Is it Refn's worst?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE
youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8hF8ukTWE
mega.nz/#!vYMQVQiK!F3ZieW-491RZXX91b3wKfACfGkuVfgSP2wExWhV7tCY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the more I read about it the more I like it

OGF is the worst

It's not his worst no, it's among his best. I slightly prefer OGF as his opus thus far, a triumph of the visual form, a nearly silent film. But this is about as great, just beautiful.

Refn is the most contrived pretentious director I know.

This is the most contrived pretentious criticism I know.

I think only god forgives is worse because it felt like he just wanted to go for full shock value.

its an "Emperor's new clothes" movie,
yes its shit, it has no plot, and its pretentious as fuck, makes painfully obvious use of shock value and has little to no redeeming qualities overall.
but if you say that then its supporters will simply say that you "just dont get it..." or any other litany of made up explanations

>that Chad reference
Does Refn browse this shithole? We already know he has powerful autism

>I thought the moon looked like a big round eye

BRAVO

I need to think. When his name's attached to something I don't watch it.

>having to brainwash yourself into liking a movie

kek

What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Nobody knows what this senile old man is saying.

it was a visual wank fest, Fanning is pure eye candy too.

>can't handle the possibility that people genuinely enjoyed and got something from the experience while he just wasted several hours watching and then talking shit about it

Dig your own grave, dingleberryfuck

Yeah. It didn't beat OGF for me

why is she so cute bros

OGF is his most prententious work though.

Haven't seen all of his work, but for me:

Drive > TND > OGF > Valhalla Rising

>Who wants sour milk when you could have fresh meat?

BRAVO REFN

Nope. Easily one of his best, actually. It's like he took the best out of his more recent efforts, from "Valhalla Rising" to "Only God Forgives" and cooked them into this tasty, hyperstylised stew that has REFN written all over it.
An exercise in brand-recognition if you will, but a bloody effective one!

It's a "sit back and enjoy the trip" movie and everyone looking for hidden depth and complexity in a Refn movie should rethink their attitude towards this director. Refn is as straightforward as it gets. He's a balls-out "love it or hate it" director, albeit one with a somewhat warped mind, to say the least.

He basically says that he couldn't work within the confines of the Hollywood studio system. Which he doesn't.

Probably his best:

TND>Bronson>Drive>VR>OGF

haven't seen the rest.

Perfect casting choice as well. The whole movie was just REALLY well cast.
and it was nice to see a non-typecast Keanu Reeves for once. He was surprisingly convincing as an unlikeable creep.

Watch the Pusher movies. They're rather straightforward. But straightforward Refn is best Refn.

That like how a broken clock is right twice a day, the studio system may have allowed Refn to make a good film either by vision (the genius he mentions) or by accident despite it being broken(the broken clock comparison)

Sup Forums's reading comprehension level, everybody

Because she's cute.

What's your problem, m8?

He's talking about OGF there. It's all in the documentary.

I just watched it last night, thought it was really good.. Also really weird though as well. Did only the one girl eat her, or all three?

Sounds like a chronic condition.

There's nothing that uniquely visual about his work. Unless you consider neon pink fancy.

WHOAH

I liked it. I thought it was pretty.

>brand-recognition

Exactly. It's at the level of commercial advertising: Buy Brand Refn.

It had some very pretty cinematography. True it does resemble a commercial at some points. but I think that's on purpose considering the film has to do with the fashion industry.

I think it's his personal best. Haven't watched OGF or the Pusher trilogy, but in comparison to the his other films, it's better visually and more complete.

Yup. It worked surprisingly well though.

Only for fools.

He's purposefully bad. Makes sense, but thismakes me think he is somewhat aware of his short-comings and is conflicted by them.

It was pretty good considering I watched all of it, unlike God only Forgives of which I couldn't make it 20 minutes in. Ruby and keanus character were the only good performances, Hendricks should have been in much more of it.

If being able to watch the duration of a film was any measure of its quality, there would be no bad reviews from critics.

You think I'm a critic? I only watch what I enjoy. I watch garbage when I'm not alone though, to be social, thought that's really rare.

>that has REFN written all over it.
N
͏W
͏ ͏R

Discussing a movie involves criticism. Your point is invalid.

If you see the documentary through to the end he realizes that it's better to make a polarized personal film than one that is either universally liked or disliked but not living up to his vision
In the end after Cannes he just wants to go back home walk his daughter to school

Nah, I have no point, nor do you, this is fucking Sup Forums and I sure wish it were a place that involved what you refer to as "discussion".

