I have a question for french speaking anons here : How do you know if a noun is masculin or féminin...

I have a question for french speaking anons here : How do you know if a noun is masculin or féminin ? I have a yuuuge problem with articles and constantly use wrong ones which is frankly embarrassing.

French here, don't mind the flag, I just got lost.

And there is no answer, we just know because it's our native language.
I think you should ask people who learned French the hard way.

Maybe words ending with "e" are feminine more than 50% of the time. There are lots of exceptions though (le verre, le lycée, la maison, etc.), but if you don't know, it would be a good start.

Also, nouns ending with "tion" are almost always feminine (une éducation, une institution, une humiliation, une attention, etc.). They are also almost always the same words in English and French (minus the spelling). That's free vocabulary for you!

Some just make sense, some are derived from a category (ideal notions like liberté are feminine) a large number you have to remember. Including the article when learning names is how it's taught to French kids, certainly can't hurt.

There is no absolute rule, most of the time you need to learn them

thanks guys, I knew about words ending with 'e' and the exceptions. Just was curious if there is a secret key or method that you use.

Do you cringe if a foreigner makes such a basic mistake?

You have to memorize the proper article for each noun.

La Polaca senioras

You're on the right path.
And no, I may laugh if the mistake is funny, but I always try to encourage people who are genuinely learning my language and participate in spreading French culture.

This desu

>French """"culture""""
heh m8

There's no rule, personnaly I just know because I heard it, it's like that and that's how it is lel

good to know, thanks man
żenadłem

No bully Polaaa ~

nipah~~

Other people have pretty much responded perfectly. But I don't know how people who come from languages with no gender do to not assign gender to everything. I guess it's weird how I don't even question that a table is feminine, while a glass is masculine, but still.

If you can fuck the item it's feminine

table is feminine
frog is feminine

>How do you know if a noun is masculin or féminin ?
When I was attending French classes, one of our teachers presented us with a sheet with something based on some English professor's research on the French language. It showed us the letters on which certain French words ended, and what percentage of it was what gender. In many cases you could guess the gender of a word with 90%+ accuracy.

Such a shame that I lost it.

No rule
Gendered languages are a fucking meme

Even some frenchies have difficulties with some words, like "un pétale" or "un tentacule".

French is a retarded language mate don't try to understand the mind of a Frenchman

W... What sort of table ya got over there, France?

>yfw english language has been degenerated by french language because of anglo predominance to lost vs us