.

>They could literally hide him in the Upside/Down you faggots

Did you even watch the show you gay boi?

They didn't even know what it was, when they sent their own guy to investigate it he was eaten within 30 seconds.

>Going to kill a burger shop owner who knows literally nothing
>Not going to kill the police sheriff who knows everything

Wow, you are a fucking genius.

And if someone else knew he was there that night they'd have called bullshit on that and possibly made it worse by calling the press or some shit so they bugged his house first to know whether or not he was alone on it. Not fucking rocket science to figure that out

this guy was a depressed alcoholic. Staging a suicide wouldn't have been suspicous at all.

>it he was eaten within 30 seconds
>Implying it wouldn't do the same to a dead body
>Implying that wouldn't be the best solution for dumping a body

Wow you people are fucking retarded, there are so many of you, no wonder this show was popular.

>we don't know if he alone or not so we will just let him free and give him the chance to tell everyone what he discovered

wow what a genius plan

>Kill a Sheriff
>Implying the FBI wouldn't get involved
>Implying they wouldn't want to know what the fuck a interdimensonal portal was doing in the middle of a facility

Who else fucking knew he went there you stupid fucking retard? The black cop he explains everything to himself wasn't buying his shit.

Also even if someone fucking knew, so fucking what? Again, we're talking about a super secret govt agency that deals in the fucking psychic and paranormal. El's mother knew the fucking truth and look how it turned out for her. You think it's gonna be any different for anyone else?

But that's not even relevant because here's the thing - HOPPERS. KNOWS. EVERYTHING. How the fuck could that be any worse than some random making a connection no one would believe them on?

Are you underage? Because no adult could be this fucking stupid.

First you say hide him in the upside down and now you say kill him and dumb his body in the upsidedown. Which is it?

>Implying the FBI wouldn't get involved

And you people are saying im the one with no attention span?

IT WAS THE GOVERNMENT. I'm guessing with their ability to just kill at random they are probably a step above the FBI with all the shit they were doing and the "power" they presented.

they killed this diner guy for no reason at all. He didn't suspect anything. They were about to storm a neighboorhood with a fucking army. Yet they hesitate to kill someone who literally uncoverd all their secrets and has been on the edge of suicide anyway.

>The FBI would totally investigate and punish a CIA sanctioned lab facility for killing a sheriff to hide state secrets

I didn't say hide him, that was a different person. I was just responding to the fact that getting rid of him would be the best protocol and the "upside down" is the king of dumping grounds. Hiding him doesn't even make sense, they just needed to get rid of him and there is literally no good reason why they didn't.

>The perfect setup
>Shit we don't want this to be predictable we better pull a M. Nightshamalamadingdong

Literally the creative process behind the show.

The same way the CIA experimented for decades on US citizens with the MK ultra program? Or the fact that there was a team designated to design falseflag terror attacks to create homeland support for invasions in any country in the world?

Benny is just a diner owner in bumfuck murrica. The chief was someone a bit high profile than Benny, worked in the city before, and had connections.

Obviously last resort, but they still couldn't because he finally spilled he knows where the girl is, and he did say he had connections to newspapers.

Did anyone else have a 180 on his character? He seemed like he was going to be a useless drunk fuck and then turned out to be the best part of the show.

I liked Jonathan. He was responsible.

No user, you're the only one.

Was the agency thing actually government run or was it just some third party?

People in this city didn't give a shit about anything. They cared a bit for Will, but that's it. "Oh the kid just ran away" was an excuse enough to stop looking for Barb. I don't mind that they bought this story, but that shouldn't have stop them from searching for her. She was still a missing minor.

This. They first needed to know if he was alone in this or if he knew where the girl is.

I thought they were trying to make it look like he od'd but the drugs didnt kill him. still doesnt make sense, sloppy plothole but still liked the series.

Good catch man. Hopefully more people come around to your way of thinking

They had more reason to kill the restaurant owner since he saw the girl and probably her powers, and he was a nobody.