>Nah, I have no point, nor do you, this is fucking Sup Forums and I sure wish it were a place that involved what you refer to as "discussion".

epic, nice meme, thanks for the (You)

>it's better to forcefully not know what you're doing.

I don't see that he had a choice. It just makes for bad art.

I liked it at first but now I've seen that every pleb and that tasteless pleb that use to spam images of chang and called trash like GBH Anderson "artistic manifesto" loves it too
i hate it

(chang being the police officer from OGF[another pleb flick])

I don't think he really didn't know what he was doing, he was just getting frustrated by shooting in an alien environment and culture. I mean they got funding for the movie by getting paid in wads of cash just for having Refn and Goose show up at some Thai film festival so it was clear that it was a risky production. And Refn would know that, his career almost ended with Fear X.

This is all supposition based on conjectures.

I downloaded Valhalla Rising
is there suppose to be strange sounding cracking sound through it?
or did I just got bad quality torrent?

Pusher 2 is kino as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=cU8HrO7XuiE

I imagine this is a common question that comes with torrenting refn movies:

>Is the movie shitty or is it just a shitty download.

Pretty bad. I liked pervert Keanu and some of the visuals but thats about it. Looking back i don't even remember much of the movie because it felt so boring and disconnected.
I never loved OGF but at least it was memorable.

gb2redddit

no meme pls

I heard he's directing a documentary for the Trump campaign. Should be interesting.

probably the most pretentious piece of garbage flick I've seen
I hate directors like Refn with a passion, even that faggot Innaritu isn't as bad as him

he should've stuck to a simpler format like in the pusher films

youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8hF8ukTWE

pretty interchangeable, except with more bass

Just get the fuck out!

>tfw she will never drink your blood

Raping and/or killing a 13 year old runnaway is pretty dark. I kinda hate Keanu now

>three triangles
>triangles also stand for vagina, 3 vaginas
>the three girls corner jesse in a triangular formation with elle standing in the middle
>if you remove the inner triangle and connect the rest it becomes a singular triangle
>two girls have to die to form a singular triangle
>sarah is the only one who survives, she has become one, she became the neon demon

didn't Ruby survive aswell? Anyway, sharp observation.

This is a real person who posted this.

you're a retard if you're denying that it fits the storyline.

Are you the same cmo that use to post the gif of that gurl that was red and gyrating around
pls finally give source

>hasn't seem My Life
It's required Sup Forums viewing

Only for unintelligent man babies.

You can learn what not to do while making a film

>But she can drink my milk

MODS PLZ

I was just expressing that I was impressed.

Not everyone is conspiring against you.

I guess Refn is on the long learning curve.

Too bad i can't fucking find it anywhere

mega.nz/#!vYMQVQiK!F3ZieW-491RZXX91b3wKfACfGkuVfgSP2wExWhV7tCY

it's not on yt anymore

i assumed she died here

Thanks dude

it's ambiguous but Malone says its a ritual

>How do you interpret your character’s final scene?

>The only way I could think of it was that I had to be very literal. I couldn’t think of it as, “This is the seventh girl she’s eaten, and this is a ritual of magic,” although it absolutely could be. For me, it was a ritual that happens after you are able to be close to someone. It’s a highly teenage state, actually, where you’ve just left the lips of your lover, and you come back, and you’re swooning at the moon, and you’re touching where they’ve touched. It’s a very beautiful, nostalgic point of view. But within that, there’s the twist of sort of this bloodletting, which you feel it’s almost like something’s happening inside of her body that’s going back to the birth, or menstruation, or a rebirth. It feels so positive, where, normally, blood feels so negative. I like that I was able to create a holistic, love-like ritual that ended in a rebirth.

anyone have a mega for neon demon

Hint: you're warm

He sounds so intelligent.

Already checked the archives and there weren't any for mega links, only a suggestion to check out the megalink subreddit, which is what I'm doing now
I prefer to not go on a public tracker whenever possible, but thank you for the (you)

I thought it was piss, not blood. Did she cut herself?

no his movies are pretty visually distinct
the lighting and editing of his movies are definitely not generic by any measure

It's 5 posts above yours.

Thanks for being specific.

jena malone is great, i want to see more of her

elle was miscast. she's cute but not "high fashion" beautiful. abbey lee was the star of the film.

Isn't that to my life directed by refn

apparently my problem is that I can read and infer meaning at above a 6th grade level

my bad user thats My Life, but yeah i got it on the subreddit too, after renting it initially