“I fucking hate the word ‘edgy’”.”

“I fucking hate the word ‘edgy’”.”
— Alice Glass (on spin.com e-mail interview)

Who?

I hate washed up indie-sphere girls who get dug up for their hot opinions.

Call me back when Alice releases anything like her first album.

>crystal castle debut
>her album

Lmao

that's cause she's an edge lord

All she contributed was screaming.

Who even cares about Crystal Castles anymore? I thought that shit performance at Coachella put them in the grave?

why does this deserve it's own thread OP?

edge lord doesn't like being called edgy. What's new.

She's completely right, even though she's going to be shit on by all you faggots who want to safeguard your oh so precious buzzword.

"Edgy" has been overused on here so much that it has almost completely lost any meaning. It's so annoying how any art that portrays dark, depressing, angry, or nihilistic themes will immediately be shit on by hundreds of meme-spouting teenagers who offer literally no criticism other than the word "edgy."

because it's largely insincere.
blues musicians had shitty lives but they go and scream about it, put on make up, and mall goth it up.
it's "edgy" cause it's an adolescent way to communicate those emotions. just imagine an adult acting like a teenager and tell me there's nothing pathetic about that.

People can shitpost about something like Nick Drake being edgy but that doesn't invalidate when someone calls Linkin Park edgy.

>because it's largely insincere.

how are you in literally any place to judge that without having any knowledge of the personal lives or thoughts of any of the artists you criticize as edgy.

Chesters recent death is a perfect example of the problem with the word "edgy." His music and lyrics have always been the subject of relentless memes, all based around the fact that the music was percieved as extremely "edgy." If you're theory is to be believed, this criticism would be based around the fact that the lyrics were insincere. Yet apparently the darkness he was experiencing was so sincere he actually ended his own fucking life.

You, and everyone else who uses the word "edgy" honestly is in no position to judge sincerity or not. This is without even mentioning the fact that art should be seperated from the artist and if a piece of art shows darkness or anger you shouldnt be scrutinizing the artists life like some autistic freak to determine the legitimacy of the feelings that the artist portrays in their work.

nice one line to hang on totally ignoring the rest of the post
0/10

The reason Chester's lyrics were edgy was because he came across as a tryhard faggot. Quit wearing nu-metal t-shirts, edgester

I love how you criticize adolescent behaviour, then make a post like this.

I'll take it as a proper concession though. Try harder next time.

I have no self awareness: the post

wew edgy

>terrible vocalist with unironic edgy fashion sense doesn't like the word edgy

really strains my brains

do you think in buzzwords too? your brain and vocabulary are fucked my dude.

If you had any reading comprehension you would see that I already rebutted this.

>You, and everyone else who uses the word "edgy" honestly is in no position to judge sincerity or not.

I don't listen to nu-metal and I think LP's music is bad btw, but for actual reasons and not just LE EDGY MEME

>You, and everyone else who uses the word "edgy" honestly is in no position to judge sincerity or not.
It doesn't matter if Linkin Park guy actually had problems or not. His lyrics came across like a angsty, pimple faced teenager wrote them. A lot of people found them hilarious and tryhard. Just like most things that can genuinely be called edgy. I know you were bullied with the words typically called "buzzwords" but you've gotta realize that if it fits it ships.

>His lyrics came across like a angsty, pimple faced teenager wrote them. A lot of people found them hilarious and tryhard.

Right, well why don't you actually say that when criticizing the music? I agree, a lot of LP's music has really poor lyricism. But you know what else sounds like it's being written by ansty pimple faced teenagers? Endless posts of EDGYYY on every other thread, even regarding artists that wouldn't normally be considered edgy by the standards of most people.

It's an annoying, obnoxious and pretentious buzzword and I agree with Alice when she says she hates it.

shit i hate it too, people over use it, but at the same time sometimes it fits the bill.

>j-just a coincidence the music got worse and stopped developing after she left

>tryhard
A childish criticism. Any implication that putting forth effort to create art is somehow bad is ridiculous. Is "pretentious" the word you're looking for?

no, tryhard is the right word. it's used to denote when someone knowingly or unknowingly is shit, but instead of taking a step back and analyzing what went wrong they just decide to put more effort in.

>Right, well why don't you actually say that when criticizing the music?
because calling it edgy sums it all up in one word.
>But you know what else sounds like it's being written by ansty pimple faced teenagers? Endless posts of EDGYYY on every other thread
maybe to you personally. If I see someone calling some nu-metal garbage edgy, the only thing I'm thinking is "they're not wrong"
>even regarding artists that wouldn't normally be considered edgy by the standards of most people.
now you're just getting mad at shitposting.
If it fits it ships, bud. If you find a single word that sums up and puts down the annoying 2000s tier suburban angst, feel free to use it. Same to go with any other "overused buzzword". If you find a single word that sums up what "autism", "SJW", "retarded" etc etc does as efficiently, feel free to use it.

>knowingly
If someone knows they're shit but keeps putting out content, this does not make him a "tryhard". Makes no sense. If anything, it means they don't try and don't care much at all.
>unknowingly
If they don't know they suck, putting forth effort into their art is the logical thing to do in order to be successful or improve.

no, and no. you obviously don't play instruments/have never made a bad song.
you don't know what you're talking about

Imagine going this far to defend a shitty buzzword

imagine getting mad at a word on Sup Forums

Yes, I play instruments and have definitely made terrible songs. This is irrelevant though because I'm talking about lyrics, you goon. Your logic is flawed. Saying "no" does not dispute either of my points. There is literally nothing wrong with "trying hard". I think you mean LP lyrics are edgy? Cringey? Again, maybe pretentious? But "tryhard" is what some lazy loser calls someone else who actually gives a shit about their work.

Nobody says that anymore

Actual suicide is the most edgy thing you can do next to school shootings.