>Benny, worked in the city before, and had connections
>This explains why they would let someone who saw all of their secrets live to see the light of day

Ok, welp. I'm done, I see why marketing is so important. Once something has a certain amount of hype it doesn't matter how bad the product is.

Stranger Things is a show that has terrible plot development and execution, I'm not a contrarian I wanted to like the show. The point where they actually let the police chief survive because "reasons" is the point where I realized the writers were insulting my intelligence.

It's the same with Steve. He got redeemed in the end.

>People on this board actually defend this blatant plothole

Why? I like the show but c'mon. Be realistic.

>Implying Froglad wasn't the best part of the show.

Maybe the Hawking labs guys were speaking the truth when they said they just wanted to help and didn't want to murder more murricans?

Obviously the diner guy had to die to show how stakes are high. There are as many headcanon reasons for the sheriff not to die than there are reasons for the gubmint to kill him.

He was quite known in this town. People were even surprised by his suicide. If you think about it, his death was the thing that got Hoppers suspicious in the first place.

>The point where they actually let the police chief survive because "reasons" is the point where I realized the writers were insulting my intelligence.
I still enjoyed it for the characters and setting, but it was at this moment that I stopped caring about the story for the same reason.

It really is insulting.

The only people surprised were his close fishing buddy and the chief. He really is a nobody and seemed like a bachelor too, sadly.

He used to work for the government

This is the only possible thing. The chief could have worked for someone higher in the past, so it's harder to touch him.

Why do you like a show that can't even color in it's shadowy government organization paint-by-numbers book properly?

I mean it's one bad plot point.

No television show or movie is perfect.

They thought he was working for another agency and wanted to know what he knew you fucking IDIOOOOTS

True, but not all holes have to be craters. There's a difference between small plot holes and huge gaping ones.

The other two cops mentioned that he worked in the city, the way they said that implicated to me that Hopper used to be a bigger fish but somehow got degraded to a small town chief position

yeah, he flatout said he has proofs and gave them to his friend at the times. disappearing him would've been risky.

Don't you think a show that can't even maintain simple consistency in its plot might not actually be that good? Especially when all they are doing is referencing other plot points?

I hope those guy gets lots and lots of roles.

>Because it would make no sense if he went from a big fish to a small fish, and then a small depressed borderline suicide fish to dead fish

Stop defending bad plot points.

Name one television show without a plothole.

Not that user and I'm not defending this plot point, but the only thing I can see it working out is if the chief turned out to be a really big fish when he was in the city.

the wire

You're being very loose with the term plot hole. Establishing an evil organization that doesn't hesitate to kill people even tangentially related to what they are doing and then having them suddenly let people (who actually know what they are about) go without giving any reason goes beyond a plot hole. The whole show is filled with lazy and terrible writing like this, it's not some anomalous hole in the plot.

Do you know what that word means? Because I'm pretty sure you don't.

Plot demanded he remain alive.

If they'd let Benny live he would have realised when the real social security lady turned up that something was wrong, and then could have begun digging around. Up until that point Eleven hadn't met anyone else and they thought they'd got her back.

They let Hopper live and bugged his trailer because they thought he might know where Eleven was, they must have thought that's how he found out about the lab.

shit writing in a shit show
/thread

>they listened to Benny's call
>contact the social services he contacted
>'hey we've picked up the case you don't have to worry about it'
>go and pick up girl
You're right though, the CIA isn't smart enough to plan something like this. They're only good at killing people :^)

So a fry cook finding out is more important than the sheriff. Got it.

Because there's nothing at all suspicious about getting a phone call from some random saying they've picked up the girl you just found out about and probably haven't told anyone outside your office about. They'd have to tie up that loose end too.

Was he "our guy"?

it's less suspicious that the guy who called killed himself and let the kid run away a couple hours after he contacted social service?

This was more unbelievable considering they killed the cook in his own restaurant while trying to find her.

underrated post.